Should Malone wear Magic's #32?

Should Malone wear Magic's number #32?

Yes
45%
No
54%

Total votes : 35

Postby SWOL on Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:57 pm

SO WHAT IF EDDIE JONES GOES TO THE SIXERS OR THE CELTICS SHOULD RUSSELL OR DR J LET HIM WEAR #6 ..... HELL NO
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Ring It Up on Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:19 pm

swolswol wrote:SO WHAT IF EDDIE JONES GOES TO THE SIXERS OR THE CELTICS SHOULD RUSSELL OR DR J LET HIM WEAR #6 ..... HELL NO

Thats not even a comparison. Eddie Jones is NOT Karl Malone. And Shaq wasnt the Shaq he is now when he came to LA and that why I would not approved of him wearing Magic's number when he signed with LA. Karl Malone is a hall of famer and Eddie Jones is barely a player of the week.
How do I know Jesus loves me so much he doesn't want me working the whole weekend?
Exodus 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
Don't believe those lies, son! The only lies worth believing are the ones in the Bible! Can I get an amen?
Ring It Up

Postby FirstLady on Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:56 pm

Nope, uh-uh, don't do it.

Magic's number was retired so that his contribution to the organization would forever be a part of the Lakers history. Karl wearing it would be like him sharing all that Magic has done....which ain't the case. It's very noble of Karl to feel it's an honor to wear it, but the honorable thing to do would be to let Magic's number remain hanging from the rafters in Staples.

Bottom line, though..........I don't really care, as long as Karl makes a difference to the team on the floor each game.
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:45 pm

I disagree, with Karl wearing it, it will show ultimate respect for Magic and what he has done for the organization, he's not trying to "share" it..

Remember in the All star game when Iverson wore Dr J's number in respect? Same thing here, Karl is not stupid, he knows it's all in respect people, I personally think the people that don't like the idea should go talk to Magic himself.

Like i've said before -- If Magic doesn't have a problem with it, why should anyone else?
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:00 pm

Well then if Malone wants to show tribute to Magic, then why do it his 1st year as a Laker? Iverson didn't rock Dr J's number his 1st year with the Sixers, so why should Malone? Sure he did a lot for the game of bball with the Jazz, but he didn't do it for the Lakers. Kobe and Shaq never wore Magics number in a game, so I feel like no one should, and if they do, then it should be for just one game, like the All-Star game. It's nuttin against Malone or anything, it's just outta respect that he shouldn't use Magic's number durin the season. If he's allowed ot wear a retired number, then what's the point of retiring numbers??? Let's just not retire number anymore, if that's the case, if players wanna bring it back cuz they think it'll be respectful to honor the great individuals from the past. It just doesn't make sence.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Huge-O-Lakerfan on Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:41 pm

Karl Malone wearing Magic's jersey is a perfect example of what our society is becoming: a people without respect for the sacred. To the majority, nothing is sacred anymore and that is why people have become so shameful, which is exactly what Malone will become if he wears Magic's jersey. Some things are meant to be sacred and set apart as special, and Magic's jersey is one of them. If Malone wants to respect Magic, and honor him, then he should refuse to wear Magic's jersey and keep it sacred. :bow:
Huge-O-Lakerfan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:00 am

Yeap, I feel like that too... Why even retire the numbers of the great players that made names for teams, if people are gonna come along and rep that number later on to "honor" them. That just doesn't make sence. Even though Magic's coo with it and all, it just isn't right to bring that number outta retirement. If Malone takes it, then the league should ban number retirement.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:41 am

Not to mention that fact that Malone willingly took millions away from his paycheck to get here in L.A.

So let me ask you guys something, give him the jersey -- How much does that cost? :man12:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:45 pm

In the midst for him to finally get an NBA championship... It's not about the money, it's about the legacy.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby SWOL on Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:15 pm

Huge-O-Lakerfan wrote:Karl Malone wearing Magic's jersey is a perfect example of what our society is becoming: a people without respect for the sacred. To the majority, nothing is sacred anymore and that is why people have become so shameful, which is exactly what Malone will become if he wears Magic's jersey. Some things are meant to be sacred and set apart as special, and Magic's jersey is one of them. If Malone wants to respect Magic, and honor him, then he should refuse to wear Magic's jersey and keep it sacred. :bow:

yes i agree with you completely, we will win it next year with or with out Malone, Lakers tradition and legacy and the legacy of a man who brought us 5 champoinships more than any other Laker is far more important than a guy who is latching on for his own personal gain (a ring) he doent care about the organization or our tradition.......NO
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:19 pm

I dont think that he doesn't cares bout the tradition, cuz Magic said it was ok... but I dont think he should accept the offer, cuz it's gonna mess with the respect for the players of the past.
LakersGyrl2003

Malone wearing Magic's Number

Postby lakerfan4ever on Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:37 pm

At first, I was like, "It's ok as long as Magic's ok with it". But now I do see the point of retiring jerseys. The only persons that should be able to take a number out of retirement is the same person who retired it - like Magic and Jordan did.
Magic approved, but the NBA should not allow it. It's one thing to honor somebody, but it is another to break the rules (Otherwise, why have rules?). Malone should make a name for himself as a laker with another number. :man2:
lakerfan4ever

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:17 pm

Yeap! :bow:
LakersGyrl2003

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion