Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:25 am

karacha wrote:Love him, or hate him, LA is the perfect city for Bron. He is a supremely talented athlete, no question, but my impression is that he plays basketball mainly to help him develop and improve his brand. He's a businessman first. In that sense, LA is the place for him.

However, Kobe is a problem. Well, not him personally, because they played together just fine -- but that contract is just too big.

Yeah I think Kobe is a perfect for him actually. A guy to keep him sharp, keep him honest... then take over in the 4th when LeBron gets scared to do it. Kobe is what Wade was supposed to be. The problem then is where is Bosh? Is it Gasol? I don't know, but I doubt it. Especially since we won't have enough to pay LeBron AND someone.

That Kobe contract is really annoying. If Kobe doesn't break his damn knee, then the world knows he's fine. Then it's not so far fetched to think a star might come here to join him. Now though he looks fragile and our situation looks precarious. Not to mention his contract gets in the way.

I'm less mad at Kobe though than Nash. Nash's 10 million is what's really killing us. If Nash didn't exist we have ample space to add LeBron AND a good player to fit with both of them (maybe Gasol, maybe Bosh takes a big cut).

We'll see. I think LeBron bides his time and stays another year. Sits it out and then sees what the landscape is like next summer. If he opts in, I expect the Lakers to try to make a play for Boozer/Pick(s).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Damian Necronamous on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:32 am

This is a crazy idea so somebody needs smack me in the head or something, but what if...what if...

We pulled a "Pat Riley" and were able to convince both Carmelo and LeBron to team up with Kobe next year?

We could sit them down in a room with Kobe, and offer them $85M/4years each. We'd have to fill out the roster with minimum guys, but just like in Miami, people would come to play with that team.

If they agreed to it, we could quickly deal Nash and the rights to whomever we take at #7 to a team with cap room for future picks (76ers). Assuming the cap comes in at $63M, that would leave us with around $38M in space if we renounce every free agent.
Damian Necronamous

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:52 am

Damian Necronamous wrote:This is a crazy idea so somebody needs smack me in the head or something, but what if...what if...

We pulled a "Pat Riley" and were able to convince both Carmelo and LeBron to team up with Kobe next year?

We could sit them down in a room with Kobe, and offer them $85M/4years each. We'd have to fill out the roster with minimum guys, but just like in Miami, people would come to play with that team.

If they agreed to it, we could quickly deal Nash and the rights to whomever we take at #7 to a team with cap room for future picks (76ers). Assuming the cap comes in at $63M, that would leave us with around $38M in space if we renounce every free agent.

It's not crazy. It's a possibility and I'm sure it's one that the Lakers have thought about and will try to accomplish. I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to pull this off. The problem would be having LeBron opt out this season and then convincing him to play second fiddle (or at least publicly do so) to appease Kobe's ego. It would be much like the 2011 season with Wade except Kobe is the real thing and Wade is a pretender.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:57 am

Is there a date by which we have to use the stretch provision? It makes the most sense to get Nash completely off the books next season, but I'll take the cap hit if that ~ $6 million helps bring Lebron.
Helljumper

Postby khmrP on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:01 am

I'm sure we can dump Nash with 7th and still get a pick back in return if thats the route mgmt. wants to pursue this year.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:03 am

Helljumper wrote:Is there a date by which we have to use the stretch provision? It makes the most sense to get Nash completely off the books next season, but I'll take the cap hit if that ~ $6 million helps bring Lebron.

I don't know the answer to that, but we don't really need to stretch Nash to get LeBron if we want him... Stretching Nash gets us an extra 6 million sure but I'm not sure it's all that important. Kobe gets his 23.5, LeBron gets his 22.4 million. There's about 4 million you use for a nice piece willing to take less. Then you let Nash expire and use his contract next season for a guy worth about 10 million (for the cap space adjustment). I think that's better than trying to grab guys this summer around them that aren't as talented.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:05 am

Damian Necronamous wrote:This is a crazy idea so somebody needs smack me in the head or something...

It's not crazy at all.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:11 am

Damian Necronamous wrote:This is a crazy idea so somebody needs smack me in the head or something, but what if...what if...

This would be amazing. Hopefully we pull it off.. Will suck to give away the pick but small price to pay to be in the finals next season.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:16 am

LakersN4 wrote:

This would be amazing. Hopefully we pull it off.. Will suck to give away the pick but small price to pay to be in the finals next season.

Yeah I mean we could always try to buy a pick too. This type of move wouldn't happen until after the draft I'd think anyway. Trade Nash/#7 for #10 from Philly or #14 from the Suns or #20 from the Raptors. I think there's probably a market there. Then you've still got your 1st round pick to develop through with the other three stars.

Far fetched scenario that this is, it's fun to think about.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby unpossibl1 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Interesting idea, but not sure that it will happen. There is no guarantee that Kobe will be anywhere near an all-star level next year, and the West is insanely tough. I would think LeBron and Melo would rather find a home in the East where they can cruise to the finals.
unpossibl1

Postby khmrP on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:21 pm

unpossibl1 wrote:Interesting idea, but not sure that it will happen. There is no guarantee that Kobe will be anywhere near an all-star level next year, and the West is insanely tough. I would think LeBron and Melo would rather find a home in the East where they can cruise to the finals.

nobody in the east at this moment has that ability except Mia and thats only if everybody is taking massive paycuts (which is possible).
khmrP

Postby Savory Griddles on Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:51 pm

I think Lebron realizes the reason the Heat lost was because of the lack of depth behind, him, Bosh and a crippled Wade. I don't think he believes swapping out Melo for Bosh and a 36 year old Kobe coming off two injuries for Wade is the "upgrade" he needs to compete. Add to that the fact that West is a ridiculous gauntlet,

Why does he come to the Lakers again?
Savory Griddles

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Even shrinking turd is smart enough to realize the competition is too stiff out West. Luckily that should be enough to keep him far, far away from this prestigious organization.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Lakers79 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:36 am

trodgers wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:That video shows two things.... horrible competition and basically no effort on defense. While he was a little impressive it was agains far inferior competition. Most of that stuff under the backed would result in a "Wilsonburger" in the NBA.....

And the fact that they cheered as loudly after every bucket as NBA fans do after game winners. That was cool.

Re: Mbakwe - look out, y'all.

Re: Kevin Love - that was hilarious.

Totally agree with the comment about the competition, Mbakwe did show good instincts on d with the blocks, whether stationary or on the move, and good form on his parameter shots, as well as an ability to get into the lanes (lanes which may be fewer and further between in the NBA) nice athleticism (speed, jumping and more importantly, his second jump)...Understanding this was a highlight film, those are nice foundational abilities. Kinda reminds me of watching a young Serge Ibaka, with a nice looking jumper. Reality may prove to me much different though.
Lakers79

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:42 am

I think that Mbakwe kid could be a good NBA player. He's certainly got the size for it. I'm not saying he's a starter or anything, but a guy off the bench to hustle around makes sense. Especially since he'd be a cheap asset.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:52 am

Can You imagine signing both Bron and Melo. Ultimate middle finger to the whole NBA. You stopped us from pairing Kobe with Paul and Howard, now DEAL WITH THIS, Boom :man9:
kenzo

Postby khmrP on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:17 am

kenzo wrote:Can You imagine signing both Bron and Melo. Ultimate middle finger to the whole NBA. You stopped us from pairing Kobe with Paul and Howard, now DEAL WITH THIS, Boom :man9:

its a nice video game fanatasy but you gona need a really good coach/system in order to deal with likes of those 3 and to maximize all of them correctly. Would prefer James and use money from Melo contract on 2 other pieces.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 am

khmrP wrote:
kenzo wrote:Can You imagine signing both Bron and Melo. Ultimate middle finger to the whole NBA. You stopped us from pairing Kobe with Paul and Howard, now DEAL WITH THIS, Boom :man9:

its a nice video game fanatasy but you gona need a really good coach/system in order to deal with likes of those 3 and to maximize all of them correctly. Would prefer James and use money from Melo contract on 2 other pieces.

It's a nice fantasy in general. :man10:

I don't think you need a world-stopping coach, but you certainly need a strong figure. Someone who will stand up to the money.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:16 am

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:

It's a nice fantasy in general. :man10:

I don't think you need a world-stopping coach, but you certainly need a strong figure. Someone who will stand up to the money.

yea I wouldn't be as "oh we bout to kill the league" like the Nash/howard off-season but I would be extreme excited with Melo/James/Kobe and a bunch of fillers :man10:
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:20 am

What's more, the Rockets are planning on trading center Omer Asik and point guard Jeremy Lin as a way of making room for the likes of LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh or any other maximum-salary level caliber player who's available. USA Today Sports - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.xbKjTMWX.dpuf
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:21 am

khmrP wrote:yea I wouldn't be as "oh we bout to kill the league" like the Nash/howard off-season but I would be extreme excited with Melo/James/Kobe and a bunch of fillers :man10:

I would definitely be like "we bout to kill the league". :man10:

If you found a way to get those two (say by trading #7/Nash for #10) then you draft Elfrid Payton, I don't care who your Center is you're going to have a fun team. Payton/Kobe/Carmelo/James/Sacre :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:23 am

do you guys think mgmt. takes that risk or would you guys want them to take that risk of moving Nash with 7th in order for us to have a chance to offer a contract to both Melo and James? I honestly think we could trade Nash/7th to Phi for 10th/a few 2nd rd picks. Phi might really want Randle and I dont think he'll fall to them at 10th as some mocks have shown. Nash would more than likely retire or agree to a buy out rather than waste his rehab for a team like Phi who will probably tank again next season.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:37 am

I think if management got the feeling they could pull it off, they'd pull that trigger without hesitation. LeBron + any other player worth 10 million is better than anything in this draft by a large margin.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:44 am

therealdeal wrote:
What's more, the Rockets are planning on trading center Omer Asik and point guard Jeremy Lin as a way of making room for the likes of LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh or any other maximum-salary level caliber player who's available. USA Today Sports - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.xbKjTMWX.dpuf

I'll take Asik and Lin if it lands us their first rounder this season and a first for next season. Draft Randle.

Asik/Sacre
Randle/Hill
Henry/Young
Kobe/Young
Lin/Marshall

Honestly, that's a pretty solid team. Might sneak into the 8th spot if injuries don't crush us again. Best part is we have a couple more first rounders to package to maybe land Love midseason if he becomes available.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:50 am

I came here to say I'd pass on Lin, but I actually like him. He's got a ton of faults, but he's a gamer. He works hard and he gives what he has on the court. I'd take him and Asik for their #25 and a future pick. They'd be rentals basically and we could actually absorb them without any problems. We waive our Bird Rights on Gasol and Lin/Nash/Kobe/Asik/#7/#25 totals only about 53 million. That leaves almost 10 million to spend. We could conceivably roll into next season:

Nash/Lin/Farmar
Stephenson/Bazemore (or Brooks for trodgers)
Bryant/Young
Randle/#25?/Kelly
Asik/Sacre

That's not a bad team at all. That's an 8th seed team for sure if there's some health there. Maybe more than 8th seed even. Not to mention Lin, Asik, and Nash off the books next year is 26 million dollars off. More than enough to go get Love or Aldridge or Marc Gasol.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion