Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:34 am

According to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News, "Anthony hasn't wavered from his year-long intent to become a free agent on July 1st despite Phil Jackson's hopes to keep Anthony under contract through the 2014-15 season."

More to the point, Isola adds: "Barring a dramatic change of heart, Anthony will opt out of his contact and become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st, the Daily News has learned."

This wouldn't rule out Anthony from staying with the Knicks, but in order for New York to retain him it'd mean locking him up to a new long-term deal. If Anthony becomes a free agent, it'd open the door for teams like Miami to make a run at him; ESPN's Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein reported Thursday that the Heat are prepared to pursue the star forward in free agency.

What other teams could be in the mix for Anthony?

This is straight from the Windhorst and Stein report:
"Chicago, Houston and Dallas are teams Anthony will consider starting July 1, sources say, if the 30-year-old does decide to become a free agent this summer. But it's believed the opportunity to join James in Miami would trump all other options, especially after Anthony made it a point earlier this season in an interview for NBA TV to say how "smart" James was to join forces with Wade and Bosh when he did."
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:37 am

:man10:

I guess we're out!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:02 am

^Yeah, it looks like that...additionally, this was apart of Kevin Ding's column that he has written...

Yes, James is the only potential free agent in this summer's class the Lakers are viewing as a max-salary, home run guy—and their entire approach to their salary-cap space is not to fritter it away on anyone who isn't a sure thing.

So in that sense, talking about James and the Lakers isn't without basis. But waiting to hire a coach until after the opening of free agency on July 1, which the Lakers still might not do if they decide they don't have the right candidate, is geared more toward seeing what quality players might take the one-year contracts the Lakers will be offering than seeing if James comes.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2094 ... omplicated
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:05 am

Yea. Screw building a team. :jam2:

1 year contracts until we get a superstar.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:13 am

I don't think they mean one or the other. I would guess that Mitch will look for the players he wants, pay them what he wants to, and if they won't take that money then he'll move on.

For instance, if we want Monroe and we offer him something less than the max (but more than Detroit wants to sign him for) and he wants more, then Mitch won't pay it (even if someone else will).

At least I think that's what's happening...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:13 am

Doc Brown wrote:Yea. Screw building a team. :jam2:

Beats wasting 13-15 on Monroe or 10-12 on Stephenson.
LakersN4

Postby trodgers on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:35 am

Melo to Chicago makes some players expendable...and gives us a shot to "aid" them and take their pick.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:52 am

LakersN4 wrote:

I think there's middle ground to this. I agree that we can't just keep doing one year rentals, but I don't think that means that because we have money we have to spend it. Successful teams don't overpay, especially in this new CBA. Tell me the Thunder aren't pushing the Spurs further if they have that money in Perkins wrapped up in someone else. I'm not saying there can't be ANY dead weight on a roster, but if you're going to be paying 12-15 million on a second tier dude, you better have a superstar on a rookie contract. If we had Wiggins or Embiid, I might be more inclined to overspend a bit since we would likely be getting a superstar at 5 million for a few years. But I don't see Smart/Gordon/Randle/Vonleh being superstars.
Savory Griddles

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:55 am

trodgers wrote:Melo to Chicago makes some players expendable...and gives us a shot to "aid" them and take their pick.

This is my dream scenario. We take on Boozer for their 16th pick and use it on Elfrid Payton. Use that 7th pick on Randle or Vonleh. Come out of the draft with two solid pieces in positions of need. Even if neither ends up being a star, if we get two top 15 players at their respective positions, We fill in around that with free agent stars, or use them as trade pieces.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:57 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
trodgers wrote:Melo to Chicago makes some players expendable...and gives us a shot to "aid" them and take their pick.

This is my dream scenario. We take on Boozer for their 16th pick and use it on Elfrid Payton. Use that 7th pick on Randle or Vonleh. Come out of the draft with two solid pieces in positions of need. Even if neither ends up being a star, if we get two top 15 players at their respective positions, We fill in around that with free agent stars, or use them as trade pieces.

Randle and Boozer on the same team? Yikes. You can't start both of them. Randle probably deserves to start, but that's a lot of money on the bench. If Randle is on the bench then that's time wasting on a great rookie prospect.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:00 am

LakersN4 wrote:

Having those two trumps having a 30 year old Melo on your team for the next 4-5 years at over 20 million.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:06 am

therealdeal wrote:I don't think they mean one or the other. I would guess that Mitch will look for the players he wants, pay them what he wants to, and if they won't take that money then he'll move on.

For instance, if we want Monroe and we offer him something less than the max (but more than Detroit wants to sign him for) and he wants more, then Mitch won't pay it (even if someone else will).

That really doesn't change anything I said. Putting out below market offers for players that could get paid more elsewhere isn't going to attract anyone to a team in rebuild.

If he doesn't pay what others are, we are going to be rolling with another crew of 1 year rentals.
Doc Brown

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:07 am

therealdeal wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:

Randle and Boozer on the same team? Yikes. You can't start both of them. Randle probably deserves to start, but that's a lot of money on the bench. If Randle is on the bench then that's time wasting on a great rookie prospect.
I'm not looking at it as "money on the bench." We aren't doing much next year anyway. 8th seed is a lofty goal at this point. But if taking on Boozer for a year gives us another young pup who could be special (Elfrid Payton), we have to jump at the chance. Cheap assets are something this team lacks. Whether Payton/Randle ends up being our 1/4 combo for the next ten years, or we move one of them for another good player, we can't rely on cap space as our only method of talent acquisition.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:14 am

Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I don't think they mean one or the other. I would guess that Mitch will look for the players he wants, pay them what he wants to, and if they won't take that money then he'll move on.

That really doesn't change anything I said. Putting out below market offers for players that could get paid more elsewhere isn't going to attract anyone to a team in rebuild.

If he doesn't pay what others are, we are going to be rolling with another crew of 1 year rentals.

the Mavericks were able to get Monta Ellis on a reasonable deal. That's the kind of player/contract that I think Mitch will look to get. If he can't, then I'm guessing he does what we all don't want him to do and that's wait and save the money.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:18 am

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

the Mavericks were able to get Monta Ellis on a reasonable deal. That's the kind of player/contract that I think Mitch will look to get. If he can't, then I'm guessing he does what we all don't want him to do and that's wait and save the money.

I don't want him to sit on it, but I do want him to try and get another draft pick by taking on a bad one-year contract. :man12: Believe me, if we could just buy one for 3 million cash and then sign Stepheson for like 8-9 million, I'd be interested. But picks in this draft are going to cost you.
Savory Griddles

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:27 am

Honestly, I don't even want this team to make the playoffs this year. It would be better to acquire several young players who we want to develop and let them play the season out and just evaluate them. And get another lottery pick next year and continue to add young talent. Do this for a couple of years. Making the 8th seed with Kobe and Melo is absolutely pointless.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby trodgers on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:31 am

Boozer to this team cripples us unless we move Nash in the same deal or get him out some other way. Don't really want Gibson either. But those are clearly their two most obvious resources for ditching some salary.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:36 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:Honestly, I don't even want this team to make the playoffs this year. It would be better to acquire several young players who we want to develop and let them play the season out and just evaluate them. And get another lottery pick next year and continue to add young talent. Do this for a couple of years. Making the 8th seed with Kobe and Melo is absolutely pointless.

Next years pick is only top 5 protected meaning we really have to suck to keep it. If we finish bottom five, it probably means Kobe got reinjured and our 7th pick was a bust.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:38 am

Savory Griddles wrote:I don't want him to sit on it, but I do want him to try and get another draft pick by taking on a bad one-year contract. :man12: Believe me, if we could just buy one for 3 million cash and then sign Stepheson for like 8-9 million, I'd be interested. But picks in this draft are going to cost you.

I'm with you. I think some picks could be for sale, but I agree it's more likely we'd have to take back a bad contract. I'm also with the plan to go get a guy like Stephenson who is a risky player, but on a good contract could really impact our team.

If we came out of this summer with something like Randle/Stephenson/Another Rookie and nothing else but 1 year deals, then I'm with it. Build slowly, that's fine, but you have to build.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:39 am

trodgers wrote:Boozer to this team cripples us unless we move Nash in the same deal or get him out some other way. Don't really want Gibson either. But those are clearly their two most obvious resources for ditching some salary.

How does it cripple us? Boozer expires next season. It only cripples us if we are going after Monroe, Sttephenson or Bledsoe.
Savory Griddles

Postby trodgers on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:44 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
trodgers wrote:Boozer to this team cripples us unless we move Nash in the same deal or get him out some other way. Don't really want Gibson either. But those are clearly their two most obvious resources for ditching some salary.

How does it cripple us? Boozer expires next season. It only cripples us if we are going after Monroe, Sttephenson or Bledsoe.

Because we should be going after one of them - namely Stephenson.
The team we put together with Stephenson and our pick and cap space looks much more appealing than a team sending off Boozer and with no Stephenson. It's all about packaging.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:47 am

therealdeal wrote:the Mavericks were able to get Monta Ellis on a reasonable deal. That's the kind of player/contract that I think Mitch will look to get. If he can't, then I'm guessing he does what we all don't want him to do and that's wait and save the money.

Reasonable deal = Market value in this case. He opted out of his deal with the Bucks because he thought he was going to get over 12 million a year. No one was touching him over 10 million.

If Stephenson is going for 8 million and we don't jump in on that. I'd be pretty disappointed.
Last edited by Doc Brown on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Brown

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:48 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:Honestly, I don't even want this team to make the playoffs this year. It would be better to acquire several young players who we want to develop and let them play the season out and just evaluate them. And get another lottery pick next year and continue to add young talent. Do this for a couple of years. Making the 8th seed with Kobe and Melo is absolutely pointless.

Next years pick is only top 5 protected meaning we really have to suck to keep it. If we finish bottom five, it probably means Kobe got reinjured and our 7th pick was a bust.

My point is, we shouldn't try to win now and make the 8th seed only to be eliminated in round 1. That's really pointless. Our only focus should be to acquire young talent to gear up for a run in a few years. Playing the young players we have and evaluating them has two benefits. We get to evaluate our talent and we probably have a bad record. We really set ourselves back by mortgaging the future for years. Now it's a slow process to build back up. It's the time to make the right decisions.

Not trading Pau was a huge mistake. It's the little things that add up.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:10 am

Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:the Mavericks were able to get Monta Ellis on a reasonable deal. That's the kind of player/contract that I think Mitch will look to get. If he can't, then I'm guessing he does what we all don't want him to do and that's wait and save the money.

Reasonable deal = Market value in this case. He opted out of his deal with the Bucks because he thought he was going to get over 12 million a year. No one was touching him over 10 million.

If Stephenson is going for 8 million and we don't jump in on that. I'd be pretty disappointed.

Same. I think we're pretty much on the same page. If Monroe or Bledsoe go for less than the max, I'll be disappointed as well. Not that we need all of those guys, but we should get one of them if none of them go over value.

Stephenson for 8. Monroe for 10-12. Bledsoe for 10-12. One of those should be ours. If they all go over that, then I'm probably okay with saving the money instead of paying for what is left. (Maybe Deng for 7-8 or so, but I'm iffy on that).
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:20 am

I'm firmly in the don't overpay camp. Doing so is really punishment under the current CBA and Mitch is to be commended for not wanting to go there.

As far as spending on Stephenson, Monroe or Bledsoe, I'd only be looking at Monroe and I wouldn't be looking to pay him max. Bledsoe is nice, but not worth $12m; his ceiling is 3rd or 4th best player on a title team, don't want to be paying a guy like that $10m or more unless and until the Lakers have the 2nd certifiable superstar next to Kobe. And Bledsoe is *not* that guy. By the same token, I'm not sold on Stephenson either. $8m would be the very most I'd pay him, he wants more, he can get it somewhere else. The point is don't be eating the cap with perimeter based players before the team has a paint presence.

Which is where Monroe comes in. Get Randle at 7, put Monroe next to him, that's a viable front court pairing and would definitely be worth looking at.

My take is good bigs are far more essential to championship title hopes than good smalls. And so sorry, that's all Bledsoe and Stephenson are, good smalls, not great ones. Got to get the big superstar to put next to Kobe first, then fill in around the two of them and the #7 pick. I'm good with rentals until then.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion