Roster Restart: where it stands now & for the future

Re: Roster Restart: where it stands now & for the future

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:31 pm

There's still teams with money to spend on the remaining FA....

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-nba-free-agent-dollars-drying-up/
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:37 pm

Doc Brown wrote:There's still teams with money to spend on the remaining FA....

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-nba-free-agent-dollars-drying-up/

The Hawks maybe for Mo might be a good fit?

They say Dallas still has their Room exception, but Nelson is about to eat into that.

Houston would probably be a good fit for him, but man that'd be a weird transition after their playoff battle. :man10:

Oklahoma would be an interesting fit too.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Well that article was last updated 2 days ago and Nelson signed an hour ago.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Well that article was last updated 2 days ago and Nelson signed an hour ago.

Makes sense because Boston used part of their MLE on ET 2 days ago & it isn't updated.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:56 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Well that article was last updated 2 days ago and Nelson signed an hour ago.

I understand that, just writing what I'm thinking.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:40 pm

were def going to miss Meeks' scoring and shooting this season. Having X get more minutes at the backup 2 will be nice though.
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:52 pm

We'll have Kobe and Lin. I think we'll be alright.

I think the only thing we'll miss about Meeks is his 3 point range. Right now we've got nobody on the team with the ability to catch-and-shoot from behind the 3 point line. At least not the way he could. Wes? Lin? Henry? Not known as catch-and-shoot 3 point shooters.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:21 pm

Meeks sucked next to Kobe anyway.. Only way we'll miss Meeks is if Kobe misses significant time or is done.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Marc Stein: ESPN sources say that Omri Casspi, in a surprise, has just cleared waivers and is a free agent. With Casspi on a favorable minimum contract, expectation was that he'd be claimed, with Sacramento among the teams expected to put in a bid Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Steve Kyler: When Casspi was traded, sources close to him listed Kings, Mavericks, Knicks and Lakers as possible spots if he cleared waivers. Twitter @stevekylerNBA - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.VohvItUS.dpuf

Expected to go back to the Kings though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:57 pm

Marc Stein: ESPN sources say Omri Casspi is finalizing a one-year contract at league min. with Sacramento tonight after clearing waivers earlier Friday Twitter @ESPNSteinLine - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.ejcCCCCz.dpuf

Marc Stein: Kings drafted Casspi in first round in 2009 and will bring him back now on one-year deal that should also allow them to hang onto Quincy Acy Twitter @ESPNSteinLine - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.ejcCCCCz.dpuf

When Luke Ridnour joined the Seattle SuperSonics as a rookie in 2003, veterans Brent Barry and Ray Allen helped him make the transition to the NBA. "It's crazy how fast it goes," Ridnour said. "And now I'm that guy for some younger guys." The Orlando Magic hope Ridnour can influence second-year guard Victor Oladipo and rookie guard Elfrid Payton just like Barry and Allen helped him 11 years ago. The Magic signed Ridnour, a pass-first point guard, to a two-year contract Friday. Orlando Sentinel - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.ejcCCCCz.dpuf
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Maybe we can get Critter for cheap.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:26 pm

Mo, Crawford, or Sessions would be insane signings for the minimum.. Right up there with Boozer for 3M. Highly doubt we can pull any of them off but who knows, they're all getting lowball offers right now, a season of putting up stats here might be appealing. Give them a starting spot & move Lin to SG Kobe to SF if that's what it takes to get them here.
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:53 pm

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 9m
Michael Beasley is currently training in LA with Kevin Durant. Lakers could make sense for Beasley. He'd be a good fit to fill out roster.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
Doc Brown

Postby DanielBeltz24 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:20 pm

Would love to get Beasley.
DanielBeltz24

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:56 pm

Not inspired by that but it'd make sense.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:03 pm

Still don't want Beasley due to his potential to affect the team culture adversely. If we had a veteran heavy team at a championship level I'd be ok with it. But we have 3 vets in Kobe, Nash and Booz who are going to instill a certain culture in all our young guys. I don't want Beasley undermining any of their influence.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:10 pm

If we got Beasley...that would give us a decent 8 man rotation:

Lin/Kobe/Beasley/Boozer/Hill
Young / X / Randle off the bench.

Then Wes, Kelly, Sacre, Ed Davis, Clarkson, Nash and someone else (most likely d-league guy or non-guaranteed contract). I think that team can make the play-offs with league average injuries...or at least make a good go of it.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:39 pm

Beasley is probably 1 of the only remaining FA's talented enough to pick up despite having bigger needs at other positions.. It wouldn't do anything to address our defensive problems but I'm not sure there's a pick up we can make with the 14th or 15th roster spot that will address those issues. It would give us an even more potent group of scorers.. Kobe - Young - Boozer - Lin - Beasley is a lot of offense for anyone to deal with.
LakersN4

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Could Kobe and Scott and for good measure Julius the beast slap Beasley around enough and get through to him so he finally reaches his potential, unlike any place else he's ever been? Including playing with that greatest of all times leader and maker of everyone around him "betterer"…..LeBron?
LTLakerFan

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:24 pm

i'm of the opinion that beasley will never get his head straight, no matter who he plays with or for. no thank you.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Center Court on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:32 pm

Still some quality players on the market: Marion, Mo Will, Sessions, Crawford, and Beasley. Ideally we'd have the cap to sign Marion and Mo Will. IMO that'd put us in the playoffs. But if we can get Beasley, IMO that'd go a long way in improving our team. He's got nothing to live up to anymore and the only expectation would be to try on D and score- which he can do.

Wonder if Marion would jump on board though....
Center Court

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:53 pm

^^ would love to have Marion, but I think that ship sailed when we re-signed Johnson. Right now we need a backup PG. I don't have faith in Nash after the last two years of not playing basically.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:21 am

Biggest need is backup pg. Huge hole there. The sf position has enough coverage between Henry, Johnson, Swaggy and Kobe. Heck, Randle and Kelly could drop down there if they had to. But cannot count on Nash health, that could easily leave Clarkson the only backup to Lin. Not good. Definitely don't want Kobe there. Hence must get one more backup pg.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Lakers79 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:26 am

TIME wrote:Still don't want Beasley due to his potential to affect the team culture adversely. If we had a veteran heavy team at a championship level I'd be ok with it. But we have 3 vets in Kobe, Nash and Booz who are going to instill a certain culture in all our young guys. I don't want Beasley undermining any of their influence.

Don't imagine that happening with Boozer, Kobe and special guest appearances by Steve Nash, on the team. How was he with the Heat last season?
Lakers79

Postby Lakers79 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:28 am

Sesh for the min. Hated to see him go, and I'd be glad to take him back. BTW it's time to put away my avatar.
Lakers79

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion