Ryan Kelly Discussion: Sitting out due to hamstring injury

Ryan Kelly Discussion: Sitting out due to hamstring injury

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:39 pm

Ariza3

Re: Ryan Kelly Discussion:

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:43 pm

I have absolutely zero opinion on this guy because he's never played a second as a Laker.

But as a pick... it was a good one. We got a stretch four that could be valuable even without Dwight, but especially with him. Hopefully he comes in with a good attitude and works hard out there. They say he's got a similar game to Ryan Anderson and obviously that would be great for us. I don't know anything about him, but it was a good draft choice by the FO. The first good thing they've done all summer.

Well they also didn't extend qualifying offers to Morris, Goudelock, and Ebanks so that's good too.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:48 pm

Kob3eight wrote:
Blue Devils' Defense Takes Hit
With Ryan Kelly out indefinitely, Duke's defense could struggle. Opponents are shooting just 22 percent against the senior. And Kelly ranks third in the country in fewest points allowed per play (minimum 100 plays defended). Here's a look at where that puts him among 307 qualified players:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8830027/ryan-kelly-duke-blue-devils-indefinitely-right-foot-injury

Duke misses Ryan Kelly's defense most
When Ryan Kelly suffered a foot injury Jan. 8 at Clemson, it was casually assumed that Duke would miss his offense more than anything. After all, Kelly's versatility on the offensive end — his ability, at 6-foot-11, to knock down shots from the perimeter — had long been his greatest strength. He was the perfect hybrid four to play alongside Mason Plumlee, who benefitted from the extra space vacated by Kelly's extension on the perimeter. Plus, Ryan Kelly, lockdown defender? That reputation did not precede him.

RealGM's Dan Hanner crunched the comparative numbers for a handful of injury-riddled teams, and what he found about Duke was not exactly what you'd expect. Yes, Duke's offense has taken a slight dip without Kelly. But — turns out — his impact has been felt far more acutely on defense, where the Blue Devils have taken a verifiable adjusted efficiency nosedive — from 82.4 points per game allowed to 95.7.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/74441/duke-misses-ryan-kellys-defense-most

Ryan Kelly is Duke's defensive quarterback against Louisville
When the Duke staff watched the video of the Blue Devils' Sweet 16 win over Michigan State in the early hours of Saturday morning, associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski wanted to hear one thing.
Colors.

Apparently, senior forward Ryan Kelly is a screaming rainbow for Duke, which uses different color commands to identify defensive calls. Like a quarterback at the line, Kelly is making calls for how to play a ball screen or when to double in the post.

He also screams out phrases such as “force him to me” on penetration, “I've got your help middle” and “force him baseline.”

Wojciechowski heard just the right pitch when watching the replay.

“Ryan is our unifier,” Wojciechowski said.

If Duke knocks off top-seeded Louisville in Sunday's Elite Eight, Kelly will be a catalyst without needing to make a shot, which is entirely possible.

Much has been made of Kelly's triumphant, 39-point return against Miami after missing nearly two months with a foot injury. In his last five games, however, Kelly is shooting 30.7 percent (12-of-39), including 0-of-11 from 3.

Yet Kelly played one of his better all-around games in the 71-61 win over Michigan State on Friday night largely because of his reactionary defense. His doubles on center Derrick Nix the moment that Nix dribbled were flawless, Wojciechowski said. Throw in Kelly's seven rebounds and four blocks against the Spartans, along with the presence of 7-foot center Mason Plumlee, and Duke has a chance to combat Russ Smith's Matrix moves in the paint.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21978038/ryan-kelly-is-dukes-defensive-quarterback-against-louisville

Found this on Reddit.

Here's some good info from a nice old timer on here.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Same shot release as Turkoglu ...

Don't follow college ball so I can't "judge" the pick
wcsoldier81

Postby Helljumper on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Naw, who cares about good info and stats. He's white so he's Luke Walton. And one guy tweeted that he wasn't a good defender so that means our management just colossally butchered this pick. This is the decision that will haunt us for years to come. It will singlehandedly cause Dwight to leave and cripple our franchise for all of eternity...

But yeah, this was a good pick. He provides a skillset we need and comes from a good program. After years of getting guys like Chukwudiebere Maduabum, Ater Majok, and Chinemelu Elonu, I'm not sure why anyone would be disappointed in this pick.
Helljumper

Postby 432J on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:31 am

Chukwudiebere Maduabum
:man10: :man10: :man10:

at first i just assume he'll be another typical late 2nd round laker pick. won't make any contribution at all and be at the end of the bench all year. but kelly is alot better than those hilarious names we've taken in the past so i do have a little hope
432J

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:53 am

Lakers drafted R-Kelly? :man1:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby noobiew on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:17 am

Ryan Kelly was projected to go 57th but we go for him at 48th, Mitch must be very high on him and see some upside on him other teams didn't.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby The Rock on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:27 am

He reminds me of Brian Cook...which is not that bad since Cook was one of the best 3 point shooters in Lakers history (% wise). He has a little bit of A-Hole in him

He sounds like the perfect guy to put next to Jordan HIll and Earl Clark off the bench, obviously he cant defend well and physical limitations but Hill/Clark can do a little bit of roaming and help him out.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:37 am

What Kelly has is the potential to become much more than that in D'Antoni's system since he possesses the secondary skills to be a part of other parts of the offense that are created by the Lakers' stars. The team consistently lacked a guy who could step in and fill that role as a consistent release valve for the offense, whether it was for ballhandlers in the pick-and-roll, guys posting up down low, or just something happening off a broken play. Kelly can be effective in this regard since he has the skills and basketball IQ to recognize these situations and maintain the offensive flow that D'Antoni requires. By filling this role, Kelly in turn allows everyone else to be better in their jobs, a mild hyperbole supported by how essential spacing is to the modern NBA game, not just D'Antoni's offense.

That might give the impression that D'Antoni himself is expendable and perhaps that is the case, but considering all the drama last year about running a spread floor system that emphasizes spacing, Kelly is quite the leap in that direction. He checks off essentially every category that D'Antoni asks from his big men and there's practically no scenario in which Kelly couldn't be useful in some fashion to D'Antoni on the offensive end. We talked about D'Antoni having a limited opportunity to get players that were more attuned to his system and principles in the offseason and Kelly is a pretty clear example of this. As badly as he was maligned last year for the Lakers' woes, D'Antoni did find a framework that worked in Horns and Kelly is about as good of a fit for that as you could find in the draft. We often deride looking more at schematic fit than talent when observing the big board, but for a coach in D'Antoni's case, Kelly is a step in the right direction.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:03 am

I liked the pick when it happened and I still do. We got a guy from a good school, a school I've actually heard of, that was one of his teams best players and that actually played well in the tournament while his school went pretty deep. Guy isn't a star, but he can shoot from deep, is 6'11, and I believe was Duke's leading shot blocker at 1.6 per game. Don't know if that translates to the NBA, but I think the shooting and supposed BBIQ does, and you could do a lot worse with the 48th pick.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:07 am

I'm pretty sure MDA will find some minutes for him. Nothing extreme, but if he can stretch the floor at the 4, we can use him. It's all about his attitude, really. I want him to succeed.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby kobe_008 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:15 am

Vlad Rad
Dirk Look a Like Ill take it
kobe_008

Postby Pig Miller on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:37 am

at about pick 40, i thought, if we could get ryan kelly, i'd be satisfied.

he gives us shooting, some additional length at the 4, and can give us a new look lineup to run out there at times.

as long as his foot isn't an issue, it's my favorite 2nd round pick in quite some time.
Pig Miller

Postby JLaker17 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:38 am

If he can hit outside shots there will be a place for him, and we needed a stretch 4 regardless of the Dwight situation.
JLaker17

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:05 am

Don't follow college ball closely enough to know if there was another guy we should have taken.. From what I'm reading & seeing in the youtube clips he looks like a perfect fit for D'antoni. Would be pretty ironic if he gets to mold our roster to fit his system & then we win the west like his Suns teams. Although 60 wins means nothing if you don't win a chip.
lakersin4

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:48 am

Waits for Hollywood Swinger to show up with his love for Dukees :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby Weezy on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:53 am

LTLakerFan wrote:Waits for Hollywood Swinger to show up with his love for Dukees :man10:

*waits for ben_ready to show up talking about "choir boys", yell.*
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:55 am

Helljumper wrote:Naw, who cares about good info and stats. He's white so he's Luke Walton. And one guy tweeted that he wasn't a good defender so that means our management just colossally butchered this pick. This is the decision that will haunt us for years to come. It will singlehandedly cause Dwight to leave and cripple our franchise for all of eternity...

But yeah, this was a good pick. He provides a skillset we need and comes from a good program. After years of getting guys like Chukwudiebere Maduabum, Ater Majok, and Chinemelu Elonu, I'm not sure why anyone would be disappointed in this pick.

Exactly.... "white" = Luke Walton :man3:

The posts above about his smarts and vocal demeanor on defense plus that sweet stroke, am wondering why he dropped so far? Someone mentioned Brian Cook with the stroke. Looks nicer to me and he puts some freaking arc on his shots unlike line drive Cookie. Does remind of "white" = Dirk though with the facial mannerisms. :man10: Dude looks like he has a good frame to develop in weight room and doesn't look puny for a guy coming out. Especially a "white" guy ..... :man12:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:06 am

therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:50 am

I hereby dub him, Mr. Fantastic!

as in stretch 4... :man12:

I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:57 am

Hell I didn't even think we had a pick this year after giving up so many last several. But what's not to like about this guy coming from great program 4 years under Coach K. The clips also show him with a nice back to the basket lefty/ righty set of moves, banging his way down. Sweet touch at the end. Certainly better than Dwight's touch. Gasol like maybe "skills" wise if he learns from him and from Kobe even better post up techniques for when he finds himself in there, to Dan's excruciating horror.

Why did he drop so freaking far, really looks pretty mature and polished for a college kid with good size from a great program?? Liked his responses in the Q & A above. :jam2: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:03 am

A lot of people are comparing him to a poor man's Ryan Anderson. I wanted Anderson here since we got Dwight. Kelly is definitely a MDA pick. Biggest red flag I saw was that he's hurt. Only has a week left in his rehab, but that may keep him out of the summer league. With the number of injuries we saw last season, anytime you get an injured player, I get a case of flashbacks.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:15 am

JSM wrote:A lot of people are comparing him to a poor man's Ryan Anderson. I wanted Anderson here since we got Dwight. Kelly is definitely a MDA pick. Biggest red flag I saw was that he's hurt. Only has a week left in his rehab, but that may keep him out of the summer league. With the number of injuries we saw last season, anytime you get an injured player, I get a case of flashbacks.

The Lakers have said he won't likely play in the Summer League. They really want him to just focus on rehab and get fixed up.

I think he's a perfect D'Antoni pick, but he's also a perfect Dwight pick. We can run an Orlando lineup now where we have mostly 3 point shooters with maybe one person who can get to the rim (Kobe if he can get healthy). Put out Clark, Kelly, Nash, and Kobe with Dwight. Spacing for days.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ryder Havasu on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:33 am

GoldenKnight wrote:Lakers drafted R-Kelly? :man1:

He's gonna yellow rain 3's all over the defense!!!
Black and Gold / Purple and Gold
check out www.myspace.com/theflipnotes
Ryder Havasu

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion