Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby abeer3 on Wed May 14, 2014 8:04 am

given the FA market, I'd totally consider boozer and the 16 for cap space this year. the problem is that the deal couldn't take place before the draft, right? the lakers don't officially have cap space until july. thus, I can't see this happening in a way that gets the lakers the ability to pick the player they want. they'd have to like who Chicago picked already.
abeer3

Postby SK8 on Wed May 14, 2014 10:09 am

Twitter is blowing up with Greg Monroe, looks like Pistons will let him go...hmmm :man1:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Punk-101 on Wed May 14, 2014 10:40 am

abeer3 wrote:given the FA market, I'd totally consider boozer and the 16 for cap space this year. the problem is that the deal couldn't take place before the draft, right? the lakers don't officially have cap space until july. thus, I can't see this happening in a way that gets the lakers the ability to pick the player they want. they'd have to like who Chicago picked already.

Handshake&wink deals happen at times, I think, where Mitch would tell Chi; "if you draft player X, we have a deal in a couple weeks when we get the cap space."
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed May 14, 2014 10:43 am

therealdeal wrote:The whole point is that they want to shed salary to clear room for Carmelo. They aren't going to take any contract back.

What I don't get is why they are trying to trade Boozer to clear room. They need to be trying to unload like Dunleavy and Jimmy Butler, then amnesty Boozer. Boozer is one of the last remaining players that can be amnestied. I don't know that JUST trading Boozer clears up the room needed for Carmelo. That would only leave like 15 million for Carmelo. I think they need to try and find takers for Dunleavy and Butler (both expirings) or maybe even Taj Gibson. Then they amnesty Boozer to clear the big chunk. I would gladly take Dunleavy and Butler if it meant getting the 16th pick to use on Napier. Dunleavy and Butler could be two solid contributors. Say we get Randle in the draft...resign Pau to a BIG one year deal.

Pau/Sacre/Hill
Randle/Hill/Kelly
Dunleavy/Young
Kobe/Butler
Napier/Marshall/Nash

We could do far, far worse. And that team would have a max slot available for next offseason.
Savory Griddles

Postby LakersN4 on Wed May 14, 2014 11:56 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
therealdeal wrote:The whole point is that they want to shed salary to clear room for Carmelo. They aren't going to take any contract back.

What I don't get is why they are trying to trade Boozer to clear room. They need to be trying to unload like Dunleavy and Jimmy Butler, then amnesty Boozer. Boozer is one of the last remaining players that can be amnestied. I don't know that JUST trading Boozer clears up the room needed for Carmelo. That would only leave like 15 million for Carmelo. I think they need to try and find takers for Dunleavy and Butler (both expirings) or maybe even Taj Gibson. Then they amnesty Boozer to clear the big chunk. I would gladly take Dunleavy and Butler if it meant getting the 16th pick to use on Napier. Dunleavy and Butler could be two solid contributors. Say we get Randle in the draft...resign Pau to a BIG one year deal.

Pau/Sacre/Hill
Randle/Hill/Kelly
Dunleavy/Young
Kobe/Butler
Napier/Marshall/Nash

We could do far, far worse. And that team would have a max slot available for next offseason.

They have an extremely cheap owner who doesn't want to pay Boozer to play for someone else.. They will give up value to trade him before even considering using amnesty as a last resort. & Butler is the last player on that roster that they will trade.. They will dump Gibson with Boozer before giving up Butler on his rookie contract.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 14, 2014 12:19 pm

^ That. Amnesty makes sense from the outside, but they still have to PAY Boozer that money it just doesn't count against the cap. Their owner has made it known that he's not going to pay one of their higher paid players to go perform somewhere else. That's understandable.

Now they'll have to shed salary the old fashioned way: trade away assets to clear space for Carmelo. That would mean Boozer and Gibson and maybe even a couple smaller deals if they had to. Certainly not Butler though. They love that guy.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed May 14, 2014 12:30 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ That. Amnesty makes sense from the outside, but they still have to PAY Boozer that money it just doesn't count against the cap. Their owner has made it known that he's not going to pay one of their higher paid players to go perform somewhere else. That's understandable.

Now they'll have to shed salary the old fashioned way: trade away assets to clear space for Carmelo. That would mean Boozer and Gibson and maybe even a couple smaller deals if they had to. Certainly not Butler though. They love that guy.

Then it'd have to be Boozer and Dunleavy because no one would take Gibson I doubt. He still has three more years. Would 18 million or so be enough to land Carmelo?

Would you take Boozer and Dunleavy if it meant the 16th pick? You'd be essentially locking in our team as:

Sacre/?
Boozer/?
Dunleavy/Young
Kobe/Young
Smart(?)/Marshall/Nash
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 14, 2014 12:35 pm

I might. I would also not draft Smart. I'd rather have a more dynamic player, one with a higher ceiling. If I absolutely have to draft the 6th pick (meaning no Exum, Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, or Randle) then I'll take Vonleh I guess or maybe Gordon. I like Gordon, just not as a legitimate star.

I'd certainly take Boozer, Dunleavy, AND Gibson if it meant getting Thibodeau. Gibson isn't a slouch, the guy is a pretty decent player. He's just got a long contract is all.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:43 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ That. Amnesty makes sense from the outside, but they still have to PAY Boozer that money it just doesn't count against the cap. Their owner has made it known that he's not going to pay one of their higher paid players to go perform somewhere else. That's understandable.

Then it'd have to be Boozer and Dunleavy because no one would take Gibson I doubt. He still has three more years. Would 18 million or so be enough to land Carmelo?

Would you take Boozer and Dunleavy if it meant the 16th pick? You'd be essentially locking in our team as:

Sacre/?
Boozer/?
Dunleavy/Young
Kobe/Young
Smart(?)/Marshall/Nash

I would if we had a wink wink deal with them to also give us Thibs for a couple future 2nd rounders. They can recruit Melo & let him pick the coach of his choice.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 14, 2014 12:52 pm

The Lakers are the other team most frequently mentioned among league executives when it comes to Monroe. If L.A. does not make any splashy moves around the draft, and if the Lakers are ready to concede that Carmelo Anthony is not coming, then they figure to target young, second-tier free agents—and Monroe is at the head of that list. Sporting News - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.jAmVSjLz.dpuf
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Do the Lakers still want Melo? I thought there were plenty of quotes from Mitch about not mortgaging the future (Love/Durant) for any FAs this summer? I want to go the Monroe route, personally.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 14, 2014 12:58 pm

Punk-101 wrote:Do the Lakers still want Melo? I thought there were plenty of quotes from Mitch about not mortgaging the future (Love/Durant) for any FAs this summer? I want to go the Monroe route, personally.

So do I, but I think the Lakers are still leaving the door cracked on trying to land a top guy like LeBron or Carmelo. Steve's contract really hurts us in that regard (thanks Mr. Nash).
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed May 14, 2014 1:06 pm

therealdeal wrote:
The Lakers are the other team most frequently mentioned among league executives when it comes to Monroe. If L.A. does not make any splashy moves around the draft, and if the Lakers are ready to concede that Carmelo Anthony is not coming, then they figure to target young, second-tier free agents—and Monroe is at the head of that list. Sporting News - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.jAmVSjLz.dpuf

Now, what if Irving becomes available for, let's say, the 2nd pick. If we get the second pick, do we trade it for Irving and sign Monroe? it essentially locks in Irving, Kobe and Monroe as our "Big 3" for the next two years since Love would be out of the question.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 14, 2014 1:29 pm

For the second pick I'd probably hold on to whoever we get.

And I'm not sure the Lakers would pencil in Monroe as their future piece if it meant killing a chance at Durant or Love.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Wed May 14, 2014 1:43 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:Do the Lakers still want Melo? I thought there were plenty of quotes from Mitch about not mortgaging the future (Love/Durant) for any FAs this summer? I want to go the Monroe route, personally.

So do I, but I think the Lakers are still leaving the door cracked on trying to land a top guy like LeBron or Carmelo. Steve's contract really hurts us in that regard (thanks Mr. Nash).

I have a really bad feeling that the FO is going to swing for the fences this summer. How many wins in this roster next year? (Let's assume we somehow get Exum at 6)

Nash/Farmar/Marshall
Exum/Young
Kobe/X or Bazemore/Manny Harris
Melo/Hill/Kelly
Pau/Sacre

Coach: I have a feeling it'll be Byron Scott
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 14, 2014 1:59 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I have a really bad feeling that the FO is going to swing for the fences this summer. How many wins in this roster next year? (Let's assume we somehow get Exum at 6)

Nash/Farmar/Marshall
Exum/Young
Kobe/X or Bazemore/Manny Harris
Melo/Hill/Kelly
Pau/Sacre

Coach: I have a feeling it'll be Byron Scott

I would have agreed with you a few months ago, but now I don't know that Carmelo even wants to come here. There's not much here for him compared to staying in New York or going to Chicago or a dark horse candidate if Wade and Bosh opt out: Miami.

As for the coach, I'm getting the same feeling but I'm not really that upset about it. I feel like Scott would be good for a young player, Kobe likes him, he's had some success before. I think he'd be a feel good pick. Especially if Ollie and Thibodeau are off the market.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Wed May 14, 2014 2:09 pm

^^

how many wins is that roster, just for s***s and giggles?
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 14, 2014 2:15 pm

Probably 45+ I would think if everyone stayed healthy. The offense would be explosive but they wouldn't stop a damn team. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed May 14, 2014 3:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:Probably 45+ I would think if everyone stayed healthy. The offense would be explosive but they wouldn't stop a damn team. :man10:

Yeah. I might go as high as 50, but can you imagine our interior defense with Melo and Pau "patrolling the paint." Nash standing out at the top of the key like a traffic cone. Kobe and Exum overcommitting on steals and getting torched. :man10:

We could have Thibs coaching defense and we'd still give up 100+ a game.
Savory Griddles

Postby karacha on Wed May 14, 2014 3:46 pm

Punk-101 wrote:^^

how many wins is that roster, just for s***s and giggles?

50, if they are healthy and Exum can contribute right away. But the defense... oh man...
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Probably 45+ I would think if everyone stayed healthy. The offense would be explosive but they wouldn't stop a damn team. :man10:

Yeah. I might go as high as 50, but can you imagine our interior defense with Melo and Pau "patrolling the paint." Nash standing out at the top of the key like a traffic cone. Kobe and Exum overcommitting on steals and getting torched. :man10:

We could have Thibs coaching defense and we'd still give up 100+ a game.

Yeah it'd be a nightmare. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Thu May 15, 2014 5:44 am

Our transition D will be worse than it was with Dwight/Pau if we get Monroe & keep Pau.. Monroe is Pau with a less potent post game & worse defense.. I really hope we don't waste our cap space on him. I'm not that worried about it though.. No way we acquire all of this cap space just to blow it on Greg Monroe.. They will either go after a star like Melo or give out big 1 year deals to have cap space to go after a star next summer.

Also to those bashing the Melo/Pau lineup.. Melo is a better defender than Monroe.
LakersN4

Postby LakersN4 on Thu May 15, 2014 6:46 am

Blazers fans are hoping they can dump Batum's contract to re-sign LMA & add to their bench.. Hopefully their FO has the same idea.. I'd love to steal Batum for a TPE.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Thu May 15, 2014 9:32 am

Marc J. Spears: Former Cavaliers coach Mike Brown plans on taking next season off and doesn't plan on pursuing any coaching opening right now, a source said Twitter - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.l3cpijS6.dpuf
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Thu May 15, 2014 11:08 am

Dante Exum :jam2:
Ariza3

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion