Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:42 pm

If the Raptors and Bulls fall enough in the standings, wouldn't be surpised to see Wiggins go to Toronto and/or Jabari go to the Bulls.
Chillbongo

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:48 pm

Eric Pincus: The Lakers are considering adding a guard - but they were considering adding a guard when Blake/Nash/Farmar went down
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:51 pm

^That was before we had a set timetable on Nash; and before Kobe went down who was playing PG...Nash is out for the forseeable future if not for the rest of the reason. Kobe's out for 6 weeks, but I think it might be longer; Blake's intial 6 weeks is going to go into the 9 week territory...he's a slow healer. We need another guard, ASAP.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby khmrP on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:02 pm

where's Sasha at? :man10:
khmrP

Postby Frank Dux on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Lakerjones wrote:

Tor - Pau
LAL - Lowry / Deng
Chi - Derozan

or

Tor - Pau
LAL - Amir / Deng
Chi - Derozan[/quote]

Lowry and Deng for Pau? Sign me up.[/quote]

You could kiss those sweet ping pong balls goodbye if we went through with this. As it stands we have an excellent chance at landing a franchise changing player who would be on a rookie contract. Lowry and Deng are nice players, but it's not like they would give us any shot at contending this year, all they would do is add more wins so that we're a mediocre high lotto team, maaaybe 1st round exit, at best... Basically NBA hell. Besides, both of those guys are ours if we really want them in 2014(Free agency). So I would rather play out the season with the gangbuster youth, and nail a top 5 pick, and go from there. Exum, Wiggins, or Parker would be absolutely huge for us.

I know Pau isn't getting us a lotto, but maybe a contender would be willing to part with a late 1st and an expiring?
Frank Dux

Postby karacha on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Frank Dux wrote:As it stands we have an excellent chance at landing a franchise changing player who would be on a rookie contract.

True. I agree. But we also have a chance of landing absolutely nothing.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA 50m .@RambysPro: ---> The challenge with trading Pau Gasol is that moving $19 million and not getting and ugly contract back is hard

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA 51m .@RambysPro: ---> If the Lakers could move Pau, get cheap young assets in return and no long-term $$ they might but no one is offering that

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA 49m . @Petemesa16: @RambysPro doom and gloom Steve. ---> If the Lakers would take back money, they could move Pau tomorrow. Not willing to do it

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA 46m .@Ackleydad4350: ---> Lakers plan has been to get to the end of the season and add no long-term money. Not sure that is changing.

I still say we're moving Kaman; his contract is easier to move, and he's a good enough talent to land us at least a temporary solution at the PG position for the short-term.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Thaddeus Young has requested a trade from the Philadelphia 76ers.

Young and his agent, Jim Tanner, submitted a trade request to Sam Hinkie and the Sixers weeks ago, according to a source close to Young.

"Thad is ready to leave Philly," the source said. "He isn't with the whole tanking thing."

Young was excited about the possibility of being traded to the Houston Rockets in a deal for Omer Asik before talks broke apart.

Via Jake Fischer/Liberty Ballers
Do it Mitch.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:29 pm

Young is alright. We're not ready to add a Young though.

We need a franchise before we get to a Young. He's a complimentary player to a great team and we need all the space we can get for a real franchise guy.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:48 pm

therealdeal wrote:Young is alright. We're not ready to add a Young though.

We need a franchise before we get to a Young. He's a complimentary player to a great team and we need all the space we can get for a real franchise guy.

Unless you're on the sign Melo train, we aren't getting a franchise guy this season or next. With Philly making Young, Hawes, Turner available, that would be a package I couldn't turn down for Pau & 1 of our young guys they like.. Highly doubt they'd come near that though.
LakersN4

Postby nduri on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Frank Dux wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:

Tor - Pau
LAL - Lowry / Deng
Chi - Derozan

or

Tor - Pau
LAL - Amir / Deng
Chi - Derozan

Lowry and Deng for Pau? Sign me up.[/quote]

You could kiss those sweet ping pong balls goodbye if we went through with this. As it stands we have an excellent chance at landing a franchise changing player who would be on a rookie contract. Lowry and Deng are nice players, but it's not like they would give us any shot at contending this year, all they would do is add more wins so that we're a mediocre high lotto team, maaaybe 1st round exit, at best... Basically NBA hell. Besides, both of those guys are ours if we really want them in 2014(Free agency). So I would rather play out the season with the gangbuster youth, and nail a top 5 pick, and go from there. Exum, Wiggins, or Parker would be absolutely huge for us.

I know Pau isn't getting us a lotto, but maybe a contender would be willing to part with a late 1st and an expiring?[/quote]

Totally agree, we have to return to the Dynasty building mindset, granted Kobe would like another one before he's done but as a Laker fan, I'd like another 5 or 6...or more. This year, getting anyone other than Lebron, and Paul probably wouldn't put us in the finals. We have a chance to get a cheap, young talent to put with another max talent in free agency, we'll be on our way back without years of mediocrity.
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby Center Court on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:19 am

nduri wrote:
Frank Dux wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:

Tor - Pau
LAL - Lowry / Deng
Chi - Derozan

or

Tor - Pau
LAL - Amir / Deng
Chi - Derozan

Lowry and Deng for Pau? Sign me up.

I know Pau isn't getting us a lotto, but maybe a contender would be willing to part with a late 1st and an expiring?[/quote]

Totally agree, we have to return to the Dynasty building mindset, granted Kobe would like another one before he's done but as a Laker fan, I'd like another 5 or 6...or more. This year, getting anyone other than Lebron, and Paul probably wouldn't put us in the finals. We have a chance to get a cheap, young talent to put with another max talent in free agency, we'll be on our way back without years of mediocrity.[/quote]

^^^^

We need a lotto pick. It's our best bet in building a long term contender. Anything in the top 3 and you've got a superstar. Anything 4-7 you've got an all star, and 8-14 is still filled with guys who can play at all star type levels. No doubt there will be steals and busts but getting a high pick is a great position to be in and gives you control over who you'd like to take.

For me: Wiggins, Parker, Smart, Randle, Embiid, Exum. That's the order I'd draft in. Maybe flip flop 1 and 2.

Add a superstar level talent via free agency to a rookie contract all star and it's a great recipe for success.
Center Court

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:29 am

LakersN4 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Young is alright. We're not ready to add a Young though.

Unless you're on the sign Melo train, we aren't getting a franchise guy this season or next. With Philly making Young, Hawes, Turner available, that would be a package I couldn't turn down for Pau & 1 of our young guys they like.. Highly doubt they'd come near that though.

1. I am certainly on the sign Carmelo Anthony train. Definitely.

2. Philly wants to get rid of their pieces so they're going to give us ALL of them for Pau and a guy? That's insanity. Obviously if Pau turns into Turner, Hawes, AND Young you take it, but that's not happening. Young is going to be sent away for a pick to a good team or a team trying to make the playoffs. Hawes and Turner too. You'd be lucky to get one of those players for Pau.

And like has already been pointed out a million times, the Lakers aren't taking on salary. Why? Because we don't have a franchise player yet and we don't want to be mired in the same problems as middling teams with no money to spend and no way out of mediocrity.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:16 pm

Lance Stephenson with another triple double tonight. He's going to be an UFA this offseason. If I'm the Lakers, I'm making him an offer.

It's his 3rd triple double this season.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Center Court on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:20 am

Doc Brown wrote:Lance Stephenson with another triple double tonight. He's going to be an UFA this offseason. If I'm the Lakers, I'm making him an offer.

Great role player/difference maker on a championship level team. Not a guy to build around IMO. Especially with Kobe gobbling up as much as he is next year, it'd make it extremely tough to add another superstar if we signed Lance.
Center Court

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:59 am

Pacers can't afford losing him which means we will have to overpay , something we shouldn't do ...

This is why drafts are important ... 13/7/5 on 48% shooting ( and 37% from 3) , his 2013-2014 salary =900k

We could use a starter caliber player on a rookie scale contract ...
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:45 am

Center Court wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Lance Stephenson with another triple double tonight. He's going to be an UFA this offseason. If I'm the Lakers, I'm making him an offer.

Great role player/difference maker on a championship level team. Not a guy to build around IMO. Especially with Kobe gobbling up as much as he is next year, it'd make it extremely tough to add another superstar if we signed Lance.

Who said anything about building around him? I'm not talking about giving him a max deal. Give him a reasonable contract and see if we can get him.

With that logic we shouldn't sign anyone and hold out on pipe dreams of all the stars wanting to leave and come here.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:48 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Pacers can't afford losing him which means we will have to overpay , something we shouldn't do ...

This is why drafts are important ... 13/7/5 on 48% shooting ( and 37% from 3) , his 2013-2014 salary =900k

We could use a starter caliber player on a rookie scale contract ...

We don't have to overpay, he's not a RFA. Offer him a reasonable deal and see if the Pacers are willing to go over the cap to sign him.
Doc Brown

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:44 am

^^^^ I meant in a way he would choose us over Indiana ..

I'd offer him a 4 years 28M ish deal ...
wcsoldier81

Postby Center Court on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:45 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Center Court wrote:

Who said anything about building around him? I'm not talking about giving him a max deal. Give him a reasonable contract and see if we can get him.

With that logic we shouldn't sign anyone and hold out on pipe dreams of all the stars wanting to leave and come here.

Nobody said anything about building around him, but by giving him the contract such as 4-$28, you're preventing yourself from bringing 2 max guys to carry the franchise. If you want Melo this off-season and Lance also, that could work, but then no more big free agents until Kobe comes off the books. Either way, it's a moot point because Indy is not letting him leave.

IMO the best plan is to continue to suck, get lotto pick (hopefully with some luck), keep the majority of this team together then go for Love next summer. If Bledsoe can be had for $10 or less (impossible) then spend it on him. Maybe Kyrie declines his option in 2015 and we can max him in 16. If not, Rondo and Love sounds pretty appealing in 15.
Center Court

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Center Court wrote:Great role player/difference maker on a championship level team. Not a guy to build around IMO. Especially with Kobe gobbling up as much as he is next year, it'd make it extremely tough to add another superstar if we signed Lance.

Nobody said anything about building around him

See bolded above.

, but by giving him the contract such as 4-$28, you're preventing yourself from bringing 2 max guys to carry the franchise. If you want Melo this off-season and Lance also, that could work, but then no more big free agents until Kobe comes off the books. Either way, it's a moot point because Indy is not letting him leave.

IMO the best plan is to continue to suck, get lotto pick (hopefully with some luck), keep the majority of this team together then go for Love next summer. If Bledsoe can be had for $10 or less (impossible) then spend it on him. Maybe Kyrie declines his option in 2015 and we can max him in 16. If not, Rondo and Love sounds pretty appealing in 15.

We can barely squeeze one max player in right now with Kobe and we are supposed to hold out and get two super star players? Let's get back to being realistic. Or not.....

Love, Rondo, Kyrie and Bledsoe. Everyone wants to be a Laker. :jam2:

The 2014 plan, that turned into the 2015 plan, that will turn into the 2016 plan.
Doc Brown

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:48 pm

Luol Deng is already receiving interest from the Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Lakers, Toronto Raptors, San Antonio Spurs, Memphis Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets among others, according to sources.

The Bulls have reportedly decided they will try to re-sign Deng in free agency.

“I’ve moved around a lot, but this is the longest I’ve been in one place my whole life and I came here at 19," Deng said. "I’m 28 now. I pretty much grew up here. So for me to think about being somewhere else, it’s a weird feeling. But at the same time, I don’t know what it’s like to be somewhere else. I’ve been here my whole career. Maybe it’s better, maybe it’s not. I don’t know that. The best thing I can do is play, be the best I can be and hope it works out. I don’t know if it will be here, if it will be somewhere else. I don’t know that.

"But right now, I can’t hang on to that. I can’t control that. I think when the season’s over and everything is done, then you sit down and you go through that stuff. But for me to think about it now, it’s just a waste of energy because I don’t even know — what am I supposed to think about? I don’t know what city. So it’s just a waste of time.”

Via Aggrey Sam/Comcast SportsNet
Pau & Nash for Deng & Boozer?
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:11 am

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 15h
Rival execs predicting Lance Stephenson will be worth between $7 and $9 million per season in a multi year deal this summer
Expand

That would put the Pacers at 67-69 million without including their 1st round pick.

I would take Stephenson at 9 million + Monroe at 13 million over Melo at 20 million.

We need to two big breaks to get those guys, but if it kept us from dumping all that money into Melo, please do it Mitch.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:58 pm

My main problem there: do those two make us a Champion? Do those two get us in the playoffs?

Because if we tie up our money in those two, we're not getting anybody else for a couple years. Is it enough? I don't know.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:12 pm

therealdeal wrote:My main problem there: do those two make us a Champion? Do those two get us in the playoffs?

Because if we tie up our money in those two, we're not getting anybody else for a couple years. Is it enough? I don't know.

IMO, we need to put the money into a defensive Center or PF+C combo. I think we have the off guard and SF positions sown up for the most part as I expect us to be able to sign at least some of our young players, but our inside presence is terrible right now. That above all else, is losing us games (aside from the injuries). Jordan is a great asset, but he's not a defensive enforcer aside from offensive rebounding.

It would also be great to get a two way PG, but I could see rolling with Blake and Farmar if we get two really good bigs. Monroe needs to be a big focus IMO.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion