Ryan Kelly Discussion: Medina - 2 year deal, no options (19)

Re: Ryan Kelly Discussion:

Postby XXIV on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:03 pm

Maybe it's MDA's system or he's just a good basketball player. Either way I'd like the Lakers to sign him, preferably on a cheap 2-3 year deal with a team option for maybe the last year. I don't understand why they didn't sign him to a longer deal in the first place but with a team option.
XXIV

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:23 pm

XXIV wrote:Maybe it's MDA's system or he's just a good basketball player. Either way I'd like the Lakers to sign him, preferably on a cheap 2-3 year deal with a team option for maybe the last year. I don't understand why they didn't sign him to a longer deal in the first place but with a team option.

Because it was questionable if he was even going to be able to play this season coming off of his foot injury.
LakersN4

Postby XXIV on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:38 pm

LakersN4 wrote:
XXIV wrote:Maybe it's MDA's system or he's just a good basketball player. Either way I'd like the Lakers to sign him, preferably on a cheap 2-3 year deal with a team option for maybe the last year. I don't understand why they didn't sign him to a longer deal in the first place but with a team option.

Because it was questionable if he was even going to be able to play this season coming off of his foot injury.

That's why I said with a team option.
XXIV

Postby Barnstable on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:19 am

XXIV wrote:
LakersN4 wrote:

That's why I said with a team option.

I also doubt they expected him to immerge as being as good as he has been in his rooky year.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:38 am

XXIV wrote:Maybe it's MDA's system :disagree: or he's just a good basketball player :jam2: . Either way I'd like the Lakers to sign him, preferably on a cheap 2-3 year deal with a team option for maybe the last year. I don't understand why they didn't sign him to a longer deal in the first place but with a team option.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:06 am

He was signed on a rookie contract in the 2nd round of the NBA draft.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:31 pm

Just listened to him being interviewed by Mike Trudell prior to Mavericks game tonight. He definitely has confidence and a competitive edge to him. Smart, well spoken kid whose game has progressed as he has continued to work on it "during" the season. He did bring up how he could not work or practice all summer long because of the foot healing after surgery. I really expect him to work hard this summer and come back (hopefully to Lakers) an even better player in his sophomore season.

Wonder how if he had not had the injury coming into the league, and even with it, he compares to Radmanovic at the same age, or his rookie year in NBA? I think he will be a more complete and a better player.
LTLakerFan

Postby karacha on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:50 pm

Well, Radman was more athletic, stronger, more muscular... but other then that, there are some similarities.

"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:11 pm

I'd be pretty sure Kelly will put some muscle on next couple of years. At the same young age was Radman what you would call stronger, more muscular? Just asking, I know this is not easy quick comparison from memory.
LTLakerFan

Postby karacha on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:47 pm

I think Radman was naturally stronger, but that's something Kelly can work on. But he'll never be as athletic as Radman. It's just that Vlad never really used his explosiveness that much; he preferred to shoot the long ball. Kelly is a more talented defender though. He also rebounds better.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:17 am

Radman was a little bit of a waste of talent. He could have been an important piece to a championship team from a talent/tools perspective. But Phil called him Space Cadet and My Favorite Martian for a reason. Guy had the intelligence of a Chinchilla.
Savory Griddles

Postby trodgers on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:09 pm

karacha wrote:Well, Radman was more athletic, stronger, more muscular... but other then that, there are some similarities.

They both broke their neck on a drive.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:48 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PreyrU5Ie74

I don't know why the youtube thing isn't working... but in case ya'll forgot! :man9:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:52 am

Glad you posted this vid up...I like his promise as a future rotational piece on a good team. I think we found a keeper in Kelly...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:57 am

therealdeal wrote:
I don't know why the youtube thing isn't working... but in case ya'll forgot! :man9:

Just gotta take out the "s" in the http.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks. Why does that happen?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:08 am

Man Kelly looks solid. I hope we can keep most of our guys.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:10 am

therealdeal wrote:Thanks. Why does that happen?

I don't f***ing know. :man10: You think I write code or something? I got the tip from Roo.

BTW, you used the url tags instead of the youtube tags, so that may have been a tad bit problematic as well. :man12:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:16 am

Kelly got snubbed out of the 2nd team all-rookie team IMO.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:19 am

Punk-101 wrote:

I don't f***ing know. :man10: You think I write code or something? I got the tip from Roo.

BTW, you used the url tags instead of the youtube tags, so that may have been a tad bit problematic as well. :man12:

I changed the tag once the youtube one didn't work. :man10: I thought you knew everything?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:06 am

therealdeal wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:

I changed the tag once the youtube one didn't work. :man10: I thought you knew everything?

Someone's thrilled to be able to post embedded youtube clips again. :mhihi:
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:11 am

I'm going nuts!
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:16 am

Because you're logged in, making it a secure connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Secure
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:22 am

Well thank you sir. That was much more informative than Punk's response. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:07 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Kelly got snubbed out of the 2nd team all-rookie team IMO.

I agree. Are there seriously 10 better rookies this season? This was the worst draft class I have EVER seen. MCW and Oladipo wouldn't have made second team for some years.
Savory Griddles

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion