Shaq calling for Payton and Malone

Postby ZenMaster on Tue May 13, 2003 5:57 am

Last but not least...(sorry for all the posts, but if we type too much in one post it repeats itself). Last I read, Fox's surgery went very well, so he just may make it back in time for the start of next season...that would mean our SF spot would be set, him and Devean. I personally feel we should pass on Pippen, but I have a nagging feeling Mitch K. is strongly considering him....we have a $4.5 million exception to use this summer, and a $1 million exception for a 'veteran' (someone who has played 10+ seasons). But I also read we can split the $4.5 million between two players, the NBA allows that. Thoughts anyone?....
ZenMaster

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue May 13, 2003 10:21 am

Hey, he can average 20 for two years, or average 10 (for the lakers he would average more than that) a year for 4 years (while winning rings) [he said he would play till he was 45 and he is 40] and I think he would rather do BOTH than do one...he will be here.

We need to use the vet money on Horry and Malone...Pippen already said he aint comin' here and will return to Portland...
Snakell Beast

Postby Guest on Sun May 18, 2003 10:24 pm

I still hold some bitter feelings towards Malone. I remember he was quoted in objecting our Lakers Vice President MAGIC's first decision to play basketball after announcing he was HIV positive. I am not all that crazy about the chance in getting Malone, although I would not object. I would rather that he comes to L.A. then to SAC,SPURS,or Dallas. Instead, we should try to get a PJ Brown, a more defensive minded player to at least slow down the Duncans and Garnetts. Then, pray to get lucky in the draft and find a GEM that would hopefully become a part of our Dynasty. :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

KOBE the real MVP :bow:

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sun May 18, 2003 10:45 pm

Anonymous wrote:I still hold some bitter feelings towards Malone. I remember he was quoted in objecting our Lakers Vice President MAGIC's first decision to play basketball after announcing he was HIV positive.

Yeap I remember that back durin the dream team era... Dayam I always thought he was classless, but it's his game I repect... Just like people are here dissin Shaq cuz he didn't show up to the last interviewin, it's not about their personalities they get signed for, it's what they do on the court.....
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon May 19, 2003 12:59 pm

Yeah, if I had to choose, I would change Shaq's personality a bit myself. He does things on the court (and will always be able to) that make up for his less attractive personality quirks off of it. We are a basketball team, not a gentleman's club...
Snakell Beast

Postby Danny Ainge on Mon May 19, 2003 5:01 pm

Hey opposites attract, Kobe and Shaq are far from best friends but on the court they play like brothers. Malone will be an imediate fix for this LA franchise.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

players in, and players out

Postby oochamps on Mon May 19, 2003 5:50 pm

This is the way I see it, and yes I am a TRUE/LONGE TIME laker fan, so I'm not only looking to improve today, but tomorrow aswell.

Here are a couple of facts that we all as lakers fans must at some point and time come to admit and imbrace.

1.) Shaq's additude is detrimemtal to the team, and it's only getting worse for some reason.

2.) Shaq perspective as a perfessional athlete is ludicrise in my opinion. He too often has some kind of a chip on his shoulder, something about him not getting treated properly, or getting enough respect. He appears to be getting more and more dissatisfied each and every year of his career.

3.) Shaq's physical ability is twendaling steadily. I have no idea of weither or not he is especially injured or what, but he often looks pathetic at times over the last couple of years when compared to his first couple years in the league. He got busted up thouroughly by Kevin Willis of the spurs, and he's only about ten years older than Shaq is.

4.) Shaq's field goal percentage is falling now, he is a liability in pressure situations due to the inability often to convert his free throws. Let's be rational here! There are many big men in the league who shoot their throws better than Shaq does. He gets upset seemingly that Kobe gets the ball when the game is tight, but what would he expect. Kobe is likely going to get either a bucket or a pair of free throws, which is most often makes. Shaq makes one out of every two basically. It makes me sick thinking of all the times shaq's one free throw was nulified and out matched by an easy Tim duncan conversion of two at the line.

My point with shaq isn't even complete, but I hope you get the picture. With shaq's current salary as it is, we are stuck. Period. He makes about half of the entire club salary. If Jerry Bus sign's shaq to the insane amout of money that shaq is qualified for in his upcoming contract extension, we will be really stuck. Shaq would then be making about two-thirds of the teams entire salary. That means basically that about 6 or 7 out of every 10 people that are in the stands at a staples center home game, will be paying just to watch shaquille o'neal play.

Kobe is now at about the peak of his career likely, and in my opinion, he is hands down the best player in the league, let alone on his own team. What seperates guys like kobe and shaq, is that kobe can get his shot whenever he wants, as he often handles the ball and directs the offense to some extent. Shaq on the other hand needs someone else to get him the There are many big men in the league who shoot their throws better than Shaq does. He gets upset seemingly that Kobe gets the ball when the game is tight, but what would he expect. Kobe is likely going to get either a bucket or a pair of free throws, which is most often makes. Shaq makes one out of every two basically. It makes me sick thinking of all the times shaq's one free throw was nulified and out matched by an easy Tim duncan conversion of two at the line.

My point with shaq isn't even complete, but I hope you get the picture. With shaq's current salary as it is, we are stuck. Period. He makes about half of the entire club salary. If Jerry Bus sign's shaq to the insane amout of money that shaq is qualified for in his upcoming contract extension, we will be really stuck. Shaq would then be making about two-thirds of the teams entire salary. That means basically that about 6 or 7 out of every 10 people that are in the stands at a staples center home game, will be paying just to watch shaquille o'neal play.

Kobe is now at about the peak of his career likely, and in my opinion, he is hands down the best player in the league, let alone on his own team. What seperates guys like kobe and shaq, is that kobe can get his shot whenever he wants, as he often handles the ball and directs the offense to some extent. Shaq on the other hand needs someone else to get him the rock or else he just can't produce offensively. Also, kobe's defense is pretty damb good, and shaq has clearly been under acheiving on the defensive end of the court for the majority of his career.

The bottom line for me is, I don't see shaq doing anything but declining now, physically, emotionally, mentally, and even spiritually with his conversion into islam now over his former beliefs as a christian. I can literally see the love for life just disappearing from the big man's face. I do not believe that continuing with shaquille as the focus of the team is going to produce the results that we as lakers fans have always come to expect.

Kobe is on the upswing, his career is just blossoming, and their is a reason that he believes in his own abilities and doesn't bow down to shaquille o'neal. Kobe knows how hard he works, he knows what he is capable of, and he is straight up ten times more mentally and emotionally tough/strong than shaquille is. With that said, I do love the ability of the big fella, and he can be very inspiring when he is on his game. I just don't see him leading us as he has previously. It's time for shaq to bow down to kobe and look to help him any way he can, just like david robinson recognized that it was time for him to do the same when Tim Duncan first came into the leage. And if I am not mistaken, Tim Duncan is leading his team to their srock or else he just can't produce offensively. Also, kobe's defense is pretty damb good, and shaq has clearly been under acheiving on the defensive end of the court for the majority of his career.

The bottom line for me is, I don't see shaq doing anything but declining now, physically, emotionally, mentally, and even spiritually with his conversion into islam now over his former beliefs as a christian. I can literally see the love for life just disappearing from the big man's face. I do not believe that continuing with shaquille as the focus of the team is going to produce the results that we as lakers fans have always come to expect.

Kobe is on the upswing, his career is just blossoming, and their is a reason that he believes in his own abilities and doesn't bow down to shaquille o'neal. Kobe knows how hard he works, he knows what he is capable of, and he is straight up ten times more mentally and emotionally tough/strong than shaquille is. With that said, I do love the ability of the big fella, and he can be very inspiring when he is on his game. I just don't see him leading us as he has previously. It's time for shaq to bow down to kobe and look to help him any way he can, just like david robinson recognized that it was time for him to do the same when Tim Duncan first came into the leage. And if I am not mistaken, Tim Duncan is leading his team to their second championship possible. Now imagine if David Robinson had been as selfish as Shaquille is being with Kobe.

We need Guilbert Arenas, Scottie pippen and either P.J. Brown, Karl Malone or Keon Clark.

Peace.
oochamps

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon May 19, 2003 8:07 pm

"We need Guilbert Arenas, Scottie pippen and either P.J. Brown, Karl Malone or Keon Clark."

All totally unrealistic FAs for us.

Gilbert Arenas: Will stay put in GS because they can give him more money since he is still technically their player. Also they can match our MLE, so they retain his rights...he might go to denver, but no where else...

Scottie Pippen: Dead in the water physically and has already stated that he wants to return to Portland, no possibility here...

PJ Brown: Please, he will stay put or join one of the West powers like Sacto, Dallas or San Antonio. He will want too much of a role for us and we won't be able to lure him in...

Karl Malone: He is staying put in Utah, and if he decides not to, he will go to Dallas or San Antonio where he can get more money and more shots...

Keon Clark: The Kings will re-up clark for the MLE if they have to to keep him away from us like they did last year. Besides, why would Keon go from the future to what he must be viewing as the past in LA?

Come up with some realistic options would ya? (no disrespect, but we can't get big names like that...welcome to the board and come often)
Snakell Beast

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue May 20, 2003 12:41 am

Karl Malone will definitely get more money from DALLAS but more SHOTS? I don't think so. Malone would be like the 5th option behind DIRK, NASH, VAN EXEL, FINLEY. Okay he may be an option hire but do you think they'd pass him the ball? LOL maybe he'll get his points in put backs from rebounds or Garbage time. With the LAKERS he would get much money but he could at least be a 3rd option if you gets used to the TRIANGLE cause we hardly do any pick n rolls in L.A.

KOBE our REAL MVP
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Danny Ainge on Tue May 20, 2003 6:28 pm

You now what I find funny? Right now the Bulls and the T-Wolves are currently in the middle of negotiating a trade that would send KG to Chicago in exchange for Tyson Chandler, Jay Williams, Jalen Rose, Eddie Robinson, and their number one draft pick. My God if Chicago would accept Shaq instead of KG I would think the Lakers ought to make a move right now. The Bulls are pretty much giving up all their talent and with the possibility of getting Lebron in the draft a team would have to be very stupid to pass this deal up.
Danny Ainge

Postby whats golden on Tue May 20, 2003 7:09 pm

hear, hear Danny. But are the Bulls interested in Shaq?

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat May 24, 2003 3:59 pm

Let me tell ya whats golden, 28 teams aside from LA are interested in Shaq. 29 if ya count the new expansion team.
Danny Ainge

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion