Should We Expect More to Come?

Should We Expect More to Come?

Postby BDG on Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:21 pm

Now that the Lakers have almost signed another NBA Championship, do you all expect anyone else to take less money and come to LA just to win a ring?

Pike, Ty Hill, Scott Williams all could jump ship to LA and get something shiny on one of their fingers...
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:41 pm

Yes, I think one more will jump on, if not this year, next year for sure...

But you know who I really hope that ones is...

Robert Horry...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Lakerqueen on Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:44 pm

If we sign anyone else, we're going to have a Portland situation.... to many good players wanting too many minutes. We don't need any of those problems. Portland has enough of them for the entire league. :bang: That team is ridiculous! We don't want to have all four of these guys at each others' throats. Karl and GP just better acknowledge the fact that they're the ones new to the system. They are not the first and second options, but the third and fourth. If we add any more big names to the mix, we could possibly lose Kobe at the end of the year because he won't feel that he is needed as much and won't feel like he's doing as much as he can. Anyway, I think this will be where the band wagon stops... except for maybe another, smaller-name free agent.
Lakerqueen

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:45 pm

There won't be any of that, they will be in check when they walk into that door. They've scored their whole career's and never won a ring. They know if they learn the Tri, play together, and play their games they will get what they came here for.

This ego problem talk is halirious to me...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Lakerqueen on Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:49 pm

I'm hoping that won't happen, and I don't really think it will... I just don't think that it's good to take a chance of that happening. Look at Portland, seriously, they have a lot of talent on that team, but so, so many problems.
Lakerqueen

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:53 pm

They have more talent than most NBA teams, no guidance...

One reason we won't turn into a Portland team...

P-H-I-L - J-A-C-K-S-O-N :jam2:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby 4Rings on Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:55 pm

I would love to have Eric Piatkowski. Hell, he plays at Staples Center so he knows the rims and he is an excellent spot up shooter. He is a big guard with very good experience. I think we are very deep at that PG spot so I don't look for the Lakers to get Lue. Pike or Jon Barry would suffice for me.

Of course you are going to have egos. Gary Payton could lead the NBA in assists this season with Kobe, Shaq, AND Malone each giving us 20 or 25 points a night. And then GP gets his 17-18 points, WHOOO! :man13: :jam2:
4Rings

Postby Lakerqueen on Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:03 am

And we definitely wouldn't have any ego problems with Pike... he'd just be too happy to leave the Clippers. :jam2:
Lakerqueen

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:14 am

If the Lakers are even remotely successful this year..duuh...PJ should get coach of the year and I don't want people sayin its cause he has four allstars to get him there. He knows how to deal with huge egos and lets not be ignorant people...all four of these guys have egos. Sure they can humble themselves, but Phil is key in making sure that everybody is happy with their role, their playing time and their contributions to the team. I mean who is he going to appoint team captains this year. Phil has got alot of work in store for him...this is not going to be just handed to him. He will coach like we know he can and he should get the Coach of the Year, rightfully so. Its really been long overdue.

And for any more free agents coming aboard, I do not want anybody that demands the ball offensively to be effective. I really want a hard-nosed defensive back-up center for Shaq primarily.....like Scott Williams. If we can't get him or any mold like him, then go for a playmaker...definitely Scottie Pippen. I like these two, cause you really don't have to teach them the triangle...they'll fit right on in. Bringin back Horry ain't bad either, but please get some back-up support for the big fella.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

how come no one even mentions scottie when they think

Postby mAtt on Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:32 am

i looked at alot of articles about the payton and malone trade going on..

the majority of them don't even consider pippen a potential addition to Lakers.. he would have to settle for 1.5mil but theres a good chance that could happen... i mean phil jackson wasn't just his coach for most of his nba carrer, and attracting him would just put a golden cherry ontop of all of this.. Just think of if it would happen?

PG- GP probably the 2nd best pg(next to kidd) in the L and easily the best defensive PG
SG- bryant hands down the most athletic and skilled player in the league
SF- pippen *ok I realized right as I was writing this that he's not the same caliber of a player compared to any of these guys... but he's still 1 of the 50 greatest of all-time, can play the point, a beast on defense, and needs no tutoring into the triangle offense(I mean come on, him and jordan perfected it)
PF- malone the greatest power forward ever
C- diesel the most dominant center EVER

and whos coaching them? none other than the zenmaster Phil Jackson. There's nothing need to be said.

The greatest part about him coaching them is the fact that he might be the only coach in the league that can handle egos this big.[/b]
mAtt

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:39 am

There isn't a trade going on with Malone or GP. They're gonna sign with the Lakers as FA's. Rumors are goin around that Pip's gonna become a Bulls player again, but u never know. We don't need Pip, we got Devean, who's younger, and has much more athletism than Pip has now. We have our reserves, and Kobe can even play the 3 spot if need be.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Holy Shaq! on Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:44 am

I'd go with George too. He's still coming into his own and with The Glove, Mailman, Shaqadoodles and the Kobster, he will be whipped into shape even faster.
Holy Shaq!

Postby crucifido on Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:58 am

Well I suppose the next role to be filled is the 3 point shooter the Lakers have been lacking and desperately looking for.

The candidtes:

Walt Williams
Anthony Peeler
Jon Barry
Eric Piatkowski

Those are the only 4 I would consider. Peeler would be my pick sheerly for sentimental value. Considering he was the guy the Lakers were hesitant to give up when Shaq came, I would think he's the guy the Lakers get. Pike isn't too good on defense and he may be of no eventual help. Walt Williams isn't the defensive player that I know Phil would want at that position also. But Jon Barry has the defense and the tenacity that the Lakers would need in a backup at the 2 spot. Either way it'll work out for the better, I mean GARY PAYTON starting at the point and Malone (possibly but very likely) at the 4 spot, my god - this is scary!
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby ITS JOEY on Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:10 am

Peeler and/or Barry would be a great addition! :jam2:
ITS JOEY

Postby prof_tolomi on Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:04 am

Peeler and/or Barry would be a great addition!

...Peeler would be my pick sheerly for sentimental value. Considering he was the guy the Lakers were hesitant to give up when Shaq came, I would think he's the guy the Lakers get... ...Jon Barry has the defense and the tenacity that the Lakers would need in a backup at the 2 spot.

Ditto, Joey & Cruc! :wink: If Plans A & B don't work, Plan C--Pike, my personal favorite. :man12: I'd bet if he be left wide-open by the D, he'd be in the mold of the guy who shot consecutive 3's in that Spurms-Mavs series... :what:
prof_tolomi

Postby fletchwon on Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:50 am

Bring Jon Barry back to the Lakers! He is a great shooter & team player. Plus he has inside knowledge on the Kings so he can show us ways to beat them by even more...
(the Polish rifle would be my 2nd choice)

:spam:
fletchwon

Postby Laker brain on Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:04 pm

get pippen in here.. I think we need people that know the triangle. Fox is out and we need a reliable back up 3 just in case dg gets injured.
Todays minimum is yesterdays maximum!
Laker brain

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:30 pm

we don't need PIPPEN... he is injury prone now. He has yet to finish a season injury free. GEORGE has been playing in our Triangle offense for 4 years now...... when was the last time PIPPEN ran the Triangle?... 5 years ago?.... and your going to tell me he is our answer at the 3 spot?...
No.... Let GEORGE develope this year and give some playing time to LUKE. I think we are 2 deep at every position except the center spot.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby BDG on Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:58 pm

Keep Horry... I don't want to see him go.

Do you realize that potential game-winner shot meant so much to Horry.

His contract was on the line.

The title was on the line.

His reputation was on the line.

We might see a completely different lineup if Horry makes that shot.
Stick with Rob, I want to see him end his career in LA.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:14 pm

yea... I hope HORRY comes back for the veterans min. He will only add to the depth of our squad. We could always swing him at the SF spot also.. since that was his position back at his houston days.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:37 pm

I would love to see Horry back, behind of course an honorable back-up center. I agree with KobeFan...we are pretty much two deep at every position except center...get a legit center and if Horry does change his mind about taking less to come back to us then sign him without any hesitation. He knows the triangle and he's less injury prone and less of age then pippen. Bring in Scott Williams first, then Horry second. Giving us a solid two-deep rotation.

PG) 1. Payton 2. Fisher 3. Pargo
SG) 1. Kobe 2. Rush
SF) 1. Fox (when he comes back healthy) 2. George 3. Walton
PF) 1. Malone 2. Horry (if he comes) 3. Medvedenko
C) 1. Shaq 2. Williams (if he comes) 3. Medvedenko

Since Fox is injured PJ could go with moving Kobe over to the SF spot. We still look real good because of the development of Pargo and Rush

PG) 1. Fisher 2. Pargo
SG) 1. Payton 2. Rush
SF) 1. Kobe 2. George 3. Walton
PF) 1. Malone 2. Horry 3. Slava
C) 1. Shaq 2. Williams 3. Slava

We gotta hope Williams and Horry come though for this to happen and thats one hell of a line-up....also our roster would have 14 players including Fox on the Injured List.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby BDG on Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:43 pm

I think you forgot about Brian Cook, Vasashi. Other than that, it's a nice roster.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:45 pm

damn...my badd....how can i forget about a 6'10 PF
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby BDG on Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:46 pm

haha its all good... it would have been embarassing if you left out shaq or somethin!

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:53 pm

:man10:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion