Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Barnstable on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:58 pm

I always liked Faried.

I'd love to have him on the team, but what are we supposed to be giving up?

I can't think of a single scenario that makes sense for both teams
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:20 pm

Suns already trying to give Bledsoe an extension.. They're not going to want to pay 2 PG's that type of money.. Prime time to swoop in & steal Dragic for expiring contracts & possibly a retiring Nash.
LakersN4

Postby CarFlagChris on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:05 pm

ABomb was spectacular. However, Bynum's health and immaturity (on and off the Court) call into question whether the Lakers should have maxed him out-again.

Trading for D12 appeared to be a wonderful choice, as did for Steve Nash, but neither seems to have worked out. I love the Lakers for pulling off what initially appeared to be another rabbit out of the hat, just like the trade for Gasol.

I didn't like trading Gasol for CP3, going from big to small.

No easy answers.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby CarFlagChris on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:09 pm

LakersN4 wrote:
Center Court wrote:I'm assuming the Mitch is trying to pawn off Pau (who gives Denver a legit post player) for a package of younger players who are tied up for a few years on smaller deals (which won't interfere with too much cap space)

If Pau is involved we need more than Faried.. We need a starting C that can atleast split minutes with Kaman.. There's a ton of salary to make up in a Pau/Faried swap.. Will we take McGee & the 3 years 33M remaining on his deal? It'd be interesting swapping Pau for all of that athleticism Faried/McGee bring.. Our defense would certainly be much improved.. I'm sure D'antoni would be drooling in Jim's ear over Gallo.. Who knows.. Maybe with the additions of Nate & Foye Lawson is expendable.

I don't like getting a lot of good players instead of 1 great player.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:51 am

Barnstable wrote:I always liked Faried.

The closest we come is a trade centered around Hill. Hill is a more traditional big, something they're looking for as opposed to Faried. We don't need traditional bigs really, so Faried would fit here more than Hill does while still providing most of the same things Hill did.

But it's not really something Denver couldn't top anywhere else.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:02 am

Seeing as how the Nuggets don't really have a "need" right now, besides needing a star to lead that solid team of role players, I bet it would be a 3 team deal with the Nuggets getting picks and some cap relief and Pau going to a 3rd team.

The Nuggets are going to have to decide if they want want to be a really solid regular season team with the role players they have or shedding some of those players to get a star player that can lead them in the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind getting Faried, but I read that he wants a big deal when this deal is up. I'd hesitate on giving him anything more than 7-8 million, unless he expands his game.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:05 am

Royce White was cut, thoughts? I say no :man10:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby MusixFinest on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:36 am

therealdeal wrote:

The closest we come is a trade centered around Hill. Hill is a more traditional big, something they're looking for as opposed to Faried. We don't need traditional bigs really, so Faried would fit here more than Hill does while still providing most of the same things Hill did.

I don't recall Faried shooting any better than Hill can... I remember him being more of a hustle/ORBD beast, when we met them in the Playoffs.
MusixFinest

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:53 am

MusixFinest wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I don't recall Faried shooting any better than Hill can... I remember him being more of a hustle/ORBD beast, when we met them in the Playoffs.

Eh he needs to shoot here, but the open style of basketball makes him effective anyway. Remember when D'Antoni didn't want to play Hill because he couldn't shoot but he earned his way into the rotation by working hard?

Faried would do the same thing, but on an increased scale.

Anyway, the Nuggets are looking for far, far, far more than Jordan Hill so it's a moot point. Last rumor I read had them offering Faried for Oladipo.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:58 am

Except Faried would get eaten up by all power forwards 6/8 and taller (like he did last year).

He's a great help defender, but he's too small to guard PF's.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:08 am

lakerfan2 wrote:Except Faried would get eaten up by all power forwards 6/8 and taller (like he did last year).

He's a great help defender, but he's too small to guard PF's.

We're toying with Wesley Johnson at the 4, how is that better?

I'm honestly shocked this is getting this much opposition. :man10:

Faried is better than almost any player on our roster RIGHT NOW not counting Kobe. He might not be better than Kobe or Gasol but for sure the rest of the team is worse than Faried. The Nuggets are looking for a nice big piece for him like Oladipo.

And we're talking about not trading Jordan Hill? :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:06 am

Never said it was better, but like I said before, I like Jordan Hill being able to defend the 4/5 rather than Faried can.

I'm sure Wes playing at the 4 was (hopefully) only an experiment with having Kaman out, but the 4/5 rotation SHOULD be

Pau/Kaman/Hill/Williams

I think Faried is a talented player, but I think his cons as being an undersized PF outweigh his freak athleticism and constant motor.

I'm just thinking like Shaw I guess.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby jlkr on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:27 am

Faried is very athletic with great hustle and instincts. But he's undersized for PF, his one-on-one defense suffers for that and his midrange offensive game is mostly nonexistent in the half court. If he could shoot, he'd be playing SF as he's athletic enough with his strength to defend those guys. My question would be, can he guard Lebron or Melo? Cuz that's what I'd be thinking for him. I can't see a trade that works out for them as well as for the Lakers. As another poster says, would have to be a 3 team deal.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:30 am

The reason Shaw can think that way is because of the talented team he has. We have no such luxury.

If there was a way to get a player as talented as Faried, I would hope the Lakers do it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nduri on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:00 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:Royce White was cut, thoughts? I say no :man10:

I say yes, as long as we are able to sedate him for road trips. j/k but I do believe that we are one of the few teams with the resources to work with him. He is very talented and I think he's willing to work in the right situation.
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby Magic Skywalker on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:06 pm

While I do respect people having some kind of mental illness, I don't respect crybabies and people who uses their problems as an excuse absolutely every time.

Royce White behaves worse than Dwight Howard and hasn't even played one NBA game. Don't want him anywhere near the Lakers (wait, actually, I wouldn't mind him on the Clippers, which would be physically near).

Also, you know a player is no good when he is cut by the Philadelphia 76ers 2013-2014.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:59 pm

They don't really have much in common besides their elite rebounding, but Faried reminds me of LO.. He's an undersized PF that has a very unique skillset that no other player at his position has.. I love Jordan Hill but don't think he can remain healthy playing the MPG he would need to in order to meet that LO level. If we can pull off that swap & give them Meeks/Blake expiring for a contract they don't want, that'd be a great win now move & a win for the future.. It only makes sense for the Nuggets if they feel re-signing Faried will hamper their long term plans. I think our definition of long term is much shorter than teams like Denver, & we'd be more willing to take that risk. With all the space we're going to have, we could afford to extend Faried, bring in another max player next season & bring back Kobe atleast & possibly Pau, even though they're both playing hardball on taking a paycut now.

Considering Denver is loaded at PG with Lawson/Miller/Nate/Foye, I'll assume they take Meeks instead of Blake. I have no idea what contract they'd want to get rid of, Miller is probably the closest thing to a bad contract they have, but he'd be a better backup SG than Meeks so this deal still doesn't make sense for them. To solve the problem of also having to cut players, I'm going to pretend they want Harris thrown in..just for the sake of posting a hypothetical depth chart:
Landry cut..

Nash/Farmar/Miller
Kobe/Henry/Blake
Young/Johnson/(Henry)
Faried/(Pau)/Williams/(Johnson)
Pau/Kaman/Sacre

That team is so deep it's unreal.. Farmar would play alot more minutes than Nash & that will be great for this uptempo roster.. We've been seeing more & more that uptempo teams with undersized PF's have been breaking the stereotype of "not winning when the pace slows down in the playoffs". Last year we saw the majority of the teams that made it out of the first round have an uptempo lineup & an undersized 4.. Miami - Lebron, SA - Leonard, OKC - Durant, Ind - Paul George/David West is undersized, GS - Barnes had his breakout averaging 16 PPG by increasing his minutes at the 4 in the playoffs.. Faried isn't going to score like alot of those undersized 4's but his unique skillset is going to give them problems.. I'd love to see what D'antoni could do with that roster. I think we'd have a legit shot at the finals this season barring injuries.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:54 pm

LO wasn't an undersized four. He was just a skinny four. He had the height and the length of a four for sure.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:25 pm

It looks like Phoenix Suns will try to trade Goran Dragic....
What do you guys think, can he replace Nash and what can we offer?
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Center Court on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:It looks like Phoenix Suns will try to trade Goran Dragic....
What do you guys think, can he replace Nash and what can we offer?

just give them Nash back and get's get our picks back along with Dragic
Center Court

Postby Weezy on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:42 pm

I like Nash and how hard he's worked and played for us, but if we could have Dragic over him I'd do it in a second.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Weezy wrote:I like Nash and how hard he's worked and played for us, but if we could have Dragic over him I'd do it in a second.

We could have had him years ago... I doubt there's anything we could do now though. We don't have the picks they want.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:43 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:I like Nash and how hard he's worked and played for us, but if we could have Dragic over him I'd do it in a second.

We could have had him years ago... I doubt there's anything we could do now though. We don't have the picks they want.

No but we could take on every single contract that isn't in their future plans if we send Pau & Nash. Pau possibly to a 3rd team that sends a couple young players Phx covets + a 1st.. Hopefully we come away with Dragic & Gortat(who they aren't going to pay to keep next summer)
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:47 pm

Gortat got traded to Washington.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:16 pm

If the Shannon Brown becomes a free agent...which all signs point to that he is...the Lakers should bring him back. Not just for old times sake but we could use him. Nash is prob gonna be missing time here and there throughout the season it seems and Kobe missing time as well as playing more SF it would seem that bringing him back would be smart. Farmar and Blake should be playing more PG anyways, Meeks and Henry are good SG's but I'd rather play Brown more than Meeks and have a running athletic 2nd unit that can finish fast breaks and layups/dunks.

I really think bringing Brown back would be a smart cheap move and wed have another great youngish athletic player, which the crowd loves and can really impact the game on both ends. Kobe obv loves him and a Farmar Brown Young lineup would be pretty fun and athletic.
Ariza3

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion