Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby khmrP on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:50 am

therealdeal wrote:His handles are good enough to get his own shot off actually, so they're better than average. I didn't disagree that he was/is a scoring SF, but the team wanted to see a different side of him and he complied. That means he didn't monopolize the ball and he didn't play the game the way he is used to playing it. He did this for the team which means I'd be shocked if he didn't get a camp invite with his name at the top of the list.

How many guys fighting for a job would do something like that without at least SOME knowledge that they had an inside track with that company?

What charity are you describing anyway? We need one more G/F tweener as it is and he fits that bill. How exactly does he fit as a "charity case"? Because we're giving our 3rd string SG/SF spot to a young guy who is good in a locker room and is willing to do the dirty work? What's so charitable about that?

because all this talk bout the team liking his character and he has Kobe respect doesn't translate to much of a positive impact on the court, he may have complied by the teams request but looking terrible doing it should be a factor. As far as I'm concerned the 3rd F is Harris, he's NOT a PF and if we gona use him as such our D will pretty much suck even more, as per his draft weakness, he already has problem guarding "slow" players and has a lot of defensive lapses and has trouble guarding post players. Those are horrible remarks for a player even as a backup and I know he'll play eventually because Hill, Kaman, even Pau are due to miss chunks of games sooner or later.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:00 am

I'd rather Ronnie Brewer get the last SG/SF spot on the roster.

We have shooters - Nash / Blake / Farmar / Young / Kelly
We have "shooters" - Johnson / Meeks
We have somewhere in between - Kobe

But we don't have any perimeter defenders, aside from Johnson, who is more potential at defending then actual defense.

Brewer would get my last spot.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:13 am

khmrP wrote:
because all this talk bout the team liking his character and he has Kobe respect doesn't translate to much of a positive impact on the court,

How much court time do you expect our 3rd string SG/SF to have? Honestly? Do you expect to see him out there for 5 minutes every single game? 3 minutes? How often does a team's 3rd string option even see the court for anyone to honestly be upset or care about their production? Will he play as much as Sacre did last season? Will he play as much as Meeks? I mean really, the guy would be so far behind the rotation that the only thing that REALLY matters on a consistent basis is whether or not he's helping the team in practice. And given that he'd be a proven NBA entity (unlike Harris who you hate, but want to replace with a proven NBA entity), I think he'd make a fine 3rd stringer on this team. Most teams don't have 3rd stingers like that.

khmrP wrote: he may have complied by the teams request but looking terrible doing it should be a factor.
All things relative. Here's something from the Lakers.com site in regards to Douglas-Roberts:
CDR SHOWS A DIVERSIFIED GAME

Perhaps the best example of sacrificing his own game for the betterment of the team came from Chris Douglas-Roberts*, a proven scorer at the NBA level – he averaged 17 points for the Nets for over a month when given minutes – who did much more than that in Vegas. At 6-7 with a nice handle, CDR can free himself for jumpers or get to the rim, but he attempted only 32 shots in five games, tied for fifth on the team, instead focusing on playing as a point forward and facilitating for others (his nine assists ranked second to point guard Lester Hudson's 16). Douglas-Roberts also used his length and quickness to be disruptive on D, helping him build a robust individual plus/minus of +42 for the tournament. He wanted to show teams that he could do more than just score, and he did so.*If you want to hear from CDR himself, we recorded an hour-plus long podcast with him.
http://www.nba.com/lakers/features/130723_summer_league_summary
So why did he look terrible? Because he didn't dominate the ball and average 25/5/5? That wasn't asked of him. In the D-League last season he averaged 27.8 points 5.4 rebounds and 3.6 assists. That's not even a year ago. He still is absolutely capable of doing what he's been known to do on the floor, he was simply asked to do something else. And relative to the team and to the team's success he did a good job of it.

khmrP wrote:As far as I'm concerned the 3rd F is Harris,
There's such a thing as a SF/PF tweener. Reference: LeBron, Carmelo, etc. Guys with a SF body that play PF because the teams speed up the game. And that's YOUR opinion, not the team's. AND who is to say that he'll ever see playing time anyway? He'll play behind Young, Johnson, Bryant, Gasol, Hill, and Kelly. That's a lot of bodies to wait behind.

khmrP wrote: he's NOT a PF and if we gona use him as such our D will pretty much suck even more, as per his draft weakness, he already has problem guarding "slow" players and has a lot of defensive lapses and has trouble guarding post players.

I have read his draft profile and that's not at all what I've heard. What I've heard is that he has a tendency to over work outside and thus gets caught using his hands instead of his feet. He's lost weight to help alleviate that pressure and if you watched him in the Summer League it shows. It still has a ton of work to do, but that doesn't mean he won't be able to defend slow PFs in the NBA. And again, he won't be playing so who cares?

khmrP wrote:Those are horrible remarks for a player even as a backup and I know he'll play eventually because Hill, Kaman, even Pau are due to miss chunks of games sooner or later.
Do you often read draft profiles? Most of them are entirely negative. Every player has faults. It also states that Harris has an NBA ready body and will likely be ready to rebound at this level because he works hard on the glass. He also has soft hands, a decent touch around the rim, and a recovering outside shot that was over 40% two out of his four years in college. Anyone can go through and read the negative reports about a player and paint a bad picture. That's easy.

Not to mention for the 4th time: he won't play much anyway. We're signing a prospect, not a star. Your expectations don't make sense.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:16 am

Doc Brown wrote:I'd rather Ronnie Brewer get the last SG/SF spot on the roster.

We have shooters - Nash / Blake / Farmar / Young / Kelly
We have "shooters" - Johnson / Meeks
We have somewhere in between - Kobe

But we don't have any perimeter defenders, aside from Johnson, who is more potential at defending then actual defense.

Brewer would get my last spot.

That's fair.

Although I think that if Brewer goes to the D-League his game suffers and he'll get less looks. If Douglas-Roberts goes there's more chance of being noticed like Dallas last season or Brooklyn the year before with Green. As the season goes on, if we want/need another wing I think Brewer will probably be available but Douglas-Roberts might not.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:33 pm

If we're signing a wing for their defense, give me Dominic McGuire or Sam Young over Brewer. We lost MWP & Earl Clark & haven't added anyone that can play defense against the bigger SF's.. Young & Johnson are quick & will help with us being slow getting back, but they aren't putting a body on anyone & neither is Brewer if it's a SF with size.
lakersin4

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Orlando Magic Waive Al Harrington

al harrington ‏@cheddahcheese7 14m

It's Official... Orlando has waived me! I just want thanks all the Orlando Fans that embraced me in my… http://instagram.com/p/chXt-9CWUo/

https://twitter.com/cheddahcheese7/stat ... 2687574017

He won't play for D'Antoni again. He dislikes D'Antoni.
Kobe8Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:17 pm

I'd love to have him. Always liked him, but the team is going in a different direction that doesn't involved aging vets on one year deals.

Sucks, all we would have to do let Pau guard Al on offense and he would have been shooting 70% from 3 for the season. I swear that guy never missed when he was guarded by Pau.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Wouldn't mind taking a chance on Al.. Could see him giving us slightly more than we got out of Jamison.. I'd still prefer Tyrus Thomas for his youth & shotblocking but I think Harrington would be a better fit with D'antoni than LO, so I have Al at #2 on my available PF's list now.. If we enter the season with Hill/Kelly/Harris as our only PF's I'm going to be extremely worried. We'll end up seeing Pau & Kaman have to play together way too much & not be able to take advantage of the speed we added on the perimeter.
lakersin4

Postby bltkmt on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:18 pm

I like Al, too...would love to have him aboard for one year (and cheap).
bltkmt

Postby chingy248 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Free agent Greg Oden still plans to announce his decision Friday night.
There's been a lot of unsubstantiated rumors that Oden has already chosen to sign with the Heat. There's no evidence that's true. The Mavs and Spurs are also considered front-runners, while the Hawks, Pelicans and Kings haven't been ruled out. Oden's agent reiterated to FOX's Chris Tomasson that his client's announcement will come at some point Friday night.
chingy248

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Atlanta Hawks Waive DeShawn Stevenson

By Chris Vivlamore

The Hawks waived DeShawn Stevenson Friday, according to a league source, in a move that clears the way for the team to announce the signing DeMarre Carroll. The forward agreed to terns with the nearly almost a month ago. The official signing of Carroll could come within the next day or two.

Carroll agreed to a two-year, $5 million contract on July 5th, the same day the team agreed to a deal with his Jazz teammate Paul Millsap. The delay in signing was for salary cap reasons as the Hawks rebuilt much of their roster this offseason. The Hawks were retaining Bird rights for several of their unrestricted free agents. However, Anthony Tolliver remains the only player that has not signed elsewhere or had his rights renounced.

Carroll, 6-foot-8, was selected in the first round (No. 27 overall) by the Grizzlies in the 2009 NBA draft out of Missouri. He averaged 6.0 points and 2.8 rebounds in 66 games last season. In Carroll, the Hawks get a hard-working wing defender with size. The Hawks hope that work ethic will be contagious for the number of young players on the roster.

“He is a tough-nosed player,” Millsap told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution last month. “Very competitive. Every second he’s on the court he is going to give his all, diving for loose balls. He wants to guard the best offensive player. Just his grit and how he approaches the game.”

In four NBA seasons, the 27-year-old Carroll has career averages of 4.2 points and 2.3 rebounds in 13.3 minutes. He figures to have an expanded role with the Hawks.

In Carroll’s first season at Missouri, after transferring from Vanderbilt, he experienced itchy legs that he was convinced was due to an allergy. However it turned out that Carroll had a liver disease that could one day require a transplant. He required medication but the issue has not slowed his on-court tenacity.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawk ... l-signing/
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:02 pm

Heat Sign Greg Oden

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 9m

Sources close to process tell ESPN that Greg Oden has agreed to two-year minimum deal with Miami Heat with player option in Year 2

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statu ... 7263495169
Kobe8Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 19m
As SI reported last week, teams that have watched Oden workout had low expectations for him next season. Nowhere near in game shape
Expand

He hasn't played in what 2-3 years and still isn't in shape.

Brandon Roy 2.0.
Doc Brown

Postby chingy248 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:38 pm

Al Harrington - F/C - Magic

Al Harrington has officially cleared waivers and is now an unrestricted free agent.
No team would come near Harrington's remaining two-year, $15 million contract (half of which will be paid by the Magic), but he may find a home on a veteran's minimum contract. "I’m only 33," Harrington recently told reporters. "When you guys get a chance to see me, you're going to be surprised. I've been putting in the work."
chingy248

Postby Center Court on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:29 am

chingy248 wrote:

Al Harrington has officially cleared waivers and is now an unrestricted free agent.
No team would come near Harrington's remaining two-year, $15 million contract (half of which will be paid by the Magic), but he may find a home on a veteran's minimum contract. "I’m only 33," Harrington recently told reporters. "When you guys get a chance to see me, you're going to be surprised. I've been putting in the work."

Harrington and Brewer to round out the roster would be nice...

Pau/Kaman/Sacre
Hill/Harrington/Kelly
Young/Johnson
Kobe/Meeks/Brewer
Nash/Blake/Farmar

still think we need more of a real small forward, but I guess this year is a wash and it's MDA's style anyway..
Center Court

Postby Savory Griddles on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:30 am

Center Court wrote:
chingy248 wrote:

Harrington and Brewer to round out the roster would be nice...

Pau/Kaman/Sacre
Hill/Harrington/Kelly
Young/Johnson
Kobe/Meeks/Brewer
Nash/Blake/Farmar

still think we need more of a real small forward, but I guess this year is a wash and it's MDA's style anyway..

This is D'Antoni we're talking about here. Harrington would start. :man10:
Savory Griddles

Postby chingy248 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:55 pm

machine! wtf happened to those rumors
chingy248

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:53 pm

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620

My belief here is the Suns waive and stretch Beasley. So he is gone but gets his 9 mill at 1.8 per year over the next 5 years

Do we still want Beas? I would hope if he clears waivers we atleast make an offer. I still like him as instant offense off the bench at both F spots.
Last edited by lakersin4 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakersin4

Postby Center Court on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:47 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620

My belief here is the Suns waive and stretch Beasley. So he is gone but gets his 9 mill at 1.8 per year over the next 5 years

Do we still want Beas? I would hope if he clears waivers we atleast make an offer. I still like him as instant offense off the bench at both F spots.

yes 100%.

Since we're not going to stop anybody on D, we might as well have as much offensive fire power as possible. He can play either forward position, stretch the floor, attack the basket, and get his own shot. He's be a really good fit next to all our bigs: Pau, Hill, Kaman.

With Kobe and Nash in charge, Beasley would grow up quick.
Center Court

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:20 pm

No on Beasley. Our forward rotation is suddenly crowded and we need high character guys after last season's fiasco.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:00 pm

therealdeal wrote:No on Beasley. Our forward rotation is suddenly crowded and we need high character guys after last season's fiasco.

And we all know how low Beasley's character is for having a couple of joints in his car during the summer ...

If Beasley somehow becomes available for the minimum, you take him without thinking about it.
Helljumper

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:17 pm

If the Suns are not able to get out of the contract because of this case or Scottsdale police’s investigation into an allegation of sexual assault, the Suns could cut ties with Beasley with a “stretch provision” allowed under the current CBA for a player signed after July 1, 2011. Beasley is guaranteed $6 million in salary for the coming season, and half of his $6 million salary for 2014-15 is guaranteed. By waiving him under the stretch provision this summer, the Suns could take that $9 million of guaranteed salary and pay it over five years and choose whether it counted against the salary cap over two years or five years. If they waited to waive him until after Sept. 1, they would pay him $6 million and stretch the remaining guaranteed $3 million over three years for a lesser cap hit in future years. Arizona Republic

I'd hope the FO would be willing to look past a small police issue and sign him for vet min...I'm sure he'd be open to signing here and either starting at PF or backup PF. Open to either him or Odom. Both have faults and problems but are good in their own way for our team and cheap.
Ariza3

Postby Center Court on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:No on Beasley. Our forward rotation is suddenly crowded and we need high character guys after last season's fiasco.

we took LO on and look how that paid off
Center Court

Postby revgen on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:41 am

If the Lakers can take a chance on Isiah Rider, Matt Barnes, and Metta World Peace, I don't see how they can't take a chance on Beasley if the price is right.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby JSM on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:55 am

Since he was being mentioned as one of the targets we should go after when he's available...

Kurt Helin ‏@basketballtalk 2h
Report: Bucks, Larry Sanders close to contract extension http://dlvr.it/3ml04b
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion