Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby chingy248 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:34 pm

Andrew Goudelock with 24 points on 8-of-12 shooting. Just putting that out in the universe.

chingy248

Postby OX1947 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:50 pm

G-Lock can ball. The guy looked like CP3 getting in and out of the lane and making shots. It doesnt make sense why this guy doesnt have a job somewhere, is he really that bad in practice or behind the scenes or something?
OX1947

Postby Amoray on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:00 pm

The Lakers should bring him back.
Amoray

Postby chingy248 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Last edited by chingy248 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingy248

Postby chingy248 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:39 pm

chingy248 wrote:Andrew Goudelock dominated Saturday's game vs. the Grizzlies in Las Vegas, scoring 26 points on 9-of-15 shooting, with four rebounds, two assists and two steals.
He drained 3-of-5 shots from downtown, and if nothing else he increased the odds that he'll earn an NBA contract this season, with the Bulls (whom he's playing for during Summer League) or another team.
chingy248

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:52 pm

Yeah, he seems to do really well in summer league and the D-League, but in the NBA he's a SG in a PG body. I like the guy, I do, but he doesn't seem good enough to stick around here, I doubt we bring him back a 3rd time
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:01 pm

The plan is coming together....

Nash / Farmar / Blake
Kobe / Meeks
Young / Johnson / _____
Hill / ____ / Kelly
Pau / Kaman / Sacre

One more SF, one more PF and let's go to battle. :jam2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby chingy248 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:07 pm

Doc Brown wrote:The plan is coming together....

Nash / Farmar / Blake
Kobe / Meeks / Machine
Young / Johnson /
Hill / Odom / Kelly
Pau / Kaman / Sacre

chingy248

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:11 am

lakersin4 wrote:
live and die in LA wrote:Defense on the wing is desperately needed. I like these 3:

Marquis Daniels
Wesley Johnson
Ronnie Brewer

I'd add Dominic McGuire, Alan Anderson, Sam Young, James Johnson to that list.. signing both Wesley Johnson & McGuire would be ideal in my opinion.

Needless to say I'm getting more excited about this offseason with every move we make.. Bring in LO, McGuire, Sasha..

Nash/Blake/Farmar
Kobe/Sasha/Meeks
Young/Johnson/McGuire
LO/Hill/R-Kelly
Pau/Kaman/Sacre

If we roll into next season with that as our 15, I think this will be the best & most enjoyable to watch Laker team since the 07-10 teams.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:02 am

Doc Brown wrote:The plan is coming together....

Nash / Farmar / Blake
Kobe / Meeks
Young / Johnson / _____
Hill / ____ / Kelly
Pau / Kaman / Sacre

Nash/Farmar/Blake
Kobe/Meeks
Young/Johnson/(Douglas-Roberts?)
(Odom?)/ Hill/Kelly
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre

Role with it. I moved Hill to the bench because a bench of Farmar/Meeks/Johnson/Hill is CRAZY athletic, fast, moves well, and is super dynamic in the open floor. I just love thinking about that bench.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:02 am

Is there any nice " gamble " ala Young/ Wesley Johnson available out there ? This is the right thing to do instead of bringing back ex Lakers ...

Maybe a D League player ?
wcsoldier81

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:12 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Is there any nice " gamble " ala Young/ Wesley Johnson available out there ? This is the right thing to do instead of bringing back ex Lakers ...

Maybe a D League player ?

The ex Lakers some of us still want are Sasha (shooter) & LO (big).. I don't think there are any SG shooters left that have Johnson/Young level potential or even close to it.. Alan Anderson is a shooter I'd bring in over the Machine.. There's no young bigs out there for us to get for the minimum.. Closest thing to it was Brandan Wright & the Mavs are offering him 4m a year.. It's pretty much LO or K-Mart at this point unless you want to trust Kelly & Sacre to be our 4th & 5th bigs..
lakersin4

Postby TheOp on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:34 am

Sign Sasha and LO for depth. Trade Blake for another SF

Nash/Farmar/Sasha
Kobe/Young/Meeks
Wes/New SF
Pau/Odom
Hill/Kaman

Thats a crazy deep team.
TheOp

Postby Nashty Gal on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:40 am

loving the young and Johnson pick up. but lets not forget about Sasha Mitch!

and please gtfo steve blake
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby WilliamHaven on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:03 am

CDR
Brand
Wright
Kenyon
Odom
Mullens

see if we can snag a couple of those
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:20 am

We could now use a forward with length and speed...

Wes and Young are both rather undersized. A guy like Melo, James or Durant is going to eat them alive.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:39 am

Helljumper wrote:I don't think Farmar came here to be a third stringer and I doubt Nate would come for the minimum to split minutes as a back-up PG. I think we trade Blake for a SF and then bring in someone like Selby to back-up Nash/Farmar.

I'm not saying Farmar wouldn't see minutes.. This is Antoni we're talking about here.. He'll go small with 2 PG's mix & match Nash/Farmar/Nate with Kobe/Young/Johnson at SF.. Johnson & Young are both 6'7.. I think on an Antoni team, that might qualify you as a stretch 4. Meeks will end up right back in the doghouse racking up DNP-CD's.
lakersin4

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:00 am

KB24 wrote:We could now use a forward with length and speed...

Wes and Young are both rather undersized. A guy like Melo, James or Durant is going to eat them alive.

If we can trade Blake or Blake & Meeks for Ariza or another SF around that level, obviously that would be better than what we can do in free agency at this point.

Sam Young & Dominic McGuire are probably the only SF's left that have the young legs, size, & athleticism to guard the guys you named. Although really, noone can guard those guys.. But yeah, we do need a wing with size.. We had 2 guys with size that could guard the bigger SF's in MWP & Earl Clark.. Tough shoes to fill with only minimum contracts to offer. Hopefully we'll sign LO & he'll help out some when those big SF's are playing at PF, but we need a SF that can play some D.

I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Stephen Jackson.. He's still a good defender & brings intensity when you're able to keep him focused.. We have a team full of guys that are happy to be here now.. Brought in 3 young free agents that should really push the pace & make this a fun team to be a part of, I think Captain Jack would buy in. & if he doesn't, I think the rest of the team's chemistry will be too good for him to have any negative impact..

Then we leave the 15th spot open & possibly use it to give CDR a shot.. That kid was so good in college, playing with & against guys that went on to become superstars in the NBA & he was able to just take over games & look like the best player on the court. Some guys just need a chance to play with the right group of players/find the right situation for them.. Like Gerald Green, who worked out for us & looked like he was on his way out of the league, then ended up having a "breakout season" & getting a nice contract on a contender.. He hasn't lived up to his contract so far but maybe CDR will be different.. I think if we have Kobe/Young/Johnson/Jackson/Meeks as our wings, we can afford to take the shot on CDR.. If he beats someone out to make the rotation, good for him.. If not, he spends more time in the D-League & we still have plenty of depth on the wings.
lakersin4

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:19 am

If LO decides not to sign with us, I'd take a flyer on Tyrus Thomas for the remaining PF slot. Young, athletic shot blocker. He put up some really good numbers a couple of years ago. Floundered in Charlotte last year. But, who doesn't stink it up there? Biggest thing is keeping his crazy wife away from the rest of the wives.
Last edited by CarolinaLakerFan on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby kblo247 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:24 am

Good thing Melo and Bron are 4s now
kblo247

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:40 am

kblo247 wrote:

Good thing Melo and Bron are 4s now

Also a good thing that we only have to worry about it for 1 season, since Melo will be a Laker next summer.

The Atlanta Hawks will match Jeff Teague's offer sheet with the Milwaukee Bucks.

Teague signed a four-year, $32 million deal with the Bucks.

Via Chris Vivlamore/Atlanta Journal-Constitution

I think this pretty much narrows the market for Jennings down to the Bucks.. I'm probably just riding the high of Young/Johnson/Kaman/Farmar all taking less money to be Lakers, but I'm really hoping he wants to be a Laker & sees the opportunity to be a part of something special here & tries to force them to agree to a S&T.. Unless we're willing to deal Pau, I think the only way they grant his wish is if we build a package around Jordan Hill.. Maybe Hill, Blake, Meeks, S&T Morris or Glock for Jennings & Henson, or if they'd rather give up Udoh of course I'd take that.. With the package I suggested, we're sending out roughly 10M.. Meaning we can receive roughly 12.6M in return.. Udoh makes 4.4.. Hopefully we get Jennings at around 6-7M. I really think this guy can turn it around here.. I'm not sure if the Bucks will give us a big back or not, but I'd probably do the deal even if they won't include a big or maybe only a lesser prospect like Ayon. Then I go tell Lamar we need him badly & hope we can get K-Mart or someone.. Bigs that seem to have a ceiling of 20 MPG can be replaced.. Jennings is a 16/6 PG with the potential to be a star.. I hope we can make something happen.
lakersin4

Postby trodgers on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:42 am

Nashty Gal wrote:loving the young and Johnson pick up. but lets not forget about Sasha Mitch!

and please gtfo steve blake

Blake was our best GUARD not named Kobe last year. He elevated his game toward the end of the season. No Blake means we have to trust someone else to backup Nash, because Nash is fragile.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Phil XI on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:14 am

^ this, after last season MDA and Mitch love Blake for stepping up.
Its going to be more like Nash PG / Blake SG line up that they ran after KB went down.
Farmar will get plenty of mins as Nash's b/u.
It'll be more like (with Kobe out)
Nash/Farmar/Blake
Blake/Meeks/Young
Young/Wes
Then when Kobe returns
Nash/Farmar/Blake
Kobe/Blake/Meeks
Young/Kobe/Wes

While I think Blake's sum with LA has been disappointing, in the 'what have you done for me lately' view he stepped up big time. MDA is very comfortable with Blake on the floor.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby JLaker17 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:52 am

One thing about Young and Wes is they both have good wingspans. Young is 7, and Wes is 7'1. Which puts Wes slightly ahead of Lebron and Melo. While they would probably over power him, if he can play good fundamental defense, the length will make up for it. Durant is just a freak and will kill mostly every player.
JLaker17

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:59 am

I don't want to get rid of Blake.. I just don't think he's as valuable to us as a starting SF around or above Ariza's level would be if we were able to trade him for such a player.. Brandon Rush is another guy I'd take for Blake.

I know the majority of us were on board with trading Pau for a starting SF if Dwight came back.. Does anyone else think we should try to do it still? I love the idea of rebuilding the old Lakers team & all, & I know Pau could play a huge role in that for us.. But honestly, I didn't expect us to have this good of an offseason after Dwight left.. We went out & got Kaman for half of what he played for.. Young, Johnson, & Farmar all at discounts from what they made last year & relative to what their value is.. We still need to sign LO & make a few more moves, but I think we're a good enough team to go ahead & try to trade Pau for a package centered around a starting SF. Here's my logic:

It's not hard to see that the league favors the perimeter game right now.. The teams with the best perimeter players are the ones winning for the most part, there are exceptions of course, but this is a trend our FO is very aware of & they've talked about it many times, even listing the diminishing value of post players as a reason why they hired Antoni instead of Phil.. As long as you have bigs that can score & bigs that can protect the rim, that's enough to win with really good perimeter players.. Mia, OKC, & Indiana are all good examples of this. You need defense from your bigs more than anything, & spacing from atleast 1 of them. I know Hibbert had some big scoring games too but that's mostly because Miami was playing small & he's just too big for any of them except Anderson, who can't play big minutes.

There are a few teams out there that are loaded with wings & might take on Pau's expiring (GS, Chi, Toronto, Philly/Denver etc).. It might mean eating some salary in the process but that's a price we have to pay to get a step closer to contending.
lakersin4

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion