Ryan Kelly Discussion: Sitting out due to hamstring injury

Re: Ryan Kelly Discussion:

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:^^what's a healthy rotation......

a creature that is only seen on the second full moon of the year. The Lakers have not seen one in a long time

Hard to see it when you are swimming in a sea of goblins.

especially when you are made of magnets and glass
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:45 am

Another solid game; 15 points on 7-12 shooting, 8 rebounds, 2 steals...this kid is a nice find in a draft that wasn't 'loaded' with talent...Good job, Mitch...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:44 pm

If you guys had to rate this past draft so far in the NBA, does Ryan Kelly make the top 10?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:05 pm

He swats his share of shots as well, and seems like a player that is going to keep improving for awhile.
LTLakerFan

Postby Weezy on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:41 pm

Doc Brown wrote:If you guys had to rate this past draft so far in the NBA, does Ryan Kelly make the top 10?

He might be, I can't say 10 guys have outplayed him. At the very least depending on opinion he's right outside the top 10, at worst between 11-20 if you want to argue minutes played, opportunities given, players putting up numbers on bad teams, players maybe not playing as much on good teams, per 36 minutes stats. I'll give a list that are IMO the rookies that have done the best, and Kelly's averages are right there with the last 3 on the list, Wolters, Zeller, and Plumlee. He's also outplayed the #1 pick in the draft , lol, I'd say for the 48th pick he's exceeded expectations. These are IMO the top rookies, I think you can say Kelly belongs right there in the mix with those last 3.

Victor Oladipo
Michael Carter-Williams
Trey Burke
Tim Hardaway Jr
Ben McLemore
Kelly Olynyk
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Nate Wolters
Cody Zeller
Mason Plumlee
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:55 pm

Re-sign this guy. High IQ player that shows mental toughness and has the ability to score.

Definitely re-sign this guy.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:45 am

He was supposed to be a first rounder if his foot wasn't hurt. He's proving it and he's definitely worth keeping around.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:45 am

Weezy wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:If you guys had to rate this past draft so far in the NBA, does Ryan Kelly make the top 10?

He might be, I can't say 10 guys have outplayed him. At the very least depending on opinion he's right outside the top 10, at worst between 11-20 if you want to argue minutes played, opportunities given, players putting up numbers on bad teams, players maybe not playing as much on good teams, per 36 minutes stats. I'll give a list that are IMO the rookies that have done the best, and Kelly's averages are right there with the last 3 on the list, Wolters, Zeller, and Plumlee. He's also outplayed the #1 pick in the draft , lol, I'd say for the 48th pick he's exceeded expectations. These are IMO the top rookies, I think you can say Kelly belongs right there in the mix with those last 3.

Victor Oladipo
Michael Carter-Williams
Trey Burke
Tim Hardaway Jr
Ben McLemore
Kelly Olynyk
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Nate Wolters
Cody Zeller
Mason Plumlee

I have him at 8, but 8-11 are interchangeable.

1.) VO
2.) MCW
3.) Burke
4.) THJr.
5.) Giannis
6.) Olynyk
7.) Plumlee
8.) Kelly
9.) Wolters
10.)McLemore
11.)Zeller
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:52 pm

You guys rank Oladipo above Carter-Williams?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:49 pm

real, my list wasn't in a super specific order, I just had like the top 3, middle guys that are all doing pretty well right now, and then bottom 2 or 3. I just happened to list Oladipo first, I didn't mean it as he's #1.

And Doc, yeah I'd agree with that list in general. Like I said Kelly is right in the mix with 8-10 on my list, those guys being interchangeable is basically what I meant. Again, not bad at all for the 48th pick. We're also getting quite a bit of use out of the 60th pick from last season's draft in these 2 seasons.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:29 pm

He needs to get a stronger base; he gets pushed around A LOT. I do like his ceiling though; if Bonner can find a place in this league so can Kelly.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby trodgers on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:21 pm

I think Kelly is a noticeably better player than I'd thought he would be. He can score reasonably well in the NBA, makes pretty good decisions, has decent skill outside the paint. He isn't utterly devoid of athletic ability either. He does need some strength, especially lower body strength, and he could do with working on a couple of post moves.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Barnstable on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:37 pm

Nice game tonight offensively.

Someone needs to teach him defense, but he's a rooky. He gets a pass from me until 2nd year and/or, we get a coach that can teach him something about the concept of D.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:09 am

One of the better draft picks last season. He can be a solid player, just needs to bulk up a bit.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Best 2nd round pick of the draft. :jam2:
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:30 pm

Better then most first round picks too. The guy is seriously good. :deal:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:18 pm

I said I really like what I see from this kid early on while others were bashing him. The kid at this point is a better Luke (yes I know many fans have a negative emotion on Luke but I never did). He isn't overly athletic but has a little bit to lean on. What he is though is very smart and plays the game from a mental stand point. I'm interested in his upside if he can get that strength some are talking about and if he can get better on defense. To be honest I think he is doing decently on the defensive side too.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:27 pm

He's starting to convince me that we need to keep him.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:59 am

Barnstable wrote:He's starting to convince me that we need to keep him.

At worst, he is Luke Walton. At best he's Chandler Parsons?

Worth a 2 year deal, vet min or something close.
Chillbongo

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:32 am

^

Something like that, yes. He's a better rebounder then Parsons though. When he gets over 20 minutes, he will grab at least 6 boards. Parsons gets around 5.5 in about 38 minutes.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:01 am

I don't like him....like most of the Lakers this season. He shows here and there that he can play but is not consistent enough to warrant a role player position on any NBA team.

There is a reason the Lakers SUCK. People like these scrubs because they are giving you more than you expected from a player that is supposed to play 5mpg. They have 20 point games here and there but thats not gonna cut it. If you have a championship team than these guys are rotting at the end of the bench and averaging 2/1/.4 or something and are considered garbage.

Just because we are playing scrubs heavy minutes and they put some stats on the sheet doesn't make them any good. Kelly like 90% of this team doesn't play defense and isn't consistent on offense. Would I keep him? for a minimum K and a 14th spot on the roster yes...anything more? no.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:24 am

KB24 wrote:I don't like him....like most of the Lakers this season. He shows here and there that he can play but is not consistent enough to warrant a role player position on any NBA team.

There is a reason the Lakers SUCK. People like these scrubs because they are giving you more than you expected from a player that is supposed to play 5mpg. They have 20 point games here and there but thats not gonna cut it. If you have a championship team than these guys are rotting at the end of the bench and averaging 2/1/.4 or something and are considered garbage.

Just because we are playing scrubs heavy minutes and they put some stats on the sheet doesn't make them any good. Kelly like 90% of this team doesn't play defense and isn't consistent on offense. Would I keep him? for a minimum K and a 14th spot on the roster yes...anything more? no.
This is the cold hard truth.. Guys like Brooks & Bazemore have put up games since coming here that have people ready to sign them next season yet they couldn't even get in games on an underachieving Warriors team.. With the exception of guys like Nick Young & Kaman who have produced on other teams in the past I don't think we know how good any of our role players are because the team is just that bad.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:16 am

Every team needs role players and bench players. Every single player on our team could come back for us in a bench role and I'd be happy. Obviously that's not how it's going to work, but that's the main vision here.

No one wants to bring back Ryan Kelly and give him 30 minutes a game, but he's cheap and he's a solid role player on any team. I don't see any argument for not bringing him back if it's on a minimum contract.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:50 am

This team is filled with BENCH PLAYERS, like it or not. Outside of a few that may pass as starters, these guys are overachieving more than they should. As they should, they're playing for contracts.

HOWEVER, this doesn't discount the fact that these are still very skilled players. It's not like the team that played OKC were playing against their bench players. It's one game, same with the Clippers win, and the Houston win...there's just no consistency in the minutes, but that's the nature of being a bench player.

We're not talking about the next Kobe, Lebron - but putting together a solid bench to support the stars when they rest.

Right now, Kelly is proving to be decent backup 4. Not the best, but serviceable and most likely, cheap.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:53 am

He looks better than Vlad Rad. Who earned the MLE IIRC.

Vet min. People don't think he's worth that?
Chillbongo

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion