Shaq hires different trainer...ex-Marine/fitness trainer

Shaq hires different trainer...ex-Marine/fitness trainer

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:02 am

Shaquille O'Neal has his championships and his MVP awards, but he has been humbled by failure, by age and by injury and, with his career at a crossroads, he is dedicating himself to reversing those trends.
The process began Thursday afternoon, when O'Neal hired a personal trainer, following through on a promise he made to Lakers management last week.

Corey Gilday, a Portland, Ore.-based certified fitness trainer and nutritionist, will move to Orlando, Fla., this weekend and Monday will begin shaping a summer-long training program designed to make the NBA's premier center stronger, healthier and leaner.

...Rogers and Mike Parris, O'Neal's business manager, set out weeks ago to identify the best possible trainer to work with their client. Gilday, regarded as one of the top trainers in the nationwide 24-Hour Fitness chain, was chosen from a field of five finalists.

O'Neal met with Gilday, a former Marine, for the first time Thursday in Las Vegas, and the two exchanged ideas.

"He was really excited," Parris said.

The specifics of O'Neal's summer workout are being developed, but Parris said the general objectives are clear: "Weight loss, conditioning, he's going to work on his cardio, his leg strength."

Source - http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413 ... 73,00.html
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby shaqass on Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:08 am

we will see, we will see...I am still doubtful, but I hope I am wrong...
shaqass
Clublakers Rep: Neuchatel

Postby GoldenEye on Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:10 am

This explains why he was in Las Vegas ... :bow:
Dynasty is not over, Lakers dynasty has begun!
GoldenEye

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:37 am

Better late than never... All I ask is that he doe somethin real soon!
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Danny Ainge on Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:54 pm

Let us hope he turns those abs into a six pack rather than the previous shape of a keg.
Danny Ainge

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:34 am

Yeah, please no more Barrell [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] shaq...no more lazy, liver lipped milky lickers....he needs to be a rubbernecked bottlenose...
Snakell Beast

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:34 pm

Yo Beast what have I told you about sniffing white-out :disagree:
Danny Ainge

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:45 am

Oh thats why Shaq was in Vegas!!!

He was there to meet the personal trainer.
I apologize Shaq, I thought you were just goofing off.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:36 pm

A healthy well conditioned, healthy Shaq will make our quest for a title next year, something to look forward to. Kobe will be ready, that is a given. So if we have a motivated in shape Shaq along with some quality helpful role players next year, we should have no problem becoming world champs again next year. :man1:
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:06 pm

All is dependent on Shaq. If he's hungry(excuse me with the pun) at both ends of the court, then we are ok. I know that he can get his points. I just want him to be more of a 22 pts, 17 reb., 4.5 blks. a game kinda of guy. I know that he has not demonstrated this in the past, but I believe he can do it. Let Kobe score 34+.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:15 pm

Yes I agree, it is time for the coaching staff and Shaq to be willing to let Kobe do more. It doesn't necessarilly have to be scoring either. Kobe can take any defender anytime he wants. I would like to see him score more, but I would also like to see he drive and kick to the open man a lot more. That is there anytime Kobe pleases. This way, we really don't need a 3rd scorer, we would have a more balanced attack, with the role players getting an hitting open shots due to Kobe penetration and Shaq double an triple teams. I can live with how the 2 of them scored this year, pretty much being neck and neck, but we have to start taking advantage of Kobe's ability to get to the basket, it will create more scoring for the team, not to mention increase Kobe's assists ratio that he is always criticized on.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:32 pm

I just want Kobe to drive more and get to the line 12+ times. At times I feel like Kobe is getting to jumpshot happy during the game.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:35 pm

You are feeling my pain. I became increasingly frustrated with Kobe and his jumper this year. He has a good one, but getting to the hole is very important for creating extra free throws for teamates and getting key players for the opposition off the floor. I think he tends to forget that at times.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:37 pm

I guess with his much added strength this past season, he felt like shooting those long jumpers and 3 pointers more often. I prefer him to drive and hit those medium range ones, like MJ used to do. Get to the line and get other people into foul trouble.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:54 pm

Exactly! If he took advantage of going to the hole, and taking medium range jumpers, he would get more assists, create a more balanced attack for the team as a whole, and our good free throw shooters would get to the line more often to pick up easier points. This would also allow Shaq to take some nights off like he likes to do occasionally.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:07 pm

When KObe came in this season with a bigger body, I thought that he would use that stronger body more often to get to the paint and battle inside. But it seems like he shot from outside even more. Hopefully, he can drive more this coming year.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:13 pm

I would really like to see him mix it up. Some 3's, some going to the hole, and some medium range game. That would truly keep the defense honest and off balance, especially with having to deal with Shaq and Kobe coming at you a different way every time down the floor. He became one dimensional at times this year. Meaning just jump shot happy! That could have come from also being tired from the 3 year run, he just got lazy. I know that word and Kobe don't mix, but it happens when you get tired.
Lakerfantilidie

Return to Lakers Discussion