Shaq Blasts Lakers

Shaq Blasts Lakers

Postby BDG on Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:19 pm

Weight behind his words
Angry O'Neal says Lakers' roster, not his conditioning, is team's problem

By Howard Beck
Staff Writer

EL SEGUNDO -- Shaquille O'Neal has a vision for saving the Lakers dynasty. But it's not about offseason training, weight-loss programs or anything related to the state of his hulking frame.

All of that might be part of O'Neal's summer agenda -- and certainly is among the team's greatest concerns -- but O'Neal is more interested in seeing some heavy lifting by general manager Mitch Kupchak and coach Phil Jackson.

"I think the only training I need is players that know their role and players that will give me the (bleeping) ball. That's all I need," O'Neal said Friday, before a photo shoot at the team's training site.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20955~1440477,00.html

Damn, Shaq's pretty pissed off bout the role players, Kupchack and Jackson, what do yall think?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:33 pm

OMG! This is just takin a turn in events, right? Shaq got the ball plenty of times in the Spurs series, he just couldn't connect, and the fact that he got hammered each time he did a spin move was also not accounted for. He got the ball, simple as that, he just wasn't able to over see the fact that the refs are [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.], u know?? But on another note, from Shaq's view, his problem was that the ball wasn't given to him enuff. But it was, actually... Hopefully management can continue to make him happy, cuz he's still dominant, and he needs to be more mobile, rather than just campin in the lane, ya heard?...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Reddy on Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:37 pm

I wouldn't say shaq is ALL right
I say he is right yes and no
He is totally right about us needing role players taht can shoot and play like a laker
But Shaq's health and weight are also very important to the team
so basically, its a combination of both
shaquille getting in shape, and the team workin hard to form that 2000 team that was UNSTOPPABLE.
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby BDG on Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:05 pm

i agree with you redd, it's a situation of yes and no. shaq is right and he isn't right in saying it. he has to take responsibility for delaying the surgery during the offseason. THAT is what made the change in the offense. he's gotta take responsibility for being out of shape. saying that fat makes you more dominant is just a cop-out. on the other hand, i agree with shaq. the role players have to hit open shots and they need to show support for our two stars. mitch needs to bring in new talent, otherwise our bench is gonna get old and paper-thin. however, i don't see any area where phil can be blamed. sure he may have made a couple coaching mistakes, but it's not his fault that our team was terrible this postseason. im really glad to see that the lakers arent crying about injuries or making excuses though. a lot of other teams would have done that, especially after winning 3 titles straight.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby shaqass on Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:15 am

one more time it is dissapointing to hear something like that from Shaq. First it's like he doesn't want to take any reponsability in the defeat, and sorry but he was one of the reason and probably the fatest one :man10:
Moreover, we all know the team is rather "weak", that the bench is more than thin. But saying such things is stupid and add more pressure on the other Lakers and management. And I don't see any good in what he said.
It's a pity because after he said he would hire Tracy's trainer for the summer I really thought he did a step forward.

Begining of the season is about 5 months away...I cannot wait to see which Shaq will come back...
shaqass
Clublakers Rep: Neuchatel

Postby Kobe's Empire on Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:23 am

listen, the team revolves around kobe and shaq. shaq is doing his part now, and kobe will. they r EASILY, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, the best 2 players in the game, if not the 2 best ever.(go to hell if u disagree with me). The management has to get role players, simple as that.....or some players that can freakin score. i think GP and juuan howard are a perfect fit. but even if we get arenas or terry would be insane. ALL WE NEED IS TIME LAKER FANS. screw the rest of the pathetic NBA, they are all laker haters that can stand to see uss succeed.

as far as the garnett for shaq trade, GIVE ME A BREAK, u dont trade shaq EVER, who do u take more? Garnett as his best, or shaq? easily shaq. and if shaq does perform this year, that trade talk will be gone down the drain.

KOBE/SHAQ co-mvp's 2004!!
Kobe's Empire

Postby MIKEDOG on Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:26 am

LISTEN LOAD AND CLEAR all of you Shaq apologists, you better get used to this!! This is the guy that all of you on this board would rather cut off your arm than even consider a trade for Garnett! Shaq is a fukn baby, he may be right in the fact that they do need a couple of more athletic players, but to say his weight was a non-factor is just [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]!!

And for everyone that says pay him the max and extend his contract, get used to this because it will not end soon. We will continue to get worse as the years go by. With Kobe's extension coming up soon, there will be no money to keep him. There will only be enough money to sign a bunch of players like...well like the Lakers. And if you think he(Shaq) will take the blame then for demanding the $$$ your wrong!! He will blame everyone else, because that is his nature.

I am truly sick and tired of fat [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] Shaqs mouth. He needs to step it up this year or hes gotta go! :mad1:
MIKEDOG

Postby GuEsT on Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:11 pm

Shaq is an idiot!!!!No one should bash their own teammates and this is the second time he has done it...He talks all this [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] about how he needs role players and blah blah blah that can hit hit the outside shot and that know how to feed the post blah blah blah every player in this league wants that ex:garnett,mcgrady,vince carter,karl malone and so on.If laker management could go out and spend 100 million dollars on nothing but good role players and great bench players dont you thing they would do it,but they cant!!!Shaq bashes management about not enough quality players then ask about his contract extension.pay me 200 million dollars for the next 5 years and then go fill out the team,GET [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] REAL!!!!Try getting in shape,try defending once in awhile,try hitting free throws,TRY BEING A LEADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IM DOne

Postby lalgirl3 on Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:45 pm

I agree with Shaq on that fact that we need more role players but he do need to work on his weight and get into shape. But personally I wish that this drama wouldn't start up again like it did last season and the season before that and so on. Drama comes with the game I completly understand that but just for a few months no dissing each other or complaining! :spineyes:
lalgirl3

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:53 pm

Shaq should stop complaining and just prove everyone wrong. It seems now, that all he does is talk and talk. All the talking he did in the Spurs series, and Tim Duncan quietly dominated that series. His teamates are trying to get him the ball. Its kinda hard for him to get his touiches when he's tripled team all the time. He has to understand that the new rules are taking a lot of his strenghts away. He better adjust to the new rules and develop a shot.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby lalgirl3 on Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:05 pm

Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 wrote:Shaq should stop complaining and just prove everyone wrong. It seems now, that all he does is talk and talk. All the talking he did in the Spurs series, and Tim Duncan quietly dominated that series. His teamates are trying to get him the ball. Its kinda hard for him to get his touiches when he's tripled team all the time. He has to understand that the new rules are taking a lot of his strenghts away. He better adjust to the new rules and develop a shot.

I agree 100% even though I love the big fella
lalgirl3

Shaq Blasts Lakers

Postby LakerLady on Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:53 pm

Haven't we been here before with Shaq each season? He doesn't handle criticism and frustration well. He's still a kid when it comes to getting his feelings hurt and taking responsibility. Then speaks without thinking. Shouldn't be that way, it's not right, I don't like it about him, I wish we didn't have to go through this each year, but that's the way he is. I still think he's worth it. Other teams don't have an answer for a healthy Shaq.
LakerLady

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:55 am

yea.. but when are we going to see a healthy SHAQ? its all speculation now until we see him early OCTOBER. I am also tired of all what SHAQ wants and needs!! You don't hear that kind of stuff from KOBE. I think SHAQ has it wrong when he says he's big brother and KOBE is little brother. It might look like it appearance but in actuality KOBE acts more like the older more mature big brother. SHAQ should just be quiet just like what everyone suggest. There was a question about who would I take a GARNETT at his best or SHAQ at his best. I would sure take SHAQ at his best but his best is probably going to be for only 3 years if he ever gets back in SHAPE. GARNETT is always in top condition and he plays a team oriented game. He doesn't need to touch the ball for him to be an impact in a game. He is amongst the league leaders in the stats in most catergories. Remember from SHAQS own mouth...." if you don't feed the big fella he will not defend his house"... WTF!!! now he says this bullsheet about wanting better teammates and getting the maximum contract. OK, like that would happen.
So, I ask you this. Are we going to extend SHAQ's contract this year to his requested (200 million) contract or... Are we going to extend KOBE's contract (120million)? I don't know if we can do both... can we?... if we reward them their extensions... who is going to play alongside them?.... the LA SPARKS. If we only had room in the cap to extend just one of those contracts to the amount which would make them happy who's contract would you extend?
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Lakers4PEAT on Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:00 am

when will this guy grow up, one minute he's apologizing phil and his teamates for not playing like he should..then he rants about not getting the ball enough and scathing his teamates, why doesn't he just take the blame or accept what happened and stop trying to make excuses for his off-season..and he always says "I never make excuses" i hope his wife slaps him around
Wurdizzlez!
Lakers4PEAT

Shaq Blasts Lakers

Postby LakerLady on Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:16 pm

Guess I've heard this kind of thing so much from Shaq that I just ignore it now. He usually ends up quietly backing down. Don't get me wrong. I keep waiting for him to grow up. He's a big baby, and Kobe's by far the more mature and professional of the two. Believe me, I've been ready to throw Shaq overboard many, many times.

If Buss won't spring for the kind of players we need to surround Shaq and Kobe, we're in a bind. If I had to choose, I'd go with Kobe and build a team around him. He's in it for the long-term. I think Shaq's just going to decide he's had enough and up and quit one day. Off topic, but why is it that other teams seem to be able to find outstanding, cheap Euro players to surround their super stars, and we only get Euro duds?
LakerLady

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:50 am

I don't think we have enough scouts scouting the european leagues. That and or our scouts have a horrible time evaluting european talents. Whatever it is, something needs to be done because its obviously not working.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:57 am

There's a lot of talented European players, and players from around the world.. It's like all the teams have em, expect us... We have Slava... I mean there's nuttin really wrong with him, its just that he doesnt get the time to produce what he's capable of doin... Our represenatives really need to look at forigners more...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby The Old Schooler on Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:12 am

To touch on the topic of European players. Slava is pretty good! The problem I think the Lakers are having with him is he will not commit himself to defense. Yeah! He'll shot the lights out of the gym if you let him, but he plays "D" like a Professional Bullfighter! Also, you have to think of the point that L.A. is running a Offense that many American players have trouble with picking up, then throw in the commucation. Many of this players need a person to relay what the Coach is saying. They also have to go to school to learn the basic English terms.

I think clubs like Dallas and Detroit have coaches that have spent time in varies countries that these players are from. For exampl, Donny Nelson is the coach of the LITHU national team. So, that would gave Dallas an inside track on who is hot on the Euro front. To tell the truth, I think the Lakers are just really down on picking up a European player due to the way the club is ran.
CONNECTED IN THE GAME SINCE 1980
The Old Schooler

Postby BayAreaLakerFan on Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:33 pm

As much as I love Shaq and what he brings to the table...he has to be the biggest, most sensitive, cry-baby in the league. For what he gets paid and for how much people bend over backwards to make him happy he always points the finger at someone else. He takes a little blame then dishes the rest out on his teammates. No one can say anything to the Big Wah-Wah or else he starts cussing and moaning.

As much as he wants to use military jargon and structure such as "Phil is the General, I'm the Seargeant", he should take a little military initiative and whip himself and his team into shape and not just complain when everything goes to hell. What we would've called his lard-a$$ in the Military is a "disgusting, fat-body."

"Now wipe that disgusting smile off your face Pyle and choke yourself, WITH MY HAND, you numbnuts!"

Peace,
Mark
BayAreaLakerFan

Shaq's big mouth

Postby LARolePlayer on Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:06 pm

I am SO tired of Shaq's demands for the ball. If he wants the ball, he needs to work for it. I wish somebody would tell him that scoring is not the only way to dominate the game. To be the true MDE, he needs to rebound, block shots, intimidate players with his defense and how about ASSISTS. Maybe our role players would hit a shot if they would take more than 4 or 5 attempts per game. :mad1: He had games with 8 for 18 shooting. If Rick Fox or DFish took that many shots they would surely make 6,7 or 8. But of course the big dog needs the ball otherwise he won't play F#$%ing defense. (Not that he ever does) :bang:
LARolePlayer

Return to Lakers Discussion