Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: When the overhaul happens, who would you like to keep?

Postby revgen on Sun May 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Lakerjones wrote:I actually like our team and think we could succeed with a different coach. That would be the first change I would try rather than personnel. At this point I would probably cut bait with Blake.

We'd be better than a 2nd round exit if we had Adelman. But I don't see us winning a chip with this current roster regardless of the coach. It's a little bit of both.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby GoldHammish on Sun May 20, 2012 2:03 pm

revgen wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:I actually like our team and think we could succeed with a different coach. That would be the first change I would try rather than personnel. At this point I would probably cut bait with Blake.

We'd be better than a 2nd round exit if we had Adelman. But I don't see us winning a chip with this current roster regardless of the coach. It's a little bit of both.

It would definitely be much more interesting with Adelman at the helm.
GoldHammish

Postby Lakerjones on Sun May 20, 2012 2:13 pm

revgen wrote:

I hear you Rev and Roo as well. I also think this roster under Adelman could have gone places. Pau and Sessions would both be utilized correctly and I think you'd see a lot more cohesion with this team. Adelman has a system and it would have fit very well with this bunch of guys. It needed a penetrating PG instead of Fish, and we got that at the trade deadline with Sessions. Brown has simply decided to either squash him or just not play him for the most part. Ron Ron also played some of his best ball under Adelman.

Well, can't cry over spilt milk, but . . .

I do like some of our young guys like GLOCK and Ebanks and would have liked to have seen them get more run. Sessions fits that category in some ways, too. Brown just didn't trust him.

I don't see us winning anything with this coach. I think Bynum doesn't respect or like him, and I see him as a very stubborn and conservative guy who has next to no idea of how to utilize his players and put them in a position to succeed on the offensive end.

Perhaps you guys are right and you need a complete overhaul of the team, but I hate thinking like that. I'd hate to trade Pau when his value is at an all time low. Other than Pau there are really no big moves to be made. Roo is saying you can't just tweak the squad, but you don't have a lot of tradable guys either.

To me the smarter move was to bring in a coach who could work with the players here. That can still be the case.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby easyguy on Sun May 20, 2012 2:23 pm

Everyone is expendable. This team been sucking for the last two years.
Last edited by easyguy on Sun May 20, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
easyguy

Postby Lakerjones on Sun May 20, 2012 2:28 pm

easyguy wrote:Everyone is expandable. This team been sucking for the last two years.

I think you mean expendable. But I couldn't disagree with you more. And no, the team hasn't sucked the last two years. We are still an elite team with a possibility of contention but we aren't going anywhere if: 1, our guys don't put out the effort as they did not last year, and 2 If they either ignore the coach (last year) or the coach isn't elite himself (this year).
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFan1980 on Sun May 20, 2012 2:29 pm

I'd get rid of Pau and Barnes. I'd try to trade Pau, Barnes and Morris for Kevin Love!

Bynum/Hill
Love/McRoberts
MWP/Ebanks
Kobe/Goudelocke
Sessions/Blake
WE PAY CASH FOR HOUSES
424-216-8525
LakerFan1980

Postby KB24 on Sun May 20, 2012 2:41 pm

^good luck. Why would Minny even remotely trade the best PF in the league for an old soft PF and a bunch of scrubs.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Sun May 20, 2012 2:43 pm

If our season ends tomorrow I'd keep Kobe Bryant Andrew Bynum Jordan Hill Metta World Peace and Ramon Sessions Andrew Goudelock..the rest can take a hike.
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby easyguy on Sun May 20, 2012 3:34 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
easyguy wrote:Everyone is expandable. This team been sucking for the last two years.

I think you mean expendable. But I couldn't disagree with you more. And no, the team hasn't sucked the last two years. We are still an elite team with a possibility of contention but we aren't going anywhere if: 1, our guys don't put out the effort as they did not last year, and 2 If they either ignore the coach (last year) or the coach isn't elite himself (this year).

Thanks for the correction. As you said we are an elite team that fails to make it to the final the last two years. You know what team we are identical to now? The Kings! Or any other teams that get eliminated after the 1st or the 2nd round. History will never remember these past two years.
easyguy

Postby ragesince1516 on Sun May 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Only Kobe.
As good as anybody, much much better than most.
ragesince1516

Postby trodgers on Sun May 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Our "schemes." That's all that has to change.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Alleyhoops on Sun May 20, 2012 5:20 pm

GoatMilk16 wrote:im going to get flack, but Kobe's contract is just a killer

Well, 27 mil next year is nearly half the entire salary cap of 58 mil. The following season he'll make more than half of the cap. Talk about strapping management from putting good players around your star. It's a pretty grim scenario.
Alleyhoops

Postby Alleyhoops on Sun May 20, 2012 5:24 pm

KB24 wrote:^good luck. Why would Minny even remotely trade the best PF in the league for an old soft PF and a bunch of scrubs.

I'm hoping the front office is able to move Pau's 19 mil for the draft rights to Anthony Davis. At 433k for Davis' rookie contract and some additional wrangling, we'd be in a position to at least court DWill.
Alleyhoops

Postby jlkr on Sun May 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Alleyhoops wrote:

Well, 27 mil next year is nearly half the entire salary cap of 58 mil. The following season he'll make more than half of the cap. Talk about strapping management from putting good players around your star. It's a pretty grim scenario.

Which is why I think management should broach the subject of amnesty to Kobe in private. They need to make it clear to him that the team as constructed is done and needs to be rebuilt. Ask Kobe if he wants to be part of another rebuilding project and take his cue accordingly.

Unless of course Mitch can do like Buford and Popovich and bring in a bunch of young'uns who can play with Kobe and Bynum. Given that the Lakers have the worst bench of any playoff team this year, the jury is definitely out of the house on that one. Basically do like SA and Denver: bring in through trade and free agency scads of good to excellent role players to stuff the bench with. For instance, Kawhi Leonard has been a real find for the Spurs; they saw him, wanted him and were able to trade for the pick that got him. Mitch dumped picks instead... sigh ...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby GoldHammish on Sun May 20, 2012 5:30 pm

Alleyhoops wrote:
KB24 wrote:^good luck. Why would Minny even remotely trade the best PF in the league for an old soft PF and a bunch of scrubs.

I'm hoping the front office is able to move Pau's 19 mil for the draft rights to Anthony Davis. At 433k for Davis' rookie contract and some additional wrangling, we'd be in a position to at least court DWill.

How would we "court DWill"? Even without Pau's salary, I believe we're still over the cap.
GoldHammish

Postby cthroatgtr on Sun May 20, 2012 5:32 pm

jlkr wrote:
Alleyhoops wrote:

Which is why I think management should broach the subject of amnesty to Kobe in private. They need to make it clear to him that the team as constructed is done and needs to be rebuilt. Ask Kobe if he wants to be part of another rebuilding project and take his cue accordingly.

Unless of course Mitch can do like Buford and Popovich and bring in a bunch of young'uns who can play with Kobe and Bynum. Given that the Lakers have the worst bench of any playoff team this year, the jury is definitely out of the house on that one. Basically do like SA and Denver: bring in through trade and free agency scads of good to excellent role players to stuff the bench with. For instance, Kawhi Leonard has been a real find for the Spurs; they saw him, wanted him and were able to trade for the pick that got him. Mitch dumped picks instead... sigh ...

I would agree but the problem with the amnesty is Kobe is a waiver wire pickup. You can't do that to Kobe after all he has meant to the team. The NJ Nets could pick him up if they wanted. You do that players may rethink signing with the Lakers. I would agree to consider trading him if a team could make a realistic offer for him. I would almost be curious if the Clippers have space to trade for him.
cthroatgtr

Postby jlkr on Sun May 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Alleyhoops wrote:

You will not see this one happen at all. No way anyone gives up someone so young and promising for an aging star who doesn't have many years left. Also no way they can get DWill as an FA, they'll have to craft an S&T for him. Gasol could be centerpiece of that one.

If the Lakers want Davis, nothing short of Bynum will get him. But since salaries have to match, etc., Lakers should try for some fillers (a couple of their starters to fill up the Laker bench) and a TPE. The team with Davis' draft rights can then use their cap space with Bynum to attract someone to come play with him. While the Lakers get to start their rebuild around Davis. Pau for DWill or serviceable role players (including at least one starter quality) and TPE. And that might be enough for another run with Kobe.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby intuitivelOve on Sun May 20, 2012 5:37 pm

^ I want Kobe amnistied and bought out over the summer so he can join the Heat. You people dont deserve him. Kobe needs to get as far away from this sinking ship as fast as possible. Goodluck with Jim Buss....i expect more "great" decisons like the rushed Mike Brown hiring!
intuitivelOve

Postby jlkr on Sun May 20, 2012 5:42 pm

cthroatgtr wrote:
jlkr wrote:
Alleyhoops wrote:Well, 27 mil next year is nearly half the entire salary cap of 58 mil. The following season he'll make more than half of the cap. Talk about strapping management from putting good players around your star. It's a pretty grim scenario.

I would agree but the problem with the amnesty is Kobe is a waiver wire pickup. You can't do that to Kobe after all he has meant to the team. The NJ Nets could pick him up if they wanted. You do that players may rethink signing with the Lakers. I would agree to consider trading him if a team could make a realistic offer for him. I would almost be curious if the Clippers have space to trade for him.

Have to remember Kobe's contract is untradeable, way too much has to come back and would decimate any team contemplating that trade under the new CBA. Even Kobe understands that. It was a huge problem back when he forced Mitch to look into trading him, he quickly realized that any team trading for him would have to give up too much to be a valid championship contender.

So only way Kobe can leave this summer is through the amnesty. It wouldn't be a matter of "doing it to Kobe", it would be a matter of looking at Kobe's desire for another ring and giving him (in private) a chance to say what he wants: stay with the Lakers through the rebuild or take his chances elsewhere. He could always pull a Fisher and refuse to play for a particular waiver claimant. That wouldn't cost him anything because the Lakers would still have to pay out his contract.
Last edited by jlkr on Sun May 20, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby 24K GOLD on Sun May 20, 2012 5:42 pm

intuitivelOve wrote:^ I want Kobe amnistied and bought out over the summer so he can join the Heat. You people dont deserve him. Kobe needs to get as far away from this sinking ship as fast as possible.

I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby Alleyhoops on Sun May 20, 2012 5:49 pm

GoldHammish wrote:
Alleyhoops wrote:

How would we "court DWill"? Even without Pau's salary, I believe we're still over the cap.

If the Lakers were able to move Gasol for a top 5 draft pick, we get closer to a scenario where we're able to pursue DWill.

The salary cap next year is 58 mil. Currently, we have 63 mil committed for next year. Included in that 63 mil is Pau's 19 mil. With 19 mil off the books, that takes us to 44 mil, 14 mil under the cap.

Also included in next years 63 mil is Moris' 937k qualifying offer and Goudelocks 762k contract.

DWil will most likely get around an 18 mil per contract. Yes, we have to fill out the roster, but moving Pau and some creative shifting puts us in the ballpark for pursuing Williams.
Alleyhoops

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Sun May 20, 2012 5:54 pm

intuitivelOve wrote:^ I want Kobe amnistied and bought out over the summer so he can join the Heat. You people dont deserve him. Kobe needs to get as far away from this sinking ship as fast as possible. Goodluck with Jim Buss....i expect more "great" decisons like the rushed Mike Brown hiring!

DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun May 20, 2012 5:57 pm

Sign Nash to 2 year MLE deal, let Sessions go.

Trade Pau to Minny for Beasley (S&T) and Derrick Williams.

New Starters: Nash, Kobe, MWP, Williams, and Bynum.

Key Reserves: Blake, Goudelock, Ebanks, and Beasley.

Nash wins #1, Kobe wins #6. :jam2:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby M2K on Sun May 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Showtime'sDynasty wrote:Kobe, Drew, MWP, Hill, Sessions
M2K

Postby 24K GOLD on Sun May 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Say we could amnesty Kobe (and I really oppose to this idea because let's face it, this WILL offend Kobe and I won't blame him), how much do we give him per year in his amnestied contract?
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion