Ryan Kelly Discussion: Medina - 2 year deal, no options (19)

Re: Ryan Kelly Discussion:

Postby abeer3 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:11 pm

ah, partial. I thought harris was fully guaranteed for some reason. I get it; there's some upside there.

as for Kelly, I assume he remains unsigned (which is the wise thing to do).
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:19 pm

abeer3 wrote:ah, partial. I thought harris was fully guaranteed for some reason. I get it; there's some upside there.

as for Kelly, I assume he remains unsigned (which is the wise thing to do).

I thought he might be too because he apparently is signed for more than one season. I guess they're all non-guaranteed?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:15 pm

Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 2m
Lakers announce that they signed Ryan Kelly
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite M
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:08 pm

what does this mean for Shawne Williams? I like his game and think he'd offer way more than Kelly easily.
Ariza3

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:10 pm

It's not like Kelly will get the backup job or anything. As he's already coming in injured, he's most likely 3rd String/Defenders fodder.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:14 pm

I'd guess it's another non-guaranteed contract which is basically just a camp invite.

It doesn't mean much for Williams, Landry, or Harris. Those guys all just have to compete for the job. Plain and simple.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:20 pm

I know athletes (and people in general I guess) can tweet "God is good" for no reason if they are religious and having a good day, but I wondered why specifically Kelly tweeted that 2 days ago. I assumed it meant he was about to be signed, and well there you have it. I hope he can contribute honestly, because he seems like a good kid and mostly because I don't want to see another 2nd round draft pick wasted.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Wasn't his foot not healing?

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:48 pm

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan 2m
Ryan Kelly's deal is one year, non-guaranteed. Kelly's had foot problems in recent years, won't be ready for start of Lakers' camp.
Expand
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:39 pm

He'll have to earn his spot. I like him and I hope he can figure it out, but I just don't think he'll be able to.

Keep him on the summer league roster if you can, but the guy's foot just doesn't seem to want to heal correctly. He's not going to be ready for the season.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:45 pm

Not ready for training camp?

LOL :freak2:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:18 am

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 4m
Kupchak: "Ryan Kelly, it's been a really rough time for him ... I don't anticipate him participating him training camp"
Expand

:wave:
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:23 pm

He seems like a good kid, and he has some skills, but the dude is already slow plus he has this seemingly nagging foot injury. So yeah, if his foot will not heal I don't see how he makes the team. This is a business, you can't sign a guy that can't get healthy before he's played an NBA game, unless they really, really see something in him and some other camp invites fail to impress that badly.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Wonder why the Lakers signed him... if he wasn't going to be in training camp, couldn't they have not signed him, but retained his rights for at least one year? During which they could monitor his rehab and watch his progress in D-League.

But now they signed him: if he doesn't make the team as seems likely, they lose him to anyone else who wants to take a chance. No wonder he tweeted whatever joy he felt, he's getting a chunk of change even though he can't play.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Give him a spot on the Defenders, but other than that he's not fit to make the big league roster. Literally.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:38 pm

even though its a 2nd rd pick, mgmt. dropped the ball on this one. He was plagued all year long by this foot problem, they didn't do enough home work on this.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:44 pm

Of course they did. He was hurt, but he was also the most talented piece on the board. They took a shot at the most talented player which is what you should absolutely do in the 2nd Round.

It was a great pick. It's not their fault his foot isn't healing properly.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:54 pm

therealdeal wrote:Of course they did. He was hurt, but he was also the most talented piece on the board. They took a shot at the most talented player which is what you should absolutely do in the 2nd Round.

most talented is debatable....most fitting is more appropriate IMO, either way a waste of a pick and now money to boot. As someone else noted, already pretty slow before this foot problem, his career is probably over before it even starts.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:06 pm

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Of course they did. He was hurt, but he was also the most talented piece on the board. They took a shot at the most talented player which is what you should absolutely do in the 2nd Round.

most talented is debatable....most fitting is more appropriate IMO, either way a waste of a pick and now money to boot. As someone else noted, already pretty slow before this foot problem, his career is probably over before it even starts.

Were there many other knock-down shooting, 6'11" players out there who are fairly young and competent defensively? In the 2nd Round?

He was the most talented player that fit our plan (really a big man who can shoot fits the LEAGUE plan right now) and he was available. Sure he was hurt, but the doctors said he was on track to recover. The doctors were wrong. It was a great pick.

Wasted money? He's partially guaranteed meaning he got a camp invite, not a roster spot.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm not upset with drafting him, I thought he was a solid pick that late for how well he played in college, especially for Duke and in big games, and I thought he was as good as anyone available then. I don't really get signing him to a partiality guaranteed contract if he can't even participate in training camp though. If that's the case why not just cut your losses.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Weezy wrote:I'm not upset with drafting him, I thought he was a solid pick that late for how well he played in college, especially for Duke and in big games, and I thought he was as good as anyone available then. I don't really get signing him to a partiality guaranteed contract if he can't even participate in training camp though. If that's the case why not just cut your losses.

I think it helps them retain his rights so they can stash him away on the Defenders.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:15 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:I'm not upset with drafting him, I thought he was a solid pick that late for how well he played in college, especially for Duke and in big games, and I thought he was as good as anyone available then. I don't really get signing him to a partiality guaranteed contract if he can't even participate in training camp though. If that's the case why not just cut your losses.

I think it helps them retain his rights so they can stash him away on the Defenders.

who's gona pick up a guy with serious leg problems? and as far as recovery, he had mulitple surgery that last year at Duke and had a lot of delays in coming back and when he came back he got hurt again. Thats a pretty big red flag. As wasted money part, he's getting paid to sit on the bench isn't he? I mean partially guranteed doesn't mean he's getting nothing to sit there and watch.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:47 pm

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

who's gona pick up a guy with serious leg problems? and as far as recovery, he had mulitple surgery that last year at Duke and had a lot of delays in coming back and when he came back he got hurt again. Thats a pretty big red flag. As wasted money part, he's getting paid to sit on the bench isn't he? I mean partially guranteed doesn't mean he's getting nothing to sit there and watch.

There's plenty of people willing to pick up a big man who's young and able to shoot. Someone will give him a shot and stash him on their D-League roster. Why not? The Lakers have his rights though and they ought to keep him. Of course he came with red flags, so what? You go with the most talented in the 2nd round.

That partial guarantee could amount to pennies, who cares? Harris, Landry, Williams, and Henry will all be given similar contracts and could end up being similar wastes of time. That's what a training camp roster is full of.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:31 pm

^^^except thsoe guys will be playing and trying to prove themselves, while Kelly will be on the bench clapping. Obviously its not our money but I bet you "pennies" is more like a few k's a game. Must be nice to get paid thousand of dollars to sit there and watch.
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:11 pm

I don't know that I'd put it like that, so simple. He's obviously not just sitting and watching, he's probably rehabbing every day, working on upper body strength, practicing shooting, etc. And even before that these guys work their whole lives to make it to the NBA level. Maybe even with the foot injury they like what they see in his shooting and his attitude, who knows. And maybe like real said they want to keep him around longer even on the D-Fenders to see if he can get right and turn into a worthwhile pick.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion