Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Pig Miller on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:26 am

therealdeal wrote:Mr. Pec Tear? No I don't think so. I like him, but the guy is a PF masquerading as a C and he's now had two separate pectoral tears. Random injuries for a big man.

i agree on the PF as a C, but doesn't necessarily need to be the case here. atlanta just never positioned him correctly.

yeah, not sure why he's had that issue, but he's still got significantly more value than pau at this point right? and much younger.

just floating it out there, don't love it or hate it
Pig Miller

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:11 am

The problem is that I don't want to make a move unless I love it. There's no reason to sign or trade for anyone that we're not going to be building around right now. That's why this summer will be so interesting.

It'll be interesting to see if we even make a run at LeBron or Carmelo. Maybe we sign max offers to Bledsoe or Monroe or both... But I don't really want to make a move unless it's somebody LA can put their stock into for a long time. That's what we're trying to do.

Maybe Horford is one of those pieces, but maybe he's not. One of the pros is having Horford and Kobe costs just 35 million and we could conceivably sign a max contract with those two... So that's nice.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:18 am

therealdeal wrote:The problem is that I don't want to make a move unless I love it. There's no reason to sign or trade for anyone that we're not going to be building around right now. That's why this summer will be so interesting.

It'll be interesting to see if we even make a run at LeBron or Carmelo. Maybe we sign max offers to Bledsoe or Monroe or both... But I don't really want to make a move unless it's somebody LA can put their stock into for a long time. That's what we're trying to do.

Maybe Horford is one of those pieces, but maybe he's not. One of the pros is having Horford and Kobe costs just 35 million and we could conceivably sign a max contract with those two... So that's nice.

The problem I see with Horford is he's sort of a "dime a dozen" type guy. I feel like there's a few guys in the league that are attainable that can provide what Horford provides. I think we have a shot at Monroe and/or Love, either one of which I'd rather have.

The main issue I see is we need a pg. This is a pg league and we haven't had a good one since Nick van Exel. all the big names the Lakers are mentioned with are always 3s, 4s or 5s. Unfortunately, we seem to still be delusional enough into building a team around a 35-37 year old shooting guard who is still a shell of what he was before the worst injury a player like him could have. Our REAL rebuild starts in 2016 because we cannot win with "him" taking up half our cap. :bang:
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:22 am

I think the Lakers are best served giving a max deal to either Bledsoe or Monroe. I don't think both would do well...

If you want to go the PG route, which I think is a good one, then force Phoenix to pay Bledsoe the max. If they don't we have Bledsoe for about 13.7 million, Kobe for 23.5 million, our first round pick for about 2 million, and Sacre for 1 million. Let's throw in at least 3 million for Nash. We're at 43.2 million.

If everyone else is on 1 year deals, then we have space the next season to go after Love. Barely enough space, but enough given that the cap raises slightly (and maybe we cut Sacre), we have a shot.

Bledsoe/Kobe/???/Love/Rookie would be a good look I think. In a year make a run at Durant.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Damian Necronamous on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:50 am

Pau Gasol, Robert Sacre to CLE
Andrew Bynum, Earl Clark, Tyler Zeller, ORL '14 Second Round pick, MEM '15 First Round Pick to LAL

That should be a done deal.

We cut Bynum immediately, and waive Clark after the season because next year is non-guaranteed on his contract.
Last edited by Damian Necronamous on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damian Necronamous

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:59 am

Why?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:40 pm

lukewaltonsdad wrote:Western Conference Standings

1. Oklahoma - Starting PG Russell Westbrook
2. Portland - Starting PG Damien Lillard
3. San Antonio - Tony Parker
4. Clippers - Chris Paul
5. Houston - Starting PG was Patrick Beverly, but now Jeremy Lin
6. Phoenix - Starting PG Eric Bledsoe
7. Golden State - Stephen Curry
8. Dallas - Monta Ellis

My point? This is a point guards league. We need a starting caliber PG through free-agency or the draft That should be our first priority this offseason. The first 4 teams at the top of the conference all have arguably All-Star caliber PG's. We have Nash/Blake/Farmar/Marshall. Nash is done, Blake is injury prone, Farmar is best used at a backup, IMO, and the verdict is still out on Marshall.

I know we have so many holes to fill...but our first needs to be a NBA Starting Caliber PG, IMO

I would love it if we could be fortunate enough to draft Marcus Smart. He is an NBA ready PG with great strength, defense, size, and attacking the rim
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby last stand on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:07 pm

lukewaltonsdad wrote:Western Conference Standings

1. Oklahoma - Starting PG Russell Westbrook
2. Portland - Starting PG Damien Lillard
3. San Antonio - Tony Parker
4. Clippers - Chris Paul
5. Houston - Starting PG was Patrick Beverly, but now Jeremy Lin
6. Phoenix - Starting PG Eric Bledsoe
7. Golden State - Stephen Curry
8. Dallas - Monta Ellis

My point? This is a point guards league. We need a starting caliber PG through free-agency or the draft That should be our first priority this offseason. The first 4 teams at the top of the conference all have arguably All-Star caliber PG's. We have Nash/Blake/Farmar/Marshall. Nash is done, Blake is injury prone, Farmar is best used at a backup, IMO, and the verdict is still out on Marshall.

I know we have so many holes to fill...but our first needs to be a NBA Starting Caliber PG, IMO

The last 5 championships have been won by teams with elite wing players
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:21 am

This year will be no different when Paul George and the Pacers will win the chip over OKC.
D.B. Cooper

Postby last stand on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:53 am

historically great wing players and great bigs win championships.

bird, kobe, jordan, lebron, dr. j, shaq, kareem, wilt, hakeem, duncan, wade

to magic and west

now i'm probably missing someone but my point is ball dominant PGs don't win titles. great wings and bigs do.

this draft has elite talent at wings and bigs. my guess is there will be a multiple championship winner out of this class (wiggins) and it'll be consistent with the history of the NBA. it may not be a bigs league like it has been but dominance down low or on the wing will always be the recipe for titles

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Center Court on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:23 pm

last stand wrote:historically great wing players and great bigs win championships.

to magic and west

now i'm probably missing someone but my point is ball dominant PGs don't win titles. great wings and bigs do.

this draft has elite talent at wings and bigs. my guess is there will be a multiple championship winner out of this class (wiggins) and it'll be consistent with the history of the NBA. it may not be a bigs league like it has been but dominance down low or on the wing will always be the recipe for titles

Agreed. IMO the best big we can possibly get anytime in the next 5 year is available this summer. Embiid. Dude is going to be a monster. I know we're a long shot for a top 3 pick but with all the injuries piling up (to the teams that should be top 3) maybe we can get lucky. I still think Wiggins and Parker are 1 and 2 but IF it were my choice I go with Joel all day.

my wet dream: Embiid in the draft, fill in the roster with 1 year deals then sign Love next year. Bring Phil in as West/Riley role and hire a coach that values bigs. Go from there.
Center Court

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:42 pm

Not sure why I see so many posters wanting us to get Embiid.. Bigs usually take so much longer to develop.. I'm hoping if we do land a high pick, we draft a wing or PG who can come in & contribute to us contending within his first 2 seasons, while we still have the Mamba to carry us.
LakersN4

Postby Azndude2190 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:46 pm

LakersN4 wrote:Not sure why I see so many posters wanting us to get Embiid.. Bigs usually take so much longer to develop.. I'm hoping if we do land a high pick, we draft a wing or PG who can come in & contribute to us contending within his first 2 seasons, while we still have the Mamba to carry us.

I think it's because we've won all our titles with a dominant big being part of a 1-2 punch: Wilt, KAJ, Shaq, and Pau (obviously 08-10). But yea I agree, if we do somehow land a top 3 pick I want to get either Wiggins or Parker before we pick Embiid.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:27 pm

I always hear about how today's NBA has changed so much from before but in my opinion the Lakers should follow the route they've always used: draft a wing/ball handler and acquire a big man.

Like N4 said bigs take longer to develop. Let someone else do it and we'll snatch em up when we're ready. Give me a Wiggins or a Parker first. There's a couple other wings who could help immediately. A big man should only really fall to us in the draft if we don't get one of the first five picks.

Get a wing, aquire a big. Age old formula.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:34 am

LakersN4 wrote:Not sure why I see so many posters wanting us to get Embiid.. Bigs usually take so much longer to develop.. I'm hoping if we do land a high pick, we draft a wing or PG who can come in & contribute to us contending within his first 2 seasons, while we still have the Mamba to carry us.

IMO Embiid has an incredibly high ceiling. Worst case I see more offensively skilled Roy Hibbert (couple inches smaller though) and bet case I see the next Hakeem with less grace but more size. I guess I even see what "Socks" could have become had injury not derailed him. Big, skilled, soft hands, athletic, smart, great defender, moves well without the ball and never gives up.

I could be wrong but that's what I see as talent level. In terms of why a big over a wing, I guess there is no great reason other than bigs dominate in ways no other player can. I see how Wiggins could go #1 or even Parker and maybe by seasons end I agree... but as of today I'm pretty sold on Joel
Center Court

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:03 am

You don't want your best player to be a PG ... the best defensive teams coming playoffs time are able to shut down the PNR game ... last time a team won the title with its clear best player being a PG was .. in 1990.

A dominant wing , another solid creator from the perimeter and mobile bigs ... this is the formula to win right now
wcsoldier81

Postby last stand on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:28 am

therealdeal wrote:I always hear about how today's NBA has changed so much from before but in my opinion the Lakers should follow the route they've always used: draft a wing/ball handler and acquire a big man.

Like N4 said bigs take longer to develop. Let someone else do it and we'll snatch em up when we're ready. Give me a Wiggins or a Parker first. There's a couple other wings who could help immediately. A big man should only really fall to us in the draft if we don't get one of the first five picks.

i actually think wiggins will fall to #3 which only increases our chances of getting him which would give us the next face of the league

i agree about the acquiring bigs style. even if you just sign kevin love in 2015 to go with a wiggins/parker and kobe your looking at a hell of a team

parker would be the last guy i'd want out of the top 3 just because i can already see a guy who will be relegated to a jump shooter in the NBA. kevin durant gets away with it but he's also more athletic than parker.

i want someone who can get in the paint at will. in the open floored, man to man defense style of the NBA i see wiggins doing that all game long. an absolute freak of nature. almost michael jordan esque in his ability to float, contort, twist himself on the court

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby last stand on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:33 am

Center Court wrote:
last stand wrote:historically great wing players and great bigs win championships.

to magic and west

Agreed. IMO the best big we can possibly get anytime in the next 5 year is available this summer. Embiid. Dude is going to be a monster. I know we're a long shot for a top 3 pick but with all the injuries piling up (to the teams that should be top 3) maybe we can get lucky. I still think Wiggins and Parker are 1 and 2 but IF it were my choice I go with Joel all day.

my wet dream: Embiid in the draft, fill in the roster with 1 year deals then sign Love next year. Bring Phil in as West/Riley role and hire a coach that values bigs. Go from there.

i love embiid. he's by far the best center prospect since greg oden. but bigs scare me. unlike wings and guards their talent isn't always what determines their failure

greg oden was the best defensive center in basketball before his injuries. the guy sadly would have been the premier big man in basketball he showed absolute flashes. even after returning from the first microfracture.

bigs can be injury prone without you even knowing it. sometimes their knees are just waiting to give out.

sometimes they get by using their height at lower levels and struggle to deal with guys their size

bigs have so many variables. while he could easily be the next hakeem (he has the talent) he can also be the next greg oden, or the next darko milicic

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:17 am

therealdeal wrote:I always hear about how today's NBA has changed so much from before but in my opinion the Lakers should follow the route they've always used: draft a wing/ball handler and acquire a big man.

The game changed a lot as post ups are a rarity in today's game ... on the defensive end , you need more mobile bigs to defend the PNR , help and recover ... look how Duncan slimmed down to adapt .

This is fast/athletic/perimeter oriented league where positions matters a lot less than before .

I definetely agree on getting 1st a dominant wing player though ... as for bigs , a Bosh like player will do the trick ...
wcsoldier81

Postby kenzo on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:38 am

In this years draft, if you have a top 6-7 pick, you just can't eff it up (in my opinion). Great prospects... time to grab one :man9:
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:44 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
The game changed a lot as post ups are a rarity in today's game ... on the defensive end , you need more mobile bigs to defend the PNR , help and recover ... look how Duncan slimmed down to adapt .

This is fast/athletic/perimeter oriented league where positions matters a lot less than before .

I definetely agree on getting 1st a dominant wing player though ... as for bigs , a Bosh like player will do the trick ...

It's all relative.

Get a wing who is competent at this level (the rumors that LA was hopeful for Paul George really make sense to me) and get a big that dominates in TODAY'S NBA. It's what we already tried to do with Howard and Paul. We'll try it again this summer and next.

My guess is that the situation has been fluid all along. I'm sure the Lakers considered Carmelo for a long time in the hopes of adding him and then try to figure a way to get Love next summer. Now that we stink and we're working our to a lottery pick, I think the Lakers are thinking about getting one of the 5 or 6 really talented wing players in the draft and then still going after Love in 2015 if we can.

It's still the same formula even if Love isn't the traditional big man you'd think of when thinking "Laker Great Bigs".
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nduri on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:22 am

My dream scenario, 2014. Draft Wiggins 1st round, Isaiah Austin 2nd round, sign free agent Stephenson starting pg (assuming Lebron is unavailable), trade Gasol/Hill for Bynum/Thompson, resign Farmar, Johnson, Henry, Young, for one year, Nash retires. 2015, Sign Love. 2016 Kobe's contract is up, Sign Durant and Drummond.

Pg - Lance Stephenson - Jordan Farmar -
Sg - Andrew Wiggins - Nick Young/Xavier Henry
Sf - Kevin Durant - Wesley Johnson/
Pf - Kevin Love - Tristan Thompson (trade?) -
C - Andre Drummond - Isaiah Austin - Robert Sacre

All this is assuming that Lebron is unavailable, Drummond is not a full MAX player, Stephenson comes in on a 4 yr contract @ 8-10mil per, Wesley, Nick, Farmar and X don't sign above market, if they don't, possibly trade Thompson for young assets/future picks, and Kobe retires or signs on REASONABLY for another run at 38 years old.
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby Center Court on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:44 am

nduri wrote:My dream scenario, 2014. Draft Wiggins 1st round, Isaiah Austin 2nd round, sign free agent Stephenson starting pg (assuming Lebron is unavailable), trade Gasol/Hill for Bynum/Thompson, resign Farmar, Johnson, Henry, Young, for one year, Nash retires. 2015, Sign Love. 2016 Kobe's contract is up, Sign Durant and Drummond.

Pg - Lance Stephenson - Jordan Farmar -
Sg - Andrew Wiggins - Nick Young/Xavier Henry
Sf - Kevin Durant - Wesley Johnson/
Pf - Kevin Love - Tristan Thompson (trade?) -
C - Andre Drummond - Isaiah Austin - Robert Sacre

All this is assuming that Lebron is unavailable, Drummond is not a full MAX player, Stephenson comes in on a 4 yr contract @ 8-10mil per, Wesley, Nick, Farmar and X don't sign above market, if they don't, possibly trade Thompson for young assets/future picks, and Kobe retires or signs on REASONABLY for another run at 38 years old.

Indiana will match Lance IMO up to $10M. Larry Legend loves him. Drummond is going to get close to max just like Cousins did. Thompson will be up for extension by then and Cleveland probably wants to keep him with Kyrie.

But financially speaking none of that is even possible-- not even close. If that were our team I'd love it and I feel like it's a perfect built team, but it's not possible.
Center Court

Postby nduri on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:35 am

Cousins is a 70% free throw shooter, Drummond is shooting 38%, also Cousins gives you 23 pts to Drummonds 13. I think, numbers wise, he compares to Deandre Jordan (11 mil) and I think that may be what their front office throws at him when the time comes, barring major improvements. I would go a little higher with Stephenson, either get him or make the Pacers pay a bit more to keep him.

The Thompson thing isn't a deal breaker, but when Kobe comes off the books, we'd be looking at 2 contracts around 11 mil and 2 max contracts at around 17 give or take. That is basically less than we have with Pau, Kobe and Nash at the moment.
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:38 am

therealdeal wrote:I think the Lakers are best served giving a max deal to either Bledsoe or Monroe. I don't think both would do well...

If you want to go the PG route, which I think is a good one, then force Phoenix to pay Bledsoe the max. If they don't we have Bledsoe for about 13.7 million, Kobe for 23.5 million, our first round pick for about 2 million, and Sacre for 1 million. Let's throw in at least 3 million for Nash. We're at 43.2 million.

If everyone else is on 1 year deals, then we have space the next season to go after Love. Barely enough space, but enough given that the cap raises slightly (and maybe we cut Sacre), we have a shot.

Bledsoe/Kobe/???/Love/Rookie would be a good look I think. In a year make a run at Durant.

Max deal to Bledsoe? Is this a joke? I mean the guy is one of the most athletically gifted guards in the league but he can't even create his own shot. He is NOT a superstar PG and probably never will be.
Lets Go Lakers

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion