Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:53 am

There's no question that Shannon is a better player for this team than Meeks.. The real question is how do we open up the roster spot? Obviously they want to keep Harris he made the 15.. I'd be willing to bet that if we're really interested in bringing Shannon back, they're working on a way to package Meeks expiring contract with something attractive enough that we don't have to cut a player..

I know it's highly unlikely but if Denver is really shopping Faried hard & want to replace his motor without a big contract, J.Hill is about as good as it gets.. Just to sweeten the pot a bit more, we also give them Blake for Miller's contract which is not only 1M higher but also 1 year longer. Hill/Meeks/Blake/2nd for Faried/Miller.. Denver gets back nothing but expiring contracts & doesn't have to give Faried his big contract he wants..

After that we sign Shannon..

I absolutely love the roster that leaves us with.. Now not only can we go uptempo, we can do it without getting killed on the boards.. Having a guy like Faried that rebounds at a high rate & can play more minutes than Hill that fits with the uptempo style is extremely valuable. He's like Shawn Marion in many ways, his motor, rebounding, quickness, athleticism, defense.. He doesn't have a jumper like Marion did but that's really the only knock on him when it comes to fit with this team.. Him being too small to play C & getting heavy minutes will force D'antoni to keep Pau & Kaman at C fulltime & that's going to make us a better team. Then you have Williams backing him up so there's always a solid defender in our frontcourt.. I also think this would force D'antoni to give Wes more minutes at SF, play Young & even Henry at SG until Kobe returns.. All of this should help us on both sides of the ball theoretically.. I'm going to assume they keep Young at starting SF because they want him to get comfortable in the position he'll play primarily when Kobe returns, but I really wouldn't mind seeing how we do with Henry in the starting lineup over Shannon. If Shannon comes in & plays well he can earn the spot but Henry has earned a shot in my opinion. Nash/Shannon/Young is pretty terrible defensively.. I like Henry in with Young so he can guard bigger SF's & let Swaggy P focus on what he does best, scoring.. Shannon would be better suited coming in when Farmar is in the game & he'll be guarding reserves from the other teams on alot of occasions.

MDA's rotation:

Nash/Farmar/Miller
Henry/Shannon/Young/Miller
Young/Johnson/Henry/Harris
Faried/Williams/Johnson/Gasol
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre

That's an incredibly deep team to keep us in the hunt until Kobe returns.. We could run teams out of the gym while still playing defense & rebounding.. I hope this is how it plays out.
LakersN4

Postby LooN3y on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:59 am

^ too many players, whos gonna get the boot?

we dont need shannon,

i dont know why everyone is so infatuated with the idea of him joining the team when we have a much better player in henry.

i never liked shannons game, his dunks were dope, but besides the dunks and him actually making 3's he was useless. i dont want him to revive his kobe like shot selection.

im not trying to defend meeks for his lack of productions ( he does play hard) but id take meeks camping and his shot selection any day than have browns antics.

righ tnow its going good, we dont need to make any adjustments till we play a few more games. having meeks just camp out at the 3pt line is better than having brown trying to do some superstar type play.

call me a fool, but i think this team will be able to handle their business

we have a great bench, our starting line up is a bet meh, but itll hopefully get better when jelly bean comesback.
LooN3y

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:52 pm

LooN3y wrote:^ too many players, whos gonna get the boot?

we dont need shannon,

i dont know why everyone is so infatuated with the idea of him joining the team when we have a much better player in henry.

i never liked shannons game, his dunks were dope, but besides the dunks and him actually making 3's he was useless. i dont want him to revive his kobe like shot selection.

im not trying to defend meeks for his lack of productions ( he does play hard) but id take meeks camping and his shot selection any day than have browns antics.

righ tnow its going good, we dont need to make any adjustments till we play a few more games. having meeks just camp out at the 3pt line is better than having brown trying to do some superstar type play.

call me a fool, but i think this team will be able to handle their business

we have a great bench, our starting line up is a bet meh, but itll hopefully get better when jelly bean comesback.

3 for 2 trade leaves us with 14, open spot goes to Shannon.. Noone gets the boot.
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:11 am

Is Rudy Gay on the trade block?

By Joe Kaiser | ESPN.com

Toronto was criticized by virtually every number-crunching basketball analyst last season when it traded away the expiring contract of Jose Calderon and former first-rounder Ed Davis for one of the game's highest paid players in Rudy Gay whose 15.66 PER last season was barely above league-average.

Gay is set to earn $17.89 million this season and has a $19.32 million player option for next season that he could very well accept as well, which is a poor fit on a Raptors team that is teetering on "trying" and "tanking" this season -- that could all depend on how the month of November goes.

Bruce Arthur mentioned in Monday's National Post that sources indicate new Raptors GM Masai Ujiri, the NBA's Executive of the Year in Denver last season, has had conversations about moving Gay. That's of little surprise, really.

The better question might be whether he can trade Gay, given the amount of salary involved. To that end, we can only say this: never say never. Nobody expected Toronto to be able to deal away Andrea Bargnani as easily as it did, and Ujiri managed to do that.

As for possible fits, Milwaukee could be one. The Bucks have enough pieces to pull off such a deal with the expiring contracts of Caron Butler, Luke Ridnour and Ekpe Udoh. History shows that owner Herb Kohl always opts for making a run at the playoffs over a complete rebuild, and is one way the Bucks could attempt to do so while also bridging the gap to their small forward of the future -- Giannis Antetokounmpo.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:14 am

Pau/Nash for Gay/Valenciunas/Johnson/Ross.

Nash desperately wants to retire as a Canadian!

Farmar/Blake
Young/Ross
Gay/Henry
Williams/Johnson/Johnson
Kaman/Sacre

!!!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:30 am

Hmmm...this might have some weight to it. We desperately need a young, athletic Small Forward that could create for himself & others. Although, not ideal, for me, he'd be a good fit with our core of younger players. In addition, we'd get younger getting rid of Gasol and Nash; I'm up for it...

As a matter of fact, looking at their players and contracts, I like Lowry, Fields, Johnson, and Augustin; add any of these players around Gay, and I'm definitely in; most notably, Lowry who's another PG that we can utilize; Johnson's an athletic big, Fields is serviceable, and so is Augustin.

hahahah....Just realized that Gay would destroy our flexbility next year; well, there goes that idea...
Last edited by dwighthowardsdad on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:39 am

Not sure what it is, but I've never been excited by a Pau for Gay trade. Rudy just doesn't grab me for the Lakers. And I don't like his contract at all. He's a guy who needs the ball a lot, but he's not a superstar kind of player, just a good player. His contract is insane for what he brings. More insane to me than Pau's current contract! No thanks.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:41 am

I was kidding. :man10:

I doubt the Lakers want Rudy Gay right now. It's really not in their style to go get a complementary player before getting the foundation set.

The more I think about it, the more I'm kind of viewing them as what the Guggenheim group is trying to do with the Dodgers. When they came in, the Dodgers were a mess from top to bottom. So they went out and got some exciting players on a huge payroll to garner excitement, while slowly building the team up from inside.

Right now they're trying to give us something exciting with the young guys while finding a couple diamonds in the rough. Then this summer they're going to try to get some REALLY exciting pieces so that we can have something to watch. Then they'll bide their time until they start getting more of their 1st rounders back.

In order to do that, I think we're thinking bigger than Rudy Gay. Getting him is a lateral move now and a lateral move in the future. I was ALL for Gay last season, but this season without Kobe being 100% and trading away Gasol to get him... No. The situation isn't right for it. If we already had a system set up with Kobe and with another big presence then I think Gay makes a GREAT fit as a 3rd best player on your team.

But trading for him now would make him the best player on our roster. :man10: Yikes.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:51 am

^^ Whew! Glad you were kidding realdeal, my sarcasm radar must not be on right now. I knew that a year or so ago you were in favor of that trade, but I've never felt it was a good return for Pau. I do think you're right about the org's current mindset. And who knows, if we don't make the playoffs maybe we'll get a decent draft pick to work with as well.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:01 am

Lakerjones wrote:^^ Whew! Glad you were kidding realdeal, my sarcasm radar must not be on right now. I knew that a year or so ago you were in favor of that trade, but I've never felt it was a good return for Pau. I do think you're right about the org's current mindset. And who knows, if we don't make the playoffs maybe we'll get a decent draft pick to work with as well.

Well last season we would have had Kobe to go along with him so we'd have kind of a dual threat from distance. Not to mention, I thought Howard would still be around so it'd clear the middle for him as well. Now? It just doesn't make much sense.

This season is really and truly a crap shoot. The Lakers don't know if they'll be good, they don't know if they'll be bad... They're just going with the flow. If the team stinks that's alright as long as they're exciting. If they do well, even better! Either we end up with a high draft pick or we don't, but the real prize this summer will come from free agency.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:56 pm

You know I was thinking about this roster today with Kobe; thinking about who was available next year and came up with some scenarios; maybe you guys can poke in my theory about this rotation? We need a younger superstar, a top 10 SF, a upgrade at PG, and a center that can defend, rebound, ala Tyson Chandler in NY...

This is what I would do next year...I'd go after Carmelo, Luol Deng, and Kyle Lowry. My rotation would go something like this;

Lowry/Farmar
Kobe/Young
Deng/Henry
Carmelo/Hill
Pau?/Kaman

I put a question mark on Pau; as I mentioned the primary responsibilities of any big on our team should be defend, rebound, finish around the rim; that's it. You're younger, more athletic, added another 10 player and top 10 SF, and your PG rotation got better, younger, and more athletic. That's kind of what I'm looking at moving forward.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:23 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:You know I was thinking about this roster today with Kobe; thinking about who was available next year and came up with some scenarios; maybe you guys can poke in my theory about this rotation? We need a younger superstar, a top 10 SF, a upgrade at PG, and a center that can defend, rebound, ala Tyson Chandler in NY...

This is what I would do next year...I'd go after Carmelo, Luol Deng, and Kyle Lowry. My rotation would go something like this;

Lowry/Farmar
Kobe/Young
Deng/Henry
Carmelo/Hill
Pau?/Kaman

I put a question mark on Pau; as I mentioned the primary responsibilities of any big on our team should be defend, rebound, finish around the rim; that's it. You're younger, more athletic, added another 10 player and top 10 SF, and your PG rotation got better, younger, and more athletic. That's kind of what I'm looking at moving forward.

I'm not saying we do it for right now, but I was also thinking the same thing tonight watching the Bulls-Knicks game that it would be cool if we got both Deng and Melo. Deng is a great defensive player and Melo of course can help Kobe not have to carry the scoring load all the time
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Pig Miller on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:26 pm

^so you want us to get 2 guys in FA that play the same position while probably having to pay 25M+ for the two of them?
Pig Miller

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:00 pm

Pig Miller wrote:^so you want us to get 2 guys in FA that play the same position while probably having to pay 25M+ for the two of them?

First off, we won't have to pay that much for BOTH of them and secondly MDA is our coach and he likes that stretch 4 option/flexibility. There is a reason why I said in my post that I thought about how that might look. I don't know if I would do it for sure. A lot of season THIS YEAR to play before we get to next off-season
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Report: Toronto Raptors prepared to trade ‘anyone but [Jonas] Valanciunas’
NBA
BY BRIAN KOTLOFF
(Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
The Raptors are reportedly willing to trade veterans Kyle Lowry, Rudy Gay and DeMar DeRozan. (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
The Toronto Raptors and new general manager Masai Ujiri are already preparing to make a splash on the trade market, according to ESPN.com’s Marc Stein.

The front office entered training camp before the 2013-14 season with an open mind about the players on its roster, but there is now a “strong sense” that the Raptors are willing to trade “anyone but [Jonas] Valanciunas,” Stein reports.

Valanciunas, a 22-year-old center who averaged 8.9 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.3 blocks as a rookie last season, was the fifth overall pick in the 2011 draft.

While Toronto has considered signing veteran forward Rudy Gay to an extension, Ujiri and company are now surveying the league to determine his trade value, along with the values of point guard Kyle Lowry and shooting guard DeMar DeRozan.

DeRozan received a four-year, $40-million contract extension from ex-GM Bryan Colangelo last November, Lowry will be an unrestricted free agent at season’s end, and Gay has a player option for 2014-15.

From the report:

Gay, meanwhile, rates as one of the league’s more fascinating cases after Toronto’s previous regime gambled on the notion that the former Memphis Grizzlies max signee could be a co-cornerstone with Valanciunas. How tradable, really, is Gay when he’s making nearly $18 million this season? The sense out there is that the Raps, who only just got him in January, are determined to find out.
Rival teams are still formulating their projections on what Gay will do at season’s end, when he has the option to become a free agent or play out the final season of his last Memphis contract at a heady $19.3 million. You hesitate to simply assume that Gay, even at his relatively young age, will opt for free agency, because the likelihood is that the annual salary in his next deal won’t be nearly that high.
The Raptors fell to 1-1 after a loss to the Atlanta Hawks on Friday night. They finished 34-48 last season, tied for ninth place in the Eastern Conference, and haven’t made the playoffs since 2007-08.

Wave that wand Mitch.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:18 am

^^^^ Nash for Lowry and Novak :man10:

Btw , I know he's making more money than he would on a contender but boy Ashton is wasting his time with the Chawks
wcsoldier81

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:13 pm

^ I think we'd have to give up Pau's expiring for Rudy to get them to take on Nash for Lowry + filler.. Not sure if they'd want to keep Pau to let him spend a season helping Val with his post game or send him to a contender.. If we can get a solid big thrown in I like it.. But I don't see how that happens.. They're weaker at PF than we are.. Amir isn't a bad player but I don't want him replacing Pau.. Our frontcourt would be extremely weak.. Maybe they ship Derozan or Ross to a 3rd team & get us a solid big. I'd rather ship Rudy to the 3rd team but there's probably not many takers for his 20M he's sure to opt in to next season.
Last edited by LakersN4 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:22 pm

I don't know what their thoughts are on Derozan. Is he still part of their future plans?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:30 pm

No Rudy please. Gets paid like a superstar and doesn't perform like one. Doesn't stay healthy, and although he's athletic, there's younger 3's we can focus on (Xavier).

Of course, if we could turn Nash into Rudy that's one thing. But they're going to want talent back, and at this point I'd rather have the combo of Hill, Farmar, Henry, & Johnson than Rudy Gay.
Chillbongo

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Chillbongo wrote:No Rudy please. Gets paid like a superstar and doesn't perform like one. Doesn't stay healthy, and although he's athletic, there's younger 3's we can focus on (Xavier).

Of course, if we could turn Nash into Rudy that's one thing. But they're going to want talent back, and at this point I'd rather have the combo of Hill, Farmar, Henry, & Johnson than Rudy Gay.
It's not the ideal trade but Rudy only has 1 year left on that huge deal & is a better player today than Pau is.. Same goes for Lowry/Nash.. We can't have 2 of our top 3 players be injury prone old guys..

I don't know why you say you'd rather have the combo of Hill, Henry & Johnson, when of those 3 only Hill is eligible to be traded. It'd be nearly impossible to make the numbers work without including Pau.. So I think that takes Hill off the table.. If you take Lowry out of the deal it's not nearly as appealing for us.. Pau would have to be included..

We'd still have the space to add another star player in 2014 if Lebron or Melo decide they want to join Kobe, because we're unloading the 9M Nash would make next season.. If he doesn't fit in worst case we once again have a 20M expiring to flip at the deadline next year or we let him expire & go after Love/LMA/Rondo.. Lowry + Rudy give us a better chance to win this season than Nash & Pau.. Lowry is expiring so if we need the space for a better player it's there, or we can bring him back.. But we have to get a solid big that isn't injury prone in the deal.. Having Kaman & Hill as our 2 best bigs is a disaster waiting to happen.. Both guys are likely to miss plenty of games. Rudy vs. Pau I don't think there will be much difference in how good we are.. But Lowry's defense at PG would be huge for us & that's why I would make the deal.
LakersN4

Postby revgen on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:12 pm

I just don't see Rudy as somebody who is going to help us build a championship team for the future. He's 27 years old. Unless we're ready to win now (we aren't), pursuing him wouldn't make any sense.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby ShowTime_IR on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:43 pm

After tonights game i want Kyle Korver on the team next season. he's one hell of a championship piece.
ShowTime_IR

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:11 pm

^ pretty sure we offered him the mini mle before we offered it to Kaveman.. He went to ATL for more $. I remember reading that we were interested in him.
LakersN4

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:46 pm

What I meant was, I'd take a solid 4 guys who are earning their future NBA paychecks versus an underwhelming player with a big name. I don't see Rudy taking this team any further than our current roster (if it were Rudy for Pau straight up).

At least with Hill, Henry, Farmar, & Johnson you have young, hungry guys, and at least two of them can only get better. If there's one thing I learned, big names don't equal big games.

The Lakers teams of Championship pedigree have always possessed role players and a couple of star players to form the perfect storm. I see Rudy filling neither of those roles and being a waste of time.
Chillbongo

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:25 pm

2. This will be Luol Deng's last season in Chicago.

Only a championship for the Bulls this season can potentially lead to a management rethink that invalidates this one. Otherwise? There are just too many raw feelings at hand after Chicago refused to seriously negotiate with Deng on an extension this past offseason despite his standing as one of Tom Thibodeau's all-time favorites. Deng will be a free agent in July and rest assured, at 28, he's going to attract significant interest. We're talking about a pro's pro, so you won't see any dismay seep into his game, but the overwhelming likelihood is that Deng and the Bulls -- after years and years of trade speculation that never begat an actual trade -- will finally be going their separate ways in July. Veteran Bulls watchers don't see any way that the organization plans to pay Deng as well as the blossoming Jimmy Butler.

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post ... or-2013-14

This is a guy we need to go after next year, IMO. He'll probably want to be paid, but I sure hope we can land him...a top 10 SF who plays good defense, has an offensive game, and would definitely be a huge help. He can lockup the SF position for the next 3-4 years for us...
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion