Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lakerfan2 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:27 pm

OX1947 wrote:Kaman will be the worst signing of the bunch. He cant stay healthy when not in a Laker uniform, imagine when he wears it. He will play 30 games and suck in those games just as bad as if he didnt play.

Why the negativity and pessimism?

Mitch did the best he could and Kaman took a cut. A 7 footer that can play adequately, not great, that can dispel minutes at backup C, what's to not like and who did you have in mind then?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:27 pm

OX1947 wrote:Kaman will be the worst signing of the bunch. He cant stay healthy when not in a Laker uniform, imagine when he wears it. He will play 30 games and suck in those games just as bad as if he didnt play.

I don't know if he'll be a bad signing for 3.1M, that was a smart risk to take regardless.. But he might not overproduce like some of the other guys will.. He doesn't have the youth & upside that our other signings do. It's not about improvement with vets, it's about health. If Kaman stays relatively healthy, he'll be a good signing.. His basketball skills will be the same as they have been.

The injury risk is there with Kaman, Pau, Hill, & even the rookie Kelly is returning from a serious injury. That's why I don't understand why we haven't signed atleast 1 more big. I think we should sign 2 more bigs, LO & TT.. We know what LO can do when healthy, but TT is getting severely underrated due to how terrible of a job he did living up to his last contract & going #4 in the draft. Fits in perfectly with our history of giving a shot to high picks that didn't live up to their potential. He's still only 26 years old.. As a minimum signing, you're not going to find many players better than TT. You want him to be a last resort on the offensive side but he's a good defender.. Good shotblocker at the PF position even in limited minutes he'll get you atleast a block a game. Perfect guy to play next to Pau or Kaman who don't leave their feet unless it's their 2 inch vertical on their jumper. TT tops my list of available bigs, but I have LO right behind him & think we'd be wise to sign both of them.
lakersin4

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Anyone else think we should be seriously shopping Nash? I can see the Raptors building a package around Lowry for him & a ton of teams would take that Lowry + filler package, & hopefully that filler could be Ross. I like Charlotte as trade partners for Nash or Pau deals.. A Pau deal would probably have to include MKG, Biyombo, Sessions or Henderson. They're looking to S&T Henderson right now, & there's also been rumors of them shopping MKG.. I don't think they'd give up MKG for the package Nash can bring in but Henderson is very possible I think. If we can get Biyombo thrown in with Henderson I really like that deal for us.. Biyombo is a GREAT fit with this team. 1.8 BPG in 28 MPG from a mobile 6'9 PF. He's like an extremely poor man's Ibaka, I really want to find a way to get this guy, & we get a real starting SF in Henderson. If we do the Nash deal & get to keep Pau, I think Henderson & Biyombo are perfect fits for this roster.
lakersin4

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:08 pm

Would I do a Nash for Lowry deal? Absolutely, I believe he's an expiring as well, where Nash isn't.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Weezy wrote:Would I do a Nash for Lowry deal? Absolutely, I believe he's an expiring as well, where Nash isn't.

Would also do this, & if they're willing to include maybe Ross or their pick(hopefully unprotected) it's a better deal than my Charlotte idea. I think Henderson + Biyombo is more valuable to us than Lowry, but if you add in Ross or their 1st that changes things.. Ultimate pipe: they take Nash AND Meeks off our hands, & send us Lowry, Ross, unprotected 1st. Mitch gets GM of the year if he pulls that off.. Loses D12 then pulls off that deal + all of these signings.. Lose D12 & still manage to make the team better than they were last year? Not many could pull that off.. Then the icing on the cake next summer when we land atleast 1 superstar & go on an insane run.
lakersin4

Postby Damian Necronamous on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:08 pm

I'd be all for us filling out the roster with Shawne Williams and Austin Daye. They're both tweener SF/PFs who shoot the ball well and would work with D'Antoni's style.

Of course, I would rather have Odom.
Damian Necronamous

Postby OX1947 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:59 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:

Why the negativity and pessimism?

Mitch did the best he could and Kaman took a cut. A 7 footer that can play adequately, not great, that can dispel minutes at backup C, what's to not like and who did you have in mind then?

I do not like players who are never healthy to play. They just sit on the bench and waste money and roster spots.
OX1947

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:41 am

Damian Necronamous wrote:I'd be all for us filling out the roster with Shawne Williams and Austin Daye. They're both tweener SF/PFs who shoot the ball well and would work with D'Antoni's style.

Of course, I would rather have Odom.

Did Daye get any stronger? I remember at the rookie combine I think, he couldn't do 1 rep on the bench press.. Not exactly going to help with our issue of having noone to guard the larger sf's.
lakersin4

Postby chingy248 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:02 pm

Updating a previous report, Nate Robinson and the Nuggets have agreed on a two-year contract worth Denver's full bi-annual exception.
The second year is a player option. Robinson and coach Brian Shaw have hit it off, and Nate brings valuable scoring punch to the Nuggets' second unit.
chingy248

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:04 pm

chingy248 wrote:Updating a previous report, Nate Robinson and the Nuggets have agreed on a two-year contract worth Denver's full bi-annual exception.
The second year is a player option. Robinson and coach Brian Shaw have hit it off, and Nate brings valuable scoring punch to the Nuggets' second unit.

man teams must really hate this guy, last year was probably one of his best in recent year and all he could get is a bi annual contract?
khmrP

Postby chingy248 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:41 pm

khmrP wrote:
chingy248 wrote:Updating a previous report, Nate Robinson and the Nuggets have agreed on a two-year contract worth Denver's full bi-annual exception.

man teams must really hate this guy, last year was probably one of his best in recent year and all he could get is a bi annual contract?

I think it's probably because he acts too much like "ah kuh-moy" on the court. I like him though
chingy248

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:08 pm

i miss Ariza. really wish there was a way to get him back with the Lakers. We all know him and Kobe were way tight.

According to Ariza’s Instagram, he was walking down the streets of Philadelphia wearing a Kobe Bryant jersey.

Ariza3

Postby MadMax on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:44 pm

I originally thought Trevor was going to be a Laker for a very long time. I was so disappointed how things ended between him and the Lakers. I loved him when he was on our team.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:52 pm

MadMax wrote:I originally thought Trevor was going to be a Laker for a very long time. I was so disappointed how things ended between him and the Lakers. I loved him when he was on our team.

At least he got rid of that terrible agent in David Lee
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:02 pm

^ 4 years too late. I remember thinking to myself at the time in 2010 he should have fired the guy.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Ariza not only helped the Lakers win the 2009 title as THE x-factor, he helped the Lakers win the title in 2010, indirectly, by making a giant mistake which led us to get Artest who without, could not have contained Pierce the way he did and the Lakers would have lost to the Celtics.
OX1947

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:18 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ 4 years too late. I remember thinking to myself at the time in 2010 he should have fired the guy.

of course, goes without saying
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Sirron on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:43 pm

We're not trading Nash. He only came here because he'd be close to his kids. No way he goes to Toronto if that is truly his motivation.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Wesley has the tools to become Ariza
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby LooN3y on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:57 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Wesley has the tools to become Ariza

i know arizas jumpshot wasnt great either at the start of 08, but i hope wesley can get better,

from what i remember wesley's 3pt shot was horrible, let alone spot up shooting
LooN3y

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:14 am

Sirron wrote:We're not trading Nash. He only came here because he'd be close to his kids. No way he goes to Toronto if that is truly his motivation.

That was before he got a taste of dealing with California child support laws, & his ex is trying to take full advantage of them.. He's going to risk a huge chunk of change by hanging around LA.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:15 am

LooN3y wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Wesley has the tools to become Ariza

i know arizas jumpshot wasnt great either at the start of 08, but i hope wesley can get better,

from what i remember wesley's 3pt shot was horrible, let alone spot up shooting

Well he's only been in the league 3 years
1st year: 35.6% (1.3/3.7) in 26.2 minutes
2nd year: 31.0% (0.8/2.6) in 22.6 minutes
3rd year: 33.0% (1.0/3.1) in 19.1 minutes

Here's his college numbers as well:
1st year (Iowa State)- 29.4% (32/109) in 31.7 minutes
2nd year (Iowa State)- 33.3% (47/141) in 27.0 minutes
3rd year (Syracuse)- 41.5% (51/123) in 35.0 minutes

The good news is that he shot better when he played more. The bad news is he's only ever shot above 35% once from outside in the pros. He has a good looking shot, the mechanics are solid. I think he has the opportunity to be a better shooter than he's shown and a D'Antoni offense can inflate his numbers. Wesley isn't a terrible shooter, he's just not a good one. There's certainly hope for improvement in that respect.

Here's Ariza's numbers by the way:
1st year: 23.1% (0.0/0.2) in 17.3 minutes
2nd year: 20.0% (0.0/0.1) in 17.5 minutes
3rd year: 0.0% (0.0/0.1) in 22.4 minutes
4th year: 27.8% (0.1/0.5) in 15.6 minutes
5th year*: 31.9% (0.7/2.3) in 24.4 minutes
6th year: 33.4% (1.9/5.7) in 36.5 minutes
7th year: 30.3% (1.1/3.6) in 34.7 minutes
8th year: 33.3% (0.7/2.1) in 32.9 minutes
9th year: 36.4% (1.4/3.7) in 26.3 minutes

*= the one full season he played with the Lakers.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:30 am

Could Philadelphia 76ers help Lakers ditch luxury tax?
print
Comments
Email

Steve Blake, Mike D'Antoni
Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni said he'd always wanted to coach Steve Blake -- and when Blake was healthy, D'Antoni got the chance. (Ronald Martinez / Getty Images / April 24, 2013)
By Eric Pincus
July 23, 2013, 6:00 a.m.
If the Philadelphia 76ers are willing, the Lakers might have a way under the luxury tax and, more important, the repeater tax.

The league currently levies a progressive tax for that penalizes teams for every $5 million they spend on salary over the threshold of $71.7 million.

The repeater tax, which won't start until the 2014-15 season, adds a dollar-for-dollar tax in addition to the progressive tax. A $90-million roster at the current threshold would cost a team $39.3 million (progressive) plus $18.2 million (repeater).

The only way to avoid repeater taxes is to stay under the line for two out of five seasons.

The Lakers will be under the tax for the 2014-15 season -- even if they land two max players. If the team scores in free agency, it might be in a position to spend above the luxury tax for the 2015-16 season in an attempt to build a true contender.

Its best option would be to get out of the tax for the coming season, where it projects to be about $7.4 million over the line (based on a projected team salary of $79.2).

That's not an easy task, given the team's apparent commitment to Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Steve Nash.

If they could find a taker for Steve Blake and Jordan Hill, the Lakers would shed $7.5 million. That's just enough to get under the tax.

Blake makes $4 million and Hill $3.5 million in the final year of their contracts. The difficulty is in finding a team that is able and willing to take on salary without sending any players in return.

As reported by Hoopsworld.com, the Philadelphia 76ers are the only team significantly under the league's minimum team salary.

After Philadelphia signs its two first-round draft picks (Nerlens Noel and Michael Carter-Williams), it'll still be about $8 million under the minimum. If it doesn't spend that amount on players, the team will be forced to cut a check at the end of the season to the players on its roster for the shortfall.

The Sixers would presumably want draft considerations and cash from the Lakers, who could send up to $3.2 million in the deal to help pay for Blake and Hill. The Lakers can't send a future first-round pick until 2019, although they have all of their second-rounders starting in 2016.

There's certainly no guarantee Philadelphia would consider such a move. The 76ers may have grand designs for their cap space -- or find other teams simply offering more than the Lakers are able to.

If Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak were able to push through such a bold move, perhaps summer-league standout Lester Hudson could serve as the team's third point guard behind Nash and Jordan Farmar.

Lamar Odom remains a free agent. If he's willing to sign for a minimum contract, he could step into the starting lineup at power forward alongside Pau Gasol -- replacing Hill.

Blake is coming off a strong season with the Lakers, despite injuries. Hill still has a lot of potential as a rebounder and shot-blocking forward-center.

Losing both might be a difficult decision for the Lakers but avoiding the repeater tax should be the priority in this transition year. Cutting $7.5 million now could save in the neighborhood of $60 million over three future years.

Even if the Lakers sent $3.2 million in cash to the Sixers, the Lakers would still benefit by about $18 million in reduced salary and taxes, among other advantages from getting under the threshold.

Sacrificing solid veterans like Blake and Hill might sting, but if it helps put the Lakers in a better position to rebuild, it's the right move to make.

I partially like this idea.

Blake - yes move him.
Hill - Hell no. We need him this year and for years ahead. Solid role player.

I wouldn't mind Lester Hudson as our 3rd PG. He played well with Cleveland last year in his short time there and from the comments from summer league, he's played pretty solid.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:40 am

I don't think the Lakers are going to care all that much about the repeater tax. They'll let this season play out from the beginning and if we're absolutely awful (bottom 10 team in the league) THEN I think they'll look to start packing it in and moving pieces.

I think they'll still give this team a fair shot at the playoffs first. A team with Kobe will never intentionally pack in the season and by trading Blake and Hill, you're doing exactly that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:59 am

I've thought about this for the last couple of weeks regarding both Hill and Blake. Let's start with the the guard rotation:

Nash/Farmar
Bryant/Blake/Meeks

One of those guys is expendable. There are three reasons you would keep Blake, IMO. As an insurance policy in case Nash gets injured; MDA plans on playing a lot of small ball and guard lineups; or they want to see how Kobe recovers when he gets back...it could be a combination of all three as well. Nevertheless, I can totally see Blake being expendable at this point. He's always injured, and the only time he's been worth his contract was last year until he got hurt again. I just can't see Blake expiring a Laker if you can get something better for him; if you can't, then don't move him which brings me to my second point.

Jordan Hill; he's a solid role player who has found a niche with this team. IMO, the only way you can make Blake attractive is by attaching a piece like a Jordan Hill; he's relatively cheap for what he offers and we need more of him on this roster; can I see him moved for the right deal with Blake? Yes. I wouldn't like it but depending on where we need to be financially, I think you need to explore all options.

I don't anything will happen by other then signing another Power Forward by the time the season begins; if we're incredibly bad by February, I would think Blake and Hill might be shopped...
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion