Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lotus on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:42 am

TIME wrote:
lotus wrote:In the meantime, it looks like the clippers will yet again undercutting a potential Lakers move by pursuing Antwan Jamison. They are doing this so much lately that it's starting to seem personal with the Buss family.

No way Antawn was coming back to play for D'Antoni again.

Yea, very true considering the bad departure. The irony is that I think it would actually work out really well this year if he were on the team considering the roster change and training camp. But, realistically he is in pursuit of a ring and I hope he gets one at some point, but just not with the clippers.
lotus

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:33 pm

clipers were taking their time to decide between odom and jamison as they were basically the only ones to really show serious interest. now that the odom drug thing got out their decision was made for them and theyre going after jamison. on D hes bad but on O he'll do alot for them and is a game changer. he single handedly won games for us with his 3 game and rebounding putbacks. so clips are gonna get even more dangerous by taking exlakers.
Ariza3

Postby earvinfr on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Ariza3 wrote:clipers were taking their time to decide between odom and jamison as they were basically the only ones to really show serious interest. now that the odom drug thing got out their decision was made for them and theyre going after jamison. on D hes bad but on O he'll do alot for them and is a game changer. he single handedly won games for us with his 3 game and rebounding putbacks. so clips are gonna get even more dangerous by taking exlakers.

I'll not miss Jamison. Shooting and missing a lot of 3s and no defense. I really don't want him back !!
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby Weezy on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:17 am

Is our roster set or something, are we really not going to sign a PF? That to me makes no sense. And when is training camp already? I can't find anything about when it starts online, only when the first preseason game is.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Weezy wrote:Is our roster set or something, are we really not going to sign a PF? That to me makes no sense. And when is training camp already? I can't find anything about when it starts online, only when the first preseason game is.

The only person I heard we might be after still is Amundson, but I bet we have our roster pretty much set.

Nash/Blake/Farmar
Bryant/Young/Meeks
Johnson/Harris
Hill/Landry/Kelly
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:55 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:Is our roster set or something, are we really not going to sign a PF? That to me makes no sense. And when is training camp already? I can't find anything about when it starts online, only when the first preseason game is.

The only person I heard we might be after still is Amundson, but I bet we have our roster pretty much set.

Nash/Blake/Farmar
Bryant/Young/Meeks
Johnson/Harris
Hill/Landry/Kelly
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre

I guess as a makeshift one year roster, it's not so bad. We will need all the luck we can get though.
lotus

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:57 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Nash/Blake/Farmar
Bryant/Young/Meeks
Johnson/Harris
Hill/Landry/Kelly
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre

I think these pieces will be shuffled differently. Obviously Blake will still play some pg and Young will still play sg (especially if/when Kobe is out rehabbing), but in terms of where most of their minutes will come, I think this is it.

Nash/Farmar
Bryant/Blake/Meeks
Johnson/Young/Harris
Hill/Kelly/Landry
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Nash/Blake/Farmar
Bryant/Young/Meeks
Johnson/Harris
Hill/Landry/Kelly
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre

I think these pieces will be shuffled differently. Obviously Blake will still play some pg and Young will still play sg (especially if/when Kobe is out rehabbing), but in terms of where most of their minutes will come, I think this is it.

Nash/Farmar
Bryant/Blake/Meeks
Johnson/Young/Harris
Hill/Kelly/Landry
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre

I was just listing the names in their general positions, but yes you're right.

I think it'll break down something like-
Nash (28)/Blake (5)/Farmar (15)
Bryant (32)/ Blake (11)/Young (5) Meeks (0)
Johnson (24)/(Young 24)/ Harris (0)
Hill (25)/ Kelly (10)/ Gasol (3)/ Landry
Gasol (30)/ Kaman (18)/ Sacre (0)
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:14 pm

I hope at least one of our three non guaranteed contracts will become a solid part of our rotation. It's wishful thinking but I believe it's necessary for us, especially with the lack of depth at PF.
XXIV

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:19 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Nash/Blake/Farmar
Bryant/Young/Meeks
Johnson/Harris
Hill/Landry/Kelly
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre

Nash/Farmar
Bryant/Blake/Meeks
Johnson/Young/Harris
Hill/Kelly/Landry
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre

I was just listing the names in their general positions, but yes you're right.

I think it'll break down something like-
Nash (28)/Blake (5)/Farmar (15)
Bryant (32)/ Blake (11)/Young (5) Meeks (0)
Johnson (24)/(Young 24)/ Harris (0)
Hill (25)/ Kelly (10)/ Gasol (3)/ Landry
Gasol (30)/ Kaman (18)/ Sacre (0)

Agreed. I wonder if Kobe will see time at SF. That complicates things. :man11:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:20 pm

:man10:

Well in D'Antoni's offense the 2 and the 3 are going to be pretty much interchangeable... so maybe?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:33 pm

In my opinion, if Kobe misses the majority of the season while Nash and Pau are always in and out of the starting 5, it's not the worst thing at all.

I know others hate tanking but from a business sense, getting the number 1 pick in this years draft is a brilliant move.

I don't think that's our objective but it's sure hard to understand why no further additions have been made. Harrington went un-targeted, Odom is off our radar, etc.
Center Court

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:21 pm

i dont understand how people think tanking = the number 1 pick?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby bigdog2013 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:44 pm

tanking never really works. The only time it worked was when the cavs tanked to get james. Lakers fan will never let the lakers tanked because are impatient fans.
bigdog2013

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:44 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:i dont understand how people think tanking = the number 1 pick?

Should have gave it a little more time. I was waiting for the.....

We tank and get Wiggins
Melo opts out
Lures Lebron to come here
Dirk is like OMGz I need to come to LA
Pau signs for cheap
Kobe signs for cheap
We resign Hill/Farmar/Young/Johnson for cheap
Pringles donates the rest of his salary to LAYS to put some chips in the bag of air they sell
Phil comes back
Jimmy Buss steps down
Win some rangs for the Kang
Sign Rondo/Love
Kobe gets 8 rings
Dwight Howard comes back to LA only to get basketball reasoned by Adam Silver
LA rejoices and shaves Harden's beard

How much more realistic can we get, this is all very doable IMO.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Center Court on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:51 pm

I don't understand what else tanking means.. you don't tank to get the number 6 pick.
Center Court

Postby kblo247 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Tell that to the Bobcats whole existence
kblo247

Postby Weezy on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:01 pm

Center Court wrote:

I don't understand what else tanking means.. you don't tank to get the number 6 pick.

Tanking gets you a SHOT at the number one pick, but on recent times the worst team/highest percent chance at it has not been winning the top pick. I don't think we're bad enough to tank. If we do have a terrible year I still think we're like just out of the playoffs and that puts us at the top of the lottery at 12-14 at best, those grand don't win the 1st pick. So we'll have tanked and have a mid first rounder to show for it, hooray. I just can't see it if Kobe and Nash can have any impact close to usual this season, these guys don't tank, especially Kobe. We would have to be really, really bad to tank and have a shot at the 1st pick, like 6th worst in the league and below.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:50 pm

bigdog2013 wrote:tanking never really works. The only time it worked was when the cavs tanked to get james. Lakers fan will never let the lakers tanked because are impatient fans.

Even then, the evil Mr. Stern probably had something to do with them getting the #1 pick.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby charvin on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

Should have gave it a little more time. I was waiting for the.....

We tank and get Wiggins
Melo opts out
Lures Lebron to come here
Dirk is like OMGz I need to come to LA
Pau signs for cheap
Kobe signs for cheap
We resign Hill/Farmar/Young/Johnson for cheap
Pringles donates the rest of his salary to LAYS to put some chips in the bag of air they sell
Phil comes back
Jimmy Buss steps down
Win some rangs for the Kang
Sign Rondo/Love
Kobe gets 8 rings
Dwight Howard comes back to LA only to get basketball reasoned by Adam Silver
LA rejoices and shaves Harden's beard

How much more realistic can we get, this is all very doable IMO.

You missed something, we get back the number of first round picks we traded Phoenix and more :man1:
Oh, and there is no more salary cap says Silver.
charvin

Postby D.B. Cooper on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Center Court wrote:

Yes because every team that tanks ALWAYS gets the #1 pick.
:facepalm:
D.B. Cooper

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:04 am

This season is all about proving the doubters wrong.. Kobe can't come back & be a top contributor.. Nash is done.. Pau is steadily declining & won't be able to step up as our main option in the post with no Dwight or Bynum to showcase. Jordan Hill can't stay healthy & can't handle a bigger role.. Nick Young is an inefficient chucker who is best in a limited role.. Wesley Johnson is a bust.. Kaman is declining & not a rotation player on a contender. Farmar can't come back & be a legit NBA PG. Kelly, Harris, Landry, Sacre are all completely unproven.. D'antoni can't coach a winner & The Lakers aren't The Lakers anymore. We have much to show & prove this season.. Last time I felt this way about the team was after we missed the playoffs following the Shaq trade.. I don't think anyone fits the theme this team is being built on better than Tyrus Thomas, & we just happen to be thin at PF & lacking athletes that can block shots. Hopefully we give him a shot & he's interested, but either way, it's going to be a very interesting season. It's strange & possibly not in the best interest of the team, but I'm looking foward to seeing if this group of guys can step up & overachieve more than I would be if we kept Dwight & made safe veteran minimum signings. If Kobe, Pau, & Nash can stay relatively healthy & play at a high level, & the role players step up/an unproven player or 2 becomes a rotation player, this team is going to be so much better than anyone expects.
lakersin4

Postby Center Court on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:09 am

lakersin4 wrote:This season is all about proving the doubters wrong.. Kobe can't come back & be a top contributor.. Nash is done.. Pau is steadily declining & won't be able to step up as our main option in the post with no Dwight or Bynum to showcase. Jordan Hill can't stay healthy & can't handle a bigger role.. Nick Young is an inefficient chucker who is best in a limited role.. Wesley Johnson is a bust.. Kaman is declining & not a rotation player on a contender. Farmar can't come back & be a legit NBA PG. Kelly, Harris, Landry, Sacre are all completely unproven.. D'antoni can't coach a winner & The Lakers aren't The Lakers anymore. We have much to show & prove this season.. Last time I felt this way about the team was after we missed the playoffs following the Shaq trade.. I don't think anyone fits the theme this team is being built on better than Tyrus Thomas, & we just happen to be thin at PF & lacking athletes that can block shots. Hopefully we give him a shot & he's interested, but either way, it's going to be a very interesting season. It's strange & possibly not in the best interest of the team, but I'm looking foward to seeing if this group of guys can step up & overachieve more than I would be if we kept Dwight & made safe veteran minimum signings. If Kobe, Pau, & Nash can stay relatively healthy & play at a high level, & the role players step up/an unproven player or 2 becomes a rotation player, this team is going to be so much better than anyone expects.

Good post but "better than anybody expects" means at best a 5th seed. That would meaning we're playing incredible basketball and someone else is failing. Clips, Houston, OKC, GS, SAS, Memphis, Denver, Minny, Dallas, Portland, and NO are all looking for playoff berths. The first 6 are clearly better than us.

What does that prove to sneak in the the playoffs? That Kobe, Nash,Gasol still got it? Then what? I doubt LeBron or Melo are Lakers.

That's why I keep harping ont he fact that a high lotto pick in this draft is worth the failure. Wiggins, Parker, Randle, and Gordon are all going to be prominent players in the NBA. Wiggins has LeBron level excitement out of HS. IMO Gordon is going to be a franchise changer. Drafting one of them can be the first steps to rebuilding as a dynasty. Wait til 2015 then sign Rondo, Love, Hibbert, etc etc.

I hate to see us lose but sometimes it's a a necessary evil.
Center Court

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:19 am

Center Court wrote:

:man10: :man10: :man10:

sometimes...
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Center Court wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:This season is all about proving the doubters wrong.. Kobe can't come back & be a top contributor.. Nash is done.. Pau is steadily declining & won't be able to step up as our main option in the post with no Dwight or Bynum to showcase. Jordan Hill can't stay healthy & can't handle a bigger role.. Nick Young is an inefficient chucker who is best in a limited role.. Wesley Johnson is a bust.. Kaman is declining & not a rotation player on a contender. Farmar can't come back & be a legit NBA PG. Kelly, Harris, Landry, Sacre are all completely unproven.. D'antoni can't coach a winner & The Lakers aren't The Lakers anymore. We have much to show & prove this season.. Last time I felt this way about the team was after we missed the playoffs following the Shaq trade.. I don't think anyone fits the theme this team is being built on better than Tyrus Thomas, & we just happen to be thin at PF & lacking athletes that can block shots. Hopefully we give him a shot & he's interested, but either way, it's going to be a very interesting season. It's strange & possibly not in the best interest of the team, but I'm looking foward to seeing if this group of guys can step up & overachieve more than I would be if we kept Dwight & made safe veteran minimum signings. If Kobe, Pau, & Nash can stay relatively healthy & play at a high level, & the role players step up/an unproven player or 2 becomes a rotation player, this team is going to be so much better than anyone expects.

Good post but "better than anybody expects" means at best a 5th seed. That would meaning we're playing incredible basketball and someone else is failing. Clips, Houston, OKC, GS, SAS, Memphis, Denver, Minny, Dallas, Portland, and NO are all looking for playoff berths. The first 6 are clearly better than us.

What does that prove to sneak in the the playoffs? That Kobe, Nash,Gasol still got it? Then what? I doubt LeBron or Melo are Lakers.

That's why I keep harping ont he fact that a high lotto pick in this draft is worth the failure. Wiggins, Parker, Randle, and Gordon are all going to be prominent players in the NBA. Wiggins has LeBron level excitement out of HS. IMO Gordon is going to be a franchise changer. Drafting one of them can be the first steps to rebuilding as a dynasty. Wait til 2015 then sign Rondo, Love, Hibbert, etc etc.

I hate to see us lose but sometimes it's a a necessary evil.

I don't think we're bad enough for losing to really help us.. Unless Kobe & Pau completely fall off, they can carry us to the 10th seed worst case.. Even if this season is comparable to the season after we traded Shaq, that still leaves us not near the bottom of the West & only missing the playoffs by a few games.. Wiggins isn't the only hyped player in this draft, they say it's a deep draft as well, so maybe we pick around 10 again like when we got Bynum & lightning strikes twice.. It's possible but I don't think that's something we should be depending on.. Our best bet is to prove that Kobe & Pau, & possibly even Nash are still players a superstar should consider joining to win championships.. We're not going to do that by getting a late lottery pick..Lebron is probably impossible as the Heat are likely to 3peat, but Lebron isn't the only star in the league & free agency isn't the only way to acquire a star.. Maybe we get Melo or Cousins or go after a smaller name like Deng or Granger & try to acquire a superstar via trade.. I think every team in the league's plan A is signing Lebron, but I'd be willing to bet Mitch has his eye on the 2015 class & will try to acquire Love or LMA before they hit free agency..
lakersin4

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion