Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:59 am

Mark Berman: Rockets GM Daryl Morey:"We have two of the top 10 players in the league, that's a great start for having a chance to win the title." Twitter @MarkBermanFox26

:man10: idk about 2 out of top 10. maybe harden at #10 but dwight isnt top 10...defensively ya but not overall. theres a lot more guys way better than harden and dwight in the league. lbj kd kobe cp3 melo rose westbrook curry kyrie rondo wade parker lillard and thats not including bigmen better in the post and outside it than dwight. i think are all better than harden somewhat and dwight forsure. harden is good but not until he proves himself in the playoffs...he has yet to with kd and westbrook and without and i doubt dwight will change that.
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:04 am

If Dwight is healthy and motivated he's certainly a top 10 player in the league.

Harden isn't yet.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:20 am

Kevin Ding: Expect Lakers to sign sharpshooter Marcus Landry (@mlandry11) soon. And he's actually good bet to make the team: http://bit.ly/14MHBqt ($) Twitter @KevinDing
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 am

Carmelo Anthony can become a free agent after the upcoming season, but he gave the strongest indication yet that his plan is to re-sign with the Knicks. "I'm not going nowhere," Anthony said during an interview Tuesday with Bloomberg Television's "Market Markers." Newsday
Ariza3

Postby Center Court on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:23 am

therealdeal wrote:If Dwight is healthy and motivated he's certainly a top 10 player in the league.

Harden isn't yet.

Agree on Dwight and disagree on Harden.

As you said, when healthy and motivated, which I assume Dwight to be 100% on both, he's easily a top 10. I'd say top 5-6. LeBron, Durant, Kobe, Rose, CP3, Dwight. However, his impact on the game when he's at his best can be argued as a top 3 even if other peoples numbers trump his.

Harden is a top 5 scorer in the NBA. I think last year went Durant/Melo/Kobe/Bron/Harden. Great ability to create his own shot, attack the basket and is pretty skilled. He's also a very good play maker considering he's a shooting guard.

Factor in Parsons who I think is a good third guy/super role player and some young guys with talent (Beverly/D Mo/ Terrance Jones) Morey's built something special. I think what'll hold them back is Asik. Good player but not a good fit given Dwight's offensive flaws. If they had a Ryand Andersen instead of Asik, I'd have them in the WCF. It's a shame Royce White is how he is because he'd be a tremendous fit.

Morey has also positioned himself to have another surplus of cap space in 2015. Most presume it's to go after Aldridge. If that happens, Dwight is getting his ring.
Center Court

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:59 am

When he was leading the Magic to the finals, Dwight was a top 3 player.. He was right there behind Lebron & Kobe.. His impact on the defensive side was unreal.. But even then he got exposed in the finals by Pau. We still don't know if he'll ever return to his pre-injury self, but he looked pretty good at 80% or so in the 2nd half of the season.. If he gets back to that Magic level of impact on defense, he's a top 10 player no question. But noone knows if we'll ever see that Dwight again. Harden, I think you can an argument for him being a top 10 player.. He's nowhere near Kobe, Lebron, Durant, or even CP3 but I think he's right there with the 2nd tier stars like Melo & Rondo..
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Center Court wrote:
therealdeal wrote:If Dwight is healthy and motivated he's certainly a top 10 player in the league.

Harden isn't yet.

Agree on Dwight and disagree on Harden.

As you said, when healthy and motivated, which I assume Dwight to be 100% on both, he's easily a top 10. I'd say top 5-6. LeBron, Durant, Kobe, Rose, CP3, Dwight. However, his impact on the game when he's at his best can be argued as a top 3 even if other peoples numbers trump his.

Harden is a top 5 scorer in the NBA. I think last year went Durant/Melo/Kobe/Bron/Harden. Great ability to create his own shot, attack the basket and is pretty skilled. He's also a very good play maker considering he's a shooting guard.

Factor in Parsons who I think is a good third guy/super role player and some young guys with talent (Beverly/D Mo/ Terrance Jones) Morey's built something special. I think what'll hold them back is Asik. Good player but not a good fit given Dwight's offensive flaws. If they had a Ryand Andersen instead of Asik, I'd have them in the WCF. It's a shame Royce White is how he is because he'd be a tremendous fit.

Morey has also positioned himself to have another surplus of cap space in 2015. Most presume it's to go after Aldridge. If that happens, Dwight is getting his ring.

I disagree.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Houston. Something special? :man10:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:36 am

No Bulls deal for Luol Deng

The agent for Luol Deng said the Chicago Bulls forward will explore free agency in 2014 after the team tabled contract extension talks until after the upcoming season, according to a report.

ESPNChicago.com Bulls blog
Bulls blog The latest news from Bulls reporter Nick Friedell. Blog

Agent Herb Rudoy told the Chicago Tribune on Tuesday that the Bulls informed him last week there would be no talks this offseason or during training camp to extend the contract of the two-time All-Star, who is entering the final year of a six-year, $71 million deal. Comcast SportsNet reported Monday that contract talks with Deng had stalled.

Amid reports that the Bulls and Deng were engaged in extension talks since the end of last season, Rudoy told ESPNChicago.com's Nick Friedell in June that there had been no negotiations. Sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein in June that the Bulls were gauging Deng's value by having exploratory discussions with the Washington Wizards about a deal that would have sent Deng to the Wizards for the No. 3 pick in the 2013 draft and Emeka Okafor's expiring contract.

Bulls general manager Gar Forman has maintained that Deng is still a core player of the team.

"We value Luol, as you all know," Forman said on June 28. "You've heard [Bulls coach] Tom [Thibodeau] talk about it during the season, and us talk about it for years. Luol's a big piece of what we're doing. He's been a big piece of the success we've had the last couple years. He'll continue to be a big piece of what we're doing moving forward."

Deng, who led the NBA in minutes per game in the regular season (38.7) and postseason (44.8 in five games), missed the last seven games of the playoffs with complications from a spinal tap.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:24 am

Deng and Anthony 2014?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Deng is a good player and knows how to play D. He's versatile. You know how we usually say it around here -- "No Deng, no deal". :mhihi:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:20 pm

karacha wrote:Deng is a good player and knows how to play D. He's versatile. You know how we usually say it around here -- "No Deng, no deal". :mhihi:

ahhh yes, its been a while since thats been said
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 23s
Y! Sources (w/ @SpearsNBAYahoo): Indiana finalizing a 5-year, $90 million-plus max extension with Paul George. http://yhoo.it/1dCdSX5
Expand
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:01 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Y! Sources (w/ @SpearsNBAYahoo): Indiana finalizing a 5-year, $90 million-plus max extension with Paul George. http://yhoo.it/1dCdSX5
Expand

therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kit on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:55 am

He is great but no super star.
Kit

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:35 am

Harden isn't yet.

Agreed.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:27 am

Harden not a Top 10 player? that's a joke. A couple more years of production at his current level and people won't doubt it anymore.

A healthy and motivated Howard is by far #1 at the defensive end; no one else even comes close at that end of the floor. That alone makes him Top 10 in terms of his influence on games. Throw in adequate offensive production and he is Top 3 (with Lebron and KD). Not healthy? Then it's a different story...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:45 am

jlkr wrote:Harden not a Top 10 player? that's a joke. A couple more years of production at his current level and people won't doubt it anymore.

A healthy and motivated Howard is by far #1 at the defensive end; no one else even comes close at that end of the floor. That alone makes him Top 10 in terms of his influence on games. Throw in adequate offensive production and he is Top 3 (with Lebron and KD). Not healthy? Then it's a different story...

Chris Paul, Paul George, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Tony Parker, Derrick Rose, Kyrie Irving, Dwight Howard, Dwayne Wade, Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony off the top of my head rank higher than him (when healthy of course). There's probably a couple I missed.

Steph Curry and Chris Bosh are in the same place as Harden. On the door step of the top, not the top yet. Let him keep putting up those officiating-approved numbers and we can talk.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:12 am

therealdeal wrote:
jlkr wrote:Harden not a Top 10 player? that's a joke. A couple more years of production at his current level and people won't doubt it anymore.

Chris Paul, Paul George, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Tony Parker, Derrick Rose, Kyrie Irving, Dwight Howard, Dwayne Wade, Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony off the top of my head rank higher than him (when healthy of course). There's probably a couple I missed.

Steph Curry and Chris Bosh are in the same place as Harden. On the door step of the top, not the top yet. Let him keep putting up those officiating-approved numbers and we can talk.

No. Not Chris Bosh. I'd say Marc Gasol is closer to being better than Harden than Bosh...and for one season I'd take Dirk over Harden at this point, Westbrook is more impactful as well. But I totally agree with Dwight being top 10. He' top 5 if he's even 95% of the player he was pre-injury. I think Laker fans want to believe we got spurned by someone average. Like when you get dumped by a girl, "Pft, she wasn't that hot. I can find a girl better than her." When in reality she looked like Natalie Portman. Dwight couldn't have been our leader. We needed someone else to take that position on the team. But losing him is a MASSIVE blow to this franchise.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:33 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

No. Not Chris Bosh. I'd say Marc Gasol is closer to being better than Harden than Bosh...and for one season I'd take Dirk over Harden at this point, Westbrook is more impactful as well. But I totally agree with Dwight being top 10. He' top 5 if he's even 95% of the player he was pre-injury. I think Laker fans want to believe we got spurned by someone average. Like when you get dumped by a girl, "Pft, she wasn't that hot. I can find a girl better than her." When in reality she looked like Natalie Portman. Dwight couldn't have been our leader. We needed someone else to take that position on the team. But losing him is a MASSIVE blow to this franchise.

Marc Gasol is a good name, I was just working off the top of my head. I thought about Dirk too and I probably would take him for a season as well (both guys being healthy).

I think losing Dwight was big, but the more I read it the more I see that Dwight wasn't going to stay here anyway and having him around might have been too volatile for us anyway. It's like losing Natalie Portman, but it turns out Natalie was a terrible fit for you. Like a manlier version of 500 Days of Summer.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:21 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Expand

never saw why anyone thought this guy was a possibility.....any player on a rookie contract that pans out never leave their team with the 1st extension, so that goes for Lilliard and Irvin pipe dream too.
khmrP

Postby jlkr on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:21 am

khmrP wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Expand

never saw why anyone thought this guy was a possibility.....any player on a rookie contract that pans out never leave their team with the 1st extension, so that goes for Lilliard and Irvin pipe dream too.

That was the intention of the CBA: make it easier for teams to retain their rookie stars.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:30 am

khmrP wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Expand

There are still people around here that think it can happen. Don't kill their dreams.
Doc Brown

Postby jlkr on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:49 am

therealdeal wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Marc Gasol is a good name, I was just working off the top of my head. I thought about Dirk too and I probably would take him for a season as well (both guys being healthy).

I think losing Dwight was big, but the more I read it the more I see that Dwight wasn't going to stay here anyway and having him around might have been too volatile for us anyway. It's like losing Natalie Portman, but it turns out Natalie was a terrible fit for you. Like a manlier version of 500 Days of Summer.

Not sure why people keep bagging on Harden. Let me see:
5th overall in scoring and scoring per 48 minutes, 4th in total points. 2nd behind Bryant for shooting guards.

5.8 assists per game:
(1), among shooting guards, only Bryant had a higher average;
(2), among the top 10 scorers, only James, Bryant, Westbrook and Curry had higher assist averages.

4.9 rebounds per game: among shooting guards, only Bryant, Iguodala and JR Smith had higher rebound averages and only of those, only Bryant scored more.

Even Hollinger thinks Harden isn't so bad, has him 11th in PER.

Okay, it's only one year of production like that, I get it. But the production was nearly at Kobe's level and both played for mediocre teams. If we always take for granted that Kobe is top 10, then Harden belongs in that conversation too.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Center Court on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:39 pm

jlkr wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Not sure why people keep bagging on Harden. Let me see:
5th overall in scoring and scoring per 48 minutes, 4th in total points. 2nd behind Bryant for shooting guards.

5.8 assists per game:
(1), among shooting guards, only Bryant had a higher average;
(2), among the top 10 scorers, only James, Bryant, Westbrook and Curry had higher assist averages.

4.9 rebounds per game: among shooting guards, only Bryant, Iguodala and JR Smith had higher rebound averages and only of those, only Bryant scored more.

Even Hollinger thinks Harden isn't so bad, has him 11th in PER.

Okay, it's only one year of production like that, I get it. But the production was nearly at Kobe's level and both played for mediocre teams. If we always take for granted that Kobe is top 10, then Harden belongs in that conversation too.

With it. I think people knock Harden down on the top 10 list because of personal reasoning: the Kobe trash talk game, the incident with Ron, being with OKC, and then getting Dwight to Houston. I think among many LAL fans, it's resentment. Not all and I'm not accusing anyone of anything but just my gut.

Anyway, it's impossible to make a perfect top 10. Guys do different things and I guess I see where Harden is still behind quite a few, but I think he's on that cusp where he's good enough to be in it or just miss it on anyone's list.

To me the top 6 are a lock. After that, anyone from the list can have a point made for them. I've always felt a top 5 list is more factual based then the rest is opinion.

Bron
Kobe
KD
Rose
Dwight
CP3

Curry
Melo
Wade
Parker
Harden
Westbrook