Shawne Williams Discussion: back on a 10 day contract

Re: Shawne Williams Discussion

Postby karacha on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Alright, we can definitely use this guy. I like what he is bringing to the team.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:51 pm

His roster spot is basically sealed up at this point. I just hope MDA can revive that 3 point shot of his. It's been looking good so far.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:43 am

He and Henry are the front runners right now. Looking good.

I'm loving this competition by the way. Makes pre-season actually enjoyable.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:47 am

therealdeal wrote:He and Henry are the front runners right now. Looking good.

I'm loving this competition by the way. Makes pre-season actually enjoyable.

Agreed.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:05 pm

from what i've seen of the guy in 3 season games, he could be a pretty rock-solid roleplayer. liking what i've seen from him so far. and everyone loves a redemption story :jam2:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby abeer3 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:03 am

still like what i'm seeing from Williams. he's not putting up gaudy numbers, but when he gets open, teams better pay attention, and on defense, he's getting to the right spots with regularity. imo, he's blown pretty much all of the newcomers (guaranteed or not) out of the water.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:36 am

What really strikes me about him is that he works hard. He goes for boards when he can, he rotates defensively, he uses his athleticism nicely and runs the floor well...

Basically all the things I like about Jordan Hill except he can hit a jumpshot too.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:26 pm

I don't know why we're talking about him hoping to make the team. I always assumed he would make the team because he's got a partial guaranteed deal. The people competing for jobs are Harris, Landry, and Kelly.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:23 pm

Definitely a surprise I honestly didn't even know who he was, turned out to be a pretty good stretch shooter! I expect every shot of his to go in, unlike Meeks :man10:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Center Court on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:29 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:I don't know why we're talking about him hoping to make the team. I always assumed he would make the team because he's got a partial guaranteed deal. The people competing for jobs are Harris, Landry, and Kelly.

This and something feels like it's gonna be Kelly. Regardless of our wack offensive system where 3 pointers are the goal, a big man (6'11) who can shoot is a big luxury.
Center Court

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:09 am

Center Court wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:I don't know why we're talking about him hoping to make the team. I always assumed he would make the team because he's got a partial guaranteed deal. The people competing for jobs are Harris, Landry, and Kelly.

This and something feels like it's gonna be Kelly. Regardless of our wack offensive system where 3 pointers are the goal, a big man (6'11) who can shoot is a big luxury.

Every team in the league is using this type of "wack offensive system". It's just the way the league has gone now.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Magic Skywalker on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:53 am

Just like a Knick fan told me the day we signed him, he's money from the corner.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:39 am

I really, really like Shawne Williams. I had no idea when I said "no thanks" that he hustled this much, was this tall and long, was a pogo stick on defense and the boards, and was absolutely money from the corner 3. I just love the effort mostly though, reminds me of Ariza, and he is wearing his number after all. Loved that he blocked a dunk attempt by Kanter.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:27 am

Dat block on Kanter tho. Someone gif that stat. I didn't know Shawne could do that. :jam2:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:47 am

I wasn't familiar with Williams at all before pre-season, but I've been rooting for him since I read that article on him that was posted here. He's really delivered so far. Hustle, D, and 3 pointers. He's kind of a perfect stretch four for D' Antoni and I have to give Mike credit for convincing the Lakers to invite him here and standing behind him. Williams is really good for our team.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:22 pm

Lakerjones wrote:I wasn't familiar with Williams at all before pre-season, but I've been rooting for him since I read that article on him that was posted here. He's really delivered so far. Hustle, D, and 3 pointers. He's kind of a perfect stretch four for D' Antoni and I have to give Mike credit for convincing the Lakers to invite him here and standing behind him. Williams is really good for our team.

Uh oh! Credit to D'Antoni?? :man9:

Really though I like Shawne Williams on the team. I know he's struggled in the past and we're all COMPLETELY justified in our hesitation, but he's done a great job here. He's working hard, he's playing defense, he's rebounding, and he's hitting that outside shot.

He's easily the best fit for our PF spot I think when you consider his defensive effort. Kaman has worked surprisingly well offensively, but defensively he and Gasol are turnstiles.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Magic Skywalker on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:23 am

I'm very happy for this guy, honestly.

I most certainly has is fair amount of problems these last few years, which is why me and many others here doubted him (we had good reasons), but now I see a guy who's really making an effort to come back to the league and be a decent player, and most importantly, he's efforts are showing results.

He runs the court, he defends hard, and of course, he is a great shooter.

I'm not trying to hype the guy, I don't think he's a star, an elite shooter in this league or an elite defender, but he does an effort and does his job well, he's working hard, and he's quicky becoming a decent role player.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Center Court on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:14 am

Magic Skywalker wrote:I'm very happy for this guy, honestly.

I most certainly has is fair amount of problems these last few years, which is why me and many others here doubted him (we had good reasons), but now I see a guy who's really making an effort to come back to the league and be a decent player, and most importantly, he's efforts are showing results.

He runs the court, he defends hard, and of course, he is a great shooter.

I'm not trying to hype the guy, I don't think he's a star, an elite shooter in this league or an elite defender, but he does an effort and does his job well, he's working hard, and he's quicky becoming a decent role player.

Agreed and he gives us a lot of versatility. We can start he or Kaman and both can play well with Pau or with the bench.

Great pick up.
Center Court

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:02 pm

Coming in I thought great, a roster spot used up just because a guy produced under D'antoni in the past.. But I see why D'antoni likes him.. Great fit for the system & I really like his effort on defense.
LakersN4

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:58 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:I wasn't familiar with Williams at all before pre-season, but I've been rooting for him since I read that article on him that was posted here. He's really delivered so far. Hustle, D, and 3 pointers. He's kind of a perfect stretch four for D' Antoni and I have to give Mike credit for convincing the Lakers to invite him here and standing behind him. Williams is really good for our team.

Uh oh! Credit to D'Antoni?? :man9:

Really though I like Shawne Williams on the team. I know he's struggled in the past and we're all COMPLETELY justified in our hesitation, but he's done a great job here. He's working hard, he's playing defense, he's rebounding, and he's hitting that outside shot.

He's easily the best fit for our PF spot I think when you consider his defensive effort. Kaman has worked surprisingly well offensively, but defensively he and Gasol are turnstiles.

And this is basically the only credit I'm willing to give D' Antoni up to this point as our coach. The guy is still a knucklehead as far as I'm concerned.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:30 pm

Yeah he has a nice motor defensively and is a good corner 3pts shooter ... poor shooter from others spots though
wcsoldier81

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:34 pm

shotblocker... he plays well with Pau.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:11 am

I like him next to Pau & Kaman.. He should see plenty of minutes at the 4.. Once Kobe is back we can probably get away with playing him next to Hill some, which should be our best defensive frontcourt. Farmar-Kobe-Young-Williams/Hill is enough firepower to keep us in a game with anyone. Of course if Wes or Henry are playing well you can also get away with either of them next to Farmar & 24 & the defense gets even better.
LakersN4

Postby LooN3y on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:25 am

Williams is a the perfect stretch 4 next pau or kaman,

but i dont know where hill is gonna be atleast on the offense, hes most efficient int he post he can hit that short-mid J, but id like to see him in the post, but kind of hard to see that if kaman and pau is in the post with him, unless they stay outside the paint and shoot j's.

but a Farmar/Young/Johnson/Williams/Hill sounds like a pretty fun line up, even if you replace young with meeks.'
LooN3y

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:43 am

Hill is effective with Pau/Kaman because he provides the extra energy around the offensive boards.

He finishes well, he doesn't have Kwame hands, and most importantly, he provides second chance points.

Defensively, he's our best interior defender. He's physical, he stands his ground, and he's a great help defender.

Hill knows his role on this team, why he was asked to change is beyond me. He succeeds in what he does and what he does is energy.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion