Shawne Williams Discussion: back on a 10 day contract

Re: Shawne Williams Waived

Postby Weezy on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:58 am

Wow, I'm more than a little surprised, I did still like this guy and his hustle, effort to block shots and rebound and he seemed well liked by teammates. I can't say it's not deserved though because he has been so inconsistent and was not improving, I'm surprised because 'Antoni seems to love him and continued to play him so much. That and we need bodies right now. I guess we want to develop Kelly more. And if Kaman doesn't get some playing time NOW, then you know 'Antoni hates him.

This is probably about money as well, I don't see that it means a trade is likely or anything.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:01 pm

Strange tweets.

@EricPincus 5m

Lakers can always re-sign Shawne Williams - waiving him opens a roster spot and saves a little $

@AlexKennedyNBA 3m

Did the Lakers waive Shawne Williams because they're pursuing Hedo Turkoglu? As I said several days ago, their interest in Turkoglu is real.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby SK8 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:10 pm

Why the hell would we want Hedo 34 yo who didn't play whole year :bang: :bang: :bang: Shawne was such a nice hard working guy and big part of our rotation, what the hell is this. Man i'm pissed :disagree:
They waive Shawne, but Nash is traveling around Canada 3 months now and D'Antoni is still coaching :bang:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:11 pm

I'm surprised at the overall tone in this thread. :man10:

Most posts I read about Shawne are how D'Antoni plays him too much. I didn't want him gone, but I really think it's best anyway. I'd rather have Kelly play and as long as he was here, he was eating up minutes. Hill deserves more time, Kelly deserves a little more time, Kaman isn't even in the rotation. Heck he was eating into Wesley Johnson's minutes at the 3...

I liked him, but I'm not upset about parting ways.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:12 pm

Moving on to plan B with Pau's contract resulting in more inbound bodies....possibly.

Saving that much more money in terms of tax for our owner....reality.

Remember, all partially guaranteed contracts become fully guaranteed on the 10th. Players have to be cut and clear waivers within 48 hours. I think this move was coming either way.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:13 pm

Forget Hedo. Bring back Lamar! It's already January. It was said he was suppose to make a come back this month.
Kobe8Fan

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:14 pm

probably one of the few who didnt' like him, while his shooting form is alot better looking than MWP, the results were pretty the same in terms of his 3pt %. Also one of the dumbest players on the team in terms of giving up 3pt plays on obvious dunks where he fouling from BEHIND, wouldnt' surprise me if he lead the team in 3pt plays allowed.
khmrP

Re: Shawne Williams Discussion

Postby denimPortugal on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:15 pm

See yaa! Image
denimPortugal

Postby Juronimo on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Weezy wrote:Wow, I'm more than a little surprised, I did still like this guy and his hustle, effort to block shots and rebound and he seemed well liked by teammates. I can't say it's not deserved though because he has been so inconsistent and was not improving, I'm surprised because 'Antoni seems to love him and continued to play him so much. That and we need bodies right now. I guess we want to develop Kelly more. And if Kaman doesn't get some playing time NOW, then you know 'Antoni hates him.

This is probably about money as well, I don't see that it means a trade is likely or anything.

Agreed.

This seems out of left field.

Maybe there's a trade in the works and they needed to free up a roster spot, or it could be just a $$$ saving move.

Who knows.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Re: Shawne Williams Discussion

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:18 pm

Good.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Re: Shawne Williams Discussion: Waived - Roster stands @ 14

Postby Weezy on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:20 pm

I sure hope it doesn't mean we want Turkeyglue, dude is done. I know we want to tank, but we don't need to pay him to help us do it. I know Williams wasn't great, but with money saving moves like this the tank is indeed on. Maybe a different Pau trade is coming as he's upset behind closed doors, who knows, I can't figure out the Lakers direction right now.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:23 pm

Welp terrible timing

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:26 pm

Weezy wrote:I sure hope it doesn't mean we want Turkeyglue, dude is done. I know we want to tank, but we don't need to pay him to help us do it. I know Williams wasn't great, but with money saving moves like this the tank is indeed on. Maybe a different Pau trade is coming as he's upset behind closed doors, who knows, I can't figure out the Lakers direction right now.

They're just trying to improve the roster I think... I mean it's not like we've had any success. Let alone Shawne being key to any success we've had at all this season.

Frankly I was surprised we had that many people on the roster to begin with. Mitch usually likes the flexibility. I'd guess he's gotten some vague offers on Pau where we needed an extra spot to take back players, but also it's a way to save a couple bucks in a lost season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:27 pm

Perhaps making alternative moves to get under the tax threshold? He didn't give us a whole lot on the court but he seemed like a big component to the team chemistry.. Everyone seemed to like Shawne.. Hope he lands on his feet.
LakersN4

Shawne Williams Autograph Signing

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:30 pm

This is bad timing. I would feel bad if not many Lakers fans don't visit him. Even though his shots wasn't falling, he played his butt off with his hustle, blocks and rebounds. He was also a good teammate. Say your goodbyes to him, loyal Lakers fans.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Shawne Williams Autograph Signing

Postby jbiggs on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:39 pm

dang this is bad timing indeed
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Re: Shawne Williams Autograph Signing

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:40 pm

Merging this with the Shawne Williams thread...
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:05 pm

Shawne is a troubled guy, and I wasn't a big fan of his game, but I wish him luck.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:I'm surprised at the overall tone in this thread. :man10:

I really think it's best anyway. I'd rather have Kelly play and as long as he was here, he was eating up minutes. Hill deserves more time, Kelly deserves a little more time, Kaman isn't even in the rotation. Heck he was eating into Wesley Johnson's minutes at the 3...

I liked him, but I'm not upset about parting ways.

^^ Me, too exactly. I am kind of glad he's gone because I hated that he was getting so many minutes from D' Antoni. He showed some promise in pre-season and I guess my hopes were too high for him. He came down to earth in a big way and though he showed he could knock down threes he was pretty inconsistent out there. I just didn't like the way other guys were getting passed over minutes-wise to make room for him. He really did not make much of an impact. He was basically the last big I wanted to see on the floor - even behind Kelly and Sacre.

That said I definitely wish him luck as I know he's a had a difficult past in this league.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:42 pm

Wow, I am really surprised! MDA loved playing this guy, and all in all, he did OK for us. Nothing special, but he wasn't exactly horrible either. I certainly wish him all the best.

Who will play his minutes now? :man3:

Who are we going to sign? I feel something is going to happen.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby laakers on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:42 pm

Happy with this move. To me, all he was doing was eating up minutes that we could put towards younger players that need the time to develop, like Johnson and Kelly. I hated it how D'Antoni was starting him over better, younger players, and I guess the Laker management thought that too, and decided to waive him so D'Antoni couldn't play him anymore.
laakers

Postby Azndude2190 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:44 pm

^Johnson is only a year younger.
Last edited by Azndude2190 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:44 pm

i'll reserve judgment until things play out, but I will say that I thought Williams was one of the few players that was often in the right places in terms of help defense. and he's certainly not the 15th best player on the team.
abeer3

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:50 pm

This kind of caught me by surprise...best of luck to Shawne.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby LooN3y on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:22 pm

this guy was so one dimensional it wasnt even funny.

at first he was great he was hitting his shots, for quite a while hes just been the floor spacer that doesnt hit shots.

maybe once in a while after missing 10 threes, dude steps in and takes a deuce.

im glad hes gone, his limited offensive ability limited us, i dont get it, if your having an inconsistent year all season long from the 3, you need to look at other ways to score and make plays.

his help defense and one on one was ok, and he hustled too, but dude would someitmes be a black hole in our offense.

glad hes gone.
LooN3y

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion