Shelburne: Lakers Plan To Huddle And Assess Options

Shelburne: Lakers Plan To Huddle And Assess Options

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 am

Ramona Shelburne: Lakers Plan To Huddle And Assess Options Over Next Couple Of Days

Lakers plan to huddle and assess options over next couple of days. Don't expect anything major right away. Kupchak is a ponderer

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/sta ... 4656165888

We need a big who plays defense and plays with energy. Call K-mart, Mitch.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Shelburne: Lakers Plan To Huddle And Assess Options

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:10 am

Mitch has thrived in part by being patient and avoiding rash emotional decisions/moves. I trust he'll continue to use that process to make tweaks to this roster moving forward.

Above all, I trust the guy. He's earned it.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby KB24 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 am

we don't need a big

we need a big who hustles and can play C, a guard that defends and creates his own shot as Kobe's backup, a stretch 4 we can rely on from the bench, an athletic backup 3 who can defend 2/3s and spot up, a backup PG that can put pressure on the ball (like Morris) without being a black hole on offense, and while we are at it...we also need to upgrade our starting PF and starting SF with younger, faster players who can shoot better than Artest or Gasoft...

this team doesn't have one issue...it has 1000.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:17 am

Eh I disagree I think this team could use 2-3 things:

1. Shed the fat and get some contributors. For instance, instead of just waiving DJO, let's waive Morris and bring in West. A few extra bucks, but the production could mean wins.

2. Trade Gasol for a younger piece. One that can either shoot from three or can jump out of the building. Either would be more of an asset than what Gasol can provide.

3. Get the team to watch some movies together, throw a couple of get togethers, do something so that they start building comraderie. Just start getting that fun feeling back. The more they lose, the harder this gets, the more they lose, etc. It's all about heart and effort. If they start having fun, they'll work harder.

If all this team did was bring in Kenyon Martin or bring in Delonte West, it could honestly change things quite a bit. If they did something drastic like trade Gasol it could be the one thing that saves this season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:26 am

KB24 wrote:we don't need a big

we need a big who hustles and can play C, a guard that defends and creates his own shot as Kobe's backup, a stretch 4 we can rely on from the bench, an athletic backup 3 who can defend 2/3s and spot up, a backup PG that can put pressure on the ball (like Morris) without being a black hole on offense, and while we are at it...we also need to upgrade our starting PF and starting SF with younger, faster players who can shoot better than Artest or Gasoft...

this team doesn't have one issue...it has 1000.

Actually, I agree with most of this; when Kobe has to guard Chris Paul at the end of the game, it becomes a problem because he simply can't guard the other teams best player and hold the fort down offensively anymore; that can't happen. So, a backup 1/2 who can defend & shoot would be ideal at this point.

A stretch 4 is something we need; it creates more floor balance and space inside the paint for Dwight to operate and opens the floor up. Those two things help fix our two issues. As others have said more youth, athletisicm, would help immensley...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Damian Necronamous on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:30 am

Monta Ellis, Ersan Ilyasova, John Henson (or Larry Sanders)

FOR

Pau Gasol, Jodie Meeks

Make it happen!
Damian Necronamous

Postby XXIV on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:32 am

While I'm glad management is getting together to look at their options I hope they don't make any rash decisions. Mitch is usually pretty good at looking at various scenarios so hopefully something can be done to make things running again.
XXIV

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:49 am

I hope it's to trade Gasol and get some great pieces in return. I'm 100% convinced he has mentally checked out and won't get his fire back until he's playing for a new team that will feature him.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby last stand on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:53 am

Honestly we need so much or a player of Rudy gays caliber who will show up every night

Problem right now is the only guys who show up offensively every night are Kobe and nash. Problem.

Get Rudy gay and suddenly you have 3 consistent offensive guys. Also you upgrade athleticism and overall speed. He also plays 2 ways which also helps. Also with Rudy gay pau is gone so you just lose yourself in d'antoni and start artest at PF and slide Kobe down to SG where he belongs
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:54 am

Did anyone who's calling for Pau to be traded watch him BEAST for Spain over the summer?

Love how we've had two coaches in a row fail at using one of the best low-post scorers in the league correctly, and our answer is to trade the player. :bang:
phoenixrisingla

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:57 am

phoenixrisingla wrote:Did anyone who's calling for Pau to be traded watch him BEAST for Spain over the summer?

Love how we've had two coaches in a row fail at using one of the best low-post scorers in the league correctly, and our answer is to trade the player. :bang:

He was obviously motivated. He is not motivated in a Laker uniform because he is 3rd option and that won't change. Having a great game every 10 games or so isn't going to cut it. We need a constant. Right now, Hill is a better PF than Gasol.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:58 am

I think any deal involving Pau is going to have a third team involved; unless there is a team that wants Pau that has some attractive pieces which I just don't see. So, a third team potentially could give us what we need on our roster moving forward...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby last stand on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:59 am

phoenixrisingla wrote:Did anyone who's calling for Pau to be traded watch him BEAST for Spain over the summer?

Easier to dominate the post against Lebron, kirilenko, mosgov, and other weak bigs than it is to dominate, Perkins, ibaka, Jordan, and the other much more talented bigs of the nba

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:00 pm

Gasol should still be a very, very attractive trade asset to most teams. He just needs a change of sceneary to get that fire back and he still has the skills to be an All-Star. I hope some team really gives up a lot for him.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby KB24 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:00 pm

please...Pau started the suck fest when Phil was here and Pau started to get owned by scrubs like Hayes or Landry before he got raped by Dirk in the post-season....that was the start of the end.

Also great players will get theirs, no matter what. Can't blame the coach when a big skilled player is shooting 30% in the paint...

Pau doesn't have it, actually he never had it. But in the past he was talented enough to overcome soft play and contribute...clearly, he isn't anymore.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:02 pm

therealdeal wrote:3. Get the team to watch some movies together, throw a couple of get togethers, do something so that they start building comraderie. Just start getting that fun feeling back. The more they lose, the harder this gets, the more they lose, etc. It's all about heart and effort. If they start having fun, they'll work harder.

have Dr. Buss call Heffner for a favor and throw em a playboy orgy at the mansion :man1:
khmrP

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:04 pm

so in other words.. a trade is happening by the end of the week
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Center Court on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:05 pm

Being patient and waiting for the right big move is standard protocol with Mitch and I agree with that, but it's all the smaller, penny pinching moves that have killed us. In attempts to save few extra million we let Barnes and Sessions go. We then the ability to use the full mMLE to get a guy like Foye but saved it for Meeks. Then Pietrus was avaiable-- defender/shooter/experience with Nash and Dwight. We passed. Now we have the 26th bench in the NBA and we are sitting around thumbing ourselves. You put all this money into this team, let's try and salvage this thing. Cut Clark and Sign Delonte. Trade Duhon for Casspi. Sign a big (Kenyon/Birdman).

Do we have bigger problems? Yes. His name is Mike D'Anphony. But it is what it is.. procure a talent that'll fit his vision better. But in the meantime, try and strengthen our bench.
Center Court

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:06 pm

:jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:06 pm

KB24 wrote:

please...Pau started the suck fest when Phil was here and Pau started to get owned by scrubs like Hayes or Landry before he got raped by Dirk in the post-season....that was the start of the end.

Also great players will get theirs, no matter what. Can't blame the coach when a big skilled player is shooting 30% in the paint...

Pau doesn't have it, actually he never had it. But in the past he was talented enough to overcome soft play and contribute...clearly, he isn't anymore.

He played poorly in the playoffs in Phil's last year. True. But he played well during that season.

Since then he has been playing out of position and asked to do things that are not what he does.

Pau shooting three's isnt the coach's fault? I didnt see that much of that during his run with Phil. I saw him in the paint, scoring a lot. Then I saw him later with two rings.

You can say "great players get theirs no matter what" if you want, but schemes/systems affect players. Especially those that were never really aggressive types to begin with.

Spain played him the way youre supposed to and he destroyed. I'll bet its hard to keep your effort level at its peak when you've had 2 sub-par years because you are not being allowed to do what you do best.
Last edited by phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenixrisingla

Postby last stand on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:07 pm

We have to make a trade. This season is basically a wash but the chemistry built with the new players would be valuable for next seasons run

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 pm

last stand wrote:We have to make a trade. This season is basically a wash but the chemistry built with the new players would be valuable for next seasons run

This is truth.

Make a trade now, get the "pieces".....we'll use the 50 games left this season to gel and take the league by storm next year.

Oh yeah, eff the NBA & it's "basketball reasons" :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:
Chillbongo

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Center Court wrote:Being patient and waiting for the right big move is standard protocol with Mitch and I agree with that, but it's all the smaller, penny pinching moves that have killed us. In attempts to save few extra million we let Barnes and Sessions go. We then the ability to use the full mMLE to get a guy like Foye but saved it for Meeks. Then Pietrus was avaiable-- defender/shooter/experience with Nash and Dwight. We passed. Now we have the 26th bench in the NBA and we are sitting around thumbing ourselves. You put all this money into this team, let's try and salvage this thing. Cut Clark and Sign Delonte. Trade Duhon for Casspi. Sign a big (Kenyon/Birdman).

Do we have bigger problems? Yes. His name is Mike D'Anphony. But it is what it is.. procure a talent that'll fit his vision better. But in the meantime, try and strengthen our bench.

hindsight my friend, its hard to associate penny pinching when you have a 100mill team :freak2: , who else out there has a 100+mill dollar team?
khmrP

Postby 432J on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 pm

quit using the olympics as an "example" of how pau is still a great player

olympics is a whole different game. oh wow, he dominated some no name big guy from russia or serbia. big deal

he's not getting it done in the NBA, and that's what matters. he hasn't been the same player for almost 2 years now and he needs to go. he can't succeed playing alongside dwight, so either get rid of pau or get rid of dwight. the answer is obvious
432J

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:17 pm

432J wrote:quit using the olympics as an "example" of how pau is still a great player

olympics is a whole different game. oh wow, he dominated some no name big guy from russia or serbia. big deal

he's not getting it done in the NBA, and that's what matters. he hasn't been the same player for almost 2 years now and he needs to go. he can't succeed playing alongside dwight, so either get rid of pau or get rid of dwight. the answer is obvious

He hasnt been the same player ever since we made him a 15-20ft jumpshooter?

I agree.
phoenixrisingla

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion