Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Re: Roster Improvements: addition by subtractions

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:13 am

I suppose so, but with not guarantees that we could attract a FA next summer, I want the best talent we can get THIS summer AND next summer.

I think the Lakers would be willing to take on one more expiring contract like Lin or Asik along with Monroe/Smart or Monroe/Randle though. We want enough space next summer to sign Love, I'm almost positive of that. We could conceivably sign Monroe to a max deal, draft Smart, take on Asik, and still have 3 million left to bring someone like Young back.

Nash/Smart/Bryant/Monroe/Asik could be a realistic starting five for next season. Then 18.75 million comes off the books with Nash/Asik and leaves just enough room to go after Love.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:23 am

therealdeal wrote:I suppose so, but with not guarantees that we could attract a FA next summer, I want the best talent we can get THIS summer AND next summer.

I think the Lakers would be willing to take on one more expiring contract like Lin or Asik along with Monroe/Smart or Monroe/Randle though. We want enough space next summer to sign Love, I'm almost positive of that. We could conceivably sign Monroe to a max deal, draft Smart, take on Asik, and still have 3 million left to bring someone like Young back.

Nash/Smart/Bryant/Monroe/Asik could be a realistic starting five for next season. Then 18.75 million comes off the books with Nash/Asik and leaves just enough room to go after Love.

Monroe makes too much for that to be possible.

Kobe 23.5
Monroe 15.8
Nash 9.7
#7 2.5
Marshall 915k
Sacre 915k
6 minimum cap holds 3M

57.33.. only 6.87 left to spend or take on contracts with.

If we only spend 7-8 on Deng or Stephenson we can. If they get bigger offers than that we could go after Ariza.
LakersN4

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:11 pm

therealdeal wrote:Nash/Smart/Bryant/Monroe/Asik could be a realistic starting five for next season.

For Nash to start he has to be able to play. :man10:
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:54 pm

LakersN4 wrote:Monroe makes too much for that to be possible.

Kobe 23.5
Monroe 15.8
Nash 9.7
#7 2.5
Marshall 915k
Sacre 915k
6 minimum cap holds 3M

If we only spend 7-8 on Deng or Stephenson we can. If they get bigger offers than that we could go after Ariza.

Makes too much to make what possible?...

Asik (or Lin), #7, Kobe, Nash, Monroe, Sacre and Marshall all equal just about 62 million dollars. Then you go into next summer with Kobe, Monroe, #7 and that total is roughly 44 million. That leaves you just around 20 million to play with.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:58 pm

therealdeal wrote:
LakersN4 wrote:Monroe makes too much for that to be possible.

Kobe 23.5
Monroe 15.8
Nash 9.7
#7 2.5
Marshall 915k
Sacre 915k
6 minimum cap holds 3M

Makes too much to make what possible?...

Asik (or Lin), #7, Kobe, Nash, Monroe, Sacre and Marshall all equal just about 62 million dollars. Then you go into next summer with Kobe, Monroe, #7 and that total is roughly 44 million. That leaves you just around 20 million to play with.

I like that scenario...don't forget the cap 'might' be going up next year as well though not much...just speculation, though.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:01 pm

You can't just have 7 players on your roster. There are cap holds for the other remaining spots on the team for 500k.

While those 7 add up to 62 million with the cap holds factored in, one of those moves isn't possible because we don't have the cap room to do it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:03 pm

Doc Brown wrote:You can't just have 7 players on your roster. There are cap holds for the other remaining spots on the team for 500k.

While those 7 add up to 62 million with the cap holds factored in, one of those moves isn't possible because we don't have the cap room to do it.

Shut up...

therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:06 pm

^ :man10:
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:42 pm

No longterm contracts this season. That's all I'm going to say. If someone wants to hook us up with picks to unload an expiring to us, I'm cool with that. I want NOTHING on the books but scraps for 2016. That's the Durant pursuit. You could put together a superteam that season.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Doc Brown wrote:You can't just have 7 players on your roster. There are cap holds for the other remaining spots on the team for 500k.

Right.. See my breakdown above Real.. We'd have 6.87M left to absorb contracts with.. Need 8.4 for even just 1 of Asik or Lin, & that doesn't count the salary of the 25th pick. We can't spend more than 7-8M if we're taking both of the Rockets or Boozer on.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:33 pm

LakersN4 wrote:

Right.. See my breakdown above Real.. We'd have 6.87M left to absorb contracts with.. Need 8.4 for even just 1 of Asik or Lin, & that doesn't count the salary of the 25th pick. We can't spend more than 7-8M if we're taking both of the Rockets or Boozer on.

Yeah I got it, Doc Brown clarified.

I wouldn't want to go that route on second thought anyway. Monroe is more suited for Center play and having him and Asik together wouldn't fit. Hearing that we're in the running for Monroe tells me that the Lakers might not be looking into the routes that we're discussing (taking on exirings + picks).
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:47 pm

Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:No longterm contracts this season. That's all I'm going to say. If someone wants to hook us up with picks to unload an expiring to us, I'm cool with that. I want NOTHING on the books but scraps for 2016. That's the Durant pursuit. You could put together a superteam that season.

Kobe contract comes off the books by then and we couldn't add more than 2 max guys now anyways so there will be room regardless of what we do this summer.
khmrP

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:22 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Shut up...

:man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:21 pm

In light of the Klay rumor & the Chi picks/Boozer to clear space for Melo idea, I thought about how that Chi deal could be improved to land us a good young wing with a better contract situation than Klay.

What about something like Boozer, Gibson, Butler, Dunleavy, 16, 19 for Nash & the 7..

Bulls clear enough cap to go after Melo & bring over Mirotic. Upgrade their picks to a potential core player at 7 on a cheap deal. If Smart & Randle are off the board at 7 that'd be ok for them, as Gordon could come in & become an elite defender in that system.

We get a top 5 wing defender with 2 more years on his rookie contract. Boozer is atleast more productive than Nash to help us make the playoffs this year. A very good defensive big in Gibson who is locked in for 3 more years at 8M 8.5 8.95.. Doesn't make too much to prevent us from adding a max FA next summer. Should get 2 rookies with a chance to be steals.. 4 solid players locked in without sacrificing our financial flexibility. A very good start to a rebuild.
LakersN4

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:36 pm

LakersN4 wrote:In light of the Klay rumor & the Chi picks/Boozer to clear space for Melo idea, I thought about how that Chi deal could be improved to land us a good young wing with a better contract situation than Klay.

What about something like Boozer, Gibson, Butler, Dunleavy, 16, 19 for Nash & the 7..

Bulls clear enough cap to go after Melo & bring over Mirotic. Upgrade their picks to a potential core player at 7 on a cheap deal. If Smart & Randle are off the board at 7 that'd be ok for them, as Gordon could come in & become an elite defender in that system.

We get a top 5 wing defender with 2 more years on his rookie contract. Boozer is atleast more productive than Nash to help us make the playoffs this year. A very good defensive big in Gibson who is locked in for 3 more years at 8M 8.5 8.95.. Doesn't make too much to prevent us from adding a max FA next summer. Should get 2 rookies with a chance to be steals.. 4 solid players locked in without sacrificing our financial flexibility. A very good start to a rebuild.

(face palm)... Not in any universe would that trade go down.
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:10 am

Yeah they'd gut half their assets for their Championship run. You might have a shot at Butler or Gibson, but then you're not getting the picks. You can definitely take on Boozer, but they're not going to take on Nash.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:01 am

The Boozer #16 & #19 for cap space has already been discussed at length.. I just added Butler/Gibson/Dunleavy for #7 & Nash to save them additional $ & get us out of the dead contract of Nash.. I obviously had a bit too much to drink last night :man10:
LakersN4

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:28 pm

LakersN4 wrote:The Boozer #16 & #19 for cap space has already been discussed at length.. I just added Butler/Gibson/Dunleavy for #7 & Nash to save them additional $ & get us out of the dead contract of Nash.. I obviously had a bit too much to drink last night :man10:

lol
Battle Tested20

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:05 pm

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 6m
Suns' Channing Frye has 'til Monday to decide to play next season at $6.8 mil w/PHX or opt out. Source: "99 percent" he chooses free agency
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

PHX is going to have a lot of cap space. Bledsoe isn't going anywhere.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby trodgers on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Um...but how do we rent him and take their pick if he doesn't opt in?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JSM on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:17 pm

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2h

As stretch four with big role in Suns' surprising season, Frye said to be on radar of both Warriors & Cavs if he indeed opts for free agency
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:27 pm

Two NBA executives, when asked where they thought Minnesota star forward Kevin Love would end up, said the Los Angeles Lakers — even though Golden State appears to be the front-runners for his services.
http://journaltimes.com/sports/bucks/bu ... f887a.html
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:31 pm

I'm really interested to see how we pull that off. We have the least amount of assets out of any of the teams that have been linked to Love.

Maybe the Spanish connection is too good to pass up. Or they are willing to take our lesser offer if we take back junk like Martin that they are trying to attach to Love.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I'm really interested to see how we pull that off. We have the least amount of assets out of any of the teams that have been linked to Love.

Maybe the Spanish connection is too good to pass up. Or they are willing to take our lesser offer if we take back junk like Martin that they are trying to attach to Love.

The only way I can see that making sense is if we take on Pekovic or Martin along with Shabazz Muhammad. I just don't think we have the assets to make it work.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:47 pm

I'd rather take the chance and wait a year than take on the injury prone Pek or the more expensive option to a Nick Young in Martin.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion