shaq hints at a non extention for a contract

shaq hints at a non extention for a contract

Postby OG on Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:08 pm

I just got done watching Fox Sports Central and they had footage of the media around shaq and some reportor asked him if the rumors were true of him retireing early(ill try to do my best to summerize his words to the best of my memory) and he responded by saying, " Im thinkin around 35, you know i have other things in the future, i might even have my own little LAPD back home in Orlando, i kinda wanna return home for a year and play with the team i started with, then think about retirerment, but i realy cant speak about what ill do in the future because it all depends on the situation and the contract."

that all makes since. if he wants to retire at 35 than he would finish out his 3 years left on his current contract, then at 34, he would go back to orlando for a year and just retire...perfectly at 35. just like he said. what a coincident the remaining years on his contract and one year with his former team would add up to his retirement age.

Now seriously, he is saying that to get the absolute most valuable contract extention possible by the lakers as he hinted at the "situation" and "contract". he wanted to emphythize those words as the ultimant dependant of his future plans. when statements like that are made, its for nothing more than a leverage barganing tool.
Quoting Shaq on one of his spontainious freestyles durring practices:

"I stay paid niggaaa, I live laid niggaaa, I've been rappen ever since the third grade niggaaa".
OG

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:56 pm

I think if he has another ring his mind will change. He'll want to finish on top, then again, he'll want that chance for the next.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:04 pm

Shaq has a tendency today and in the past to stretch the truth a bit. He's been known to lie to the media, because in his own words, "He likes to play around with them".

Shaq even lied about the David Robinson fiasco, where he said that Robinson didn't sign anautograph for him when he was in high school. He made it up for some reason, which no one will know.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:31 pm

Very interesting...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:20 am

That sounds like the best plan, unless he gets into later year habits of physical fitness that save him from deterioration...if he continues on his present course, he will be just about ready to retire in 3 seasons, so we might as well start building like that now so that if and when it happens, we will be prepared...
Snakell Beast

Postby shaqass on Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:41 am

OG I agree with you 100% This is nothing more than a game. He knows that after this last season he is not in a position as good as before to sign a new fat long contract extension because some people are wondering if he is already in the bad slope. It slike Jason Kidd saying that he would be interested to sign with the Lakers for the 4.5...who buy that????
shaqass
Clublakers Rep: Neuchatel

Postby OG on Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:03 am

Shaq represents LA. He is LA. Its the city of bomb [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] envy. Its like none other. everybody looks up to Shaq and wants to roll with him in LA where he puts his mack down with a slam like a slugg through your chest. LA, no doubt about it. Shaq gets mad respect from everyone in the NBA. they all know him as, in marbury's words, the baddest playa on dis earf (black for earth). Even Paul Perice said, "who the hell in their right mind would argue with shaq?". We are the most high profile team the NBA has ever seen with our record marketability power. Not even Jordan in his prime could have been #1 option over Shaq in shape. no doubt about it. Shaq is great, Shaq is superman, and shaq is now an angery shaq....which is kinda scary for timmy huh?
Quoting Shaq on one of his spontainious freestyles durring practices:

"I stay paid niggaaa, I live laid niggaaa, I've been rappen ever since the third grade niggaaa".
OG

Postby Spurfanatic50 on Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:58 pm

OG wrote:Shaq represents LA. He is LA. Its the city of bomb [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] envy. Its like none other. everybody looks up to Shaq and wants to roll with him in LA where he puts his mack down with a slam like a slugg through your chest. LA, no doubt about it. Shaq gets mad respect from everyone in the NBA. they all know him as, in marbury's words, the baddest playa on dis earf (black for earth). Even Paul Perice said, "who the hell in their right mind would argue with shaq?". We are the most high profile team the NBA has ever seen with our record marketability power. Not even Jordan in his prime could have been #1 option over Shaq in shape. no doubt about it. Shaq is great, Shaq is superman, and shaq is now an angery shaq....which is kinda scary for timmy huh?

I don't think Tim gets scared. He just gets better. By the way, would you want Shaq past the age of 35 with a big contract, diminishing skills, etc. I would think that by that time, it would be time to rebuild. No offense, I mean I don't know why the Spurs signed Dave to that 2 year deal two years ago. I think they needed that money for someone else. He's done a great deal for this city, but come on $10million a year for two years. A little much.
THE FOURTH TIME AROUND --- IS EVEN BETTER THAN THE FIRST TIME.
Spurfanatic50
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:22 pm

Well, at least Dave was in peak physical condition, Shaq might resemble a teletubby by the time he hits 35. I agree that Tim gets better every year but only slightly better. Kobe is (IMHO) always the MVP, MIP and Defensive Player of the Year. It might be biased and people can and will vehemently disagree with me, but it is just how I feel every season and unless I see a huge dip in his game, I am not very inclined to change my mind...

Tim won't really get scared, but he will get dominated. No one in the history of the NBA would be able to contend with an angry, aggressive and muscular Shaq...no one...that isn't Tim Duncan's fault...it is the natural order, the way of things...its like the rising and setting of the sun...but even the sun can burn out...
Snakell Beast

Postby Spurfanatic50 on Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:13 pm

Well that was my point. Would the Lakers want to sign Shaq to a longer term contract beyond the age of 35?

Tim never gets dominated.

My opinion
THE FOURTH TIME AROUND --- IS EVEN BETTER THAN THE FIRST TIME.
Spurfanatic50
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

Postby shaqass on Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:51 pm

I think it would be an big risk for the Lakers to sign Oneal for a contract longer than 3 years. Imagine a contract where Oneal would be paid 20 millions at the age of 37? First we don't really know if Shaq's love for the play will stay that long. Then we don't really know if Shaq's legs will be able to sustain his Teletubby's (I like this one snakell :man10: ) body that long...

For the Shaq Vs Tim I would say that Tim has no chance to defend a "good shape" Shaq. No one can. But on the other hand, can a good shape Shaq prevent Tim to score 22pt and take 15R? I don't think either. Both are different players with different style of play. But right now Tim is the most dominant player in the game, no question. Hope Shaq will come back in shape this season and take this title back...
shaqass
Clublakers Rep: Neuchatel

Return to Lakers Discussion