we should go after rajon rondo

we should go after rajon rondo

Postby pavle34 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:37 pm

So i was hearing the knicks are after him in a package deal involving shumpert stoudamire etc. Why not we deal for him he would be a huge upgrade from nash and the others and im sure next season someone like carmelo or lebron etc would see that as enticing to play in LA
pavle34

 
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:16 pm

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:47 pm

I'd like us to.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15190
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby TheOp on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:53 pm

Im sure the Celtics would love to help us. This isnt unrealistic at all.
Image
TheOp

 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:51 pm
Location: SoCAL

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:54 pm

^^^ :man10:
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6186
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:00 am

I've always loved his game, especially during the playoffs. He's a warrior, and I actually think Kobe would love to play with him.
User avatar
Frank Dux

 
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:24 pm

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:24 am

Draft pick(s) and young asset(s) are needed to get Rondo ... we have none .

I doubt Rondo will be traded at this season's deadline ... Celtpricks will try selling him a bright future if they get a promising player through a high draft pick ... if it doesn't happen ( or Rondo isn't patient which seems likely) , he'll be traded at the Feb 2015 deadline
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:36 am

Frank Dux wrote:I've always loved his game, especially during the playoffs. He's a warrior, and I actually think Kobe would love to play with him.


Yes ... I think Kobe and Rondo probably would come close to blows several times but the competitive spirit on this team would be off the chart ..
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby Pig Miller on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:01 am

i'd say heck no, but mainly because i believe they'd want to shed the wallace contract.

or they may want us to take the jeff green contract, not as bad for a younger player, and gives us a reasonable SF, but not sure if he's worth the 9 or 10M he's currently getting
Pig Miller

 
Posts: 2859
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:24 am

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:54 am

The Lakers have two chances at him this season:

1. Pau's expiring contract. For a team looking to rebuild it'd be great to have a massive expiring that takes all kinds of money off the books and frees them up to make moves.

The problem: they would include large contracts in return to us meaning we'd have less cap room to go sign players we want alongside Rondo. That would mean probably Green or Wallace coming back. No thanks.

2. Using Pau to a 3rd team have a team send the Celtics picks and young players.

The problem: there's no team in the NBA right now that would give up young, cheap assets AND a pick in the 2014 draft for an aged Pau Gasol.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39944
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby Savory Griddles on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:32 pm

We will go after Rondo...in the Summer of 2015.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby revgen on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:12 pm

therealdeal wrote:The problem: there's no team in the NBA right now that would give up young, cheap assets AND a pick in the 2014 draft for an aged Pau Gasol.


Never underestimate the power of Dan Gilbert and Mike Brown.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21706
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby Rooscooter on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:29 pm

I assume we would have to take on some not so good contracts to make this happen. I'm sure the machines are all churning right now trying to find a way to land Rondo and get us in a position to still sign someone(s) in the off season.

I've always liked Rondo's game for a PG. He's not the "new" model that are also scorers that end up dominating the ball 80% of the time. His defense is about the best at that position, he can finish at the rim and he elevates his game when it counts.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22554
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm

revgen wrote:
therealdeal wrote:The problem: there's no team in the NBA right now that would give up young, cheap assets AND a pick in the 2014 draft for an aged Pau Gasol.


Never underestimate the power of Dan Gilbert and Mike Brown.

Alonzo Gee, Andersen Varejao, Anthony Bennett for Gasol!

Rondo to LA!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39944
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:09 am

Hill & Meeks are still on the young side & are boosting their value right now.. But it's not enough for Rondo.. I think we're going to see alot of teams interested in Hill.. There's always the chance that 1 of them offers a young player Boston covets.. If the homerun is there we'll attempt it, no doubt about that.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2466
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby charvin on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Image

Rondo looking at the stat sheet :man10:
charvin

 
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby Sirron on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:50 pm

2nd round pick for him max.
User avatar
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld
 
Posts: 17977
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:32 pm

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby LOSLAKERS on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:48 am

I like him but he just seems like a locker room cancer... I can already see him and Kobe butting heads. Either that or they become best friends.
User avatar
LOSLAKERS

 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:55 am

LOSLAKERS wrote:I like him but he just seems like a locker room cancer... I can already see him and Kobe butting heads. Either that or they become best friends.

I think Kobe would respect Rondo enough to make it work.. He goes out there & competes as hard as anyone every game.. He can be moody but winning cures all & I think we'd do alot of that lead by 2 guys willing to work for every W.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2466
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:28 am

LakersN4 wrote:
LOSLAKERS wrote:I like him but he just seems like a locker room cancer... I can already see him and Kobe butting heads. Either that or they become best friends.

I think Kobe would respect Rondo enough to make it work.. He goes out there & competes as hard as anyone every game.. He can be moody but winning cures all & I think we'd do alot of that lead by 2 guys willing to work for every W.

This. He strikes me more as a guy who isn't going to put up with s*** no matter who is on the other end. Sound like someone else?

He and Kobe would get along fine. I think it'd be everyone else we want to pair him with that we should worry about.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39944
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby jlkr on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:16 am

Rondo is much more like Kobe than he is different. So they're going to butt heads. Not a problem, Kobe respects guys who give it their all regardless of talent level. That's why he liked Fisher so much despite the flaws in Fisher's game. He liked Steve Blake for never backing down hence he was good with Mitch bringing him in.

That said, Celtics will want draft picks and young talent for Rondo. Neither of which the Lakers have. Or can get. No one is giving up a 2014 pick and young players for Gasol, put that pipe away. Gasol goes, Lakers are taking a bad contract back to go with the good player acquired for Gasol. Might be easier to target Rondo in 2015 along with Kevin Love. That's a duo I think would do very well together. Given their ability to move the ball, can fill in with shooters, slashers and rebounders, and be very competitive playing MDA style ball.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
User avatar
jlkr

 
Posts: 4144
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: your friendly neighborhood bar

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:38 am

jlkr wrote:Rondo is much more like Kobe than he is different. So they're going to butt heads. Not a problem, Kobe respects guys who give it their all regardless of talent level. That's why he liked Fisher so much despite the flaws in Fisher's game. He liked Steve Blake for never backing down hence he was good with Mitch bringing him in.

That said, Celtics will want draft picks and young talent for Rondo. Neither of which the Lakers have. Or can get. No one is giving up a 2014 pick and young players for Gasol, put that pipe away. Gasol goes, Lakers are taking a bad contract back to go with the good player acquired for Gasol. Might be easier to target Rondo in 2015 along with Kevin Love. That's a duo I think would do very well together. Given their ability to move the ball, can fill in with shooters, slashers and rebounders, and be very competitive playing MDA style ball.

Who's to say we don't wait it out until Rondo comes available in 2014/2015?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39944
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:46 am

therealdeal wrote:
jlkr wrote:Rondo is much more like Kobe than he is different. So they're going to butt heads. Not a problem, Kobe respects guys who give it their all regardless of talent level. That's why he liked Fisher so much despite the flaws in Fisher's game. He liked Steve Blake for never backing down hence he was good with Mitch bringing him in.

That said, Celtics will want draft picks and young talent for Rondo. Neither of which the Lakers have. Or can get. No one is giving up a 2014 pick and young players for Gasol, put that pipe away. Gasol goes, Lakers are taking a bad contract back to go with the good player acquired for Gasol. Might be easier to target Rondo in 2015 along with Kevin Love. That's a duo I think would do very well together. Given their ability to move the ball, can fill in with shooters, slashers and rebounders, and be very competitive playing MDA style ball.

Who's to say we don't wait it out until Rondo comes available in 2014/2015?


I said that earlier in the thread. I think that's what we do because he is going to declare for free agency regardless. And do we have a choice? We have nothing to offer the Celtics.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:07 pm

The only outside hope would be that we wait until the summer and sign and trade Hill over there with our pick or something, but is Hill really that valuable to them?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39944
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby CarFlagChris on Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:15 pm

LakersN4 wrote:
LOSLAKERS wrote:I like him but he just seems like a locker room cancer... I can already see him and Kobe butting heads. Either that or they become best friends.

I think Kobe would respect Rondo enough to make it work.. He goes out there & competes as hard as anyone every game.. He can be moody but winning cures all & I think we'd do alot of that lead by 2 guys willing to work for every W.


I don't like him because:
(a) Lakers don't need Celtic hand - me - downs (Rick Fox excepted),
(b) he is a cancer,
(c) his $12 million contract means he is too expensive,
(d) I doubt he will fit into the current chemistry,
(e) he is no longer young at 29,
(f) the Lakers need to get another starting big.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
User avatar
CarFlagChris

 
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: we should go after rajon rondo

Postby XXIV on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:15 pm

^ He's 27 not 29.
XXIV

 
Posts: 6384
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lets Go Lakers, Mr. Fundamentals and 25 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.