Shaq says Brook Lopez is better than Dwight

Shaq says Brook Lopez is better than Dwight

Postby The Rock on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:51 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/brooklyn-nets/post/_/id/6024/shaq-lopez-better-than-d-12?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Shaquille O'Neal doesn't just think Andrew Bynum is better than Dwight Howard.

He'd also take Brook Lopez over D-12 ... assuming he can remember the Nets center's name.

Here's what O'Neal had to say when asked his opinion on who is the best big man in the NBA during a roundtable discussion with fellow TNT analysts posted on NBA.com last week:

"We as players, we always watch people before us. When I came in it was Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajuwon, guys who played like true centers who played inside. What we have now are centers that are going to the European style, which is a lot of pick-and-roll. Dwight Howard, who's a pick-and-roll player, some people say he's the best center in the league, but me being an old-school center, I'm going to go with Robin Lopez and Andrew Bynum because they play with their back to the basket."

O'Neal is later asked if he meant Brook Lopez, not his twin brother, Robin.

"Brook. Same thing. They're brothers."

For the record, Brook Lopez has averaged 17.4 points per game during his career. As for Robin? 5.8 points per game.

O'Neal then continues his argument in favor of Lopez:

"Listen to what I'm saying. I'm not talking about dunking, I'm talking about playing like a big man with the moves. My man, before he had the foot injury, was putting up nice, solid big man numbers. He don't have a lot of flash, a la Tim Duncan, but he can play. If you put him with a nice team around him, you can get a lot from this big man. Like if you want to go to go to flash and dunking and the pick and roll, you gotta go with Dwight Howard. But me, the last true original dundaughta (slang for big timer), I'm going with Andrew Bynum and which Lopez? Brook. Brook Lopez."

Shaq made headlines last season when he claimed Bynum was better than Howard during a TNT broadcast.

He has been highly complementary of Lopez before, saying the Nets center reminds him of Duncan.

"Classy guy," O'Neal said, referring to Lopez. "You'll never hear about him getting in trouble. Great moves, great composure, and you're really not going to faze him. A couple guys will probably try to rough him up, but that's not going to faze him. Good player. Good player."

Seriously, how petty is Shaq. He keeps looking worse and worse every time he makes dumb comments like these to diss Howard

I've always said they should've made him wait for his jersey retirement. Like 25 years or something. Give that guy an inch he'll take a mile

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Shaq says Brook Lopez ie better than Dwight

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Zydrunas Ilgauskas used to get more rebounds in one possession than Lopez gets in a week.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Re: Shaq says Brook Lopez is better than Dwight

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:58 pm

No doubt. Shaq is always right. Howard couldn't hold Lopez's jock. Lopez is twice the Center that D12 is. Especially on the defensive and rebounding side of things.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:01 pm

will be tough for anyone to take him seriously when he doesn't even name the right guy, and then defends it by saying "brook, same thing they're brothers"
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:03 pm

Wow, could Shaq be any more insecure? Howard is now looking to follow Shaq as our next great center and apparently he can't handle that. The Lakers are retiring his jersey this season and he still can't let this Dwight Howard stuff go and be a bigger man about it? Howard is a great player, but at his best he's not as good as Shaq was at his best, so I really don't understand why he seemingly feels so threatened.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Brook Lopez is being criminally underrated in this thread, dude is a FORCE!
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby gcclaker on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:08 pm

The parallels are all there... Orlando->Superman->Los Angeles. O'Neal would like nothing more than to see Howard fail miserably.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alcindor on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:08 pm

He's made such an impression Shaq doesn't know his name
Alcindor

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:09 pm

I can't wait to hear how bitter Shaq sounds when the Lakers are rollin' and Dwight puts up 25 and 20 on TNT.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:16 pm

can we reconsider retiring this dude's jersey? seriously
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Flashy like Tim Duncan? Nice numbers? :man10: :man10: :man10:

Shaq is hilarious.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersStan24 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:28 pm

this is just Shaq trolling on Dwight... AGAIN Dwight is the Real Superman tall Strong while the diesel is strong but fat.. lol so he can't complain about losing the nickname and Dwight puts up Better thany Big Man or Center in the NBA So that clearly shows Shaq is just being a bitter old man when He disses Dwight.
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:33 pm

He's probably biased enough that he'd actually pick Robin if Dwight was the only other option, so I wouldn't say that was really a mistake.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Alcindor on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:39 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I can't wait to hear how bitter Shaq sounds when the Lakers are rollin' and Dwight puts up 25 and 20 on TNT.

My money says Shaq will go "look at how much better a guy like Steve Nash can make you look"
Alcindor

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Dumbass doesn't even know the guys name. :man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby gcclaker on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Alcindor wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:I can't wait to hear how bitter Shaq sounds when the Lakers are rollin' and Dwight puts up 25 and 20 on TNT.

My money says Shaq will go "look at how much better a guy like Steve Nash can make you look"

...oh THAT Steve Nash? The one that O'Neal said did not deserve the MVP in 2006 but he did? THAT Steve Nash whose idea for a "vs." TV show he stole from? OK...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:43 pm

lakerswiz wrote:This isn't anything but 100% insecurity from Shaq. I don't think he truly believes anything he just said.

This. Dwight Howard is better than Brook Lopez by a pretty wide margin and I don't think there is a single person who would suggest otherwise, other than Dr. O'Neal.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby Tragic on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Shaq is jealous
Tragic

Postby The Original 81 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:46 pm

You would think that if this were even remotely true, Orlando would've jumped at the opportunity to land Lopez in a trade if it were on the table.

Oh wait...
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby last stand on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:04 pm

He's only helping us. Giving Kobe and Dwight a common enemy to bond against
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby OX1947 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:06 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:can we reconsider retiring this dude's jersey? seriously

OH WAIT, HEY, YOU SHOULD JUST FORGIVE and appreciate. How dare you talk about Shaq!!!!! He won us 3 titles, he won us 3 titles. Man, we are the few that see through the crap. Buss should have waited until he got in to the hall of fame. Shaq is a chump and he always will be.
OX1947

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:10 pm

I have to imagine Shaq was just talking crap for the sake of talking crap.. you know to sell papers or articles (whatever it is now days). I agree with people that said Shaq is insecure as hell though. Even if it was said all tongue in cheek he still comes off as the bitter ex-girlfriend who hopes the new girlfriend not only dies but dies with roadrash, a salt truck, covered in honey with african bees swarming before falling slowly in a vat of acid... Yes that's bitter.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:13 pm

OX1947 wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:can we reconsider retiring this dude's jersey? seriously

OH WAIT, HEY, YOU SHOULD JUST FORGIVE and appreciate. How dare you talk about Shaq!!!!! He won us 3 titles, he won us 3 titles. Man, we are the few that see through the crap. Buss should have waited until he got in to the hall of fame. Shaq is a chump and he always will be.

Man you don't give it up. Shaq the player for the Los Angeles Lakers deserves to have his Jersey retired. Period! Shaq the after the Lakers player and the analyst deserves to get donkey punched in the nutts. Two different people. The LA Player made the Buss family a lot of money and brought parades to LA. Buss wants to retire him before he retires for good. It really isn't that complex man. Some need to let it go already.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby cthroatgtr on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:41 pm

Shaq is STILL on looking at the offensive end long after he retired....really Shaq doesn't want Dwight to surpass him in any way. This is a guy that only dunked himself so WTF is he talking about?
cthroatgtr

Postby XXIV on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Watching TNT overtime might be difficult this year, all Shaq will do is bad mouth Dwight and say how he's the real superman, etc, etc.
XXIV

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion