Shaq or KG

Shaq or KG

Postby ELF on Mon May 19, 2003 3:26 pm

The topic of trading Shaq for KG came up, so I would like to ask the CL family what do they think. Is Shaq for KG a good trade.

I say yes... Several reasons.

1) KG is younger
2) KG and Kobe would run the [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] out of every team we face.
3) KG and Kobe are both 1st team defensive players
4) KG would give us 25pts 15rb a game.
5) The game has change with the new zone rules, thus limiting Shaq effectiveness.
6) KG would match up great against Duncan (who maybe the MDP right now, not Shaq)
7) KG and Kobe would be together for the next 10 years.

Check this lineup

PG) Gilbert Areanas
SG) Kobe
SF) DG
PF) KG
C) pick anyone

The league has changed, you no longer need a dominant center to win. We wouldn't encounter any problems until we meet Shaq in the playoffs. And Kobe and KG would kill him.

Please list your reason for KG or Shaq
ELF

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon May 19, 2003 3:30 pm

Shaq is dominant. But then again, so is KG. I like them both, for what they do for their respective teams. KG prolly wants out, cuz he's never got past the 1st round for like 6 years or so. But that also says that he doesn't know what it takes to win, but then again, he's not a one man team. Havin KG and Kobe on the same team would be incredible, but I don't see it workin out.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon May 19, 2003 4:04 pm

I DO! They are great friends, they have a mutual hunger to improve every year and Kobe could take the pressure off of KG by being the #1 option so KG could get more of the OTHER stats...The T-Wolves would not be able to trade KG. What we could do is trade Shaq to another team (an east team) for a bunch of quality players (like to the Pistons for Billups, Prince and Wallace) and then tell KG he can play in LA for 24 mil a year. Then we have the same big two contracts, but we have them bottom loaded instead of top heavy and teetering on collapse. We would be instantly back on the championship level and would no longer have Shaq to worry about. We could then pick up some scrappy vets for the low level salaries to go with our guys, extend the guys we got from detroit (or whomever) and secure the rings for years to come...
Snakell Beast

Postby BDG on Mon May 19, 2003 4:20 pm

i actually don't think that's a bad trade. i'm not saying we SHOULD trade shaq this instant, but those points make sense. Plus, KG is athletic and improving.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon May 19, 2003 4:52 pm

The Bulls are makin a run for KG :man3:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Seawell on Mon May 19, 2003 4:57 pm

I started wondering if we should trade Shaq before the trade deadline this past season. I thought for sure though that by the time the playoffs came around he would be in shape and be dominant again. The bottom line is that Shaq wasn't himself this year. I believe the number one reason is his weight and conditioning. I don't see Shaq giving us more than 2 more decent years. I hope he proves me wrong. I say pull the trade now while he still has great trade value. KG would be around a lot longer for us than Shaq.
Seawell

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon May 19, 2003 8:15 pm

"The Bulls are makin a run for KG"

So, are they going to offer the big market of LA, a teammate like Kobe, a team like the Lakers (that knows how to win without him) and a coach like Phil jackson...not to mention 24 mil a year...I don't think so...
Snakell Beast

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon May 19, 2003 8:19 pm

I'm just stating what I hear... They don't got anything like Kobe, as a teammate any dummy knows that :man1:. But if the Lakers arent gonna offer anything, and seem interested, then gettin KG isn't possible
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon May 19, 2003 8:26 pm

No bad, LG, no bad. I was just trying to fantasize about KG in place of Shaq...it makes my eyes water and my drule run to the ground...
Snakell Beast

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon May 19, 2003 8:28 pm

LMAO!!! Dayam I know, it's pretty good to dream about!!! :man6: :man6: :man1:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon May 19, 2003 8:37 pm

Yeah and management might pull an amazing unexpected Shaq trade to another team and then offer the Shaq money to KG when we are under the cap...
Snakell Beast

It would be a good deal

Postby Laker brain on Mon May 19, 2003 8:59 pm

Shaq is the most feared player in the game. I doubt the Lakers would trade him to make room for Garnett. It is a nice thought though.

KG would score about 2 baskets less than shaq 23ppg, but KG is a better shooter, quicker, a better rebounder, ball handler, and Passer.

I think it would be a smart move for our future.

We could trade Shaq to Jerry West for Gasol, Miller, and Person
and have enough room for Garnett.

Or trade him and Fish to the Suns for Marbury & Marion

and add KG at PF = DY-NASTY

Marbury
Bryant
Marion
Garnett
I don't care

This is a hard squad on the real.

Shaq said he would only play in a sunny place, it doesn't get sunnier than phoenix!!!

This is every Lakers dream, I doubt it happening.
Laker brain

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Mon May 19, 2003 10:40 pm

If the Lakers are going to trade Shaq for KG, they must think that Shaq's play will tail off in the next 6 years and KG's game will get better each year for the next 6. KG is 25 and just stepping into his prime. Remember that MJ won his first title at 27 and Shaq won his at 28. So, if KG joins Kobe, KG might get his very soon. Also, I think with KG, Kobe's real game will finally show up. KG does not demand the ball like Shaq demands it. KG is an all-around player, with a determination to play defense. I think he led the league in triple doubles this season. Therefore he can defer the scoring to Kobe, with KG the second option.

Reasons to make the trade:

1. KG is younger.
2. KG is stepping into his prime years, Shaq's prime is past.
3. KG is hungrier, we all doubt Shaq's desire and dedication at times.
4. My explanation above about Kobe's game and KG's game better suited for each other.
5. This trade is possible financially, with similar contracts.

Other than these reasons, don't make that trade.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby clublakers on Mon May 19, 2003 10:50 pm

I'm in.

Sending Shaq East would indeed be nice, but I'd do is straight up as well.

Let Garnett play PF and use our MLE on Brad Miller to run at C. Trade our two picks and Medvedenko up in the draft for Luke Ridnour and lets ball!

DFish/Ridnour/Pargo
Kobe/Rush
George/Fox
Garnett/BSkinner/Madsen
BMiller/Rucker

Damn, that bench ain't so deep, is it? Whatever, lets ball.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby Lakers4PEAT on Mon May 19, 2003 10:55 pm

I'd pull the trade in an instant
Wurdizzlez!
Lakers4PEAT

Postby Reddy on Mon May 19, 2003 11:02 pm

shaq.
shaquille oneal
the MDE. and 3 time finals MVP
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue May 20, 2003 12:00 am

Reddy wrote:shaq.
shaquille oneal
the MDE. and 3 time finals MVP

:bow:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue May 20, 2003 1:49 am

I'd pull that trade also. I watched a game between the WOLVES and MAGICS this season and GARNETT stayed on MACGRADY. LOL.. that was an awesome game. GARNETT limited MACGRADY to 18 points!!!! Garnett was even Checking KOBE in some quarters of the Playoffs this year.... WOW... he is TIGHT!!!! GARNETT is one hell of a versatile player. He would make the most perfect teammate for KOBE. Garnett is like the 7 foot version of PIPPEN (just using pippen an example) was to Jordan. Imagine putting Kobe on Mcgrady the first half and Garnett in the second half. Plus Garnett can play 4 defensive positions!!! and He doesn't demand the ball!!! He is unselfish and a perfect compliment to KOBE.
If I was Buss I would seriously think about this hard. The only thing holding me back is we would have to face the Wolves 4 times in the season and not to mention the playoffs!! LOL... :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

KOBE our real MVP :bow:
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby GoldenEye on Tue May 20, 2003 6:05 am

Let's see how fit Shaq comes back ...

Fit Shaq = unstoppable. Just remenber this :mad1:
Dynasty is not over, Lakers dynasty has begun!
GoldenEye

Postby MIKEDOG on Tue May 20, 2003 9:53 am

Let Garnett play PF and use our MLE on Brad Miller to run at C. Trade our two picks and Medvedenko up in the draft for Luke Ridnour and lets ball!

Way to go CL, that sounds doable. I respect Millers game, why has he not got much buzz as far as a possible aquisition in the off season??? What type of money does he demand?? He can play the PF spot he is a banger with a decent J. Whats up with this??? Does anyone agree???
MIKEDOG

Postby LakerPride on Tue May 20, 2003 11:36 am

sorry to be such a party pooper, but Shaq has a no trade clause to anybody but portland in his contract. Either we trade Shaq to portland for for some of the "D.A.R.E." kids or we keep him.
-LakerPride
LakerPride

Postby VargasKB8 on Tue May 20, 2003 12:08 pm

Hell yeah trade SHAQ!!!!! If minni wants him and is willing to trade, pull the plug baby. All shaq is, is a big [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] baby!!!! He'd be happy there man, cause he would still be makin money!!!! And Kobe and GArnett on the same team!!! I'm with you all, garnett can be the second option ala scottie pippen. AND kobe would finally be able to do whatever he wants. HE could lead the league in scoring and be that next jordan everyone is lookig for. Garnett and KObe, man!!! Championships for at least the next 8 years!!!!
VargasKB8

Postby Lakers4PEAT on Tue May 20, 2003 12:30 pm

why wouldn't he have a trade clause w. portland
Wurdizzlez!
Lakers4PEAT

Return to Lakers Discussion