Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby charvin on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Howard starting at PF with Asik at C signals joy all across the league. Both are offensively challenged so the defending PF/C can just run back and forth and double either guy due to lack of spacing.
charvin

 
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Center Court on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:11 am

Doc Brown wrote:^^^It's being thrown around by McHale. They are going to try it in training camp. D12 is apparently excited to play PF, while Asik plays C.



This.

I don't get it but they like the idea. I can see how in stretches that will dominate, but overall it's flawed. Like I said, if I were them I'd try and move Asik for Ryan Andersen or Paul Milsap.

And real, nobody every said "THIS team is stacked" but I'm trying to show that just by labeling each player with some negative connotation is naive. You could do that for every team and every player. Since we are all laker fans, I figure it'll resonate a bit more.
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:48 am

This would be a" let's try to keep Asik happy until we find a good trade for him " move ... terrible idea
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby nduri on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:36 am

kenzo wrote:
Center Court wrote:
JSM wrote:Since he was being mentioned as one of the targets we should go after when he's available...

Kurt Helin ‏@basketballtalk 2h
Report: Bucks, Larry Sanders close to contract extension http://dlvr.it/3ml04b



George, Sanders, Wall are all going re-up. Out of that draft, Cousins is the guy that may become available.

Young stars, or just young players in general, will never turn down their first big contract to land on a championship team/desirable situation.

That first big contract is all about $$$. In a maybe they go the Bron/Wade/Bosh route and re-sign on a shorter deal with an opt out clause but they are still going to resign.

Losing Dwight was a much bigger blow than Laker fans acknowledge.

Anyhow, Beasley/Odom/Harrington. We need one of them and IMO Ronnie Brewer.

Pau/Kaman/Sacre
Hill/Beasley/Kelly
Young/Johnson
Kobe/Meeks/Brewer
Nash/Blake/Farmar

True on all acounts.
As for Howard. Whether someone likes him or not, him leaving was HUGE. I can't remember anyone leaving that much money.


Howard didn't leave any REAL money on the table as long as he stays healthy. He actually makes a bit more over the 4 years because of the State tax situation. Now if he is not a max type player, or if there are more contract restrictions through another CBA (which I don't know if there will be another one before his contract expires.) then he loses money.
Back at'cha 24-7
User avatar
nduri

 
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:52 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:22 am

Center Court wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:^^^It's being thrown around by McHale. They are going to try it in training camp. D12 is apparently excited to play PF, while Asik plays C.


And real, nobody every said "THIS team is stacked" but I'm trying to show that just by labeling each player with some negative connotation is naive. You could do that for every team and every player. Since we are all laker fans, I figure it'll resonate a bit more.

Well if you're trying to say that the argument is a poor one to make, then doing the same thing for this team is an equally poor counter argument don't you think?

Personally, I thought Doc had good points. The names on their team don't ring as all that intimidating to me. And considering the imbalance on their squad as it's constructed, I'm not entirely convinced they're going to be all that successful this year.

Especially if they can't move Asik. Those two starting together is going to be great. Imagine trying to drive against that if you're Lin or Harden. Defenses around the league are just salivating at the thought of those two clogging the lane offensively and then being a liability defensively on fast breaks. Then you add in that they don't have many creators outside of Harden and Lin (and of those Lin is extremely average)... That team could have a tough go of it this season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Center Court on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:09 am

therealdeal wrote:
Center Court wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:^^^It's being thrown around by McHale. They are going to try it in training camp. D12 is apparently excited to play PF, while Asik plays C.


And real, nobody every said "THIS team is stacked" but I'm trying to show that just by labeling each player with some negative connotation is naive. You could do that for every team and every player. Since we are all laker fans, I figure it'll resonate a bit more.

Well if you're trying to say that the argument is a poor one to make, then doing the same thing for this team is an equally poor counter argument don't you think?

Personally, I thought Doc had good points. The names on their team don't ring as all that intimidating to me. And considering the imbalance on their squad as it's constructed, I'm not entirely convinced they're going to be all that successful this year.

Especially if they can't move Asik. Those two starting together is going to be great. Imagine trying to drive against that if you're Lin or Harden. Defenses around the league are just salivating at the thought of those two clogging the lane offensively and then being a liability defensively on fast breaks. Then you add in that they don't have many creators outside of Harden and Lin (and of those Lin is extremely average)... That team could have a tough go of it this season.


You're right, the names are not intimidating. However, that is very we have consistently lacked over the years.. find that collection of non-intimidating names who can make a big impact.

Garcia, Casspi, and Brewer are all guys I and others had been hoping to sign. Brooks may never get back to his form but still has the ability to score in the few mins he will see. Camby is a veteran locker room presence. Donte is a young big with size and some all around ability. Jones is a mobile 4. Smith is a more undersized rugged pf.

So I agree there is nothing fealful about those names, but the sum of the whole is IMO pretty good. If they move Asik for Andersen I think they are in the finals.

Back to the Lakers and why I brought all that up, it's frustrating to see guys who can have some level impact (more so than our current options) get signed by other teams. Harrington went to Wash. Odom has yet to sign.

While I'll praise Mitch for Kaman, Young, Wes, and Farmar, it's still been a horrid summer.
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:36 am

It has been a horrid summer by the Lakers' standards, but when a player like Howard leaves the franchise no matter what happens, it's been a horrid summer. Yes he's immature, yes he's an idiot, but he's also very talented and you never like watching talent leave.

HOWEVER, everything beyond that has been a pretty good move from the Lakers. They're not going to find themselves beholden to long term, expensive contracts which limits the moves they can make for most players. They aren't a contender in anyone's imagination, so they aren't going to interest older veterans. They aren't under the cap so they can't spend much. When all of those things are taken into account, Mitch and Jim did an excellent job of finding talent that was both YOUNG and had POTENTIAL to improve.

Wesley Johnson, Nick Young, and Jordan Farmar are GREAT signings for the team given their constraints. Chris Kaman was probably the most talented veteran we could get for that price at a position we needed some depth.

The rest- Sacre, Meeks, Harris, Kelly, and Landry are all good signings as well. No they aren't big names and no they're most likely not going to make a huge impact in games this season. BUT they're all young enough to develop and that youth was something the team has been really lacking. Guys like Harris and Kelly especially have the kind of talent that could turn into a rotation player at some point.

The Lakers have been sorely lacking in "homegrown" young guys and this is the PERFECT time to try to get them. On a team not expected to go far, why waste time and money trying to after a guy like Odom or a guy like Harrington? They won't want to come here and we don't want to waste time on a veteran who will either leave or retire soon after (with the exception of Kaman).

Has it been a horrid summer? Yes. But I think it's been horrid because of the aftermath of the Lakers' worst season ever. The worst season in franchise history doesn't just go away with no aftershocks. The Lakers are already on their road to recovery though and I think they're doing a good job.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:46 am

The best part of guys like Johnson and Young is that they'd be perfect fits as role players off the bench behind superstar talent.

Players we usually can't afford or interest with such depth and little cap space, show them loyalty and development.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby kblo247 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:^^^It's being thrown around by McHale. They are going to try it in training camp. D12 is apparently excited to play PF, while Asik plays C.


Funny..... I thought "Herman" was smarter than that.

Howard has enough trouble playing Center on offense and putting him in space on PF's on defense has genius written all over it..... :man10:

Screw that for a bit. It becomes a double hack situation.
Image
User avatar
kblo247

 
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:10 pm

James Johnson Will Work Out For Spurs, Hawks and Jazz

Image

Free agent forward James Johnson will attend workouts for the San Antonio Spurs, Atlanta Hawks and Utah Jazz and is hoping to leave teams impressed, league sources told RealGM.

Ever since Johnson was drafted 16th in the 2009 NBA draft, teams have envisioned him as an athletic forward at 6-foot-9, but he’s yet to put together a breakout season in four years.

Johnson’s ability to perform in workout settings could have one team intrigued enough to give him an opportunity, though.

Johnson played a complete season with the Chicago Bulls in 2009-10, but he was traded to the Toronto Raptors the next year and averaged 9.1 points and 4.7 rebounds in 2011-12. Johnson, 26, spent last season as mostly a reserve for the Sacramento Kings.


http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... Hawks-Jazz

Lakers should be giving James Johnson a call.
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10302
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Center Court on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Can anyone think of any superstar/all star players who are going to be looking to be moved for expiring k's this year?
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Center Court wrote:Can anyone think of any superstar/all star players who are going to be looking to be moved for expiring k's this year?


LaMarcus Aldridge and Rondo are the ones that come to mind.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby trodgers on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:00 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:This would be a" let's try to keep Asik happy until we find a good trade for him " move ... terrible idea

That's exactly what I thought.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby earvinfr on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:55 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
Center Court wrote:Can anyone think of any superstar/all star players who are going to be looking to be moved for expiring k's this year?


LaMarcus Aldridge and Rondo are the ones that come to mind.

Pau ?
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: France

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Center Court on Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:58 pm

earvinfr wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:
Center Court wrote:Can anyone think of any superstar/all star players who are going to be looking to be moved for expiring k's this year?


LaMarcus Aldridge and Rondo are the ones that come to mind.

Pau ?


I meant who can we target in a trade using Pau/Blake/Meeks/Etc.

Aldridge and Rondo are out of the question IMO
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Rooscooter on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Center Court wrote:
earvinfr wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:
Center Court wrote:Can anyone think of any superstar/all star players who are going to be looking to be moved for expiring k's this year?


LaMarcus Aldridge and Rondo are the ones that come to mind.

Pau ?


I meant who can we target in a trade using Pau/Blake/Meeks/Etc.

Aldridge and Rondo are out of the question IMO


If we haven't traded Pau we aren't I'm afraid. My guess is that he will expire and sign here again for 10 Million or so after we sign a decent player or two.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23078
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:18 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 11m
Clippers closing in on a deal with forward Antawn Jamison.
Expand
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 am

Good.. If the reports are true & Lamar already wants to be a Laker, Jamison to Clips makes it a sure thing if he commits to cleaning up..
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lotus on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:12 am

lakersin4 wrote:Good.. If the reports are true & Lamar already wants to be a Laker, Jamison to Clips makes it a sure thing if he commits to cleaning up..

You really think it's a good idea to sign someone at the end of their career, for a 1 year contract, who is battling at least a 2 year hardcore drug problem? Come on now.
lotus

 
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 8:15 am

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:44 am

lotus wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:Good.. If the reports are true & Lamar already wants to be a Laker, Jamison to Clips makes it a sure thing if he commits to cleaning up..

You really think it's a good idea to sign someone at the end of their career, for a 1 year contract, who is battling at least a 2 year hardcore drug problem? Come on now.

Well.. He was battling the same drug problem before he went to rehab & signed with the Clips.. & he was a solid contributor for them. There's no reason he can't clean up his act & do the same for us.. With Kobe, Pau, & Farmar around to remind him of the good days, & Phil could & probably would get involved.. I think LO has a better chance at turning it around & atleast being a solid rotation player on this team than any other. Let's be real, it would be a great feel-good story during what will likely be a disappointing season. We could use the distraction. Also, with all the talk of the Lakers no longer being the top notch franchise that we were under Dr. Buss, what better way to prove them wrong by being there for LO & helping him turn his life around? Might be a good selling point for DeMarcus Cousins if he decides to hold the queens at ransom.

Putting all sentimental stuff aside.. Who else is out there to sign? We have 1 PF who has played a single minute in the NBA, & he hasn't shown any ability to stay healthy for more than 16 MPG. If we were interested in Tyrus Thomas we would have heard about it by now, but he's the only remaining PF I take over LO. Once Jamison signs with the Clips those are the only 2 players on the market that have proven anything in the league.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:19 am

lotus wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:Good.. If the reports are true & Lamar already wants to be a Laker, Jamison to Clips makes it a sure thing if he commits to cleaning up..

You really think it's a good idea to sign someone at the end of their career, for a 1 year contract, who is battling at least a 2 year hardcore drug problem? Come on now.

This. One million times this.

Reaching out to show a sign of friendship and support? Absolutely.

Giving him a contract worth one million dollars or more so he can continue to feed his addiction while not providing positive leadership to our team? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

No to Lamar. Offer him some help, but not a contract.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:39 am

I'm not saying sign him right away.. Obviously he has to get clean & pass a test for us before we even consider anything.. What I'm saying is get that ball rolling.. If Lamar can go through rehab, rejoin our team & stay clean, he's without a doubt the best option out there. There are plenty of if's but what better player are we going to sign for the minimum? We're paper thin at PF & barring a breakout rookie season from Kelly or Harris or Jordan Hill becoming a stud starter for 30+ MPG, we're going to be seeing alot of Pau/Kaman or D'antoni trying to play Wes Johnson at the 4. We desperately need to sign a proven PF, & the only 2 remaining are LO & Tyrus Thomas. I'd much rather sign TT because he's younger & can block shots, but we obviously aren't interested. The only way we end up doing better than LO is if Beasley becomes available & signs here. If we're waiting on that, then I'd still love to see the team reach out & try to help LO get it together.. He was a big part of 3 trips to the finals & played his heart out through thick & thin for us.. Yes he lost it & demanded a trade, but that shows you how much he loved being a Laker.. He was devastated by finding out that we were willing to trade him.. He's still a Laker at heart & I really hope this isn't how his story ends.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lotus on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:23 am

lakersin4 wrote:I'm not saying sign him right away.. Obviously he has to get clean & pass a test for us before we even consider anything.. What I'm saying is get that ball rolling.. If Lamar can go through rehab, rejoin our team & stay clean, he's without a doubt the best option out there. There are plenty of if's but what better player are we going to sign for the minimum? We're paper thin at PF & barring a breakout rookie season from Kelly or Harris or Jordan Hill becoming a stud starter for 30+ MPG, we're going to be seeing alot of Pau/Kaman or D'antoni trying to play Wes Johnson at the 4. We desperately need to sign a proven PF, & the only 2 remaining are LO & Tyrus Thomas. I'd much rather sign TT because he's younger & can block shots, but we obviously aren't interested. The only way we end up doing better than LO is if Beasley becomes available & signs here. If we're waiting on that, then I'd still love to see the team reach out & try to help LO get it together.. He was a big part of 3 trips to the finals & played his heart out through thick & thin for us.. Yes he lost it & demanded a trade, but that shows you how much he loved being a Laker.. He was devastated by finding out that we were willing to trade him.. He's still a Laker at heart & I really hope this isn't how his story ends.

Let it go man... There is no fast recovery from crack use. Don't let the nostaligia and love for L.O. cloud your judgement. It is time for him to retire and battle that problem. He can't provide any value to the Lakers and dealing with a busy work schedule will only make the pressures on him worse.

In the meantime, it looks like the clippers will yet again undercutting a potential Lakers move by pursuing Antwan Jamison. They are doing this so much lately that it's starting to seem personal with the Buss family.
lotus

 
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 8:15 am

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:48 am

Lakers need a 3rd string SG. Sign Richard Hamilton!
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10302
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby TIME on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:10 am

lotus wrote:In the meantime, it looks like the clippers will yet again undercutting a potential Lakers move by pursuing Antwan Jamison. They are doing this so much lately that it's starting to seem personal with the Buss family.


No way Antawn was coming back to play for D'Antoni again.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9437
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.