Ryan Kelly Discussion: Sitting out due to hamstring injury

Re: Ryan Kelly Discussion: Medina - 2 year deal, no options (19)

Postby davriver290 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:58 pm

DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:Well I somehow can't get excited about Kelly ... don't get why everybody is so hyped up about him. Hopefully he's 5th in our big man rotation and ends up as a trade asset.

Kid is 23.. improved significantly as the season progressed, was a bright spot in an otherwise dark season, cheap, can do multiple things. That's why we're hyped. You know, not all our signings can be Carmelo, Parsons or Lebron James... Sometimes its that youngling who's hungry and wants to prove himself. I like this signing, shows Mitch is somewhat open to progressing their young projects.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby thisbjgz on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:23 pm

If this guy can pan out to be some what of a Luke Walton, Slava type of dude I'd be very happy.
thisbjgz

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:41 pm

I'm glad we're invested in him. I hope we find ways to get him some good playing time this season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:31 pm

therealdeal wrote:I'm glad we're invested in him. I hope we find ways to get him some good playing time this season.
With our injury jinx the past few years, i'm sure he'll have to slide in anywhere from starting pg to starting center. :freak2:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:35 pm

thisbjgz wrote:If this guy can pan out to be some what of a Luke Walton, Slava type of dude I'd be very happy.

He definitely has potential to be better than Luke.. I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly ends up being the best PF on our team.
LakersN4

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:13 pm

DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:Well I somehow can't get excited about Kelly ... don't get why everybody is so hyped up about him. Hopefully he's 5th in our big man rotation and ends up as a trade asset.

BOOOO!! If you don't "get it" go back and watch the 10 minute highlights clip above, probably all after the all star break when he was finally healthy and able to work on his game, and watch the games "better" this year. :man12: :man12:
LTLakerFan

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:12 am

davriver290 wrote:

Kid is 23.. improved significantly as the season progressed, was a bright spot in an otherwise dark season, cheap, can do multiple things. That's why we're hyped. You know, not all our signings can be Carmelo, Parsons or Lebron James... Sometimes its that youngling who's hungry and wants to prove himself. I like this signing, shows Mitch is somewhat open to progressing their young projects.

Yeah but more than the minimum is not worth it I think. Especially with the loaded front court now. But I hope he proves me wrong.
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:14 am

LTLakerFan wrote:

BOOOO!! If you don't "get it" go back and watch the 10 minute highlights clip above, probably all after the all star break when he was finally healthy and able to work on his game, and watch the games "better" this year. :man12: :man12:

Well I stay up until 4 am to watch those games and those Lakers from last year really made it hard for me to stay up :man10: - so maybe I missed his tremendous games for that matter :man11:
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:14 am

DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:
davriver290 wrote:

Yeah but more than the minimum is not worth it I think. Especially with the loaded front court now. But I hope he proves me wrong.

it's not THAT much more than the minimum. I'm guessing he'll find ways on to the court. he just needs to prove he can defend nba pfs (and maybe backup cs). his offense is actually pretty solid already. shoots well, puts it on the floor, scores in lots of different ways, passes fairly well. I think this is a solid investment. he'll never be a starter, but this is an nba player, imo.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:19 am

Definitely a good investment. A little more expensive than Robert Sacre and he's twice the player Rob is, so I'm fine with it.

He's got a very diverse game, a great feel for scoring, a smart player, and he's a surprisingly good decent shot blocker. I'd like to see him develop his body a little more. He's got some of natural athleticism, but with some more muscle on him he can protect himself better and play some better positional defense.

He is maybe the only player from last year that I could have seen playing on a contender in limited minutes. He's got that kind of cerebral game. I hope we can find ways to get him on the court and develop him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 am

Put it this way, he was giving us more as the 48th pick, than Anthony Bennett, the #1 pick was for Cavs
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 am

therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:04 pm

Good signing. Good upside from here. I can see him as a regular bench contributor to a championship contender down the road as long as he continues to develop from here. Him and Swaggy as scorers on the 2nd unit. I like.

At the minimum, there's always going to be a place somewhere in the NBA for a 6-11 guy who shoots and moves and has high BB IQ as Kelly does. I predict an 8 to 10 year career for him if he stays healthy.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:24 pm

raviator wrote:Now whether that was a product of the D'Antoni system remains to be seen, but regardless, boy showed some skills. Glad they brought him back.

In D'Antoni's offense, I'd say guys like Meeks & Marshall are more likely to have a "boost" from that style. One thing Kelly might have benefited from was the 3-point shooting. But his game is far more deep than just being a shooter.

Kelly proved the ability to finish, make passes, take it to the rack, do post-moves and even get a block here and there. I don't remember him being a great rebounder, but that also could have been because D'Antoni wanted him on the perimeter and to push out on fast breaks.

Kelly's game is very multi-faceted and if he can get an NBA body, I see him having a place not only on this team but in the league as a valuable role player. Upside - 6th man on a contender.
Chillbongo

Postby Magic Skywalker on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 pm

He was actually a decent rebounder. Not great, but certainly not awful. Decent.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:45 am

I hope he can play a Thurl Bailey type of a role for us. Start at sf, mins at center, and relieve the main pf.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Ryan Kelly preparing for a tough training camp

http://www.twcsportsnet.com/videos/2014 ... ond-season
Kobe8Fan

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:54 pm

Sounds good. I hope some serious weight work as well upper body (retaining touch) and lower as well.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:01 am

He looked awful in that training session. :man10:

But I'm glad he's preparing for a hard camp. I don't think he'll ever be a physical guy, but he has fire in him and that's just as important. We couldn't teach Pau to be a bruiser, but you can't teach Chris Paul how to play under pressure either.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:05 am

C'mon now ^^^ 2nd greatest of all times …..all times! Confirmed by eye test :man12:
LTLakerFan

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:27 pm

Ryan has a moderate left hamstring injury; he is out indefinitely according to Lakers Twitter.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Took until Day 2. :man10:

:man5:

I hope he's alright. Sounds to me like his legs weren't ready for the kind of conditioning these guys are going through.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:18 pm

Yeah. I like the discipline and the motive but jeez loueeze how about not beating the crap out of them physically the very first day. Strike a happy medium on day 1. I'm sure Scott can get his points across without being over the top to the point of too much too soon. If not, then I will be disappointed. Seems to me for very first workout you should not beat them up THAT hard. Today or tomorrow is right there as well. :what:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:27 pm

It's called Hell Week man. Been around in sports since the dawn of sports. The first week you put them through the ringer. The good ones rise up, the bad ones fall to the wayside. You find your workers and you find your lazybones.

I think honestly that Ryan might not be built for this kind of strenuous activity though. He doesn't look like he has a whole lot of strength.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:31 pm

lukewaltonsdad wrote:Ryan has a moderate left hamstring injury; he is out indefinitely according to Lakers Twitter.

and there it is...Steve Nash has outlasted Ryan Kelly
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion