Ryan Kelly Discussion: Medina - 2 year deal, no options (19)

Re: Ryan Kelly Discussion:

Postby dj vitus on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:43 am

So... one report says he's a terrible defender... and then another report says he's a great defender? :freak2: Looks like we'll have to wait a whole season to see if he's good or not.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:52 am

The last time we picked at 48 turned out to be pretty good. :man1:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:56 am

dj vitus wrote:So... one report says he's a terrible defender... and then another report says he's a great defender? :freak2: Looks like we'll have to wait a whole season to see if he's good or not.

Well we could probably tell a few games into this season...

From what I've read he's a SMART defender. He knows defense. He just doesn't have a ton of lateral quickness or explosiveness, so at the NBA level he'll get blown by around the perimeter. Inside he's got a decent frame and good instincts so he might be more suited to guard Centers in the NBA.

From what I've read we can expect some Luke Walton-esque issues defensively. He knows WHAT to do, he just might not be able to do it. But unlike Luke, Ryan Kelly still has some space to grow there. He's improved every year in college as an athlete. He put on 30 pounds of mostly muscle in his time at Duke. He's a hard worker.

I anticipate he'll look a lot like Ryan Anderson if he can stay/get healthy and if he has some opportunities to play.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:59 am

im sure he'll be a great bench warmer

2mins per game during blowouts
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:02 am

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 1m
Fun fact on new Laker @RyanKelly34: He's engaged to high school sweetheart/NFL coach Bill Cowher's daughter, Lindsay: http://bit.ly/14AIUcj
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:04 am

He's a big body who has the skillset & potential to be a contributor for us moving forward. Can't ask for much more from the bottom of the 2nd round.

I would like to see him hit the weight room and get himself into better shape. Not a fatty by any stretch, but watching his highlights, he seemed like he could get his body into better shape. Also, could help keep him healthy moving forward.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:09 am

High school sweet hearts. That's adorable. Sounds like a good couple of kids.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:13 am

I like the pick. I don't know how much you can expect in the 2nd round of a draft that was seen as weak coming into it. We need shooting badly on this team. We went for stretches last year where we couldn't hit anything. WTS, I think he would be a welcome addition if he can translate his skills into this level...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby dj vitus on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:14 am

Yah, from the highlights he seems better off as an interior defender. He may not have the build (yet), but he's got length.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:15 am

the new Chris Mihm :jam2:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:16 am

dj vitus wrote:Yah, from the highlights he seems better off as an interior defender. He may not have the build (yet), but he's got length.

I'm hoping he just comes into camp with the right attitude, the right drive. Give us some young fire. If he can continue to work on his strength training and continue to develop a shot further from the basket, he can come into this season and give us solid minutes off the bench. He could make it easier to send Gasol packing.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forklift on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:50 am

i don't watch any college ball to really judge if he is good or not. I guess i just have to wait for preseason.
Forklift

Postby John3:16 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:54 am

He doesn't play defense.

He'll fit right in.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:00 am

apparently he does play D.
Kelly ranks third in the country in fewest points allowed per play (minimum 100 plays defended)

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost%20blogname=collegebasketballnation&id=74441&src=desktop
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:05 am

Kelly ranks third all time in career winning percentage (105-13, .890) for the Blue Devils.

hopefully a Coach K mindset will help him. Kobe & Kelly can bond over their respect for Coach K
Ariza3

Postby borri on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:24 am

If he turns into a Novak....I am happy.
borri

Postby Elle on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:34 am

Lol, too funny about R-Kelly. I'm worried about his injury, any time I hear the words "Lakers' "player" and "injury" my blood runs cold. What ever happened to Brian Cook?
Elle

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:41 am

^ He played for the Clippers in 2012 and was traded to Washington.

He didn't play last season.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:47 am

Ariza3 wrote:
Kelly ranks third all time in career winning percentage (105-13, .890) for the Blue Devils.

hopefully a Coach K mindset will help him. Kobe & Kelly can bond over their respect for Coach K

who cares how he and Kobe bond? This is not like we drafted a superstar and hope he can mesh with our franchise player. Kobe won't look to bond with this kid until he proves he's a competent worker and player/
Center Court

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:53 am

Center Court wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:

who cares how he and Kobe bond? This is not like we drafted a superstar and hope he can mesh with our franchise player. Kobe won't look to bond with this kid until he proves he's a competent worker and player/

rather they have something in common than nothing. its supposed to be a team and the more young and old players get along the better off well be. were pretty weak at the PF spot if we lose Dwight and move Pau over. rather he be comfortable out there if he plays mins with kobe and rather kobe have some relationship with him in practice so maybe he passes him the ball for 3's. morris sat next to him on the plane and buit a close relationship and he wasnt a superstar...it helped on court when kobe would go out of his way to find him for those corner 3's. a relationship with superstars and rookies i think is important especially at a position where they might get minutes. just saying....
Ariza3

Postby Elle on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:54 am

therealdeal wrote:^ He played for the Clippers in 2012 and was traded to Washington.

Thanks, I totally lost track of him.
Elle

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Center Court wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:

What's the point of this post?

Who cares? I care. I care that ALL of our plays bond with Kobe because ALL of them have something to learn from him. Kobe respects winners and workers and by all means it seems this kid fits both bills.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Elle wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ He played for the Clippers in 2012 and was traded to Washington.

Thanks, I totally lost track of him.

No problem. After we traded him he bounced around a lot.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:27 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:im sure he'll be a great bench warmer

2mins per game during blowouts

Did you look at the clips and listen to his interview on 1st page? Seriously that's your take?
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:35 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:the new Chris Mihm :jam2:

That would not be a bad thing at all. :jam2: :jam2: For not being your prototype tough banger down there, like Gasol, Chris was a fairly athletic, fine, fun, exciting and capable player in "most" areas for us when he was healthy. He comes down horribly wrong on someone's foot and boom career over. Not that he didn't give it his best shot to get back with multiple surgeries and rehabs.
LTLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion