Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Center Court on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:37 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
Center Court wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:This season is all about proving the doubters wrong.. Kobe can't come back & be a top contributor.. Nash is done.. Pau is steadily declining & won't be able to step up as our main option in the post with no Dwight or Bynum to showcase. Jordan Hill can't stay healthy & can't handle a bigger role.. Nick Young is an inefficient chucker who is best in a limited role.. Wesley Johnson is a bust.. Kaman is declining & not a rotation player on a contender. Farmar can't come back & be a legit NBA PG. Kelly, Harris, Landry, Sacre are all completely unproven.. D'antoni can't coach a winner & The Lakers aren't The Lakers anymore. We have much to show & prove this season.. Last time I felt this way about the team was after we missed the playoffs following the Shaq trade.. I don't think anyone fits the theme this team is being built on better than Tyrus Thomas, & we just happen to be thin at PF & lacking athletes that can block shots. Hopefully we give him a shot & he's interested, but either way, it's going to be a very interesting season. It's strange & possibly not in the best interest of the team, but I'm looking foward to seeing if this group of guys can step up & overachieve more than I would be if we kept Dwight & made safe veteran minimum signings. If Kobe, Pau, & Nash can stay relatively healthy & play at a high level, & the role players step up/an unproven player or 2 becomes a rotation player, this team is going to be so much better than anyone expects.

Good post but "better than anybody expects" means at best a 5th seed. That would meaning we're playing incredible basketball and someone else is failing. Clips, Houston, OKC, GS, SAS, Memphis, Denver, Minny, Dallas, Portland, and NO are all looking for playoff berths. The first 6 are clearly better than us.

What does that prove to sneak in the the playoffs? That Kobe, Nash,Gasol still got it? Then what? I doubt LeBron or Melo are Lakers.

That's why I keep harping ont he fact that a high lotto pick in this draft is worth the failure. Wiggins, Parker, Randle, and Gordon are all going to be prominent players in the NBA. Wiggins has LeBron level excitement out of HS. IMO Gordon is going to be a franchise changer. Drafting one of them can be the first steps to rebuilding as a dynasty. Wait til 2015 then sign Rondo, Love, Hibbert, etc etc.

I hate to see us lose but sometimes it's a a necessary evil.

I don't think we're bad enough for losing to really help us.. Unless Kobe & Pau completely fall off, they can carry us to the 10th seed worst case.. Even if this season is comparable to the season after we traded Shaq, that still leaves us not near the bottom of the West & only missing the playoffs by a few games.. Wiggins isn't the only hyped player in this draft, they say it's a deep draft as well, so maybe we pick around 10 again like when we got Bynum & lightning strikes twice.. It's possible but I don't think that's something we should be depending on.. Our best bet is to prove that Kobe & Pau, & possibly even Nash are still players a superstar should consider joining to win championships.. We're not going to do that by getting a late lottery pick..Lebron is probably impossible as the Heat are likely to 3peat, but Lebron isn't the only star in the league & free agency isn't the only way to acquire a star.. Maybe we get Melo or Cousins or go after a smaller name like Deng or Granger & try to acquire a superstar via trade.. I think every team in the league's plan A is signing Lebron, but I'd be willing to bet Mitch has his eye on the 2015 class & will try to acquire Love or LMA before they hit free agency..

I agree it's a deep draft, but the fact that we don't draft often and our lack of high draft history worries me. Bynum was a good pick. Hopefully we'd draft equally as well this time around. Air Gordon is a guy I'd love to draft.

For me, the perfect scenario would be LeBron and Melo. But that's not happening. A situation I hope comes to fruition is Cousins that is somewhat plausible. He reminds me of a more mobile/agile Marc Gasol. Not sure he can defend that way but his size and skill is franchise player worthy. I think he needs a new team with a new focus and high expectations. Then he'll grow up.

Sign Granger or Deng to a smaller deal $10M per then in 2015 go for Rondo and Love. Resign Kobe for his final season and that's a roster I can get excited about. Cousins/Love/Granger/Kobe/Rondo.

But if we could draft a potential star wing like Wiggins, Gordon (SF), Parker, Randle, etc then do the above level moves, we'd be set up for years to come.

No matter what I do, I clear contracts for when Kyrie is a UFA. I think he's one of those guys who beleives in tradition and welcomes the burden of living up to that.
Center Court

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:37 pm

Ahh there we go. Took a little longer than expected.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:12 pm

We didn't draft often because we were trading out picks for talent to surround Kobe. With an aging elite player, all you can do is surround him with talent that already exists, you can't be developing players while the elite are trying to compete for a ring. Outside of Kyrie and Lillard, the drafts have been fairly weak anyway. Even those guys need some time to develop.

We were a competitive team from 2008-2010 and were primed to get back into contention with CP3 and Howard. Whether our competitive record determined our draft spot or we traded our pick away, we didn't need them because we were too busy ramping the team up for Kobe. That's the story.

I don't understand how people can argue that we haven't had good draft picks after being a championship contending team, while trying to remain competitive with an aging star. And then blame the front office for making the wrong decisions.

Bynum was a pick we got from our first under 500 season in awhile, right after we traded Shaq. And although we lucked out that he panned out to be fairly decent, it wasn't like that draft was deep either.

Even if you say we haven't had any good draft picks, Mitch and co STILL did a fantastic job managing the contracts on this team AND we STILL have our first round pick in the 2014 draft (which as everyone is saying, is deep). No team is trading an unprotected 2014 first round pick and there is no guarantee of a No. 1 pick with tanking with a draft lottery.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Grizzlies Waive Fab Melo

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3m

Memphis has waived center Fab Melo, league source tells Y! Sports.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 4407033856
Kobe8Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Raptors Waive Quentin Richardson

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 4m

Toronto has waived Quentin Richardson, league source tells Y! Sports.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 6023437314

I bet D'Antoni wants him on his squad again.
Kobe8Fan

Postby karacha on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:30 pm

No, Q is pretty much done now. Although he's not old, but he can't score or even shoot anymore for some reason. I don't think MDA wants him on this team. We already have younger, more athletic guys to play the position. We could use a 4 though.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:33 pm

karacha wrote:No, Q is pretty much done now. Although he's not old, but he can't score or even shoot anymore for some reason. I don't think MDA wants him on this team. We already have younger, more athletic guys to play the position. We could use a 4 though.

Yes but Lakers have 2 spots open. Still need to sign a back up PF, and 3rd string SG or SF. Don't know if Elias and Ryan can get the job done at PF. Lamar might not get signed. Mitch should call and give a camp invite to Drew Gooden, Tyrus Thomas, Linas Kleiza Craig Smith and Yi Jianlian. Maybe Mitch should give Corey Maggette a call to fill that SF role since he says he's willing to take a pay cut. Other SF's left are Al Thornton, DeShawn Stevenson and Terrence Williams. Best SG's available are Richard Hamilton, Rashad McCants, Delonte West and Daniel Gibson.
Kobe8Fan

Postby jadej2 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:39 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:
karacha wrote:No, Q is pretty much done now. Although he's not old, but he can't score or even shoot anymore for some reason. I don't think MDA wants him on this team. We already have younger, more athletic guys to play the position. We could use a 4 though.

Yes but Lakers have 2 spots open. Still need to sign a back up PF, and 3rd string SG or SF. Don't know if Elias and Ryan can get the job done at PF. Lamar might not get signed. Mitch should call and give a camp invite to Drew Gooden, Tyrus Thomas, Linas Kleiza Craig Smith and Yi Jianlian. Maybe Mitch should give Corey Maggette a call to fill that SF role since he says he's willing to take a pay cut. Other SF's left are Al Thornton, DeShawn Stevenson and Terrence Williams. Best SG's available are Richard Hamilton, Rashad McCants, Delonte West and Daniel Gibson.

Yeah the Lakers are only going to use one of those spots and leave the other open for later. Also PF is a bigger need right now.
jadej2

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 25m
RT @ESPNNBA: Sources: @Suns to release Michael Beasley by the end of this week (via @ESPNSteinLine) - http://es.pn/18AJ6cp
View summary

IF we are going to take a chance on a druggie this season. I'd rather it be Beasley. At least he has a CHANCE to turn things around, unlike Lamar who is basically at the end of his playing days.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Center Court on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 25m
RT @ESPNNBA: Sources: @Suns to release Michael Beasley by the end of this week (via @ESPNSteinLine) - http://es.pn/18AJ6cp
View summary

IF we are going to take a chance on a druggie this season. I'd rather it be Beasley. At least he has a CHANCE to turn things around, unlike Lamar who is basically at the end of his playing days.

Agreed. Plus, Kobe would whip his stonerass if he was complacent or out of line.
Center Court

Postby darkice18 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:33 pm

I think he would be a perfect pickup. I say yes to Beasley!
darkice18

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Just a quick question (didn't know where to ask ist). When does training camp actually start?
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:06 pm

DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:Just a quick question (didn't know where to ask ist). When does training camp actually start?

Beginning of October. I forgot when media day was. Usually there is media day and then the first day of camp happens the very next day.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:40 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:
DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:Just a quick question (didn't know where to ask ist). When does training camp actually start?

Beginning of October. I forgot when media day was. Usually there is media day and then the first day of camp happens the very next day.

Thanks man! I just found it on hoopsworld. We must be opening camp september 28th, because we are competing in international preseason games. About 3 weeks remaining ... wonder how healthy Kobe will be by the start of training camp.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/key-nba-dates
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby JSM on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:45 pm

Matt Moore CBS ‏@MattMooreCBS 2h
Thunder offically waive DeAndre Liggins. Liggins is accused of domestic violence against his girlfriend, including dropping an X-Box on her.

:man3: ...dropped an X-Box on her? Damn.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:08 pm

She must have screwed up his killstreak.
Doc Brown

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:33 pm

poor xbox
Ariza3

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Heat Considering Bringing Back Michael Beasley

Adrian Wojnarowski 17 minutes ago Yahoo Sports

The two-time defending NBA champion Miami Heat are considering the possibility of bringing back troubled free-agent forward Michael Beasley, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Several of the Heat's key veteran players are supportive of the signing of Beasley, and he has a strong interest in returning to the franchise responsible for taking him with the second overall pick in the 2008 NBA draft, sources told Yahoo.

No offer has been made and no deal is considered imminent, sources said.

The Phoenix Suns reached a buyout agreement with Beasley on the remaining two years of his contract last week. Beasley, 24, was charged for marijuana possession in an August arrest, adding to his considerable history of issues surrounding pot.

Beasley left Phoenix with approximately $7 million of the $9 million owed him on an original three-year, $18 million contract.

Beasley, a 6-foot-10 forward, played two seasons for Miami before president Pat Riley traded him to the Timberwolves in 2010 for draft picks and the salary cap space needed to make the Heat's historic haul of LeBron James and Chris Bosh.

Beasley had two productive seasons with the Heat, averaging 14.1 points in less than 30 minutes a game. Beasley averaged a career-best 19.2 points for the T'wolves in 2010-11. He struggled in the first season of a three-year deal with the Suns, shooting 40.5 percent and averaging 10.1 points.

Nevertheless, Beasley's ability to score makes him an intriguing low-cost, reclamation project for a franchise like Miami with strong leadership and structure throughout the organization.

Miami lost perimeter scoring threat Mike Miller with the amnestying of his contract to save money this summer, and signed free-agent center Greg Oden to try to resurrect his career.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--heat- ... 25482.html
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Go for it. I'm really not excited about Beasley and they'd probably play him at PF which would be fun.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Tim Reynolds: Heat source says there's nothing to Beasley reunion reports. Carry on. Twitter

Ira Winderman: First response from inside Heat regarding Beasley reunion report, "Absolutely nothing. Not true. No." Twitter

Joseph Goodman: Source says no chance Heat would sign Beasley. Twitter
Ariza3

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Can't believe everyone is this down on Beas.. I can see teams like Miami & San Antonio not being interested because they don't need another impact player badly enough to take the risk.. That's not the case for us though, our entire season is in doubt before it even starts.. Without Kobe at near 100% this team isn't good enough to turn down a scorer like Beasley.
lakersin4

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:11 pm

You would think Mitch and Co. would be interested. It's not like he's a heavy drug user, like an ex-Laker we know. He's a weed fanatic, like Iverson was. Worst case scenario he has some issues with PRACTICE.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:36 am

Adrian Wojnarowski 46 minutes ago
Yahoo Sports
Fantasy Football Signup
Los Angeles Lakers free-agent guard Darius Morris is finalizing an agreement with the Philadelphia 76ers, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Morris, 22, will sign a partially guaranteed contract for the 2013-14 season, but is expected to make the 76ers' roster and play meaningful backcourt minutes this season.

Morris, a fleet, 6-foot-4 point guard, turned down a chance to return to the Lakers for his third season there, choosing the chance for a bigger role with the rebuilding 76ers. Philadelphia added two guards this off-season: first-round draft pick Michael Carter-Williams of Syracuse, and it acquired Tony Wroten from the Memphis Grizzlies.

Morris averaged four points and 1.6 assists in 14.2 minutes per game for Los Angeles last season.

After leaving the University of Michigan following his sophomore season, Morris was a second-round pick of the Lakers in 20

We got spurned by another top flight FA. :man6:
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:52 am

I wish him well, I have nothing against Morris. He worked hard here, he played hard, and in a terrible, embarrassing playoff situation he didn't give partial effort, or even quit like some did.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:10 am

The Lakers replaced him with Jordan Farmar... I doubt they even offered him a job back. :man10:

But I did like the kid as a person. He's just not a very good basketball player. Hopefully he makes their team and has a nice season or something.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion