Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:52 am

How desperate are we?

Sheesh.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:30 am

I really don't put a lot of stock into Mark Heisler...Mitch is very patient and keeps everything close to the vest; that said, I think he'll be patient and evaluate where we are by 'deadlines.' The trade deadline and the end of the year when free agency begins and ends...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Savory Griddles on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:04 am

Max deal at Bledsoe? :man10: :man10:

A hot first seven games does not a max contract make.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:28 am

I don't think we're going to max Bledsoe. :man10:

But he's certainly a very good looking young player. He has the ability to change games from both ends of the court. I wouldn't mind if the Lakers went for him... just not for the max.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:30 am

Doc Brown wrote:How desperate are we?

Sheesh.

:bang:
Lakerjones

Postby Center Court on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:42 am

Lakerjones wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:How desperate are we?

Sheesh.

:bang:

Extremely young, athletic, great defender, ability to attack the basket, create his own shot, can play the 2, and seems durable.

When they say max, it's not a LeBron or Melo or Kobe max. It's the Rondo/Lawson/Curry max which is around $14M.

IMO, slightly overpaying but I think it'd give Bron more reason to consider LA (he and EB are tight) which gives more credence to Melo and Bron happening. Not that it will but at lease makes it more plausible.

I've been the guy clamoring for Rondo, who will want the vet max, but I think Bled is a guy who can be a top 5-7 PG in the league. At $10M, no brainer. At $14M, very tough call.

I prefer Rondo. He and Love WILL be great fits next to each other. My only question is what number will Love be when he gets here? 42 is Worthy's.
Center Court

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:52 am

It doesn't matter really. The Suns aren't just going to let him walk, so the discussion is irrelevant to have.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby kenzo on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:56 am

Doc Brown wrote:It doesn't matter really. The Suns aren't just going to let him walk, so the discussion is irrelevant to have.

QFT. "Decent" RFA's are impossible to get.
kenzo

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:44 am

Large grain of salt, it's Amico....

Nash's injury has NBA execs expecting to hear from Lakers
SAM AMICO |
Published: Tuesday, November 12, 2013, 2:10am | 1 Comment
With the news of Steve Nash’s latest setback, Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak is likely to search for help at point guard, several league executives told FOX Sports Ohio.

“It’s not like Mitch to sit and do nothing,” said one. “I’d be really surprised if that’s his course.”

The Lakers revealed Monday that Nash will be sidelined at least two weeks with nerve root irritation in his back.

Nash, 39, is the NBA’s oldest player. He already sat out two of the Lakers’ first eight games, and appeared to labor through most of the others.

Nash is averaging 6.7 points and 4.8 assists -- his lowest numbers in both categories in 14 years.

Since last season, the Lakers have lost Dwight Howard to free agency and Kobe Bryant to injury. Howard departed for the Houston Rockets and Bryant tore his Achilles tendon.

Bryant, 35, underwent surgery in April. No timetable has been set for his return.

League executives who spoke to FOX Sports Ohio wondered if the Lakers, attempting to stay in position for a playoff berth while waiting for Bryant’s return, have the assets to make a move should they explore a trade for a point guard.

Right now, Steve Blake and Jordan Farmar are the only healthy point guards on the roster. Blake has been starting at shooting guard in Bryant’s absence.

Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni could shift Blake back to the point, continue to bring Farmar off the bench and start either Jodie Meeks or Xavier Henry at shooting guard.

The Lakers (3-5) play six games over the next two weeks. But as the Lakers said in their announcement, Nash could miss more time than that.

The Los Angeles Times reported Nash was struggling following a 113-90 home loss Sunday to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

“I hesitate to even talk about it now because it’s probably not a good time,” Nash said. “I’m feeling a little emotional, but it’s hard. I really want to play and I really want to play the way I’m accustomed to playing, and to be so limited is frustrating. And also to not know where a clean-ish bill of health is is a little daunting too.”

League execs said they had not heard from Kupchak as of late Monday, but all expected that to change shortly.

“We have a good idea which players (on the roster) he’ll ask about,” said one GM. “We’re already preparing counter offers.”
Doc Brown

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:43 am

I want Bledsoe :man10: I bleed for Bledsoe :jam2:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:35 am

Chances are slim that Phx won't match any offer we make for Bledsoe.. But I think he does improve our odds of trading for Dragic..
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:18 pm

The Suns have been talking about trading Dragic anyway, but I don't think we have what they want to make that trade. They want more picks and more expirings while moving their long term deals.

The Suns have done a tremendous job of preparing for next season's draft.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Uncle Drew on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Wolves Make Derrick Williams, Alexey Shved Available In Trade Talks

I always liked Derrick Williams, he is undersized PF, very athletic and not bad shooter at all, and he is only 22.
KobeBryant
#vamos #juntos #lakercorazon #vino
Uncle Drew

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:31 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:
Wolves Make Derrick Williams, Alexey Shved Available In Trade Talks

I always liked Derrick Williams, he is undersized PF, very athletic and not bad shooter at all, and he is only 22.

Pau and our 2014 pick for Love and Williams? :man12:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 6m
Mitch Kupchak told me they're not looking to add another point guard at this point
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Frank Dux on Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:03 pm

Big surprise, Asik is asking to be traded. Gasol for Asik?

:man1:
Frank Dux

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:13 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10:
Match Gasol with Howard again in Houston? It'd be a good place for him actually with absolutely no expectations.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:31 am

I would give up Pau for Asik.. We have plenty of players that can score now, & especially when Kobe comes back.. Asik's ability to anchor a defense & rebound would be better for this team than what Pau brings.
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:47 am

Forget how the salary cap works?
Doc Brown

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Forget how the salary cap works?

Obviously I didn't mean a straight up trade.

With the talks of Morey wanting Amir Johnson, maybe we can swoop in as the 3rd team & ship Pau or the pieces we can get for him & Nash to Toronto & come away with Gay & Asik..
LakersN4

Postby Center Court on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:31 pm

LakersN4 wrote:

With the talks of Morey wanting Amir Johnson, maybe we can swoop in as the 3rd team & ship Pau or the pieces we can get for him & Nash to Toronto & come away with Gay & Asik..

we are not killing our cap space for Gay.
Center Court

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:46 pm

Center Court wrote:
LakersN4 wrote:

We're not killing anything.. All that's left on Gay's contract is a 1 year PO.. We're simply delaying our space until 2015 when Love/Rondo etc. are available & it's worth giving a max contract out.. & keeping a competitive team on the floor until then. If Kobe's going to do another Magic impression when he returns & dish out 10 dimes a game due to the injury limiting his ability to score, I'll take Rudy over Pau.
LakersN4

Postby Azndude2190 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Kobe is not going to average 10 assists a game. Chris Paul didn't even average 10 APG last year.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby Center Court on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:26 pm

LakersN4 wrote:
Center Court wrote:
LakersN4 wrote:

We're not killing anything.. All that's left on Gay's contract is a 1 year PO.. We're simply delaying our space until 2015 when Love/Rondo etc. are available & it's worth giving a max contract out.. & keeping a competitive team on the floor until then. If Kobe's going to do another Magic impression when he returns & dish out 10 dimes a game due to the injury limiting his ability to score, I'll take Rudy over Pau.

Well then we would be killing it this season...wouldn't we?

Lakers still are going to go for Lebron and Melo despite the how unlikely it is.
Center Court

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:29 pm

If we had a legit shot at Lebron I'd be with that plan but Melo isn't that much better than Gay.. Especially when you consider we'd only have to pay Gay for 1 season. I'll take 1 year of Rudy & a shot at Love/Rondo over Melo on a 4 year max deal any day of the week.
LakersN4

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion