Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:59 am

I don't want to get rid of Blake.. I just don't think he's as valuable to us as a starting SF around or above Ariza's level would be if we were able to trade him for such a player.. Brandon Rush is another guy I'd take for Blake.

I know the majority of us were on board with trading Pau for a starting SF if Dwight came back.. Does anyone else think we should try to do it still? I love the idea of rebuilding the old Lakers team & all, & I know Pau could play a huge role in that for us.. But honestly, I didn't expect us to have this good of an offseason after Dwight left.. We went out & got Kaman for half of what he played for.. Young, Johnson, & Farmar all at discounts from what they made last year & relative to what their value is.. We still need to sign LO & make a few more moves, but I think we're a good enough team to go ahead & try to trade Pau for a package centered around a starting SF. Here's my logic:

It's not hard to see that the league favors the perimeter game right now.. The teams with the best perimeter players are the ones winning for the most part, there are exceptions of course, but this is a trend our FO is very aware of & they've talked about it many times, even listing the diminishing value of post players as a reason why they hired Antoni instead of Phil.. As long as you have bigs that can score & bigs that can protect the rim, that's enough to win with really good perimeter players.. Mia, OKC, & Indiana are all good examples of this. You need defense from your bigs more than anything, & spacing from atleast 1 of them. I know Hibbert had some big scoring games too but that's mostly because Miami was playing small & he's just too big for any of them except Anderson, who can't play big minutes.

There are a few teams out there that are loaded with wings & might take on Pau's expiring (GS, Chi, Toronto, Philly/Denver etc).. It might mean eating some salary in the process but that's a price we have to pay to get a step closer to contending.
lakersin4

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:56 am

Odom or Kenyon
CDR
Glock?

Nash/Blake/Farmar
Kobe/Meeks/Glock
Young/Johnson/CDR
Odom/Hill/Kelly
Pau/Kaman/Sacre
Ariza3

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Ariza3 wrote:Odom or Kenyon
CDR
Glock?

Nash/Blake/Farmar
Kobe/Meeks/Glock
Young/Johnson/CDR
Odom/Hill/Kelly
Pau/Kaman/Sacre

Top to bottom, that team is far more talented than last year's.
Savory Griddles

Postby chingy248 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:00 pm

IF we can't get Odom...I'd look at Tyrus Thomas...just gives us another extremly ATHLETIC shot blocker that maybe Nash can make look good

As far as the SG/SF backup...I think the Machine is a must over scrubs like CDR. You really think MDA is going to put CDR in the lineup when we have Farmar/Young/Wes...CDR will probably average 2mins a game if lucky. Might as well sign Machine.....give the fanbase some Electricty/Excitment with the old crew coming back together and he actually has a "specialty" whereas CDR doesn't specialize in anthing...and Machine actually plays pesky defense
chingy248

Postby Center Court on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Ideally, Sasha and LO.

However, if LO decides Clippers, I'd be all over Al Harrington. Great fit for MDA's system.

Either way, I think Hill has to start.

Pau/Kaman/Sacre
Hill/Odom
Young/Johnson
Kobe/Sasha/Meeks
Nash/Blake/Farmar

I think James Johnson or Sam Young would be a good fit as both can play either SF or PF.
Center Court

Postby WilliamHaven on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:36 pm

al harrington is done. guy played 10 games last season. i'd rather try and convince jamison on another 1 year deal.
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby Phil XI on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:24 pm

Why people making rosters on here with 15 player? Lakers rarely start tax laden seasons with 15.
13 more likely, 14 if Kobe can't go by Nov 1.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby chingy248 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Brandon Jennings - G - Bucks

According to Bucks beat writer Gery Woelfel, "Brandon Jennings isn't a happy camper ... [and] a sign-and-trade appears inevitable."
Jennings is a restricted FA who could accept the Bucks' one-year offer and play for a new contract next summer, but there may be an unbridgable gulf between Jennings and the Bucks. Woelfel's report is unsurprising considering Milwaukee signed Jeff Teague to an offer sheet, a clear snub to Jennings, and this is one of the more important and multi-faceted free agent dramas still playing out in the NBA. If Jennings is traded, the Bucks would presumably get a starting-caliber PG in exchange.

Sign and trade Duhon for Jennings straight up
chingy248

Postby chingy248 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Eric Pincus @EricPincus about 38 minutes ago

There are no rumors whatsover of Jennings and Lakers - save that he has interest possibly next year if he's available

chingy248

Postby chingy248 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:05 pm

Dudley on Dwight: "I would never leave the Lakers. Top free agents want to go there. They have too much history, too many championships."

Don't most laker fans hate Dudley for some reason? lol
chingy248

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:06 pm

chingy248 wrote:

According to Bucks beat writer Gery Woelfel, "Brandon Jennings isn't a happy camper ... [and] a sign-and-trade appears inevitable."
Jennings is a restricted FA who could accept the Bucks' one-year offer and play for a new contract next summer, but there may be an unbridgable gulf between Jennings and the Bucks. Woelfel's report is unsurprising considering Milwaukee signed Jeff Teague to an offer sheet, a clear snub to Jennings, and this is one of the more important and multi-faceted free agent dramas still playing out in the NBA. If Jennings is traded, the Bucks would presumably get a starting-caliber PG in exchange.

Too much Sasha on your mind? Duhon isn't even on the roster anymore.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:13 pm

chingy248 wrote:
Dudley on Dwight: "I would never leave the Lakers. Top free agents want to go there. They have too much history, too many championships."

Don't most laker fans hate Dudley for some reason? lol

If we do it's probably because he always seems to have a career night against us, not anything he's said or done to be annoying, in other words it's not personal but on the court.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:45 pm

Dudley acts like a numbnut on twitter to Laker fans

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:51 am

chingy248 wrote:

3 way deal.. Nash to Toronto, Lowry + filler to Bucks, Jennings on a deal no higher than 5M to Lakers + Picks.. Might be able to get below the tax if we don't take any additional filler.. Could be very valuable if we can lure in enough guys with our cap space next season to go over the threshhold without being repeat offenders.
lakersin4

Postby Magic Skywalker on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:02 am

@WojYahooNBA

Washington forward Trevor Ariza -- a free agent next summer -- has signed with agent Rob Pelinka of Landmark Sports, league source tells Y!

:man1:
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby OX1947 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:14 am

lakersin4 wrote:
chingy248 wrote:

3 way deal.. Nash to Toronto, Lowry + filler to Bucks, Jennings on a deal no higher than 5M to Lakers + Picks.. Might be able to get below the tax if we don't take any additional filler.. Could be very valuable if we can lure in enough guys with our cap space next season to go over the threshhold without being repeat offenders.

I like the way you think.
OX1947

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:36 am

I would love to get Jennings. We all know he wants to be here with Kobe someday anyway.

He would have to take a pay cut this year and then opt out next year to get more money when the Lakers have cap space to re-sign him, Kobe, another max player, and one or two of our youngsters who pan out this year (Wes, Nick, Jordan Hill, etc.).

Blake and Meeks and the option to swap first rounders next year for Jennings ($5.5 million two year deal, with player option next year). Bucks could also sign Mo Williams. They are losing Jennings this year or next. Is there a team that will trade a starting caliber PG to them this year and take on Jennings at 8-12 million per year? I don't see that (the Bucks are not taking Jeremy Lin and no other team will give up their starting PG for Jennings). I think next year's 1st round pick is worth Jennings (if we can trade or swap it). Sign LO and Sasha. Keep a close eye on Sam Young and Raja Bell just in case.

Jennings and Farmar can sponge off of Nash and split minutes when he misses/sits for about 25 games this year. Farmar can also get minutes as the back up SG in spots, playing with Jennings (like Monta did last year).

Nash, Jennings, Farmar
Kobe, Sasha (Nick Young and Farmar here too)
Young, Wes Johnson, James Johnson
LO, Hill, Kelly (JJ here too)
Gasol, Caveman, Sacre (Hill here too).

3 lottery picks with great potential on that team - Jennings, Johnson, and Hill.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby charvin on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 am

:man1: Come on over, Ariza!

Magic Skywalker wrote:
@WojYahooNBA

Washington forward Trevor Ariza -- a free agent next summer -- has signed with agent Rob Pelinka of Landmark Sports, league source tells Y!

:man1:
charvin

Postby thkthebest on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:24 am

Please God no to Jennings. I'd much rather get Lowry + filler or keep Nash than get Jennings.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:09 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:I would love to get Jennings. We all know he wants to be here with Kobe someday anyway.

He would have to take a pay cut this year and then opt out next year to get more money when the Lakers have cap space to re-sign him, Kobe, another max player, and one or two of our youngsters who pan out this year (Wes, Nick, Jordan Hill, etc.).

Blake and Meeks and the option to swap first rounders next year for Jennings ($5.5 million two year deal, with player option next year). Bucks could also sign Mo Williams. They are losing Jennings this year or next. Is there a team that will trade a starting caliber PG to them this year and take on Jennings at 8-12 million per year? I don't see that (the Bucks are not taking Jeremy Lin and no other team will give up their starting PG for Jennings). I think next year's 1st round pick is worth Jennings (if we can trade or swap it). Sign LO and Sasha. Keep a close eye on Sam Young and Raja Bell just in case.

Jennings and Farmar can sponge off of Nash and split minutes when he misses/sits for about 25 games this year. Farmar can also get minutes as the back up SG in spots, playing with Jennings (like Monta did last year).

Nash, Jennings, Farmar
Kobe, Sasha (Nick Young and Farmar here too)
Young, Wes Johnson, James Johnson
LO, Hill, Kelly (JJ here too)
Gasol, Caveman, Sacre (Hill here too).

3 lottery picks with great potential on that team - Jennings, Johnson, and Hill.

We can't trade our 2014 1st until the draft.. If they're looking for a PG in return, sending Nash back to Canada & getting them Lowry is probably the best they can do.. Teams aren't exactly going all out to get Jennings. I think he probably wants to be here over any other destination, so we'll probably be able to get him to sign the cheapest contract.. I wouldn't doubt if Mitch even talks him into a 1 year deal so we can have nothing on the books next summer, but if we can get him for 5M or less, I wouldn't mind locking him in for atleast 3 years.. To think that a 23 year old isn't going to improve any would be insane, but even if he just remains the same, you're not going to get 16/6 cheaper than that in free agency. I wonder if Nash would accept a deal straight to the Bucks? They actually aren't THAT bad, & he might want out of LA so he doesn't get killed as badly on child support & whatever else his ex-wife is going after.

Also, I really hope we find a way to get Ariza.. I'm assuming for Blake & Meeks.. So if we do Nash for Jennings then make the Ariza deal, we have:

Jennings/Farmar
Kobe/Young
Ariza/Wes
Hill/R-Kelly
Pau/Kaman/Sacre

4 open roster spots.. I really wish LO would just sign & get it over with.. Because we have to figure out the best way to fill those spots - signing free agents or a Pau trade where we bring in multiple players. I think signing LO makes Pau much more expendable, & we could probably get closer to a chip via Pau trade than we can via free agency.

I think it's much more likely we use those 4 remaining slots on free agents & continue the plan to revisit the 07-10 players & try to land Melo or Lebron next summer. So let's look at which needs we should address with these signings.

- We would need another PF, because Kelly is a complete unknown at this point & Hill isn't a guy that I see being able to play more minutes.. Not knocking him, he's still a great player to have on your team, but he's a complimentary player not a starter. Hopefully we get LO or Byron Mullens signs out of nowhere.. I haven't seen anything about him since the report that we were showing interest, & as far as I know only us & Charlotte have made him offers. Would take K-Mart too if he doesn't go back to the Knicks. The cupboard is pretty bare after that.

- We need another PG or combo guard. We can't just have 2 PG's when 1 of them hasn't been in the NBA for a while. I know most are against Nate but I'd still like to have that firepower off the bench.. Farmar & Jennings can both play some SG so I think we'd be able to get them all minutes.. If not Nate, I wouldn't mind bringing Fish in on the reunion, or we could go after Daniel Gibson. Or if Selby earns a spot in summer league, we give him a shot.

- The next biggest need would be another SF or SG.. This will depend on how much we intend on playing Young/Johnson/Kobe at the 3.. I think even with Ariza, we still need another big SF that can play defense. I'd like to go with Dominic McGuire or Sam Young if that's the direction we go in, & I'll also throw in Stephen Jackson as a guy that can still play defense when he wants to.. If they think we're good at SF & want to bring in another SG, I think The Machine has the best odds of getting signed. We have 2 potential feel good signings to choose between here.. Bring back Sasha or give CDR a shot at proving himself on the big stage. We would have 2 spots remaining at this point & I wouldn't mind using them on those 2 or 1 of them & Young, Captain Jack, or McGuire. I think Sam Young probably makes the most sense because we'd have a ton of guards & SF's but Young would probably be the best equipped to play PF if we have injuries & have to improvise.. But we always seem to leave 1 roster spot open to maintain flexibility, CDR is extremely cheap & wouldn't take much to buyout if something comes up. I wouldn't really care much either way, I think the team is pretty much set already, so I'm fine if we leave the 15th spot open. Assuming we use all 15, hopefully we look like this:

Jennings/Nate/Farmar
Kobe/Young/Sasha
Ariza/Wes/CDR
LO/Hill/R-Kelly
Pau/Kaman/Sacre

That team has so much upside it's scary.. Kobe, Jennings, Pau as your main scorers with Young, Ariza, Johnson, Nate all capable of having big games. Even Kaman, LO, Farmar, Sasha, Hill can catch fire, & we don't know what CDR or R-Kelly are really capable of yet. I think we'd be one of the highest scoring teams in the league. But we still have some good defensive players on that team & a ton of depth.. I honestly think we're contenders with that team..
lakersin4

Postby OX1947 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:23 am

With the quality of big men in the NBA down to 2, you will need an arsenal at the 2,3 and 4 positions. Get Melo and Lebron next year and you can put JOel Anthony's twin brother at center and the Lakers would win 60 games.
OX1947

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:24 am

Elton Brand Signs With The Hawks

HoopsHype ‏@hoopshype 5m

Elton Brand is headed to Atlanta, agent David Falk tells HoopsHype. It's a one-year deal.

https://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/356824681845768193

You can cross him out the list.
Kobe8Fan

Postby marcelo on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:31 am

Jennings and Young on the court at the same time. That's a lot of chucking.
marcelo

Postby chingy248 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:34 am

Nice sign by the Hawks

Horford
Paul Milsap
Elton Brand

We still need an actual Center though lol
chingy248

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:35 am

Damn. I was hoping he'd be Mitch's 4th ace.

That's alright. Hopefully we land Lamar then.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion