Sasha and Lakers are talking

Re: Sasha and Lakers are talking

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:16 am

khmrP wrote:
trodgers wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Actually Sasha is more valuable to us at this point than Jordan if forced to choose. He can shoot and in a pinch play point. Farmar is fast and can run..... But no one else on the team can.

wow talk bout short term memory, dude was pretty much Meeks lvl of shooting the year he got booted he only had 1 good shooting season and what do you know it was a contract year too.

Short term is fixating on one season. Wouldn't it?

Sasha's 3pt shooting
Career: .371
Since his third year in the league: .382
In his last year in the league: .370

I'm not sure why we couldn't use that, considering only Nash and Blake shot better than those numbers last year.

and Meeks shot nearly 36% last year but you wouldn't think that seeing all those wide open misses, pretty much Sasha the last season before he got traded.

Actually if I remember correctly, wasn't his 3PT percentage down partly because he stopped shooting the ball? I seem to remember his attempts per game dropping and then when he did shoot it, he had no confidence in the shot.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 am

I don't think Sun Yue will return, Odom might confuse him for a Chinese takeout and swallow him...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:39 am

When Sasha averages more than 2 3's a game (Completely realistic in MDA's offense).....

2005 - 2006 - 18 minutes, 2.1 3's, 34%.......82 games
2006 - 2007 - 13.8 minutes, 2.2 3's, 37%......73 games
2007 - 2008 - 17.8 minutes, 3.8 3's, 44%.......72 games
2008 - 2009 - 16.2 minutes, 2.8 3's, 36%.......80 games
2010 - 2011 - 29 minutes, 4.6 3's, 37% (With Nets).....56 games

Total - 412/1,081 - 38% ---> Same percentage as his playoff 3 point %.

Other seasons
2004 - 2005 - 11.5 minutes, 1.8 3's, 27%......35 games
2009 - 2010 - 8.6 minutes, 1.2 3's, 31%......67 games
2010 - 2011 - 4.9 minutes, 0.6 3's, 43% (Only shot 7 3's)....11 games

Total 45 / 151 - 30%
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:58 am

therealdeal wrote:Actually if I remember correctly, wasn't his 3PT percentage down partly because he stopped shooting the ball? I seem to remember his attempts per game dropping and then when he did shoot it, he had no confidence in the shot.

and we want a player like that back because? I honestly dont care what the particulars were for his decline, I want to see results on the floor. Meeks NEVER loses confidence in his abilities to continue chucking away, dont seem to help him make anymore shots. One thing to be a dead eye shooter in "practice" but if you stinking it up on floor during the game, does it serve us any good? I mean Shannon Brown who was a throw-away fill in with that Ammo trade and ended up out playing Sasha, that pretty much should say enough of why we dont need a guy like Sasha back, we already have our resident heart/hustle brick machine in Meeks.
Last edited by khmrP on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:00 am

NOOOOOOOOOOO! :disagree: Bad enough to Meeks shooting poorly. Do we want two shooters who can't shoot consistently? Please let's stay away. Do not want.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:02 am

I can't think of anything Meeks is better at than Sasha. Maybe (non-technical) FTs?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:18 am

trodgers wrote:I can't think of anything Meeks is better at than Sasha. Maybe (non-technical) FTs?

I think Meeks is a better athlete, but he's also a few inches shorter as well.

Either way, I'd hope Sasha takes more of a SF role on this team and we look to find a better SG fit.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:21 am

Yes bring the Machine back. I want guys who aren't afraid of the moment.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Forklift on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:35 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Yes bring the Machine back. I want guys who aren't afraid of the moment.

this. One thing he has over Meeks he is fearless i mean he isn't known for dunking and then wtf!

Forklift

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:40 am

i'm in..please bring back the machine
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:43 am

I don't get the fascination. The problem for me is that I feel like Sasha and Meeks are essentially the same player. Both are terrific shooters who can't seem to hit a shot to save their lives when it matters. They are both incredibly inconsistent. They both are godawful defenders. We already have one such player on the roster. I don't see why we need two. I'd like to get a more consistent shooter/better defender instead.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:46 am

Lakerjones wrote:I don't get the fascination. The problem for me is that I feel like Sasha and Meeks are essentially the same player. Both are terrific shooters who can't seem to hit a shot to save their lives when it matters. They are both incredibly inconsistent. They both are godawful defenders. We already have one such player on the roster. I don't see why we need two. I'd like to get a more consistent shooter/better defender instead.

Completely agree, LJ. Well said. You know the argument, though; "We have no financial flexibility." OJ Mayo would be ideal; he's too expensive. I guess we'll have to see how this plays out...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby gcclaker on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:48 am

Vujacic did OK when he was given good minutes. In 2010, he was playing very well during the latter part of the season until a bad ankle injury disrupted his timing and confidence. Not sure if I can handle seeing Vujacic commit really stupid fouls on the floor again. His game should suit D'Antoni's system provided he's around as coach that is.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:51 am

Lakerjones wrote:I don't get the fascination. The problem for me is that I feel like Sasha and Meeks are essentially the same player. Both are terrific shooters who can't seem to hit a shot to save their lives when it matters. They are both incredibly inconsistent. They both are godawful defenders. We already have one such player on the roster. I don't see why we need two. I'd like to get a more consistent shooter/better defender instead.

i just wanna see him and Dragic go at it again...that was good comedy
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:58 am

Shooters are shooters I think and I think we're trying our damnedest to get shooters.

I'm not excited about Vujacic. I would rather we go after a few other options first. Namely Garcia or Delfino if Delfino is healthy. Obviously there's the other guys like Morrow and Wright, but if I remember Wright is getting better than mini-MLE offers. Budinger would obviously be great, but apparently he's too expensive too.

I'd love if we signed Ellington. I think he's got some scoring potential although he's mostly off of the ball. He's a good shooter. He's got some Chris Douglas-Roberts qualities to him. Then sign a defender outside like Garcia. Garcia isn't young, but he's feisty and can hit from outside as well.

Then if you want to bring in Sasha that's fine. But there's other options that have to be exhausted first.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:37 am

Yeah, there are indeed better options. I think Buddinger, Wright, and G. Henderson will all sign right around 4-5 million per. What is the word on G. Henderson, anyway? So getting one of them to buy in -- assuming we keep Dwight -- could be done, with that player getting a player option soon so he can get more money when we have cap room soon.

Regarding Sasha -- I always hated his dumb hand check fouls and his hands to his own face reactions afterwards. But watching Leonard miss his first FT and a chance to put the Spurs up 4 with 24 seconds to go, reminded me of how lucky we were to have Sasha step off the bench and knock BOTH down so that Ray Allen couldn't do to us what he did to the Spurs. We sort of take those FTs for granted 3 years later. But they were HUGE for a game 7 win -- and AGAINST THOSE B-TARDS. Watching Nash miss a couple this year with the game on the line and then seeing Parker, Ginobli, and Leonard all split a pair to go 3 of 6 when 4 of 6 would have gotten them a title, makes me remember and appreciate Sasha's cluthness at that moment forever more. I really don't want him back. But I thought I would use this post to give him another :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: -- in light of the Spurs' choke jobs at the line. : )
tigerjeterkobe

Postby XXIV on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:40 am

I believe Henderson is a RFA so his team will definitely match whatever offer we could give him.
XXIV

Postby 432J on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:50 am

i think morrow or budinger would be the best acquisitions for this team but if they can't sign those guys i'd love to see sasha back. yes after 2008 he was pretty bad but he brings great energy off the bench and is bigger than meeks
432J

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:48 am

I want a guy who has the balls to sit an entire game 7 of the NBA finals.... calmly walks up and shoots 2 freethrows against our most hated team. You don't teach ice cold. Kobe loved Sasha and Drew damn near hated him. Wonder why the guy with the most demanding needs on the team loves the guy while the lazy guy didn't. I'd take him back especially cause he will take less money to be back home.

I do like Garcia too. I think the dude is a gamer.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby eznoh on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:58 am

If they're going to tank next year, can't think of 2 more perfect players for tanking!

Mike
eznoh

Postby gcclaker on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:01 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I want a guy who has the balls to sit an entire game 7 of the NBA finals.... calmly walks up and shoots 2 free throws against our most hated team. You don't teach ice cold.

Not to mention get his hair and 'brows in place prior to shooting them.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:11 pm

gcclaker wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:I want a guy who has the balls to sit an entire game 7 of the NBA finals.... calmly walks up and shoots 2 free throws against our most hated team. You don't teach ice cold.

yes he did take pride in making sure he was in prime looking standards for his photo ops. lol. Atleast he didnt have the Mike miller mini headband.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

yes he did take pride in making sure he was in prime looking standards for his photo ops. lol. Atleast he didnt have the Mike miller mini headband.

Or the Mike Miller crack addiction.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Sasha and Farmar back? Why not bring Shannon Brown back too? We'd have to order a crate of basketballs for that crew.

The funny thing, well not funny as in haha funny but funny as in I want to jump off a bridge is that crew of chuckers would run circles around our woefully horrid backup Z-league back court of last season.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Juronimo wrote:Sasha and Farmar back? Why not bring Shannon Brown back too? We'd have to order a crate of basketballs for that crew.

The funny thing, well not funny as in haha funny but funny as in I want to jump off a bridge is that crew of chuckers would run circles around our woefully horrid backup Z-league back court of last season.

I only want Sasha. Both Shannon and Farmer let their egos get in the way. Sasha no matter what was going on played his butt off each and every play of the game. I'll take that.
puffyusaf#2

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion