Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:43 am

Well that was two weeks ago... Last I'd heard, the deal was almost done.

But yeah, sounds like his previous agent wasn't battling hard enough and he wanted more money from the Bucks. Loyalty? How about get the agent that gets you the most money. Sanders doesn't owe that agent anything.

Agents get paid like any other employee. If that employee isn't making enough scratch for the boss, why is it that the boss should keep him around?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:35 pm

Al Harrington Nearing Deal With Wizards

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 37m

Hearing: Newly minted free agent Al Harrington is leaning toward signing with Wizards. More to come shortly


https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statu ... 4596452353
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10406
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby WilliamHaven on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:00 am

so who is left at PF other than Odom (or Jamison or even potentially Beasley)?
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
User avatar
WilliamHaven

 
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:25 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:47 am

WilliamHaven wrote:so who is left at PF other than Odom (or Jamison or even potentially Beasley)?

Tyrus Thomas, Shawne Williams got a camp invite. I think that's pretty much it unless we snag Harrington away from the Wizards.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby JSM on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:47 pm

janis carr ‏@janiscarr 2h
From Buss article: NBA opposing asst coach said FAs feel Lakers' track record impressive but not cutting edge any longer in many areas
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94033
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Weezy on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:53 pm

Well I mean yeah, the new CBA is designed to try and even the playing field, the allure of the Lakers would seem to me to remain playing in LA, the winning history, and the commitment to winning (spending to win, championship truly being the goal almost every season) going forward. I guess if this new generation of players needs to be swayed by flashy techniques then our FO will have to adapt, or we will just look for players that value winning first as usual, time will tell I guess.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50866
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby revgen on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:07 pm

JSM wrote:
janis carr ‏@janiscarr 2h
From Buss article: NBA opposing asst coach said FAs feel Lakers' track record impressive but not cutting edge any longer in many areas


Pro

Living in LA
Marketing Opportunities
Track record of winning
Large and loyal fanbase

Con

Not the only team in LA
Coach D'Antoni does not have a winning track record.
State income taxes are high
The core group is made up of older players who seem to be on the wrong side of 30 based on last season's fiasco.
3 coaches in 3 years. Uncertainty about where the franchise is headed.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21723
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Center Court on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:50 pm

revgen wrote:
JSM wrote:
janis carr ‏@janiscarr 2h
From Buss article: NBA opposing asst coach said FAs feel Lakers' track record impressive but not cutting edge any longer in many areas


Pro

Living in LA
Marketing Opportunities
Track record of winning
Large and loyal fanbase

Con

Not the only team in LA
Coach D'Antoni does not have a winning track record.
State income taxes are high
The core group is made up of older players who seem to be on the wrong side of 30 based on last season's fiasco.
3 coaches in 3 years. Uncertainty about where the franchise is headed.


Good news: all the cons you listed are/can be temporary. bad news: Nobody knows if Jim can keep all the pros as pros.

Obv LeBron AND Melo would 110% restore order in Laker land and Jim would have a great rebound from his Coaching/Dwight debacles. I highly doubt that happens.. If it takes to 2015 and we have a lotto pick and Love/Rondo/Hibbert, I think that'd go along way.

Sadly to say, I think it's going to be a long ride until we're back at the top. IMO Wiggins is the guy who could be the "savior". Our next Kobe/Magic. But then again, we're not exactly looking to lose.

:bang:
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:39 pm

Hey, is Shawn Marion a free agent? I looked that their roster on the Mavs' official website. And it says that he is. Or they did they make a mistake?
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10406
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Sources: Ronnie Brewer Has Agreed To Terms With The Rockets

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Sources: Ronnie Brewer Has Agreed To Terms With The Rockets

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 32m

Houston Rockets, I'm told, are wrapping up a deal with free agent Ronnie Brewer


https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statu ... 4831147010

Dammit! Why didn't Mitch call his agent? I was hoping the Lakers to sign him since nobody wanted him.
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10406
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Re: Sources: Ronnie Brewer Has Agreed To Terms With The Rockets

Postby Center Court on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:07 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:
Sources: Ronnie Brewer Has Agreed To Terms With The Rockets

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 32m

Houston Rockets, I'm told, are wrapping up a deal with free agent Ronnie Brewer


https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statu ... 4831147010

Dammit! Why didn't Mitch call his agent? I was hoping the Lakers to sign him since nobody wanted him.


Rockets are cleaning up this off-season. They may very well come out of the west. The one thing Dwight may have done for LA is create a stronger support for the Clips because I, for one, will be rooting hard for Houston to lose.

Asik/D Mo/Camby
Dwight/T Jo/Smith
Parsons/Garcia/Casspi
Harden/Brewer
Beverly/Lin/Brooks

Putting aside all disdain for Dwight, I get why he wanted to play with that team. It's stacked. I think they are best of moving Asik for Ryan Andersen but nonetheless, wow.
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:23 pm

That team is stacked? :man3:

"DMO" - What has he done in the league?
Camby - Is he injured yet?
"TJO" - What has he done in the league?
Casspi - Relevant still?
Beverly - One series makes him good now?
Lin - Average at best
Brooks - What has he done in the last few years?
Brewer - Can't shoot, that doesn't help D12 or Asik
Smith - Does he even get minutes to make an impact?

Houston's offense won't be as successful as last season when whoever is guarding Asik is sitting in Howard's lap. Hack a Dwasik will be in full effect.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Center Court on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Doc Brown wrote:That team is stacked? :man3:

"DMO" - What has he done in the league?
Camby - Is he injured yet?
"TJO" - What has he done in the league?
Casspi - Relevant still?
Beverly - One series makes him good now?
Lin - Average at best
Brooks - What has he done in the last few years?
Brewer - Can't shoot, that doesn't help D12 or Asik
Smith - Does he even get minutes to make an impact?

Houston's offense won't be as successful as last season when whoever is guarding Asik is sitting in Howard's lap. Hack a Dwasik will be in full effect.


If you want to attach a short sighted negative question for each member of our roster it'd be pitiful.
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Did anyone say THIS team was stacked?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Sources: Ronnie Brewer Has Agreed To Terms With The Rockets

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Center Court wrote:
Kobe8Fan wrote:
Sources: Ronnie Brewer Has Agreed To Terms With The Rockets

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 32m

Houston Rockets, I'm told, are wrapping up a deal with free agent Ronnie Brewer


https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statu ... 4831147010

Dammit! Why didn't Mitch call his agent? I was hoping the Lakers to sign him since nobody wanted him.


Rockets are cleaning up this off-season. They may very well come out of the west. The one thing Dwight may have done for LA is create a stronger support for the Clips because I, for one, will be rooting hard for Houston to lose.

Asik/D Mo/Camby
Dwight/T Jo/Smith
Parsons/Garcia/Casspi
Harden/Brewer
Beverly/Lin/Brooks

Putting aside all disdain for Dwight, I get why he wanted to play with that team. It's stacked. I think they are best of moving Asik for Ryan Andersen but nonetheless, wow.


you really think they start Asik and Howard together??? That's not going to happen.
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11703
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:21 pm

^^^It's being thrown around by McHale. They are going to try it in training camp. D12 is apparently excited to play PF, while Asik plays C.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Rooscooter on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^It's being thrown around by McHale. They are going to try it in training camp. D12 is apparently excited to play PF, while Asik plays C.


Funny..... I thought "Herman" was smarter than that.

Howard has enough trouble playing Center on offense and putting him in space on PF's on defense has genius written all over it..... :man10:
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23127
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby charvin on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Howard starting at PF with Asik at C signals joy all across the league. Both are offensively challenged so the defending PF/C can just run back and forth and double either guy due to lack of spacing.
charvin

 
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Center Court on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:11 am

Doc Brown wrote:^^^It's being thrown around by McHale. They are going to try it in training camp. D12 is apparently excited to play PF, while Asik plays C.



This.

I don't get it but they like the idea. I can see how in stretches that will dominate, but overall it's flawed. Like I said, if I were them I'd try and move Asik for Ryan Andersen or Paul Milsap.

And real, nobody every said "THIS team is stacked" but I'm trying to show that just by labeling each player with some negative connotation is naive. You could do that for every team and every player. Since we are all laker fans, I figure it'll resonate a bit more.
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:48 am

This would be a" let's try to keep Asik happy until we find a good trade for him " move ... terrible idea
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby nduri on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:36 am

kenzo wrote:
Center Court wrote:
JSM wrote:Since he was being mentioned as one of the targets we should go after when he's available...

Kurt Helin ‏@basketballtalk 2h
Report: Bucks, Larry Sanders close to contract extension http://dlvr.it/3ml04b



George, Sanders, Wall are all going re-up. Out of that draft, Cousins is the guy that may become available.

Young stars, or just young players in general, will never turn down their first big contract to land on a championship team/desirable situation.

That first big contract is all about $$$. In a maybe they go the Bron/Wade/Bosh route and re-sign on a shorter deal with an opt out clause but they are still going to resign.

Losing Dwight was a much bigger blow than Laker fans acknowledge.

Anyhow, Beasley/Odom/Harrington. We need one of them and IMO Ronnie Brewer.

Pau/Kaman/Sacre
Hill/Beasley/Kelly
Young/Johnson
Kobe/Meeks/Brewer
Nash/Blake/Farmar

True on all acounts.
As for Howard. Whether someone likes him or not, him leaving was HUGE. I can't remember anyone leaving that much money.


Howard didn't leave any REAL money on the table as long as he stays healthy. He actually makes a bit more over the 4 years because of the State tax situation. Now if he is not a max type player, or if there are more contract restrictions through another CBA (which I don't know if there will be another one before his contract expires.) then he loses money.
Back at'cha 24-7
User avatar
nduri

 
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:52 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:22 am

Center Court wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:^^^It's being thrown around by McHale. They are going to try it in training camp. D12 is apparently excited to play PF, while Asik plays C.


And real, nobody every said "THIS team is stacked" but I'm trying to show that just by labeling each player with some negative connotation is naive. You could do that for every team and every player. Since we are all laker fans, I figure it'll resonate a bit more.

Well if you're trying to say that the argument is a poor one to make, then doing the same thing for this team is an equally poor counter argument don't you think?

Personally, I thought Doc had good points. The names on their team don't ring as all that intimidating to me. And considering the imbalance on their squad as it's constructed, I'm not entirely convinced they're going to be all that successful this year.

Especially if they can't move Asik. Those two starting together is going to be great. Imagine trying to drive against that if you're Lin or Harden. Defenses around the league are just salivating at the thought of those two clogging the lane offensively and then being a liability defensively on fast breaks. Then you add in that they don't have many creators outside of Harden and Lin (and of those Lin is extremely average)... That team could have a tough go of it this season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Center Court on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:09 am

therealdeal wrote:
Center Court wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:^^^It's being thrown around by McHale. They are going to try it in training camp. D12 is apparently excited to play PF, while Asik plays C.


And real, nobody every said "THIS team is stacked" but I'm trying to show that just by labeling each player with some negative connotation is naive. You could do that for every team and every player. Since we are all laker fans, I figure it'll resonate a bit more.

Well if you're trying to say that the argument is a poor one to make, then doing the same thing for this team is an equally poor counter argument don't you think?

Personally, I thought Doc had good points. The names on their team don't ring as all that intimidating to me. And considering the imbalance on their squad as it's constructed, I'm not entirely convinced they're going to be all that successful this year.

Especially if they can't move Asik. Those two starting together is going to be great. Imagine trying to drive against that if you're Lin or Harden. Defenses around the league are just salivating at the thought of those two clogging the lane offensively and then being a liability defensively on fast breaks. Then you add in that they don't have many creators outside of Harden and Lin (and of those Lin is extremely average)... That team could have a tough go of it this season.


You're right, the names are not intimidating. However, that is very we have consistently lacked over the years.. find that collection of non-intimidating names who can make a big impact.

Garcia, Casspi, and Brewer are all guys I and others had been hoping to sign. Brooks may never get back to his form but still has the ability to score in the few mins he will see. Camby is a veteran locker room presence. Donte is a young big with size and some all around ability. Jones is a mobile 4. Smith is a more undersized rugged pf.

So I agree there is nothing fealful about those names, but the sum of the whole is IMO pretty good. If they move Asik for Andersen I think they are in the finals.

Back to the Lakers and why I brought all that up, it's frustrating to see guys who can have some level impact (more so than our current options) get signed by other teams. Harrington went to Wash. Odom has yet to sign.

While I'll praise Mitch for Kaman, Young, Wes, and Farmar, it's still been a horrid summer.
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:36 am

It has been a horrid summer by the Lakers' standards, but when a player like Howard leaves the franchise no matter what happens, it's been a horrid summer. Yes he's immature, yes he's an idiot, but he's also very talented and you never like watching talent leave.

HOWEVER, everything beyond that has been a pretty good move from the Lakers. They're not going to find themselves beholden to long term, expensive contracts which limits the moves they can make for most players. They aren't a contender in anyone's imagination, so they aren't going to interest older veterans. They aren't under the cap so they can't spend much. When all of those things are taken into account, Mitch and Jim did an excellent job of finding talent that was both YOUNG and had POTENTIAL to improve.

Wesley Johnson, Nick Young, and Jordan Farmar are GREAT signings for the team given their constraints. Chris Kaman was probably the most talented veteran we could get for that price at a position we needed some depth.

The rest- Sacre, Meeks, Harris, Kelly, and Landry are all good signings as well. No they aren't big names and no they're most likely not going to make a huge impact in games this season. BUT they're all young enough to develop and that youth was something the team has been really lacking. Guys like Harris and Kelly especially have the kind of talent that could turn into a rotation player at some point.

The Lakers have been sorely lacking in "homegrown" young guys and this is the PERFECT time to try to get them. On a team not expected to go far, why waste time and money trying to after a guy like Odom or a guy like Harrington? They won't want to come here and we don't want to waste time on a veteran who will either leave or retire soon after (with the exception of Kaman).

Has it been a horrid summer? Yes. But I think it's been horrid because of the aftermath of the Lakers' worst season ever. The worst season in franchise history doesn't just go away with no aftershocks. The Lakers are already on their road to recovery though and I think they're doing a good job.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:46 am

The best part of guys like Johnson and Young is that they'd be perfect fits as role players off the bench behind superstar talent.

Players we usually can't afford or interest with such depth and little cap space, show them loyalty and development.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.