Should MDA be fired?

Should MDA be fired?

Yes, he ran Kobe to the ground. Coaches need to control the player's minutes.
81%
No, its not his fault. He was just respecting Kobe's will.
18%

Total votes : 104

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby snakepit on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:56 am

Well, if MB is hired in Cle wouldn't his fat contract be off our books?
That would (slightly) increase the chance of MDS being fired, even if i think the one who can really get him gone is Dwight.
Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

http://www.lakersland.it
snakepit

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:39 am

Jim Buss is the one who needs to go or his authority on personnel should be revoked, even if MDA is fired Jim will just hired another ill-fitting coach.
khmrP

Postby bnr034 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:54 am

if MDA really want to keep his coaching job or make the fan appreciate him... all he needs to do really is take some post plays out of the triangle playbook and implement it into his offence... This way when the 3 ball isnt working they have 2 freaking bigs to score.... rather have this pick pick pick roll... :bang: :bang:

Its pretty sad even the other mike took plays from the triangle and ran it in the old lakers team... :freak2:
bnr034

Postby jlkr on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:11 pm

Well it's hard to say when MDA has to keep throwing units out there haven't played much together due to injuries. That's one thing all the championship contenders this year have that the Lakers definitely don't: familiarity with each other that comes from playing a lot of games together. SA, OKC, DEN, LAC, MEM from the West; MIA and NYK in the East. BOS played together very well, but they are past their prime. IND is a year away and may join the elite next season.

For all the maligning MDA gets for his defense, it has actually been acceptable against the Spurs. 89ppg and 37% shooting the last two games against them. Those numbers are good enough to keep the team in the game under ordinary circumstances. The problems as I have said stems from the forced changes in offensive schemes and the injuries leading to the lack of familiarity among the teammates. The Spurs are exposing that.

Given all that has happened, I'm fairly agnostic on whether MDA stays or goes. I think it's going to be up to D12 telling Mitch what it will take to sign up for the Lakers' max offer.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:26 pm

I really hope that Dwight puts pressure on Mitch and Jimmy. That's the only way that MDA leaves any time soon. But if Jimmy is still in charge, I don't have any faith in the next hire either.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby 432J on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:50 pm

does anyone know for sure if the lakers would be off the hook for brown's contract if cleveland hires him?

i've heard yes and i've heard no, so if anyone knows for sure please do elaborate
432J

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:57 pm

We bought out Brown, so he essentially became a free agent. Depending on if it was a lumpsum check or a payment plan, dude will be collecting from both the Lakers and the Cavs.

The Cavs will not take on the Lakers monetary obligation.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/266969718831861760
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:01 pm

That tweet was sent last fall. Brown would have wanted to get paid the remainder of his contract no matter what. So the buyout is just paying him the full amount while letting him go. The question is do the Lakers get to cut their payments if Brown gets hired elsewhere? That depends on how the contract was written. Dunno what a standard head coach's contract looks like.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:10 pm

^^^I'm not sure what you mean? Brown had 3 more years remaining, including this year. He initially signed a 4 year 18M deal (with the 4th year being a team option). He already got paid for his 1st year, so he was bought out at 11M for the remaining guaranteed money on his contract.

That's his money now...game over....whatever the Cavs do now have no bearing on how much we have already agreed to pay the man.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Does the buyout include the team option year 4? No right? So after this next season (13-14), we will be clear of his contract going into 2014 summer and season, correct?
Chillbongo

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:19 pm

^^^Yep...essentially, we're clear of him right now....the way the money lingers is if we have Brown on some type of payment plan. If it was a lumpsum, then next season, there will be no trace of him (in terms of a money trail).
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:23 pm

To clarify further: a coach's contract does not affect the team's salary cap.

Just wanted to add that if I once again missed the mark on the question.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Armani on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:32 pm

It doesn't, but it affects how much the owners are willing to spend... 'cause, no matter what, the owners still have to pay for it. If we fire MDA now, Jimmy will suffer bigger losses, and the next coaching hire might just be worse than MDA.

And before someone says, "but MDA isn't coaching", he is. He's trying. He's not a miracle worker like Pop... he's just an average coach, and there are coaches worse than him.
Armani

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:50 pm

I'm not asking for a miracle worker. I'm asking for a thought-out process in the next coach hiring for this team. Like you said, coaching doesn't influence salary cap decisions, but if we have a poor coach and try to cover our flaws by adding the wrong players - the salary cap does become an issue. And now we're in that situation with hiring Brown, getting big names, failing, then getting MDA, and not succeeding again.

Get me a guy who knows what the hell he's doing, understands all facets of basketball, and is willing to learn, and you'll end up spending less on the payroll and won't have to spend on 2-3 coaches in a 3 year span.

Also Jim, if you're listening. 2 year deals. Team option on the third. It's a team market, coaches are getting fired left and right. They don't need security. Let them prove their worth and they'll get extended. Simple.
Chillbongo

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Here is the way I look at it...we all heard "We Want Phil" at Staples Center multiple times now.

People at Staples could mean that season ticket holders were involved in the public demand.

If Jimmy wants season ticket holders to re-up, he better entertain the idea of cutting his losses to give the people what they want. After all, his father (the great and late Dr. Buss) did it...so there is precedence here.

MDA is on a 4 year 12M deal (last year being a team option). I can see a buy out of about 8M. I guess the better question is what's the price for Jimmy swallowing his ego and doing the right thing.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby VincentTH on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:40 pm

I guess the better question is what's the price for Jimmy swallowing his ego and doing the right thing.

I am afraid right there is the answer. Ain't gonna happen, unless Dr. Buss's will somehow have a clause that revoke Jimmy's position of President In Charge of Personels, under certain conditions. Probably our only hope is that the Season Ticket Holders have a revolt and speak out with their wallet. Sad but true :bang:
VincentTH

Postby lotus on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:53 pm

The only saving grace for getting arrogant MDA out of here is for D12 to condition the signing of a new contract on the Lakers getting a new coach. I thought this was going to happen last summer, but it doesn't appear that he made that demand. He should make it this summer though.

So much unnecessary drama, a.k.a. an unforced error.
Last edited by lotus on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lotus

Postby Weezy on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:55 pm

Kobe's a fan now? Throw Steve Nash out there to start when he's not right and we had a good thing going with Blake? Running Kobe into the ground? Realizing Pau and Dwight can work together like a week ago? Using no post play until finally giving into his players requests to have it? I've got something to say about 'Antoni, I'm done with him, I don't recognize him as the coach, he's a clown, a guy who cons his way into jobs apparently, a placeholder we have to pay until a real coach can be found, until Jim Buss stops being an idiot and going for former "big names" that suck and looks for a real coach that's hungry to win and knows what he's doing if he's never hiring back Phil because of his pride. I'll support my Lakers but that doesn't mean I have to support this "coach". So basically

F*** Mike 'Antoni.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:15 pm

IF D12 were to tell the FO that he will sign an extension on the condition of firing F'antoni I would immediately grant Dwight a lifelong pass from ever again being criticized by me for any thing.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:38 pm

:man10: Hashtag the f out of F'antoni, get it trending and I'm sure Kob will get a kick out of it.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Weezy wrote:Kobe's a fan now? Throw Steve Nash out there to start when he's not right and we had a good thing going with Blake? Running Kobe into the ground? Realizing Pau and Dwight can work together like a week ago? Using no post play until finally giving into his players requests to have it? I've got something to say about 'Antoni, I'm done with him, I don't recognize him as the coach, he's a clown, a guy who cons his way into jobs apparently, a placeholder we have to pay until a real coach can be found, until Jim Buss stops being an idiot and going for former "big names" that suck and looks for a real coach that's hungry to win and knows what he's doing if he's never hiring back Phil because of his pride. I'll support my Lakers but that doesn't mean I have to support this "coach". So basically

F*** Mike 'Antoni.

Here Here!! :bow: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby 432J on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:41 pm

once dan tony is fired (hopefully soon) i hope when the FO goes to make a coaching decision, they lock jim buss in a closet and put duct tape over his mouth so he has absolutely no say or influence on who they hire. brown and dan tony were 2 of the worst coaching hires i've seen in recent memory and that clown should have no say in who gets hired next.
432J

Postby karacha on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:12 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
Here Here!! :bow: :jam2:

Hear, hear?

Anyway, maybe we should lock this thread? I think the majority of the forum thinks he should be fired (for various reasons), but he probably won't be fired; at least not this (off)season. Source: Mitch.

Maybe all new MDA discussion should go to his thread, I don't know? What do you guys think?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:02 pm

TIME wrote:IF D12 were to tell the FO that he will sign an extension on the condition of firing F'antoni I would immediately grant Dwight a lifelong pass from ever again being criticized by me for any thing.

I'll remember that next year ... :man10:

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby WilliamHaven on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 pm

Every time I see this thread at the top of the page...I always answer in my mind..."yes"
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion