Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:
tigerjeterkobe wrote:I liked what he gave us. I know he got a good deal out of it and under-performed elsewhere, but he could fill a nice hole next year as a back up PF and even spot minutes as a center or SF. Like Brooks, Young, and Henry - I think playing with Kobe in P&G (work ethic and competitiveness/edge) in MDA's system with Exum, Marshall, and Farmar will bring out the best in Clark, for cheap. Like with Ariza, his best and most productive fit was with our Chip teams (despite a few high-scoring games in Houston).

I just hope we can sign-and-trade Gasol and Hill for a late first-round pick this summer.


Exum, Marshall, Farmar
Stephenson (even if it takes 12-13 million), Young, Henry, Brooks
Kobe, Young, McDermott (or Warren from NC State)
Kelly, Clark, Cunningham
Monroe, Sacre, LO (back and motivated - i.e., off drugs)

Again, I would rather have Monroe and Stephenson to build around with Young, Exum, Henry, Kelly etc. than Kevin Love.

The team above is great for MDA, or for a guy like Tom Thibs.

I'm confused about how our money is spent. This summer we'll have Nash (3), Kobe (23.5), Sacre (1), Marshall (1), and Kelly (1) and that's already 29.5 million. McDermott and Exum will total probably near 5 million and we're at 34.5 million.

Spend 12 on Stephenson that's 46.5 million.
That leaves roughly 14.5 million or so for the rest...
How much does it take to get Monroe?
Henry, Young, and Farmar probably aren't sticking around for the minimum.
I don't know who Brooks is... (Aaron?)

I don't want Lamar Odom around... but that's another thing.


Hey Real - good questions. My thinking was 10 or 11 for Monroe. Some team may offer him more, or Det could match, but unless someone offers him a max deal, he could push to get his way here. Farmar - not much more than the minimum. Same with Henry. Young - a good chunk (or maybe all) of the MLE.

Clark for the minimum.

Also wouldn't be opposed to signing Hawes for 10 mill or a little less.
tigerjeterkobe

 
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:30 pm
Location: Buffalo

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Forward Luol Deng's reluctance to commit to a long-term extension with any team before July free agency makes it unlikely that the Cleveland Cavaliers can find a willing trade partner before Thursday's NBA deadline, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The Cavaliers have had conversations with several teams, including Dallas, Detroit and Indiana about Deng, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Nevertheless, there's no traction on a deal and no team seems inclined to give up valuable assets for a player who could walk away in free agency.

Deng is determined to investigate free agency in July before making a decision to stay with Cleveland, sources said.

Cleveland has tried to get a sense of Deng's openness to re-signing this summer, and Deng has expressed a willingness to consider the possibility, league sources said. Deng has yet to play at a high level in Cleveland, where he's found a young team in flux, a significant contrast from the structure and stability of the Chicago Bulls.

Deng will be seeking a free-agent contract in the range of $12 million to $13 million a year this summer, and Cleveland's maintaining of his Bird Rights allows the Cavs to give him a five-year extension with annual raises. Acting Cleveland general manager David Griffin has been gauging Deng's interest in recent days with teams, as ESPN first reported.

Deng had been believed to be a top free-agent priority of the Los Angeles Lakers, but there's increasing doubt within the league about whether L.A. will use its salary cap space to make a run at him.

Cleveland traded for Deng on Jan. 7 for a package that included three future draft picks and the contract of Andrew Bynum.


We were believed to be going after Deng but it looks like that has changed; we do need a two way player. This probably means that we go harder after Stephenson, IMO. Two-way player, younger, less injury prone.
lukewaltonsdad

 
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:36 pm

I'd throw $12 mill at Bledsoe 1st before Stevenson....dude getting to much much for this half of a season of decent play....same could be argued bout Bledsoe 1/4 of a good season but a PG that cant get into the paint at will would be a great weapon. For the 10-12milll range I want a player that can be #2 and #1 at times when things get rough, I dont see that out of Stevenson, he's like a very good #3 at best.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:42 pm

khmrP wrote:I'd throw $12 mill at Bledsoe 1st before Stevenson....dude getting to much much for this half of a season of decent play....same could be argued bout Bledsoe 1/4 of a good season but a PG that cant get into the paint at will would be a great weapon. For the 10-12milll range I want a player that can be #2 and #1 at times when things get rough, I dont see that out of Stevenson, he's like a very good #3 at best.

Depends on where we draft, but give me Stephenson. He just has that LA type of game- flashy and productive.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40412
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:49 pm

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:I'd throw $12 mill at Bledsoe 1st before Stevenson....dude getting to much much for this half of a season of decent play....same could be argued bout Bledsoe 1/4 of a good season but a PG that cant get into the paint at will would be a great weapon. For the 10-12milll range I want a player that can be #2 and #1 at times when things get rough, I dont see that out of Stevenson, he's like a very good #3 at best.

Depends on where we draft, but give me Stephenson. He just has that LA type of game- flashy and productive.



Bledose is pretty flash and productive to me, we've always had issues guarding quick PG, Bledsoe is a monster on that end.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby OX1947 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Mason & Ireland talking about how to get LeBron:
Quote:
If the Lakers want LeBron, they should setup a meeting when LeBron does his FA tour, so when he comes to LA waiting for him inside a room is Phil Jackson.

Phil Jackson tells LeBron: "LeBron, I have no interest in coaching long term. But if you, you, come to the Lakers, I will come back out of retirement and help you rebuild the Lakers."

This.
OX1947

 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 am

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Could we afford BOTH Lance and Bledsoe? Say $12mill for Bled and $10 for Lance. Would it work if we did get Embiid? Thats really athletic, defensive trio...with that scenario is there any cap room left to keep 2 of the 3 we want back in Farmar, Young, Hill? This lineup isn't true championship lvl team but could be fun to watch
Bledsoe
Lance
Kobe
???
Embiid
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby OX1947 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:09 pm

khmrP wrote:Could we afford BOTH Lance and Bledsoe? Say $12mill for Bled and $10 for Lance. Would it work if we did get Embiid? Thats really athletic, defensive trio...with that scenario is there any cap room left to keep 2 of the 3 we want back in Farmar, Young, Hill? This lineup isn't true championship lvl team but could be fun to watch
Bledsoe
Lance
Kobe
???
Embiid


Now that would be a team that could compete right away. Hill at the PF would round that team out perfectly. However, I do not think MDA would be the right coach for Embiid at Center.
OX1947

 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 am

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:11 pm

OX1947 wrote:
khmrP wrote:Could we afford BOTH Lance and Bledsoe? Say $12mill for Bled and $10 for Lance. Would it work if we did get Embiid? Thats really athletic, defensive trio...with that scenario is there any cap room left to keep 2 of the 3 we want back in Farmar, Young, Hill? This lineup isn't true championship lvl team but could be fun to watch
Bledsoe
Lance
Kobe
???
Embiid


Now that would be a team that could compete right away. Hill at the PF would round that team out perfectly. However, I do not think MDA would be the right coach for Embiid at Center.


oh should've noted that, I'm praying MDA is fired the very minute the last game is played :man10: Mitch should be like Chappel here sitting right next to MDA on the last game of the season

Image
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby kenzo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:14 pm

No way in hell i would give Deng what he is asking for (10+ mil a season). I would also look at Stephenson before i would look at Bledsoe/Monroe.
User avatar
kenzo

 
Posts: 5973
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:15 pm

khmrP wrote:Could we afford BOTH Lance and Bledsoe? Say $12mill for Bled and $10 for Lance. Would it work if we did get Embiid? Thats really athletic, defensive trio...with that scenario is there any cap room left to keep 2 of the 3 we want back in Farmar, Young, Hill? This lineup isn't true championship lvl team but could be fun to watch
Bledsoe
Lance
Kobe
???
Embiid


Someone told me about Bledsoe having questionable knees so I did some research. His long term prognosis doesn't look good. Not sure if it would be bad over the next 4 years which is all the Lakers can sign him for.

I would rather go after Stephenson and Lowry. The advantage of Stephenson is you can slot him at the 2 or 3.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9042
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Yeah I really like Bledsoe and I think he can be a good player, but he's got two knee injuries in 3 years or something like that. That's the only reason I'd be hesitant to out bid him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40412
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:07 am

Metta Wants A 2nd Chance With Knicks Now That Phil Is Back With The Knicks

Image

World Peace is more than a month removed from a Knicks buyout — one he wouldn’t have asked for had he known the Zen Master was waiting in the wings as team president. World Peace has told confidants he yearns for a second chance as a Knick after his first stint went sour. When asked if the former Ron Artest wants another shot at New York when he’s a free agent this summer, the confidant told The Post: “Abso-bleeping-lutely.’’


http://nypost.com/2014/03/27/metta-worl ... l-jackson/
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10265
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:51 am

Suns to trade picks for veteran help?

By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND1TWEET0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
The Phoenix Suns currently own three picks -- No. 14 (own), No. 18 (from Washington) and No. 27 (from Indiana) -- in the first round of the 2014 NBA draft. The Suns have enough youth on the team, so the plan is to use those picks to bring in some veteran help.

"I think it's unlikely we bring in three rookies to the Suns next year," general manager Ryan McDonough told ArizonaSports.com. "We obviously have Alex Len and Archie Goodwin ... it's tough to develop rookies and also try to win a lot of games."

McDonough added: "Our preference would be, as I said when I arrived, to trade for a star if we can do that. We feel like we've traded for some pretty good players in Eric Bledsoe and Miles Plumlee. Gerald Green also played a big role for us this year. But, we're going to continue to explore the trade market."

McDonough's biggest need is to upgrade the small forward position and that will be his focus in the draft and with trade scenarios. The Suns should also have plenty of salary cap room in July, so they can improve the roster via free agency, too.


Hopefully we can help facilitate something with the Suns because, unlike them, we sure could use another 1st round pick, even if it's a late round pick.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19455
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:41 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Suns to trade picks for veteran help?

By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND1TWEET0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
The Phoenix Suns currently own three picks -- No. 14 (own), No. 18 (from Washington) and No. 27 (from Indiana) -- in the first round of the 2014 NBA draft. The Suns have enough youth on the team, so the plan is to use those picks to bring in some veteran help.

"I think it's unlikely we bring in three rookies to the Suns next year," general manager Ryan McDonough told ArizonaSports.com. "We obviously have Alex Len and Archie Goodwin ... it's tough to develop rookies and also try to win a lot of games."

McDonough added: "Our preference would be, as I said when I arrived, to trade for a star if we can do that. We feel like we've traded for some pretty good players in Eric Bledsoe and Miles Plumlee. Gerald Green also played a big role for us this year. But, we're going to continue to explore the trade market."

McDonough's biggest need is to upgrade the small forward position and that will be his focus in the draft and with trade scenarios. The Suns should also have plenty of salary cap room in July, so they can improve the roster via free agency, too.


Hopefully we can help facilitate something with the Suns because, unlike them, we sure could use another 1st round pick, even if it's a late round pick.


Pau in a sign and trade for the 27th and our 2015 first rounder back. But this begs the question: If this is what they're thinking now, why didn't Pau for Okafor and the 27th happen at the deadline?
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9042
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby trodgers on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Cheap(ish) players who can contribute we could look to add? We're going to need bodies in that lineup...

PG
Shaun Livingston
Jerryd Bayless
Jimmer Fredette
Aaron Brooks

WING
Danny Granger
Thabo Sefolosha
Mike Miller

BIG
Emeka Okafor
DeJuan Blair
Andray Blatche
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46604
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby revgen on Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:43 pm

I like Sefolosha. But I think the Thunder will keep him. Granger may make more $$$ next season if he plays well for the Clips. I don't know if we'll match. Livingston would be a nice addition if we keep Pau and Kaman. He's tall enough to throw nice post-entry passes without the pass being picked off. Solid defender too.

As far as the cheap bigs go, I'm not interested. I'd rather get a young guy or keep Sacre.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21729
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby karacha on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:13 pm

I pretty much agree with revgen. :beer:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37471
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby trodgers on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:28 pm

We can't just roll with Love and Sacre though!
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46604
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:36 pm

It's a shame that we will already have a log jam at PG with Nash, Kendall, and more than likely Farmar coming back to the Lakers because I really love Shawn Livingston's game. He's an excellent defender with his long arms and has a great mid-range game with the ability to post opposing team's PG up as well.
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11695
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby trodgers on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:50 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:It's a shame that we will already have a log jam at PG with Nash, Kendall, and more than likely Farmar coming back to the Lakers because I really love Shawn Livingston's game. He's an excellent defender with his long arms and has a great mid-range game with the ability to post opposing team's PG up as well.

Maybe Nash will come to his senses...
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46604
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Center Court on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:43 pm

trodgers wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:It's a shame that we will already have a log jam at PG with Nash, Kendall, and more than likely Farmar coming back to the Lakers because I really love Shawn Livingston's game. He's an excellent defender with his long arms and has a great mid-range game with the ability to post opposing team's PG up as well.

Maybe Nash will come to his senses...


Probably not. Can't blame him though.

Besides,(gut tells me) we're drafting Exum so it'd be a nice little university style education with Kobe and Nash
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:03 pm

trodgers wrote:Cheap(ish) players who can contribute we could look to add? We're going to need bodies in that lineup...

PG
Shaun Livingston
Jerryd Bayless
Jimmer Fredette
Aaron Brooks

WING
Danny Granger
Thabo Sefolosha
Mike Miller

BIG
Emeka Okafor
DeJuan Blair
Andray Blatche


Was it you that did a thread in past years looking at all the potential free agents team by team?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19455
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:03 pm

Pau for the 18th, and draft Napier.

They wouldn't offer squat when they thought we were desperate to unload Pau. Now if they're desperate to unload a pick, we can turnabout with fair play. :man12:
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: Hollywood

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:12 pm

:bow:
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: Hollywood

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Rooscooter and 17 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.