Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:16 am

Deng? >>> Deal! But yeah he's going to want to get paid.
LTLakerFan

Postby M2K on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:04 am

This season is a wash... no way this team does anything dramatic other than answering where in the lottery they will finish. In this type of season, let the truth reign supreme... Mike D'Antoni was a f'n ridiculous hire... as was Rudy T and Mike Brown... all three hirings having Jim Buss's stench on them.

Mike D'Antoni needs to go... instead of sticking around to win barely enough games to put us in at the tail end of the lottery picks. Might as well get a no-name coach to ride out the season, pile up the losses with the scrubs we have on this team, and then next season...

Hire a real coach, draft a star player, bring Kobe back and sign two All Star free agents... then we can fill out the roster with the best players available for signing.

This is the ONLY rational, reasonable plan if the FO is truly interested in competing within the next few years.
M2K

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:13 am

Tanking is the last
option...we have capspace to get better.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby themasterphil on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:41 am

Laker fans, I want to ask what do you think about our next coach . Pringles will be fired after this season for sure, there is no point to make good strong team next season and have MDA in. He can have some fun until this season ends but he is done. So who do you have in mind for our coach. I was thinking about Byron Scott. I think its time to start thinking about the coach bc he is big part of every good team.What do you think??
themasterphil

Postby XXIV on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:07 am

themasterphil wrote:Laker fans, I want to ask what do you think about our next coach . Pringles will be fired after this season for sure, there is no point to make good strong team next season and have MDA in. He can have some fun until this season ends but he is done. So who do you have in mind for our coach. I was thinking about Byron Scott. I think its time to start thinking about the coach bc he is big part of every good team.What do you think??

Byron Scott is one of the names being thrown around here, but we won't really have an idea until we see who's available at the end of the season. Who knows, maybe if we strike out in FA we end up keeping MDA for another year.
XXIV

Postby khmrP on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:18 am

XXIV wrote:
themasterphil wrote:Laker fans, I want to ask what do you think about our next coach . Pringles will be fired after this season for sure, there is no point to make good strong team next season and have MDA in. He can have some fun until this season ends but he is done. So who do you have in mind for our coach. I was thinking about Byron Scott. I think its time to start thinking about the coach bc he is big part of every good team.What do you think??

Byron Scott is one of the names being thrown around here, but we won't really have an idea until we see who's available at the end of the season. Who knows, maybe if we strike out in FA we end up keeping MDA for another year.

Scott's been booted 3x already, players get tired of him quickly.
khmrP

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:43 am

I have no problem with the idea of Byron Scott as head coach. He's solid and I think he could be good with a younger group like we're beginning to see here. Take Nash/Pau/Blake off the team next year due to expiring/retiring, and retain some of these younger guys and the team will have a different look and one that Scott could probably help mold with some defensive intensity and sound offense. Farmar might drive him a little crazy though. If there was some way to turn Pau into a starting caliber PG we'd be in better shape.

Kobe loves Scott, so there's no problem there.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:46 am

khmrP wrote:
XXIV wrote:

Scott's been booted 3x already, players get tired of him quickly.

He tends to really burn out veterans. But if we have a younger squad minus Nash/Pau/Blake, I think he could work well. He and Kobe have similar tough nosed attitudes and hardcore work ethics, plus Scott mentored Kobe. They have always gotten along really well.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:48 am

Deng is a great piece next to Kobe.. I'd rather sign him for 10-12M than Melo for the max, for sure.
LakersN4

Postby karacha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 am

Sign both and play Melo at the 4. :man1:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:02 am

karacha wrote:Sign both and play Melo at the 4. :man1:

Exactly.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:15 am

What if we hired the Van Gundy brothers? Take your pick as who is head coach and who is assistant? Maybe keep Rambis and some of the guys currently and see how it goes.
The Laker Link

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 am

We need to stop living in the past. Say no to Byron Scott. The dude cannot coach more than 2 seasons in the same place without causing a mutiny. I'd love to have one of the Van Gundy brothers. At least they may bring a defensive identity. As for Deng, He's a nice player, but he's not the transcendent player we need to take Kobe's place. I would rather leave our roster empty to give us a better chance in 2015 to secure that guy.

Honestly, part of me is starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better to have Kobe not come back close to where he was so we aren't expected to use 10 million or so of our cap on a 35 year old, which would kill the chance that we could get a nice, younger player like Deng (who isn't super young, but he's at least in his 20s) to fill in around, let's say Love and Rondo.
Savory Griddles

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:23 pm

I wouldn't be opposed to this.. But I think if we can sign Melo we'll do that first in hopes it lures Lebron.. If the Heat don't 3peat the picture changes.. If they 3peat & Lebron is off the table I'd be all for Deng/Melo.. We need a really good defensive anchor to split minutes with Hill at C though.. Asik would be ideal. Gortat is probably the best that will be a free agent. No way we could afford him after Melo & Deng so we'd have to take the MIA approach hoping Hill & signings on the level of Birdman are enough.
LakersN4

Postby themasterphil on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:04 pm

I agree also with Deng and Melo but we also have some other option other than that. I just look at FA next year and if you ask me these our some of the solutions.
PG- Stuckey or Bayless/ Farmar( I would like Stuckey but Bayless would be OK. Lowry is there also but I dont like his game at all)
SG- Kobe ( for lets say 10-15mil) / Young
SF- Deng or Granger/ Henry or Brandon Rush or both
PF- Melo/ AF Aminu or Hansbrought if he deacide to go from the Raptors
C- Hill/ Hawes( I like his game, he is really thought and great hustle guy, also can shoot and make boards)

Its 10 players , just put there some role players and one player from the draft and thats it. Most important Q is about the coach. This doesnt mean anything if we give this team to MDA.
themasterphil

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:09 pm

If we miss out on Deng but want a less than max player at SF, I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring Ariza back for half the price over Granger.. I think Granger is a strong candidate to be the next allstar to have injuries push him out of the league.. Not a gamble we can afford to take. & it really pains me to say that cuz I've been on here posting about how we should trade Pau for Granger or George + filler for a few offseasons now.. If we got PG we'd be looking like geniuses right now but Granger would have really hurt us with all the time he missed.
LakersN4

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 pm

I brought this up last week and really think it would be a formidable group. Maybe even sign Lowry to be our PG, idk...
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:54 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:

I brought this up last week and really think it would be a formidable group. Maybe even sign Lowry to be our PG, idk...

12- Kobe
10- Deng
21- Carmelo

Those are our long term deals. That's 43 million. That'd give us just about 15 million for 2015. I don't know if the FO would be willing to go that route, but I'd be alright with it. Maybe frontload Kobe's deal so that he makes 20 the first year, then down to 8 million? That'd bring it closer to 19 million available...

I don't know. Just some thoughts.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:08 am

Deng has been declining. I don't think he's a 10M type player anymore. 6-8 at most.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:17 am

therealdeal wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:

12- Kobe
10- Deng
21- Carmelo

Those are our long term deals. That's 43 million. That'd give us just about 15 million for 2015. I don't know if the FO would be willing to go that route, but I'd be alright with it. Maybe frontload Kobe's deal so that he makes 20 the first year, then down to 8 million? That'd bring it closer to 19 million available...

I don't know. Just some thoughts.

I think front loading Kobe's deal is definitely something to consider, especially since I don't really like any of the free agents this offseason and like 2015 MUCH better. I like Deng, but for no more than 8 million. I really don't want Melo around here. I'd rather we sign Kobe to 30 million in year one then have his next two years be worth 5 million each. Sign Deng for 8 million. Hopefully get a top 5 draft pick after we flame out hard (Joel Embiid). Then sign Rondo and Love in 2015.

c - Embiid
pf - Love
sf - Deng
sg - Kobe
pg - Rondo

It's a nice mix of veterans and youngsters. All their game compliment each other, and with a little luck in the draft, completely realistic.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:21 am

I don't know about that. Deng's numbers are all fairly consistent over the last 2 seasons with his career averages. He hasn't gotten much worse, he just hasn't gotten any better. I think he gets probably 10 million per year given his play and the market for long wing players who can defend and shoot.

Even so, say it's 4/40 million. The first year he'd make less than 10 million if they gave him the usual 125% increase per season. He'd make closer to 7 million in that first year, a little less I think.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:55 pm

Is Mark Heisler reliable ? He was saying in an article for Sheridan blog his "sources" :man10: told him Lakers don't want Melo .... which would be a good thing .....

Some "talks" around the league believe we are going to throw a max contract at Bledsoe ... Suns can match since he is a RFA
wcsoldier81

Postby kenzo on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:16 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Is Mark Heisler reliable ? He was saying in an article for Sheridan blog his "sources" :man10: told him Lakers don't want Melo .... which would be a good thing .....

Some "talks" around the league believe we are going to throw a max contract at Bledsoe ... Suns can match since he is a RFA

What?!?! They better match it, dear God :freak2:
kenzo

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:01 am

^^^^ only speculations/talks on the internet ... not even a rumor
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:52 am

How desperate are we?

Sheesh.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion