Ryan Kelly Discussion: Medina - 2 year deal, no options (19)

Re: Ryan Kelly Discussion:

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:15 am

LTLakerFan wrote:So how's Ryan doing in the D-league? Has anyone been watching their games? I stumbled across one yesterday afternoon on TWSN but it was in the 2nd half and a bunch of short guys were in. Prepping probably for playing for small ball Dan.

Ryan Kelly's stats:

39:11min
7-17 FG
1-3 3PM-A
6-8 FTM-A
-13 +/-
4ORB
4DRB
8TRB
7AST
3PF
1STL
5TO
2BS
1BA
21 PTS

You can watch the entire game on the D-League official youtube channel.
Kobe8Fan

Postby therealdeal on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:28 am

21/8/7 with 2 blocks? That's pretty damn good.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:09 am

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 13h
Ryan Kelly called back up to the Lakers after averaging 25.0 points, 8.0 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 2.3 steals in three games w/ @DFenders
lukewaltonsdad

Postby trodgers on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:16 am

He was ballin' in the D League - putting up numbers at least as good as any of our other guys who have been down there.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:19 am

Does this mean he'll get more playing time?
lukewaltonsdad

Postby karacha on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:23 am

He's too good for the D-League. Maybe MDA can find some minutes for him.... stretch the floor for Hill or something similar.

When we trade Pau, that's going to happen. It's imminent. Kaman/Hill, Shawne/Kelly.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:35 am

I'll roll with that. Kelly seems like he's ready. He definitely smashed up the D-League competition.

I really do feel like there's got to be some reason that Kaman isn't playing... Right? Maybe it's because we're looking to make a move? Elias Harris gets waived, we don't play Kaman, call back Kelly...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:41 am

I like a good conspiracy theory :mhihi:
LTLakerFan

Postby Juronimo on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Does Ryan Kelly have a post game? Can he match Shawne Williams' production? He can obviously shoot...
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:57 pm

I thought I saw in a college clip him backing someone down with decent coordination, but really not sure on that. I DO remember seeing him cross someone over with a :man4: move for a big man and commenting on it at the time. He's a pretty good sized dude who supposedly plays some decent defense. Hope he gets some minutes.
LTLakerFan

Postby karacha on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:...there's got to be some reason that Kaman isn't playing... Right?

Of course. There is no reason to showcase Kaman right now. He and MDA are all mysterious about it. Sacre (who I respect) is getting minutes. Trying to save Kaman for later. Calling Kelly back. You know what Mitch is up to... but is some other GM going to take the bait?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Juronimo wrote:Does Ryan Kelly have a post game? Can he match Shawne Williams' production? He can obviously shoot...

1. No
2. He can easily match it

He's just not as tough as Shawne, not even close. But offensively, the kid can play. There is zero doubt about it. As long as his foot is OK. But it seems that it's fine, since he pretty much smashed his competition in the D League. Those guys simply can't guard a 6-11 player who can shoot.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:22 pm

Yeah, I'd play him more; outside of the Detroit game, he's been inconsistent on offense; he does provide some defense, rebounding, etc...but nothing mind-blowing. Kelley may be able to provide a more consistent offense threat from the 4 position. On defense, he isn't outstanding, but within a team concept, he's not too bad.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby karacha on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Well, he is one of those players that need some minutes to produce. 4 minutes is not enough. With 10+, he can give you more consistent shooting.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:10 am

The problem is whether or not he's physically ready to play defense at this level as well. He's not particularly fast or quick. Williams far outperforms him in those categories from what I've seen. Williams is also the better defender from what I've seen.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:13 pm

I don't doubt Kelly can camp and hit some shot. TRD's right on - can he do ANYTHING on the defensive end?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:54 pm

Kelly is long though isn't he? Nice wing-span and is one of those guys who seems smart enough to improve his BBIQ to make up for his lack of athleticism.
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Kelly is long though isn't he? Nice wing-span and is one of those guys who seems smart enough to improve his BBIQ to make up for his lack of athleticism.

Mike Brown is that you?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Barnstable on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:19 pm

He's too weak physically right now, but from the little I saw, he seems to have a good enough head for defensive schemes.

Offensively Kelly looked as good as Williams at hitting the 3 from the little I saw.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:Kelly is long though isn't he? Nice wing-span and is one of those guys who seems smart enough to improve his BBIQ to make up for his lack of athleticism.

Mike Brown is that you?

That's not fair, Doc. :man10: He's athletic enough to play pf. He's not going to be confused with KG in his prime, but as a 4th or 5th big on the roster, he's plenty athletic enough to find a role on this team. Like I said earlier in the thread though, I'm really pulling for him because I currently am struggling through the identical injury that caused him to have surgery twice. So far I'm only on surgery one. :man10:
Savory Griddles

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:06 am

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- The role of defensive ace on the Los Angeles Lakers has been vacated since the team used the amnesty provision on Metta World Peace in the offseason.

So with the best basketball player on the planet, LeBron James, in town Wednesday, who would have thought that second-round draft pick Ryan Kelly would be auditioning for the stopper spot by guarding James in the fourth quarter of a close game against the Miami Heat?

Ryan Kelly is finally getting a chance to be part of the Lakers' rotation, and he hopes to make it last."I was like, 'I got to find a way to stop him.' Didn't. But that's a learning experience and something to grow on, and I'll watch the film and see what I could have done different," Kelly said after practice Thursday.

OK, maybe it's being a tad facetious to suggest Kelly would go from bench warmer and errand-running rookie to the all-defensive team, but even if he didn't have much success against James, he suddenly finds himself part of the Lakers' rotation.

"He knows how to play defensively and offensively," Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said. "Defensively, he's the first one to get to the right spot. I think going forward he can keep earning more time. I'm pretty excited about it."

Kelly had played only 23 minutes all season in five spot appearances when D'Antoni called for him to sub into the first quarter of the Lakers' road game against the Phoenix Suns on Monday.

"There was no question I didn't know it was going to happen, but I just wanted to always be ready," Kelly said of the surprise substitution. "I sit there, if you watch me the whole game, I'm the first one to stand up during every timeout. I run out there just as much [as the players in the game] to celebrate with my teammates, but even more so [to show] that I'm ready to go."

Kelly didn't hesitate when D'Antoni called for him to come in with 1:29 to go in the opening period against the Suns, taking less than a minute of game time to score a 14-foot step-back jump shot with 33.4 seconds left.

"I heard it very clearly," Kelly said with a laugh. "It's the key, you got to hear it on the first time. If you hear it on the second, if they have to call it twice, that means you're probably not listening. So I stood right up."

The 6-foot-11 Kelly is just as eager to shoot, even if he's coming in cold. In the seven games Kelly has played this season, he has made one shot in five of them, even though the most shots he has taken in any game is only four. He prepares by simulating his potential game opportunities in practice.

"You're pretty cold, you kind of sit there for a little bit, waiting in your spot for a little while and be ready to shoot," Kelly said. "That's something that's a skill I have, for a guy my size, to be able to shoot the basketball. I've said that from the beginning. That's one of the reasons I'm here. If I'm open, I'm going to shoot it."

Kelly played nine minutes against Phoenix and a season-high 17 against Miami, contributing four points (hitting his only 3-point attempt), one rebound and one assist. While his stats have been meager, there appears to be room for growth with Pau Gasol (upper respiratory infection) probably out of the lineup Friday in Utah and D'Antoni staying committed to keeping a floor-spacer on the court to open up driving lanes for his guards.

It all has been remarkable progress so far for Kelly, who was selected No. 48 in the NBA draft out of Duke University in June and went on to miss all of summer league and half of training camp because of lingering foot issues yet still showed enough to make the team. Then when he wasn't getting playing time with the Lakers, he embraced a couple of D-League assignments with the L.A. D-Fenders, boosting his confidence by averaging 25.2 points, 7.6 rebounds and 3.8 assists in five games.

"I hadn't done that since college," Kelly said. "I hadn't played in games or really that long in scrimmages since the end of my senior season, and that was tremendously helpful."

While he is still trying to carve out a consistent role and gain his teammates' trust -- there was a play against Miami when Kelly was wide open in the right corner, but Nick Young looked him off and passed to Xavier Henry who was defended on the wing instead -- he has proven himself to a certain extent already.

"Kelly can play," guard Jordan Farmar said. "He's a great rookie. He waits his turn, he works really hard and when he gets an opportunity he'll be ready for it. We all have confidence in his ability and what he does on the practice floor when we do get a chance to get out here. He can help us. He stretches the floor, but he can also make plays.

"He has probably one of the best pump fakes in the game, it's really slow and long, but guys go for it and he can get in the paint. He has that Duke basketball education and it's working for him right now."

Kelly is hoping he can make it work long enough until his $490,180 rookie minimum deal becomes fully vested shortly after the new year.

"I'm just, every possession, taking it like it's my last," Kelly said. "I got to make it past Jan. 10 [for his contract to be guaranteed], so I got to keep proving myself every day. To be part of the rotation and to be part of the guys helping us win games is certainly important and that's the position I wanted to work myself into."
lukewaltonsdad

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:00 am

I actually like Kelly and I liked him when I read about who the hell he was when we drafted him. Tall, able to shoot, smart guy (went to Duke). I figured he was a perfect fit for D'Antoni.

I think if he can stick around for a year or so, bulk up and work on some things that help negate his awful athleticism... He could be a Channing Frye in this league or maybe a Bonner or something like that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:40 am

^Yeah, I agree. He can definitely find a role/niche on this team. That would make two picks (Kelly/Sacre) that we found in the 2nd round that can be serviceable on this team for the forseeable future. We also have a first round pick and depending on where we finish in the standings can get a decent prospect this year; hopefully a PG and or a Center that can help on a rookie contract. Not too bad...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby karacha on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:09 pm

Absolutely, a Frye role would be nice for him. He knows how to play basketball and he works extremely hard. He's never going to be very athletic, but he knows how to rebound the ball. He just needs to develop the confidence to shoot the ball. If he's willing to put in time to be a "defensive stopper" -- good for him. I am a little sceptical, because he lacks speed, but then, dude is 6-11 with long arms... that should help.

Frye developed into a 11/5 player, who can shoot over 40% for 3. And is also 6-11. That's quite valuable.

Kelly could realistically be an 7/5 player for us if given some meaningful minutes. I don't think he's any worse then Shawne, frankly, and has higher ceiling. He's a better 3-pt shooter (43% this year), is taller and longer. Unlike Shawne, he's a legit modern PF.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Player of the game? It's possible, lots of hustle plays and even some decent defense tonight. That blocking call against Olynyk at halfcourt was bs, as was a the shooting foul immediately after, clean block. Loved the dunk, loved the big 3's, the big ft's, the nice pump fakes defenders fall for every time, Kelly shut me up for tonight.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion