Ryan Kelly Discussion: Medina - 2 year deal, no options (19)

Re: Ryan Kelly Discussion:

Postby trodgers on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:46 pm

I was going to say that he's not on Vlad's level, but honestly - he's close. He shows flashes of being a good player and has some mental lapses. He does remind me of Luke and Vlad - timely with some plays on defense, has a solid skill level, not good athleticism, but he can fill the stat sheet when he's on.

In his 14 starts, he is averaging: 10.9 points, 4.2 rebounds, 2.3 assists. He's a rookie, he's doing well.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:31 pm

For those of you out there that like looking at PER......

http://hoopshype.com/articles/hoopshype/how-are-2013-draftees-performing-508

Ryan Kelly has the 5th best PER in the draft class, moving up 43 spots from where he was drafted.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Thanks Doc for sharing that. I don't normally look at PER but I found it interesting to see how all the picks stacked up.

Great Pick for us considering where we were at in the selection process.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Armani on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:31 pm

In today's league, big men that can space the floor have a lot of value. The guy isn't inefficient either... he's shooting around 50 eFG%. I would bring him back... try develop him more on the rebounding/defense end, see if he gets somewhere.
Armani

Postby Armani on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:08 am

On Lakers rookie Ryan Kelly's potential: "He's stronger than Kevin Durant was when he came in [the league] and can do basically the same things, but he has to start [training] now."

At least he's got MWP's vote of confidence. :man10:
Armani

Postby Juronimo on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:28 am

Armani wrote:
On Lakers rookie Ryan Kelly's potential: "He's stronger than Kevin Durant was when he came in [the league] and can do basically the same things, but he has to start [training] now."

At least he's got MWP's vote of confidence. :man10:

Well R Kelly has a lot of training to do if he's going to become the best player in basketball.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Barnstable on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:57 am

Kelly's definitely a keeper IMO. I don't think we properly recognize a good rooky when we see one because as Lakers fans, it seems like we hardly ever see a good pick. But Kelly is going to be a solid contributor in this league IMO.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Herm24 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:18 pm

Barnstable wrote:Kelly's definitely a keeper IMO. I don't think we properly recognize a good rooky when we see one because as Lakers fans, it seems like we hardly ever see a good pick. But Kelly is going to be a solid contributor in this league IMO.

Maybe not, but I definitely recognize a mispelled word when I see one
Herm24

Postby Barnstable on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:26 pm

Herm24 wrote:
Barnstable wrote:Kelly's definitely a keeper IMO. I don't think we properly recognize a good rooky when we see one because as Lakers fans, it seems like we hardly ever see a good pick. But Kelly is going to be a solid contributor in this league IMO.

Maybe not, but I definitely recognize a mispelled word when I see one

Okay? :man3:

Like "mispelled"? :man10:
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:26 pm

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:49 pm

he can be a Chandler Parsons for us...does a lil bit of everything
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:55 pm

I like Kelly a lot. I don't know that he's capable of playing big minutes like Parsons. I see a lot of potential there though. He's young still, he's clearly a smart player, and he's showing growth as the year goes on.

I'd be shocked if he's not retained at a cheap price.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm reserving judgement on Kelly until we see him under a different coach.. Lots of players look like offensive monsters under D'antoni & are never heard from again once they have a new coach.. If his impact was on the defensive end or something I'd be right there hyping him up.. Definitely seen enough from him to warrant bringing him back next season.
LakersN4

Postby trodgers on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:00 pm

Note to self: Metta's out of his mind.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby jlkr on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:12 pm

Well lots of players don't do well in places, then they end up with the Spurs and suddenly, it's "who knew this guy could play?" Danny Green and Marco Bellinelli to name a couple of retreads. Or look at how well Monta Ellis is doing in Dallas now that he has a top-level coach and is playing alongside a superstar big who spaces the floor very well.

Or it's like the guys who have career shooting percentages playing next to Kobe because they're getting better shots than they ever did before.

Kelly will definitely have a career in the NBA, he's the kind of guy who would do very well as a backup in San Antonio or Dallas, he fits their systems and could definitely be coached to play team defense well. Further, his game doesn't rely on physicality that much so he could be in the league for several years easily.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby halekulani on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:17 pm

the only thing that would hold kelly back is that foot injury
i certainly wish him the best of luck and best of health for a long career.
halekulani

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:06 pm

jlkr wrote:Well lots of players don't do well in places, then they end up with the Spurs and suddenly, it's "who knew this guy could play?" Danny Green and Marco Bellinelli to name a couple of retreads. Or look at how well Monta Ellis is doing in Dallas now that he has a top-level coach and is playing alongside a superstar big who spaces the floor very well.

Or it's like the guys who have career shooting percentages playing next to Kobe because they're getting better shots than they ever did before.

Kelly will definitely have a career in the NBA, he's the kind of guy who would do very well as a backup in San Antonio or Dallas, he fits their systems and could definitely be coached to play team defense well. Further, his game doesn't rely on physicality that much so he could be in the league for several years easily.

Screw that :man1: , I hope he has that career on the Lakers. Solid, smart player who should only get better. Great late 2nd round pickup. :jam2: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby Barnstable on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:00 pm

Dude is solid. He needs to stay a Laker for years to come
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:53 pm

Ryan Kelly is a decent rebounder, an above average shot blocker, a smart positional defender and a knock down shooter. He will continue to improve his game. I see him as a top 8 rotation player RIGHT NOW, and if he can be more confident with his shot (and his level of aggression) then I believe he can be a more defensively minded version of someone like Ryan Anderson. He should model his offensive game after Dirk...since he is very similar on that end. He is a better, scrappier defender than Dirk though...I really like Ryan's game, and we need to lock him up for a few years to see where his game goes. Shooters, especially fundamentally sound bigs with defense and rebounding and a tough attitude, are RARE.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:39 pm

I definitely agree that he is a rotation player who should stay with the team. These types of players are valuable in this league, and he's actually willing to play some defense, although there is apparently no one coaching it on this team.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:59 am

Kelly - 20 minutes and 9 boards
Pau and Kaman - 57 minutes and 10 boards

Who is the stretch 4 again?
Doc Brown

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:13 am

Doc Brown wrote:Kelly - 20 minutes and 9 boards
Pau and Kaman - 57 minutes and 10 boards

Who is the stretch 4 again?

I'd love to see the % of those rebounds that are contested.. I see Kaman & Pau being boxed out far more often than Kelly.. I looked for the numbers on 82games but couldn't find them. Definitely don't think overall numbers are telling the whole story here.
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:40 am

I see two bigs getting a combined 10 boards in 57 minutes. I don't need an advanced stat to tell me that isn't good and that Ryan Kelly didn't get boxed out.
Doc Brown

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:42 am

I really like Kelly and hope he sticks around long term. He'd be a great backup for Love. And Marshall will be a great backup for Exum. :mhihi:
Savory Griddles

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:03 am

i really like this kid's all around game...i think he can fit in any type of system and hope we keep him
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion