Scale of 1-10, your confidence level in Mike Brown

Scale of 1-10, your confidence level in Mike Brown

Postby hypotenuse on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Scale of 1-10, your confidence level in Mike Brown leading the Lakers to the promised land?

Re: Scale of 1-10, your confidence level in Mike Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:15 pm

zero.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Yeah, no confidence in Clown.

But thankfully we have Kobe, Nash, Howard, and Pau. My confidence level is a 10 with them. Hopefully that will be enough to make up for Clown's incompetence.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby vaylen on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Rick Adelman-8
Nate McMillan-9
Mike Brown-0

I hope we will win despite him and his half-brained offensive schemes thanks to our new offensive coach, Steve Nash
Last edited by vaylen on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vaylen

Postby 24K GOLD on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:24 pm

negative zero
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:31 pm

0 but anyone could bring this team to the finals
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:34 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:0 but anyone could bring this team to the finals

This.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:38 pm

i'll say 4

only because he's basically like Spoelstra

-defensive minded
-former video coordinator
-in love with stats
-lacks offensive creativity
-noone thought much of him

if that guy can win one, im sure Mr Potato Head can get one also
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Finwë on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:40 pm

8. I think my confidence level is subject to the personnel he's in charge of coaching, and this team is GREAT. Not only are we veeeery talented, but we've got guys with experience, that are hungry and with good bball IQ.
Kobe, Nash, Howard, Gasol & MWP aren't letting a moron coach F everything up.
Also, I think we have to consider that, unlike last year, we are gonna have a full training camp, and much more practice time. Plus, some of the players that had some issues last season are either gone (Bynum) or are gonna be reassured IMO (Gasol).
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Finwë wrote:8. I think my confidence level is subject to the personnel he's in charge of coaching, and this team is GREAT. Not only are we veeeery talented, but we've got guys with experience, that are hungry and with good bball IQ.
Also, I think we have to consider that, unlike last year, we are gonna have a full training camp, and much more practice time. Plus, some of the players that had some issues last season are either gone (Bynum) or are gonna be reassured IMO (Gasol).

^^ It sounds like your faith is in the players not the coach. Seems like your confidence in the coach himself is significantly lower.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:48 pm

5 without Eddie Jordan, 7 with Eddie Jordan
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Zero
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:54 pm

to be fair: a 3

my confidence lies with the players, and hopefully jordan
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Nashty Gal on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:55 pm

somebody take away potato heads mouth and we'll be good
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Lakeshow24 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:59 pm

7. Only because offensively, Mike Brown sucks. But defensively, he's a damn good coach. I can't fault him for last year. Our personnel was not going to get the job done, but our record in the regular season was pretty doggone good IMO. Finishing 3rd in the West was IMo the max of our capability based on our roster.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby John3:16 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Offense: 0

Defense: 8

Overall: 4
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:06 pm

I don't get the hate Mike Brown gets. He's not perfect, but he's not a bad coach by any means. People complained including myself that he wouldn't play Andrew Goudelock. Then we saw Goudelock in the Summer League and how awful he played. It's obvious Brown made the right decision.

Brown was given a worse roster than the team that had just previously been swept yet the team did slightly better. Let's be realistic outside of Kobe, Pau, Drew, Sessions, and MWP that roster was trash yet we somehow finished 3rd in the conference. He coached a horrible team to the Finals in 2007. People say well it was only because of LeBron. Well I say to those people does that apply to Phil Jackson as well? Bottomline as a coach you need great players to be successful.

Mike Brown is a solid basketball coach. Very underrated and not nearly as bad as alot of people make him out to be. As for the question I'd say an 8. I believe in Mike Brown. I believe he is a championship caliber head coach.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby jimbo327 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:45 pm

I give him a 1. My problem with him is that he lacks command. He couldn't win over Drew last year. What makes you think that he can handle Dwight Howard, Nash and Kobe? These are superstars that need a coach that will be tough, and make the right decisions. So far, Brown has not made the right decisions in the offensive rotations or adjustments in game. Stop trying to be a nice guy, and be the coach. Another confidence sapping aspect of Brown is that he actually lets players like Kobe draw up plays. That is a quick way to lose the team's respect if one of your players knows more than you, and basically said you don't know what you are doing.

His assistant coaching staff was mediocre, and his decision to hire them speaks about his talent evaluation.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Offensive: 1 (not 0 because at least he has the willingness to include Princeton sets/motions and other things from the triangle offense)

Defensive: 8

Overall: 5 (Could be a lot worse and surely could be a lot better)
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JSM on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:52 pm

The success we experience this season will be despite Brown, not because of him.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby VincentTH on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Doberman would give Brown a 10 :man9:

Me? a big zero.

- I don't see any defensive improvement vs the P&R, coming from a defensive minded coach.
- Have no clue on how to solve the double team on Bynum
- the 2 PG - none of them can shoot - at the end of the game
- ISO,ISO, ISO
- Your team strength is the twin tower, your team constantly outrebounded, and you play Gasol at the top of the key?
- Bonehead substitution pattern. Kobe on the bench at the 4min mark in the 4th, with team trailing?
- Bonehead substitution pattern #2: In the 2 OKC games in the PO, he overworked the Lakers starters, and IMHO, caused the collapse in the 4th quarter due to fatigue.
Last edited by VincentTH on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VincentTH

Postby Finwë on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:57 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
Finwë wrote:8. I think my confidence level is subject to the personnel he's in charge of coaching, and this team is GREAT. Not only are we veeeery talented, but we've got guys with experience, that are hungry and with good bball IQ.

^^ It sounds like your faith is in the players not the coach. Seems like your confidence in the coach himself is significantly lower.

Of course, but, like I said, what Brown can do to this team or for this team is very dependant on who's in the team. He won't be F'ng this up.
Plus, think about how much the FO's invested, hoping this team wins it all. If Brown becomes a problem they are certainly gonna let him know about it.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:I don't get the hate Mike Brown gets. He's not perfect, but he's not a bad coach by any means.

Mike Brown deserves the hates he gets. Playing Blake at the backup SG, while Ebanks/Glock, sit. Playing Drew/Kobe/Pau extended minutes and going with a 7-8 man rotation every single game, not even giving anyone else a chance. Lack of adjustments from game to game, in game, we had time to gameplan and adjust to Denver for 2 weeks and he still put Blake on Miller who got smoked every time. Let's not forget his ISO offense. The list goes on and on.....he deserves every ounce of hate he gets because he's a terrible coach who fails to micromanage games and can't even get a simple thing as rotations right. He's a bad head coach, a terrible one, and an average assistant coach. He knows defense and not a thing about offense.

People complained including myself that he wouldn't play Andrew Goudelock. Then we saw Goudelock in the Summer League and how awful he played. It's obvious Brown made the right decision.

This makes no sense. Mike Brown made the right decision by knowing Glock was going to be terrible in the summer league of the next season, so he benched and made the right decision in the past season when he was good for a handful of points every night and was the only offense our bench had last year. He played Blake at SG, who got eaten alive on defense and didn't contribute anything on offense. Glock at least did one of those things.

Brown was given a worse roster than the team that had just previously been swept yet the team did slightly better. Let's be realistic outside of Kobe, Pau, Drew, Sessions, and MWP that roster was trash yet we somehow finished 3rd in the conference.

Two second round playoff exits and embarassingly bad blowouts to kick us out of the playoffs isn't slighty better. The end result was the same. Finishing 3rd in the conference isn't really saying much when the top 2 teams won (50 and 47) games respectively, while we were at 41 and the 4th/5th teams were either tied or 1 game below us. The 6th/7th seeds trailed us only by 3 and 5 games respectively. We were a middle of the pack team last year in the West, that just happened to lock down the 3 seed at the end of the season. We were lucky to get out of the 1st round the past two seasons, we were regressing more than we were getting better compared to the last two seasons. Hence the "Mitch-Slap" this offseason.

He coached a horrible team to the Finals in 2007. People say well it was only because of LeBron. Well I say to those people does that apply to Phil Jackson as well? Bottomline as a coach you need great players to be successful.

Maybe you don't remember the joke of the Eastern Conference Playoffs it was that year. Wizards were a joke, Nets were a joke, Detroit was banged up. And that was shown in the Finals when they got spanked and embarrassed. Mike Brown didn't do anything special that season besides run Eric Snow into the ground. Trust me I watched the whole season.

Are you really comparing Mike Brown to Phil Jackson? :freak2:

Phil ran a little thing called the triangle, always made the adjustments needed to win and got the best out of his teams.

Mike Brown is a solid basketball coach. Very underrated and not nearly as bad as alot of people make him out to be. As for the question I'd say an 8. I believe in Mike Brown. I believe he is a championship caliber head coach.

How is he underrated? How is he a solid basketball coach?

What has he done to earn being called a solid basketball coach or being underrated?

He is as bad as a lot of people make him out to be. How often do a majority of people agree on this board? Never. But bring up Mike Brown and I guarantee the overwhelming opinion is he is an awful coach. Everyone had his downfalls pegged before he even coached one game and all his negatives were pointed and confirmed as the season went on. If he wins a championship this season, it's because Mitch put together a team that couldn't lose, not because of Brown taking a team and elevating their level of play by making championship level coaching decisions.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:I don't get the hate Mike Brown gets. He's not perfect, but he's not a bad coach by any means. People complained including myself that he wouldn't play Andrew Goudelock. Then we saw Goudelock in the Summer League and how awful he played. It's obvious Brown made the right decision.

Brown was given a worse roster than the team that had just previously been swept yet the team did slightly better. Let's be realistic outside of Kobe, Pau, Drew, Sessions, and MWP that roster was trash yet we somehow finished 3rd in the conference. He coached a horrible team to the Finals in 2007. People say well it was only because of LeBron. Well I say to those people does that apply to Phil Jackson as well? Bottomline as a coach you need great players to be successful.

why do people hate on him so much? because of things like this:

Brown to Y! on LAL offense "We're still going to do a lot of stuff we did last year. We're just incorporating some of the Princeton stuff."
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Azndude2190 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Dang most of you guys are harsh. I would give him a 6. I think with a newly loaded roster+a full season, we should get to the finals.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion