Scale of 1-10, your confidence level in Mike Brown

Re: Scale of 1-10, your confidence level in Mike Brown

Postby BadCoaching on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:48 pm

Finwë wrote:
Scnottaken wrote:I just realized I never gave a number to my confidence level in MB. . . I say potato.

:man10: :man10:

ahhh hahaha
BadCoaching

Postby BamBam-31 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Can they do that German blood treatment thing on Mike Brown's potato?
BamBam-31

Postby John3:16 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:19 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:#1. Racism

:bang:

Why? He took us farther than Phil did.

Phil led us to 5 titles. I must've slept thru Browns 6 titles.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:51 am

Racism?!?!? RACISM?!?!?

:man10: :man10: :man10: :bang: :bang: :bang:

And here I thought I've seen it all...
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby karacha on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:26 am

Many people here wanted Brian Shaw. So much for the "racism" card.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Congo Cash on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:43 am

:man10: :man10: :man10:

I wanted Nate McMillan and like Eddie Jordan, so much for your [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] racism theory...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:49 am

Mike Brown is probably the nicest coach we've had. He is generally a really nice guy. But being nice is not what a coach is about. A coach needs to be in control and command the respect of his troops.

If you are going onto the battlefield, do you want a really nice general that is always high fiving and smiling. Or do you want a guy who is really good at commanding its troops, and have the experience to have the right strategy to put you in a competitive advantage?
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:50 am

I believe this will stop us now from criticizing MB for pc sake :man10: Smarta**es are infecting the other threads with this lol...this issue is a juggler knot fa sho
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby kray28 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:15 am

Every time I start feeling really good about the Lakers, someone reminds me that Mike Brown is still the coach.
kray28

Postby SK8 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:27 am

Somewhere about 7 and 8. You are overreacting on Mike Brown, and writing like he is the worst coach in the league. Yes, he did have some mind blowing moves last season, but i don't have problem with that. He tried some things and it didn't work, so what? He will do much much better, you'll see.
He manage to get that trash Cleveland team only with LeBron so far in playoff, with team that he got now, he will be OK.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:36 am

KB24stk wrote:He manage to get that trash Cleveland team only with LeBron so far in playoff, with team that he got now, he will be OK.

Why do people keep saying this? It's so far from being true......

He didn't only have Lebron, the Cavs just so happened to be in the. ".500 and your the 5th seed Eastern Conference", weak conference, it wasn't like he was the saving grace that pushed the Cavs farther then they could have gotten.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby kray28 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:40 am

I figure we'll be fine in the regular season...that's never what really worries me with a coach like Brown (except for the fact that he literally ran Kobe and Pau into the ground). Better depth now should alleviate that issue.

The real thing that troubles me is what happens in the playoffs when the opposing coach is going to outcoach Brown 9 times out of 10. Good example would be Brown's joke level coaching performance in our 7 game series with the Nuggets. Karl coached circles around Brown in that series....taking a far inferior team and using it to attack the core weaknesses of the Lakers. In a normal series (if say Phil was coaching), that buys you 1, maybe 2 wins, then the counter adjustments are made and the Lakers seal the deal.

That did not happen at all in the Denver series. Basically Pau showed up, Kobe did his thing, and the players won Game 7.
kray28

Postby hypotenuse on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:08 am

kray28 wrote:Every time I start feeling really good about the Lakers, someone reminds me that Mike Brown is still the coach.

Ha that's how I feel about it as well. My only hope is that Brown (and the Lakers FO) at least is good about their assistant coaching hires.. for example Person I still on as an assistant coach, even though he was an assistant coach as part of the old Jackson-lead regime.

Judging from the vast majority of these answers it doesn't seem like any of the hardcore Laker fans have any faith whatsoever in Brown. A lot of my disbelief comes from the fact that Brown doesn't seem to have any sort of offensive system in place. I mean there are sets and schemes the Lakers run but a lot of it seems to be basic cutting/spacing of the floor for 3-point shooters, something that is easily done in pickup games. While Brown has undoubtedly given the Lakers a better defensive system that won't mean that much until the Lakers can run the sets they want down the stretch.

Postby KB24 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:16 am

Kray

I actually think Brown out-coached Brooks in the Thunder series.

The Thunder were running all over the Lakers in game 1. After that Brown made better adjustments and kept making it impossible for the Thunder to recover except for the elimination game in which the Lakers are traditionally awful on the road. We would have easily won game 2 with Kobe not choking it away. Game 3 was a solid win, game 4 was a very very unfortunate loss...thanks to Gasol's lack of balls.

Also saying Brown ran Kobe to the ground is kind of not true. Kobe did play many minutes but

1. It was a short season
2. He had 2 weeks of rest right before the playoffs

I don't think Kobe's performance in the post season was by the least affected by fatigue. And please stop giving Gasol an excuse and a pass every year when he sucks.

Gasol 2009: 37:00 mpg
Gasol 2010: 37:00 mpg
Gasol 2011: 37:00 mpg
Gasol 2012: 37:23 mpg

those 23 seconds barely count as a significant increase when you count a shorted season...again I'm aware that it was a compressed season and that these players aren't getting younger but the Laker players had basically off from early mai until late december so fatigue is a terrible excuse. Gasol had already pussed out the year before againt scrubs. First people called complacency an issue, the popular excuse after that back then was that 3 straight finals took a toll on his body.

At the end of the day it is what it is. You only win if you want it more than your opponent and if you muscle through it. Don't you think LeBron was fatigued playing 40+ minutes at PF in the playoffs? nobody cares why you lost when you lose. The Lakers finished last season 41-25 which is rather awful and they were especially terrible on the road. Its about getting better, especially with the reinforcements.

Mike Brown doesn't have any excuses anymore. He has to deliver now and while he is far away from being the smartest coach in the league he puts emphasis on defense and doesn't shy away from established players. He has benched everyone when they didn't play with effort and this team always needs a kick in their arse or else they get complacent.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby kray28 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:38 am

Only adjustment that Brown made was to slow down the game plan even more, and basically play the starters huge minutes.

It was a good adjustment given our personnel and lack of viable depth...but the downside was that our starters were unable to execute well down the stretch. My hope is that increased depth...used wisely (and there's the rub) helps keep Kobe a bit more fresh to get things done in the fourth. With Dwight's freethrow shooting, we'll need Kobe/Nash to close things down the stretch for us.
kray28

Postby jamabile on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:41 am

It's at a 6 right now; however, we upgraded our coaching staff. We have good offensive and defensive minds. We don't have to be relegated to players drawing up plays like they did last year in the huddle unless Nash or Kobe suggest something.

The one thing I do like about Brown is he will allow other coaches/players to make suggestions and adjustment applying them during the course of a game. If he does the same this year with his coaching staff and players, he'll be fine...
jamabile

Postby Finwë on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 am

KB24 wrote:Kray

I actually think Brown out-coached Brooks in the Thunder series.

The Thunder were running all over the Lakers in game 1. After that Brown made better adjustments and kept making it impossible for the Thunder to recover except for the elimination game in which the Lakers are traditionally awful on the road. We would have easily won game 2 with Kobe not choking it away. Game 3 was a solid win, game 4 was a very very unfortunate loss...thanks to Gasol's lack of balls.

He did outcoach him games 2,3 & 4. But that's not saying much, IMO Brooks is one of the most overrated coaches in the L, which he proved in the Finals.

KB24 wrote:Also saying Brown ran Kobe to the ground is kind of not true. Kobe did play many minutes but

1. It was a short season
2. He had 2 weeks of rest right before the playoffs

Yeah because he was INJURED....

Agreed with the rest of your post, especially this:
KB24 wrote:Mike Brown doesn't have any excuses anymore. He has to deliver now and while he is far away from being the smartest coach in the league he puts emphasis on defense and doesn't shy away from established players. He has benched everyone when they didn't play with effort and this team always needs a kick in their arse or else they get complacent.

I liked the comment about how "he doesn't shy away from established players". That was one of the very few things I liked about Brown. He showed some balls from time to time. That breakout game Jordan Hill had vs OKC doesn't happen if Brown shies away from benching Bynum (who was really sucking that game) in the 4th till the end of the game.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Nikez on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:33 am

My confidence in lakers management is sky high. Therefore, I believe when they decided to bring him here they saw something in him that none of us have.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby John3:16 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:51 am

If Brown out coached Brooks, how come we never made an adjustment to Perkins fronting Bynum? How come we had Blake guarding Harden?

I didn't see anything that suggested he out coached anyone, but hey, I'm just a racist.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:58 am

John3:16 wrote:If Brown out coached Brooks, how come we never made an adjustment to Perkins fronting Bynum? How come we had Blake guarding Harden?

I didn't see anything that suggested he out coached anyone, but hey, I'm just a racist.

Or the fact that in multiple games, our offense was Kobe ISO for the last 5 minutes of the game, which ultimately resulted in us getting the L because we couldn't score. This is after Kobe was playing essentially the whole game at 33 and had nothing left in the tank.

If you're the head coach, you don't let that happen. A timeout, a play call off the bench other then ISO, something.

But Hey....I'm White..........W - H - I - T.....

E.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:03 pm

racism

good lord
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby TIME on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:11 pm

I don't know that Brown out coached Brooks. To me it was more like a contest to see who could coach worse. I'll just pick one example of Brown's coaching that sealed the no confidence deal for me. Steve Blake playing back up SG.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby jamabile on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:22 pm

^Steve Blake playing any position hurt our team. He's horrible, but I agree with you. There's no excuse for that happening this year at all with the acquisition of Meeks. We have a roster full of talent that if Brown finds any way to mess up, he's gone.

I remember of at least two-three times throughout the year that Brown had players draw up plays on offense. It was absurd. He has no clue what he's doing offensively. That's why he needs to hand that part of his job off and handle the defense.
jamabile

Postby KB24 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:29 pm

John3:16 wrote:If Brown out coached Brooks, how come we never made an adjustment to Perkins fronting Bynum? How come we had Blake guarding Harden?

we didn't make other adjustments because we couldn't or didn't have the depth to change things up.

Our PGs were a complete no show, timid and scared, overwhelmed with Westbrick. Sessions was invisible and Blake was awful after a solid series vs. the Nuggets.

With Bynum and Pau you do not have the flexibility to experiment and move him further out to avoid him getting fronted. So it took a PG to get him the ball but good luck with that. So with him camping in the paint, him getting fronted was inevitable without a PG that makes an entry pass.

Blake vs. Harden...in 5 games Harden shot 36% from the floor and 25% from 3 while getting the second fewest FTs in the playoff rounds, hardly an argument against Brown.

Mike had already played a 3 guard rotation for a while. Who would you have wanted? Glock? no thanks. Barnes was flat out garbage too. In 47 minutes he was 3-10 from the field with 11 fouls. When you play with Westbrook and Harden in the backend, you are going to have to pick your poison.

Really we didn't have too many alternatives. Ebanks was the only option but Ebanks is a show stopper on offense and we didn't lose to OKC on defense, we lost on offense. When we led by 7 with 2 minutes left and we lost, scoring just 12 points in the 4th...or another break down in game 4 with 9 point lead with 6 minutes left and ended up with like 17 in the 4th. We simply couldn't score when it mattered. On defense, we only lost game 1 and game 5 (which is always a challenge on the road in elimination game and in the Kobe era we have always been barbe-qued in those games even though for a change this time he had 42).

Brown certainly wasn't out-coached. Did you really expect the Lakers to do better against the Thunder? We lost 2 very close games. Nobody expected us to win. Sure 4-1 isn't close but neither was the 0-4 flame out the year before with Jackson at the helm.

Look at our 4th quarters and the break downs on offense...

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Center Court on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 pm

Brown: 5/10
Bench: 8/10
Nash/Kobe: 12/10
Center Court

PreviousNext