Shaq says Brook Lopez is better than Dwight

Re: Shaq says Brook Lopez is better than Dwight

Postby WilliamHaven on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:27 pm

If Shaq isn't careful, he is going to be known more as a bitter former player than as a former dominant champion.
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:31 pm

this isnt a bigman back to the basket center game anymore. its mobile centers. thats why half the teams are playing their PF at center. Dwight is perfect for this league bc hes still a dominating force in the center but is mobile like a forward.

doesnt matter if brook or bynum are "more of a real center" bc that wouldnt really help us anyways now.
Ariza3

Postby The Rock on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:35 am

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby kray28 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:29 am

Dwight to Shaq: STFU and STFD.
kray28

Postby 432J on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:37 am

The Rock wrote:Seriously Shaq why cant you go rip the Celtics lol they're one of your former teams. He never says anything bad about them

because they were the "best team he's ever played with"
:man10:
432J

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:37 am

I think Shaq is inadvertantly helping Dwight. My knock on Dwight is that he doesn't have that "mean streak" in him to win it all. Prior to getting to the lime light of LA Dwight seemed afraid of the big shadows and shoes he would be walking into especially Shaq's since his path would be very similar. Now that he is here I think Shaq's sensitive ego will actually fuel Dwight to want to prove he is in fact better than Shaq. A hungry big man of Dwights caliber will destroy the teams.

So Thanks Shaq for being such a damn baby that you will help motivate the nice gentle giant we have to become a full on beast. :bow:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:48 am

If Dwight could develop a Kobe-mean streak... *shudder* the rest of the league wouldn't know what to do. I mean, I loved his point about winning with a smile. Magic did it, he can too.

But Magic would also win with his passion and fire. Just because he was smiling doesn't mean he didn't want to crush you. That's something that Dwight is going to have to pick up.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alleyhoops on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:34 am

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Shaq does whatever he can to drive Howard out of Los Angeles after this season so his own Laker legacy isn't challenged. I'm sure he's caught wind that Dwight is somewhat sensitive about following in Shaq's footsteps and O'Neal is working it. I really hope Dwight tunes him out and that Shaq shuts his freakin' mouth. It's ticking me off.
Alleyhoops

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:58 am

Alleyhoops wrote:Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Shaq does whatever he can to drive Howard out of Los Angeles after this season so his own Laker legacy isn't challenged. I'm sure he's caught wind that Dwight is somewhat sensitive about following in Shaq's footsteps and O'Neal is working it. I really hope Dwight tunes him out and that Shaq shuts his freakin' mouth. It's ticking me off.

i hope he finishes with 4 titles...then talks as much smack in retirement as shaq is
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Alleyhoops wrote:Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Shaq does whatever he can to drive Howard out of Los Angeles after this season so his own Laker legacy isn't challenged. I'm sure he's caught wind that Dwight is somewhat sensitive about following in Shaq's footsteps and O'Neal is working it. I really hope Dwight tunes him out and that Shaq shuts his freakin' mouth. It's ticking me off.

If Dwight is really that damn soft than by all means leave Dwight. People run their mouths about Kobe all the time has hit ever bothered him or made him wanna bolt for another team? No and it shouldn't be any different with Dwight. He just needs to ignore all of this noise coming from Shaq, play basketball, and win championships. If he does that eventually he'll earn Shaq's respect.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:30 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I think Shaq is inadvertantly helping Dwight. My knock on Dwight is that he doesn't have that "mean streak" in him to win it all. Prior to getting to the lime light of LA Dwight seemed afraid of the big shadows and shoes he would be walking into especially Shaq's since his path would be very similar. Now that he is here I think Shaq's sensitive ego will actually fuel Dwight to want to prove he is in fact better than Shaq. A hungry big man of Dwights caliber will destroy the teams.

So Thanks Shaq for being such a damn baby that you will help motivate the nice gentle giant we have to become a full on beast. :bow:

I like this :jam2: and think yeah there's definitely something to that way of looking at it. The Lakers big man staff working with Dwight seems to be in awe of the quickness of his feat and his explosiveness, while still having strength like none other since Shaq. And the dude is like 6"9". DOMINATING. No way is he 6'10". Is he? :man10:

Shaq....you watch....I freaking guarantee it.... is going to start real soon backing away from these stupid comments and spinning how it's not what he meant.

:pd: :fatshaq:

Also slights like this for real Dwight hopefully can use as a Laker going forward to "stick it" to Shaq, as opposed to Shaq making up some "slight" about David Robinson blowing him off once when he was young and wanting an autograph or something like that.....and then going out there and brutalizing him with his size and elbows and bleep in the paint. Effing bully when he played. I even was uncomfortable a bit watching his style as a Laker. YEP that's the part he never acknowledges....he was born to be bigger and stronger than everyone else in basketball while still being an athletic monster. Just like LeBron.
LTLakerFan

Postby Phil XI on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:19 pm

Adding to the list of why I do not consider Shaq a Laker worthy, and why the jersey #34 needs to be assigned to Sacre rather than go up in the rafters.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Ras Algethi on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:16 am

Woj:

Three-and-a-half years ago, Dwight Howard slumped his shoulders inside Staples Center and responded sheepishly on the issue of Shaquille O'Neal trashing him over and over.
"I can't tell you why he's said a lot of discouraging things," Howard said to me. "I wish he wouldn't say it because he's one of the few guys that we all look up to."
As a 23-year-old reaching the NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers, Howard was still an earnest young star searching out the blessing that never came from Shaq.
For all the preaching Shaq had done about paying respect to your elders, Howard never understood why his relentless praise of Shaq was reciprocated with ridicule and scorn. Howard never understood why Shaq didn't see it as flattering that an engaging, dynamic young center had grown up idolizing, even emulating, him.
Now, Howard's a Laker, Shaq's retired to television and his criticisms promise to get only sharper and sharper. And so when word was passed onto Howard that O'Neal had compared him unfavorably to Brooklyn Nets center Brook Lopez, Howard did something long overdue: He stood up for himself and fired back at O'Neal.
"Shaq played the game and he is done," Howard told reporters on Thursday. "It's time to move on. He hated the fact when he played that older guys were talking about him and how he played. Now he's doing the exact same thing. Just let it go. There's no sense for him to be talking trash to me. He did his thing in the league. Sit back and relax.
"Your time is up."

Howard doesn't need to respond to Shaq to win over Kobe Bryant, because Bryant's already a believer in him. Bryant knows that Howard will come to work every day, that he'll keep himself physically fit. Those are things that Bryant could never count upon with O'Neal. Howard doesn't need to stand up to Shaq for Kobe's sake, but his own.
Howard has come to the Lakers to win championships, the way that Shaq did all those years ago. He's an iconic talent, and Shaq's kidding himself to try to minimize Howard's dominance. The greatest Lakers center before Shaq believed that, too – long before Howard made his way to Los Angeles.
Outside the interview room that day during the June '09 NBA Finals, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar shook his head, and told me of Shaq, "Sometimes I wonder about his maturity. He doesn't need to do that. He's achieved so much. I don't know why he stoops to that."
Shaq is a forever star in the NBA, and gets paid to deliver his opinions on television now. Howard has earned criticism, absorbed it, and yet his talent is too immense for Shaq to believe for a moment that Lakers fans will be longing for him over Howard this season.
[Related: Blake Griffin not happy with flopping rule]
Howard was wise to finally let go of the self-guilt that came with pursuing the parallel path of O'Neal's, a ringless run in Orlando to the Lakers. For so long, Howard paid his respects to Shaq – overpaid them – and all that came back was the bitter insecurities of a 40-something legend who should be so much more secure with his standing in history.
There's a ceremony to retire Shaq's No. 34 with the Lakers in April, and rest assured that O'Neal will return to Staples full of praise for Howard. Between now and then, Howard will be his old self again, and the Lakers will be the franchise that once again owns the middle of the basketball floor. From Mikan to Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar to Shaq, the great centers always find their way to the Lakers.
Yes, the Lakers' new center is correct: It's over Shaq. It's Howard's time now. It's inevitable, happens to every great star, and there's no use fighting it anymore. Dwight Howard finally fired back at Shaquille O'Neal on Thursday, and it was long overdue. Shaq will come back at him again, but he has to realize soon that Howard has the ultimate trump card in sport: The cheers, the winning, belong to Howard now. It's his time, his Lakers now.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:15 am

:jam2: :jam2:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby BadCoaching on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:40 am

Why is Shaq so threatened and jealous of D12? You'd think he'd be honored the kid idolized him and wanted to be him.. I didn't think we'd still see him being a like this half a decade later. He's an embarrassment.. grow up Shaq sheesh.
BadCoaching

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:21 am

Phil weighed in on this:

From Ben Bolch L.A. Times column Sat. 10/6:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... 3125.story

"Phil Jackson joined the war of words between Lakers center Dwight Howard and Shaquille O'Neal, though the former Lakers coach didn't deliver any of his trademark verbal jabs.

A day after O'Neal's contention that Philadelphia's Andrew Bynum and New Jersey's Brook Lopez were the NBA's best centers angered Howard, Jackson suggested that Howard featured a more well-rounded game.

"Brook and Andrew are guys that have good touches, they're good scoring players and they have good offensive games and there's a lot to what [O'Neal] says that way," Jackson told an ESPN radio station in Chicago.

"Dwight is a guy that has that amazing athletic ability, but the overall game — rebounding, defending, blocking shots, running the court — this is a guy that runs with the wolves, so to speak. He can get up and down that court as quick as any of the guards or forwards because of his athletic ability, whereas both Brook Lopez and Andrew Bynum are more plodders as players and they have trouble in their transition game both directions."
LTLakerFan

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:15 pm

i honestly wont mind if i hear boos during the ceremony
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:58 pm

Nice article by Worj (again). Howard will learn what it took Drew too many years to learn: In LA you want to be the king you need to have the meanstreak to dominate!
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:06 pm

BadCoaching wrote:Why is Shaq so threatened and jealous of D12? You'd think he'd be honored the kid idolized him and wanted to be him.. I didn't think we'd still see him being a like this half a decade later. He's an embarrassment.. grow up Shaq sheesh.

Because he loves the limelight and can't accept the fact that his time is over and there is a new sheriff in town in LA.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
BadCoaching wrote:Why is Shaq so threatened and jealous of D12? You'd think he'd be honored the kid idolized him and wanted to be him.. I didn't think we'd still see him being a like this half a decade later. He's an embarrassment.. grow up Shaq sheesh.

Because he loves the limelight and can't accept the fact that his time is over and there is a new sheriff in town in LA.

Kobe is still the sheriff in town and will be till he retires. Love Dwight, but this is still Kobe Bryant's team.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby John3:16 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:13 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Nice article by Worj (again).

The most often used phrase when Worj is mentioned on CL.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:44 am

Mark Medina ‏@MarkGMedina

Kobe Bryant on Shaq saying Brook Lopez/Andrew Bynum > than Dwight Howard: "He gets paid to make opinions so I can't tell him to shut up."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:00 am

Excellent retorts by both Howard and Kobe!!

Another fine article from WOJ. :bow:

I do agree with Phil's assessment - what Shaq said about why he had a preference for Lopez and Bynum's offensive game, that they are low post guys with shooting touches, makes some sense, but ultimately it's transparent why Shaq made the comments in the first place. There's no disguising his disdain for Howard, and like others have said, it's pure insecurity.

That's the one thing that has always bummed me out about Shaq, was his insecurity. He's always embroiled in these attacks on others. First it was Nick Anderson and then later Penny Hardaway on the Magic. Then as soon as he got here he started in on Elden Campbell (not that he didn't deserve it a little - :man10: ), then Nick the Quick, Eddie Jones (who he always wanted trade for a "shooter"), and of course later on his "little brother" Kobe Bryant.

It's always been an annoying trait with this guy. He's just a Jealous Guy in the words of John Lennon. But he doesn't apologize for it like Lennon.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:07 pm

kray28

Postby Kit on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Let's just boo him when he gets his jersey retired lol..
Kit

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion