Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:02 am

therealdeal wrote:Damn. I was hoping he'd be Mitch's 4th ace.

That's alright. Hopefully we land Lamar then.

Hopefully we preferred Brand & were waiting on his decision before we signed LO.. But I'm afraid that's not the case & LO is waiting to see if he can go back to Flop City.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:20 am

lakersin4 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Damn. I was hoping he'd be Mitch's 4th ace.

That's alright. Hopefully we land Lamar then.

Hopefully we preferred Brand & were waiting on his decision before we signed LO.. But I'm afraid that's not the case & LO is waiting to see if he can go back to Flop City.

Agreed.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:57 pm

“@forumbluegold: Ariza used to be repped by David Lee (who also reps Andrew Bynum). His new agent - Pelinka - just happens to be Kobe's agent.”
Ariza3

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:15 pm

If he comes here, no more gumbygld on CL? :man10:
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:54 pm

If somehow we trade Blake & Meeks for Ariza, sign LO, possibly get Nate Robinson to play a combo guard as we'll need another PG just incase of Nash injuries it would be a pretty solid team of vets and youth/athleticism. bench mob would be pretty cool.

Nash/Farmar/Nate
Kobe/Young
Ariza/Johnson
LO/Hill/Kelly
Pau/Kaman/Sacre

If not LO (which seems unlikely otherwise it would have happened already) maybe Kenyon?
http://youtu.be/Tt7oWvUIqd4
Ariza3

Paul George Discusses Upcoming Free Agency and the Lakers

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:38 am

Paul George Discusses Upcoming Free Agency and the Lakers

Everyone is already talking about next summer when the Los Angeles Lakers have ample cap room to possibly sign two superstars.

One free agent that will heavily be mentioned is current Pacer and Southern California native, Paul George. Although he is a restricted free agent and it’ll highly likely that the Pacers will match any offers, George remains a free agent target for the Lakers.

George is currently working out in Los Angeles and spent some time with Colin Howard on ESPN 710AM to discuss his upcoming free agency and the possibilities of joining the Lakers:

“Well, I’m still in Indiana. Just trying to bypass all the rumors and all the media trying to blow up stuff. My heart is still in Indiana. I’m still a Pacer and hopefully I’ll remain a Pacer.”

When asked if it would be difficult saying “no” to Kobe Bryant, George discussed how Los Angeles would be an ideal situation because of his family and growing up in California:

“Of course it’d be tough. You’re talking about playing at home, playing in LA where your family — that’s what your family grew up on. It’d be big as far as it being the family favorite team. But again, it’s about me and my career. I think where I’m at will do the job for me.”

Despite acknowledging that joining the Lakers would be ideal, it appears that George is comfortable with the Pacers. He believes the team has enough to compete for championships and his first priority is to remain with the Pacers.

Although it sounds like George will remain with the Pacers, a lot can change from now to next summer. Regardless of what happens, the Lakers will still pursue him and hope he can be the future franchise player after Kobe Bryant decides to retire.

This past season, Paul George was named the Most Improved Player and averaged 19.2 points, 7.4 rebounds, and 5.1 rebounds.

http://www.lakersnation.com/nba-news-pa ... 013/07/16/
Kobe8Fan

Postby marcelo on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:43 am

Well, he talked about the Lakers as open as an athlete who respects his team could talk about it. I don't expect him to say "hell yeah, I can't wait. Screw Indiana!".

He would be awesome. But of course Indiana would match anything.
marcelo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:57 am

There's almost no shot he ends up in LA now. Not unless Indiana is too stupid to offer him a max contract.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby chingy248 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:01 am

if he's a RFA...can't he just do what D12 did? he'll only lose 1 year right?
chingy248

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:06 am

It will be interesting to see if the Pacers want to become a luxury tax team. They have to pay Stephenson and George both next season. They already have ~50 million in guaranteed deals.

I still think they give him max and match anything, but some food for thought.

I would love to have PG. One of my favorite non-Laker players. I'd take him over any free agent next year (except Lebron). He's going to be a player for years to come.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Damian Necronamous on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:16 am

Once the Farmar signing becomes official, don't be surprised if we deal Blake to WAS for Trevor Booker and Chris Singleton. The salaries match up almost perfectly. Booker is a scoring big who won't get much PT behind Nene, Okafor and Seraphin, and Singleton is an athletic wing behind Beal, Porter and Ariza who has a lot of defensive potential.

If we manage to add Odom, I'd think we'd instead look to deal Blake for just a wing. Blake for Brandon Rush is a deal that could make sense, considering Utah has Hayward, Burks and Williams at the wing and only Trey Burke at PG.
Damian Necronamous

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:21 am

I don't look at getting Paul George as something we have any realistic chance at doing.. But I'd take him over any player in the league right now outside of Lebron & Durant.. & honestly, I'd take him over both of them if I went with my gut, because I feel like under Kobe's wing he'd become the best player in the league.. 6'10 with all the tools to be good at everything, I know you have to take Durant or Lebron over him because he's not on that level yet.. Get PG & Lebron or Melo.. Or get PG & get Durant in 2015 if Melo & Bron stay put.. Wow.. Words can't explain how happy I'd be if Paul George ends up a Laker next summer.. He already learned so much from studying Kobe, but having him there every day to pick his brain & build his game.. I think he could become the best player in the league. Out of Lebron/Melo/Durant/PG I think George & Durant give us the best case scenario. They'd win right now with Kobe & they'd be winning long after Melo & Lebron are declining.
Last edited by lakersin4 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
lakersin4

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:22 am

WAS has no need for Blake, unless they want to offload Ariza that bad.

But I like our two young SF talents.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:47 am

Heat To Amnesty Mike Miller?

Ethan J. Skolnick ‏@EthanJSkolnick 18m

Just said this on @TheTicketMiami: from what I am hearing from multiple sources, the Heat are likely to amnesty Mike Miller today.

https://twitter.com/EthanJSkolnick/stat ... 2726436864
Kobe8Fan

Postby gcclaker on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:49 am

^Ray Allen re-signing for another year made Miller expendable plus that tax issue that they have to deal with.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:00 pm

Mike Miller for the minimum to complete our SF rotation? I'm game.
lakersin4

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Damian Necronamous wrote:Once the Farmar signing becomes official, don't be surprised if we deal Blake to WAS for Trevor Booker and Chris Singleton. The salaries match up almost perfectly. Booker is a scoring big who won't get much PT behind Nene, Okafor and Seraphin, and Singleton is an athletic wing behind Beal, Porter and Ariza who has a lot of defensive potential.

If we manage to add Odom, I'd think we'd instead look to deal Blake for just a wing. Blake for Brandon Rush is a deal that could make sense, considering Utah has Hayward, Burks and Williams at the wing and only Trey Burke at PG.

If the Lakers did that, I'd be doing backflips! Living here in South Carolina, I've followed Trevor Booker since his high school and college days at Clemson. He is exactly what this team needs. Imagine a bigger, faster and more athletic MMP. Would easily be our best front court defender. He'd be our guy to defend hybrid power forwards like Lebron, KD and Melo.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan 3m
Initial reaction by Lakers to Mike Miller getting cut: Meh. They feel they already have enough SFs (Young, Wesley Johnson, Kobe).
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

:man3:

Then we don't have enough SG's. Who wouldn't want a guy at the end of the bench that is a cheat code when he shoots.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan 1m
Agree. Lakers still want C/PF for vet's min. Odom remains a possibility. RT @norabovic: @Mike_Bresnahan They need another big who can score.
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More

Looks like the next move we see will be a big.

I think we need to roll with 3 PG / 5 wings / 6 bigs for the season. Carrying 14 after last season, IMO, is a good decision.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:39 pm

I really hope they don't think we're set on the wings.. Young & Wes could take all the minutes at SF but not until Kobe is ready to play Kobe minutes again. Even then, I don't think it's a good idea to rely that heavily on 3 guys + Meeks to hold down both positions.. We need another shooter or someone who can guard the bigger SF's.. Miller is the best shooter we're going to get at the minimum. I think he can clear waivers by claiming he's injured too badly to play for a team that isn't contending & would rather retire.. But then we're competing with the Nets offering him the same minimum contract + 10M in Russia.. I'd like to sign him if we can.
lakersin4

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan 3m
Initial reaction by Lakers to Mike Miller getting cut: Meh. They feel they already have enough SFs (Young, Wesley Johnson, Kobe).
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

:man3:

Then we don't have enough SG's. Who wouldn't want a guy at the end of the bench that is a cheat code when he shoots.

I feel the Lakers need to add another wing player cause I think Jodie can't cut it. I want to see Ronnie Brewer in a Laker uniform. Mike Miller is better than him but Lakers need a good young defensive player like Brewer and put him in the starting line up if signed. Nick, Wes and Mike Miller can all play SG as well. Since the Lakers seem to be not be interested in Miller, then I guess Jodie's job is safe. Just sign a back up PF like K-Mart of Tyrus Thomas.
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan 1m
Agree. Lakers still want C/PF for vet's min. Odom remains a possibility. RT @norabovic: @Mike_Bresnahan They need another big who can score.
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More

Looks like the next move we see will be a big.

I think we need to roll with 3 PG / 5 wings / 6 bigs for the season. Carrying 14 after last season, IMO, is a good decision.

Big man who can score? There's not a lot out there and I think they really need a big man who can DEFEND...

If they want scoring with no defense Mullens is still available. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Alan Hahn ‏@alanhahn 11m

Behind on TL, so Miller is officially amnestied. Worth a look, Knicks fans? My thinking is he ends up in LA (D'Antoni) or Minnesota (Flip).

https://twitter.com/alanhahn/status/357236711622852608
Kobe8Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Mike Miller and James Johnson?

Get a shooter + a SF/PF that can play some perimeter defense.
Doc Brown

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Miller can shoot, but his legs are almost done. He's prone to go down any minute. I'd rather the minutes go to Young and Johnson.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion