Rumors as of July 3rd

Rumors as of July 3rd

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:28 pm

July 3rd rumors on Fox Sports

July 3 — The agent for Payton told the Los Angeles Times that, "he hoped to have Payton meet with Kupchak in Los Angeles as early as Monday."

July 3 — According to the L.A. Times, Karl Malone met with Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak on Wednesday.

July 3 — According to the Chicago Sun-Times "The Bulls would be willing to offer Pippen the entire exception, but it's not likely Pippen's decision will be determined by money. The Lakers offer a realistic shot at a championship, but the Bulls could be promising Pippen a front-office position after he retires. Paxson respects Pippen's knowledge of the game and his ability to evaluate current players, and Paxson may promise him a position such as director of player personnel."

July 3 — Howard told Sporting News Radio that he has spoken to the Lakers, and is more interested in winning than the money he can get.

July 2 — According to Newsday, "if the Knicks can't land one of the leading big men, it's possible they will turn their attention to a second-tier center such as Seattle's 6-11 Predrag Drobnjak." The Suns, Lakers, and Sonics have all also expressed interest in the center according to Drobnjak's agent.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:39 am

Drobnak is a good conselation prize, if we can't get the top power forward free agents. I'm not sure if he is MLE material, but the LLE ot the vet. exempt. should be fitting on him.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:50 am

How much extra money is Buss willing to spend to regain championship status? Everyone knows Buss is the number one guy when it comes to being conservative about his money...but seriously....we talk about getting everyone for the minimal amount of money we can offer...ever thought Buss would slap out his wallet to pick up the players we need...after watching him play for the World Poker Tour on the Travel Channel, he's gotta at lesat give a little more money to spend for the players wanting to come to us.

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:10 pm

Yeah, I saw that Poker Challenge. He got pretty deep into the match. He needs to spend those winnings into the free agent pool. If he needs some help, I have a nice shiny nickle just to add to the free agent pot.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby self made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:11 pm

as far as i know the lakers can offer free agents
* one mid level exception = 4.5- 4.9 mil
* one lower level exception = 1.5- 1.9 mil
as many veteran and minimum salarie contracts
*vet min = 1 mil
*min salary = 500k-800k
self made

buss wants payton

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:21 pm

I can't remember where, but I think it was the LA Times that said that Buss really wanted Payton even though many Laker officials wanted to address the front court primarily. I believe that if Buss says he wants Payton he will fork over the money to get him, becuz he knows he has a winning product and if he satisfies the public (only a championship will satisfy us) through the product he will bank in on his investment (giving Payton a multiyear contract of around 5 million each year). If they get Payton, that leaves us with nothing to offer the PF's. But if Malone really does come cheap like he said he would and Howard cares only about winning then I feel like getting Payton for the MLE will be the best route. And even if he is 35, if feel it wont be too big of a risk giving him a multiyear deal. Your thoughts fellows?
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby SWOL on Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:26 pm

i love Drobnjak's hair ....... :jam2: . just the hair would be worth watching games
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby zetaw00d on Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:56 pm

July 4 — According to the L.A. Times, "negotiations with Karl Malone have gone so well that (the Lakers) are considering the possibility they could sign him and still offer their full mid-level exception to Gary Payton." The Times reports that Malone, is willing to take the veteran's minimum, to insure the team would have the max available for Gary Payton. However, it is not known if Malone would be willing to play for the Lakers if there are unable to sign Payton. — L.A. Times

Damm i hope this works out!! Malone for the Vet min and GP for the Mid-level. Bling Bling for the Lakers again if this happens!!
zetaw00d

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:13 pm

Vasashi17....Great that you signed up!!

I will officially welcome you as a member of clublakers.com

If I heard it right, Buss is vacationing out of the country at this moment. So, hopefully, he will be back by July 16.
Even though he might appear cheap at times, I know that Buss is not stupid. He knows that greatest investment is to invest on a championship team. The economic returns of having a champion is great. I truly believe once Buss comes back, he will avoid his cheap ways and spend that loot on Payton. Which also means that Malone will soon follow.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

I heard this.

Postby Shaq Fan on Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:50 pm

Hello, on ESPN news they were already saying what the lineup will pro. look like next season. They were talking how the Malone talks went like a knife threw warm butter.
Man, I hope its true that Malone will take the vet. min. if Payton takes mid-level.
On Shaq's web-site it said Shaq personnaly made a call to the glove and asked him to take everything serious on Monday, and join the Lakers.

If this is true I will pee my pants.

PS:

ESPN NEWS stated that this will be the lineup:

Starters: GP Kobe George or Luke Mailman Shaq
    :man12:
Shaq Fan

Re: I heard this. (Shaq fan)

Postby OJ2 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:46 pm

When and where on Shaq's web-site did you see that Shaq personnaly made a call to Payton? I have no reason to doubt you but i check his Shaq .com site everyday and I dont recall seeing it :boxing1:

Postby whats golden on Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:24 pm

I think this is the ESPN article people are refering to:

Negotiations between Los Angeles Lakers and free agent power forward Karl Malone are moving in a direction where the Lakers could could sign him and be in a position to take on another free agent, point guard Gary Payton.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0704/1576812.html

In the words of the Pointer Sisters 'I'm so excited'

Don't screw this up Mitch

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby thelakeshow on Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:43 pm

can the lakers sigh gary paton pj brown and one more player like zo or pipen
thelakeshow

Postby whats golden on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:12 pm

I'm sure that they could but I would mean that one of them would have to sign for the LLE, which is around $1.5mil.

The scenario from the ESPN and LA Times articles details that fact the if LA can sign Payton for the MLE then Malone is willing the sign for the LLE. This will fix up both our holes and make sure that we are not only a contender but a shoe in to be NBA champs again. The other options that we have with the Payton/Malone scenario is that we could possibly sign someone like Pippen to the vet minimum, as well as great backups like Piatkowski, Griffin and hopefully Horry. This is good news for LAker fans everywhere.

A lot of people worry that this will only be a quick fix solution, but we need to consider what we are getting.

If we sign Malone we will have him for two years. During those two years he would be the perfect tutor for Cook, same with Payton and Pargo. These two are experienced vets who are still at the top of their game, I don't think that it would be to much to expect that a little of their knowledge will be handed down to our developing players.

There is a possibility that we can have the following lineup next season.

PG - GP/Fisher/Pargo
SG - Kobe/Piatkowski/Rush
SF - George/Walton (Fox inj)
PF - Malone/Horry/Cook
C - Shaq/Slava

We could even resign Madsen if we need to. The other thing we could possibly look at is to sign a proper back up for Shaq, maybe people can help me out with this.

This is a great situation for LA to be in - look out everyone else.

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby lakers frizzo on Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:16 am

pg payton(mle)
sg kobe
sf pippen(vets min)
pf malone(vets min)
c shaq
backups
fish
slava
horry(lle)
george
pargo
rush
fox*
cook
walton
it dont get much better than that!! :jam2:
is shaq satisfied with three titles and continuing to blow up to 400 lbs or will he get the other hunger back and get down to 320 and win three more?? GO LAKERS 2004-06 CHAMPS!!!
lakers frizzo

Postby self made on Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:53 am

as much as i think the lakers need a sharp shooter i.e. piatkowski, wouldnt that halt kareem rush's progression, im one of the few that still think rush can come in next season and play way better than he did tis season. i really think he'll get more minutes next season thus he'll have more time to show he can really contribute. but hey it wouldnt hurt to have piatkowski on the team to bring in when a 3 is needed
self made

Postby lakers frizzo on Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:59 am

thats what i say remember rush was a rookie right? and what rookie ever contribited to the triangle as a rookie? none under phil jackson matter of fact a bunch of good ones averagen 3-4 pts a game like rush did dont count out anyone in a lakers uniform with the name kareem people!!
is shaq satisfied with three titles and continuing to blow up to 400 lbs or will he get the other hunger back and get down to 320 and win three more?? GO LAKERS 2004-06 CHAMPS!!!
lakers frizzo

Postby SWOL on Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:57 pm

tony kukoc did
SWOL

Pipen

Postby Retards on Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:52 am

:disagree: Pipen = good for 20 games then go on IL , you really wanted that ????
Retards

Postby SWOL on Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:24 am

retard...i think we do....we dont need Pippen for any of the 82 games.....as long as he plays the 20 important ones (Playoffs) that is all that matters
SWOL

Postby TheZen on Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:50 am

swolswol wrote:retard...i think we do....we dont need Pippen for any of the 82 games.....as long as he plays the 20 important ones (Playoffs) that is all that matters

I totally agree, Pippen only needs to give us a good 20 games, George can pick up the rest of the games.
TheZen

Postby Retards on Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:29 pm

So he is just gonna play 20 important games for Lakers huh ? What makes u think he'll fit right in ? :disagree:
Retards

Postby lakers frizzo on Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:09 am

i think he'll fit right in cause of a feew reasons
#1 hes played most his career in the triangle offence, nutin new
#2 hes played for phil for 10 years, nutin new
#3 it wont be anything new for him to play with the greatest player in the league and now he has two of those
#4 we could use a sf with knowledge of triangle that can play d w/o fouls
#5 we need another clutch shooter we can count on
#6 hes a what 5 time all star
#7 hes a hard worker and smart player that can do nothing but improve our young guys
need i say more cause i can......
lakers frizzo

Postby Retards on Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:44 am

But we all know the #8
He has his chance to come to LA but he choose the Blazersfor more money !
Retards

Postby la21834 on Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:38 pm

pip would be a good fit.
la21834

Return to Lakers Discussion