Should MDA be fired?

Should MDA be fired?

Yes, he ran Kobe to the ground. Coaches need to control the player's minutes.
81%
No, its not his fault. He was just respecting Kobe's will.
18%

Total votes : 104

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby easyguy on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:16 pm

When you suck, winning come at a price. The price is Kobe over playing his minutes.

Also Kobe was lucky enough to escape major injuries all through his career until now. He should be thankful that these type of injuries did not happen around his prime.
easyguy

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:40 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Real, I'm not disagreeing that the blame could go around and around. It really could. I understand how crucial it was to win these last 20 or so games of the season.

Imagine if D'Antoni had shown a little bit more responsibility before? The few games we did have everyone there. Why was Kobe playing 35-40 minutes? The games where we had Dwight and Kobe and Nash, same thing? I have been harping about his minutes all season and though a lot of our wins came through his will, was it entirely responsible decision making?

You're telling me the ONLY way we win games this year is by running Kobe that deep? No it was the easiest way. The easiest. Think about that.

Did you see our defense last night? Where was that all season? It wasn't an easy effort, but we won a damn game on the defensive end. Because we didn't have Kobe. We didn't have an easy out. Props to D'Antoni for preparing the team last night.

I'm saying yes. If we didn't have Kobe playing huge minutes this season we wouldn't have won games. Chill we're in the 8th seed for Christ's sake even WITH Kobe playing huge minutes. If he didn't play like that this season, do you think we could have done better? Do you think we'd even be in the 8th spot if he didn't play the way he did?

Where was last night's performance? It was in the other player's hearts. They didn't give that kind of effort consistently when Kobe was healthy. D'Antoni isn't the one playing the game, he isn't the one who can force Steve Blake to shoot better from the field. He's not the one who can force Pau to get 17 rebounds. Only Steve and Pau can do that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:53 pm

there was no option for "yes, but not because of kobe's injury...but because he's simply not a good basketball coach"

so i abstained.
abeer3

Postby sina on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:55 am

Any reason why MDA shouldn't be fire?

Lakers didn't play well even after MDA taking over the team in fact. They started to play well after the players-only-meeting. Since the meeting, they are basically playing triangle offense instead of MDA's up-tempo style offense. It's Kobe who runs the offense and then Pau joins in and Dwight play well with them.

With the Lakers run MDA's offense via Nash, None of our starters delivered. So, it's either we have to change the coach or blow out this team.
sina

Postby sina on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:55 am

Any reason why MDA shouldn't be fire?

Lakers didn't play well even after MDA taking over the team in fact. They started to play well after the players-only-meeting. Since the meeting, they are basically playing triangle offense instead of MDA's up-tempo style offense. It's Kobe who runs the offense and then Pau joins in and Dwight play well with them.

With the Lakers run MDA's offense via Nash, None of our starters delivered. So, it's either we have to change the coach or blow out this team.
sina

Postby Chopper on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:49 am

I think MDA is gone.

In fact, they could fire him now, have Coach-be take over for these playoffs (knock on wood) and give Kobe a shot at legendary player-coach status!
Chopper

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 am

sina wrote:Any reason why MDA shouldn't be fire?

The bolded... Why not both? This roster isn't quite right for ANY coach. It needs to be adjusted.

Also: The Lakers ARE doing things within D'Antoni's coaching. They are moving the ball EXTREMELY well without Kobe, even in the Golden State game after he went down. The only difference is they're running sets to get the ball inside. They're also pushing the ball when they have an opportunity. He HAS made an impact coaching offensively.

Defensively he's done almost nothing that I can see.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 am

therealdeal wrote:I'm saying yes. If we didn't have Kobe playing huge minutes this season we wouldn't have won games. Chill we're in the 8th seed for Christ's sake even WITH Kobe playing huge minutes. If he didn't play like that this season, do you think we could have done better? Do you think we'd even be in the 8th spot if he didn't play the way he did?

Where was last night's performance? It was in the other player's hearts. They didn't give that kind of effort consistently when Kobe was healthy. D'Antoni isn't the one playing the game, he isn't the one who can force Steve Blake to shoot better from the field. He's not the one who can force Pau to get 17 rebounds. Only Steve and Pau can do that.

It's funny because I don't completely disagree with you and I think it really is a chicken/egg issue. All I can do is lay out the evidence for my case, so I'll do that.

Yes, we are in 8th largely due to Kobe's heroics. But as a team, we're actually pretty decent without Kobe. I believe we're at least 3-0 (all against playoff teams) in Kobe's absence.

There were stretches where we absolutely needed Kobe to take over and play large minutes. The Portland game recently being one example. The game in New Orleans a month ago.

Where I disagree is that this was the only way. I saw what the team brought in 3 games without Kobe and that to me means they were taking the easy road because they have Bailout Bryant. It's a shame, his own teammates get caught up in watching his mastery.

And I will say part of the reason is there is no alpha male coach. D'Antoni may not be Mike Brown but he is still a yes man. He doesn't grasp the team by it's proverbial jersey and demand greatness. He gets frustrated like helicopter dad but most importantly doesn't have the acumen or mentality acuity to really get the best out of his players -- especially on the defensive end. There's no need to discuss his tenure in New York, and in Phoenix there was Nash. Nash truly was one of those players that could make everything better. D'Antoni couldn't bring the best out of his players. That's a coach falling short IMO. He's just as in awe of Kobe as us.

The point I am getting at is that this team DID have the ability to play with effort and hustle on the defensive end. However, they chose to take the easy way out. They chose to play haphazardly at points and rely on Kobe and not their defense or talents. The easy way. Sure, players are to blame, but it's the coaches job to run the show. D'Antoni seemed completely content with the Kobe show. Not the smartest brand of basketball, but boy was it fun to watch. Too bad we're paying part of the price for that now.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:04 am

I guess we're looking at the same thing from two different sides here Chill because I'm really with you on most of it. The only difference is that what it comes down to is:

the players COULD have been better than they were.

And I'm putting most of that blame on them. I'm not putting as much on D'Antoni. My reasoning is pretty simple too: in 2011 when Pau was awful in the playoffs we put that on Pau and most of us didn't fault Jackson for that. Phil had some other coaching issues in those playoffs, but no one really blamed him for not getting more out of his team.

In this case I'm going to do the same. And I agree with you that D'Antoni should have/could have gotten more out of the guys. We've seen it! Just like you said. They CAN play with heart and passion, they just... didn't. I'm going to hold most of them responsible for their own actions. D'Antoni plays his part and deserves his blame, but so do the players.

My only real thing is that D'Antoni deserves a little LESS blame than he's getting. He still deserves a LOT of blame, just not all of it.

And he deserves to be fired for other reasons, not necessarily because Kobe was injured. There's too many factors to just pin it on that one.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:29 am

I hear that. I'm not insinuating that Kobe's injury is the reason to fire him. You know I've been vocal about MDA as our coach from the beginning. Sure, he should get less blame, but by no means is he a good or even ok fit for this team.

The thing is, if you remember, in 2011 with Phil there WAS a ton of talk about his inability to grasp his players. "Jackson losing his touch" "Phil ready to retire" "Players not responding to Phil"....these topics/headlines/discussions were rampant.

However, the real reason for 2011 which everyone loves to forget when making flawed arguments for that season (not directed at you), is that we just made 3 STRAIGHT NBA finals runs. That takes a toll. A big one.

The two seasons prior (05-06, 06-07) our core (Kobe/Lamar/Pau/Bynum/Fisher/Farmar/Sasha) had made playoff runs for 5 years straight. I think Pau/Fisher were the only ones who missed a year (2007 in MEM, 2006 GS). Not to mention our 2011 team was not suited to run. The 5 guys we had under age 30 were Derrick Caracter, Devin Ebanks, Andrew Bynum, Sasha, Shannon, and Trey Johnson.

Dudes were gassed. Same reason SAS didn't win every year from 2003-2007.

Point being: Coach may have been mentally "out of it" but we were definitely not suited to win. We're not suited to win now, but our team is markedly better than the 2011 team, and we haven't come off of 3 deep playoff runs. In fact, we've come off of 1st/2nd rounds. Even had a shortened season. We need improvements, but we're still underperforming. You can't put it ALL on the players.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:33 am

Well there were also a lot of gaffs by Phil. Putting Pau on Dirk at the end of the game when Pau was getting torched was one that really stuck out to me.

Either way, I think most people thought, and rightly so, that Phil was done coaching. He didn't really want to come back that year anyway, but Kobe convinced him to. With Phil's heart not in it, his health failing, he just didn't end up coaching the way he should have.

D'Antoni's almost the opposite. The team failed him in the health department. If they had remained somewhat healthy he'd have looked like a lot better coach. Still not good, but people would certainly hate him less.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:14 pm

I've been hearing all day on tv today "he didn't even get a training camp with his team to install his style of play" and it's pissing me off. You can make a lot of excuses for 'Antoni like injuries, but I do not want to hear " no training camp". He came in like 8 games into the season, not 20, not 30, training camp wouldn't have meant a damn thing. Mike Brown got the same excuse last season, no real camp because of the shortened season, and it was BS then too, because he had a full one this season and we went 0-8 in preseason and 1-4 in the regular season, a crap coach is a crap coach.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Should MDA be fired?

Yes.

Kobe wouldn't have had to play so many minutes on the final stretch had D'Antoni not put us in such a huge hole by wasting so much time in trying to force an offensive scheme on a roster that wasn't constructed for it.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:02 pm

if money wasn't a factor, MDA would have been fired months ago
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:06 pm

I can't put the loss of this game and probable eventual loss of this series on 'Antoni, what do you do when your guys just don't make shots. But yeah he should be fired for the hell of it. :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:07 pm

Weezy wrote:I can't put the loss of this game and probable eventual loss of this series on 'Antoni, what do you do when your guys just don't make shots. But yeah he should be fired for the hell of it. :man10:

My thoughts exactly. LOL damn right, just for the hell of it. I want my knee-jerk reaction to hit him square in the balls.
borri

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:08 pm

We need offense........insert Morris. C'mon son.

Glock getting all the open looks today that our "shooters" had, I bet he would have made 1 or 2, which would have been more than M-no O-rris and Reeks.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:09 pm

It took him WAY too long to figure out that this roster wasn't built for "seven seconds or less."
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby OX1947 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:10 pm

If you want to fire MDA for overpplaying Kobe, I will buy that. But if you want to fire him for sucking as a coach as a whole, I do not agree. MDA has done a lot in trying to adapt this team to work to win. He was given a team without the tools he is use to, with no training camp, no prep, no nothing. It isnt right to kill the guy when the Lakers continue to throw crap in the air and expect people to run amazingly the next day. All these team that are winning are teams with coaches and players who were set and been there and done that.
OX1947

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:17 pm

MDA absolutely stinks. he is a product of nash at the height of his game. nash made him and now nash stinks we have a very stinky team :man10:
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby kingjsun on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:34 am

Yes. Why, because he doesn't understand front court, back to the basket, grind it out basketball. He is the complete opposite of a say, John Thompson.
Buckle up! This off season is going to be some ride...
kingjsun

Postby bnr034 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:25 am

Live by the 3, Die by the 3 ... isnt that the motto we always mock him when we used to play against him?? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
bnr034

Postby bnr034 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:26 am

Live by the 3, Die by the 3 ... isnt that the motto we always mock him when we used to play against him?? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
bnr034

Postby kenzo on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:32 am

It worked with PHX personel. WIth us... :man10: We suck from beyond the arc (been like this for years now).
kenzo

Postby 432J on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:09 am

the only 2 reasons why they won't fire him is 1. they dont want to pay 3 head coaches at the same time and 2. the FO doesn't want to admit that they hired the wrong guy yet again

or else dan tony would be hitting the road after the lakers are knocked out of the playoffs
432J

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion